Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

What do people think of Actual Sunlight

Watch Dogs 2 had this to say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AaKBbNGkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The existence of sunlight means we haven't reached cyberpunk dystopia yet

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What do people think of Actual Sunlight

I feel like telling people to play Actual Sunlight should be moddable as a roundabout way of telling people to kill themselves. I can see that game actually getting somebody in that mindset to do it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles and hate the Wii controls because having a wiimote dangle off a controller is stupid as gently caress should I get the WiiU or New 3DS port?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uh 3ds cause there isn't a wii u port, just a crappy sequel

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Colonel posted:

uh 3ds cause there isn't a wii u port, just a crappy sequel

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-wii-u

?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd assume that's just a wii u release of the wii version like metroid prime trilogy so you'll still need a wii remote

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Man my old consoles are so frustrating to use. I hooked up my 360 for the first time in six years to play RDR but it runs too loudly for me to easily hear my television.

Then I hooked up my PS3 for the first time in about two years to play Dragon's Dogma but I need to connect to my PSN account. I punch in my account and password and I get a password incorrect message. I follow Sony's password recovery steps and I never get a recovery email from them. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Colonel posted:

i'd assume that's just a wii u release of the wii version like metroid prime trilogy

So would you say they ported the game from the wii to the wiiu then?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean, the wii u just has inbuilt wii stuff. you can access the wii home menu, even play gamecube games on it if you hack it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Colonel posted:

i mean, the wii u just has inbuilt wii stuff. you can access the wii home menu, even play gamecube games on it if you hack it

Yes but this is a version that runs outside the wii home menu and can be played without a controller that feels hollow, has a short rear end cord, and a weight hanging from the bottom. The questions still stands wiiu or 3DS? The screenshots I've seen of the 3DS look really jaggy and bad but I was hoping someone in here had first hand experience because I know how much goons love to rebuy games

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can use the Wii U Gamepad to play the version released on it. No waggling required. Also while the 3DS port isn't bad the Wii U version still looks better.

So unless you care about it being portable, get the Wii U version.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nachos posted:

The existence of sunlight means we haven't reached cyberpunk dystopia yet

If greenhouse gasses don't get us there nuclear winter will

Its weird to think of a scene in Blade Runner during the day, though. So much of Noir and Cyberpunk depends upon night time lighting. (Brick was interesting for this reason)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Colonel posted:

i'd assume that's just a wii u release of the wii version like metroid prime trilogy so you'll still need a wii remote

Nah it's a virtual console release and you can play it on the Wii U gamepad or, I assume, a Wii U Pro Controller.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sunlight looks nice and feel nice, and contains vitamins, I crave it all the time

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

christ, we've all done lovely things, look at my entire 20s!

I can't, I don't think I was born yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

So, sure part of it is low expectations exceeded. SoM looked like a bad movie tie-in Assassin's Creed knock off.

And if you play the game the way you described then sure I can see how the game wouldn't seem all that innovative to you. I kind of feel that way about the Metal Gear series where I feel like cut scenes get in the way of gameplay, so I don't have much time for the games. I understand that the majority of the Metal Gear fanbase disagrees with me and the genre-bending stories mixed with meta-gameplay moments and decent stealth action is a huge draw.

So what's special about Nemesis is that it's a pinball machine of emergent narratives with admittedly thin characters that come out of the woodwork as a result of you playing the game. In a medium full of pre-scripted bosses or generic foes, this is a third thing. Bosses that emerge because of things you did. And thanks to the hierarchy systems and the way traits show up, this is a game where you can decide to play Sim Orc and spend all your time meddling in the shadows, changing the outcomes of contests, picking orcs that you rise through the ranks and nurturing your own orc crime family. Sure, if you hit the skip button on all that, it wouldn't seem that interesting./ But if you decide to get stuck in the systems, there's a lot of fun to be had.

SoM's implementation of the system was thin, much as Assassin's Creed 1 was really more of a tech demo of a much better game. The hope is that SoW will be something special as they've had more time to give orc more traits, more names, more faces, more voices, more personalities. And maybe it'll suck for other reasons, or maybe they'll fall down on getting the Nemesis system right. But very few games have even tried to make such a system, even as many game developers have talked about emergent narratives for ages.

My main problem with the nemesis system was that if you actually did sidequests and took upgrades you quickly became an unstoppable demigod and the potential nemeses were little more than speedbumps. I did a playthrough where I only took a few of the less overpowered upgrades and intentionally failed all of the last chances, and the whole emergent story thing worked much better. It sucks to have to play that way to make the game work, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dont play xenoblade on 3ds is so ugly you cant see poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Moon Monster posted:

My main problem with the nemesis system was that if you actually did sidequests and took upgrades you quickly became an unstoppable demigod and the potential nemeses were little more than speedbumps. I did a playthrough where I only took a few of the less overpowered upgrades and intentionally failed all of the last chances, and the whole emergent story thing worked much better. It sucks to have to play that way to make the game work, though.

It also doesn’t help that once you get that powerful you stop dying and the nemesis system doesn’t get a chance to run unless you remember to let it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blue Reflection is currently giving me feels just because of how good the music is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I gotta be honest I didn't get why people were so into Journey. I didn't hate the game but it felt like a very disposable experience to me, like McDonalds food or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

I gotta be honest I didn't get why people were so into Journey. I didn't hate the game but it felt like a very disposable experience to me, like McDonalds food or something.

Nah, if it were like McDonald's gamers would be rioting in the streets over dumb poo poo

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The end of Terra in FF9 is extremely sick.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

Sunlight looks nice and feel nice, and contains vitamins, I crave it all the time

fact check: the sun contains no vitamins

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The sun is a mass of incandescent gas; a gigantic nuclear furnace.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Sun is the ultimate enemy of the Earth. Even as we speak it plans to one day explode, taking us along with itself...

This cannot be allowed to happen, so we must act quickly and destroy it forever before it can strike.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

False. The sun is a miasma of incandescent plasma. The sun's not simply made out of gas.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

FF9 is extremely sick.

:yeah:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:hai:

I just need to get 30 frogs and then I'm all set to go stomp Kuja's face in.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

precision posted:

This is the best post out of this entire discussion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Olive! posted:

This is the best post out of this entire discussion.

https://youtu.be/sLkGSV9WDMA

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Raxivace posted:

It's a very simple game that freely invites the player to help construct its own significance. Your connection to Journey is very tied up in what emotional state you're in when you play it. Many see it as a metaphor for accepting death, or recovering from an illness/addiction, and if you're in that vulnerable state of mind, it's easy to see how you can draw a lot of meaning from the narrative. If you're not really thinking about those things or not at all invested in its storytelling then it will of course seem like a really sparse experience.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the sun is what??

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Journey is quite clearly about global warming actually

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

the sun is what??

precision posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's just a theory

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I was in Scotland a couple months ago and boy if you hate the sun have I got a place for you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I was in Scotland a couple months ago and boy if you hate the sun have I got a place for you.

High-five broken avatar buddy :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

that's just a theory

a G LAME theory :xd:

• Locked thread