Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dabir posted:

Getting hugged puts a small dose of hugs in you.

Can you get addicted to it?

Can I weaponize it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Probably not pure hugs, but you could kinda use pure love as a non-lethal weapon in a way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fun fact: you can crack bee eggs into a beaker and get Bee. Anything with Bee in it will make people cough up bees if they drink it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sixfools posted:

I've been addicted to this game for months now but I play on Yogstation, how different are the Goonstation servers? I mostly play QM (yelling at cargo techs is fun), Botanist (bees on Yog don't do too much but it's fun to give them mindbreaker toxin when I'm antag), shaftminer/lavaland roles, chemistry, and virology. Learning a new server and station seems daunting when I'm used to Box-Stations layout and finally know the ins and outs.

From what I understand Botany is very different on goonstation?

Other than the wiki, literally the best thing to do to learn the new station is to sign up as maybe engineer, probably HoP, or best bet, the captain, and just wander around aimlessly. you probably already have the controls down pat(I don't know if they're different per server), so just take your all access ID(or your home made AAID(or your toolbox and engineering knowhow)) and see where you can go and what you can do. When I was learning the game, I played engineer almost exclusively. Once I got the hang of setting up the engine, I hosed around learning door and wall hacking and impromptu survival skills. Knowing how to get into places you have no business being is like goonstaton 101, and if you don't know, the wiki will tell you. And what the wiki won't tell you, someone on the station should know.

If you want to be more laid back though, definitely go HoP or captain. On the regular server(can't speak for the RP server), both those roles are basically only there so the player can gently caress off and do whatever, and they have 0 responsibility and easy all access. My first ever round as captain, way back on Donut station, I did a round around the station, saying hello to everyone and getting acquainted, then I ordered the bar tender to mix up as many of the wildest cocktails he could make. While he was busy, I shanghaied the QM and ordered him to spend the budget on party crates, and then to help me move them into the bar. The party was announced, the station arrived, and much fun and drugs were had. Then some traitor shot me with a radbow, tossed a pipe bomb into the crowd, and the survivors piled out to the shuttle, leaving me dying, drooling, passing out and horribly hosed up on whatever I had ingested. It was a good party.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Luigi Thirty posted:

Fun fact: you can crack bee eggs into a beaker and get Bee. Anything with Bee in it will make people cough up bees if they drink it.

funner fact: drink one unit of Bee at a time to maximize your bee buddy production*.

*this will also do a lot of tox damage. grow some venne and slap on charcoal patches between bee barfs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can you mitigate that with Charcoal in the same beaker?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Space Station 13: You can safely puke up bees if you drink charcoal at the same time

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you mitigate that with Charcoal in the same beaker?

i think it kills the bee reagent in you, so you don't get enough bee to pukespawn. my usual Bee Strats is to make bee pills, eat one, then slap on a few charcoals after the bee spawns since that's when you take the TOX damage.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The bee reagent needs to be in your system long enough to puke up the bee. Flushing it with charcoal will prevent that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dieting Hippo posted:

i think it kills the bee reagent in you, so you don't get enough bee to pukespawn. my usual Bee Strats is to make bee pills, eat one, then slap on a few charcoals after the bee spawns since that's when you take the TOX damage.

Have you considered cryostalane/cryoxadone or using the cryo tubes?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Sixfools posted:

I've been addicted to this game for months now but I play on Yogstation, how different are the Goonstation servers? I mostly play QM (yelling at cargo techs is fun), Botanist (bees on Yog don't do too much but it's fun to give them mindbreaker toxin when I'm antag), shaftminer/lavaland roles, chemistry, and virology. Learning a new server and station seems daunting when I'm used to Box-Stations layout and finally know the ins and outs.

From your description, there's some significant differences I can note right off the bat: First, roles on Goonstation are more streamlined, such as just one Scientist job that applies to all the different labs, no adventure zone-specific roles (I assume that's what "lavaland" means, though there are miners, they mine asteroids), and pathology being part of medbay and the Doctor job (and generally ignored because the vast majority of its uses are only valuable to traitors, and even then, it's usually more trouble than it's worth). I don't know what a cargo tech is, but odds are their job is either just something the QM is expected to handle themselves, or is one of the many minor tasks ostensibly left to Staff Assistants (good luck getting them to do it, though). Critters like Space Bees don't have the kind of object interactions or cardiovascular simulation that humans/monkeys do, so they can't be injected with reagents. Further, outside of certain secret chems and a couple narcotics, the chemicals, poisons, and so on are all more on the side of magic realism (i.e., real chemicals with either exaggerated or reduced effects, depending on real-world lethality) rather than whatever "mindbreaker toxin" is.

As for player culture, I don't know how Yogstation works, but on Goon (at least on the non-RP server), there is only the barest of expectations for you to actually do your job, and you can even just break into another department and do someone else's job as long as you don't end up pissing someone off in the process (it's better to do this with roles that aren't already occupied). While security and command staff (and the barman) are best-equipped to do it (though an experienced Scientist is by far the most dangerous), and it's sometimes mildly discouraged, any member of the crew is technically free to kill confirmed antags (or unconfirmed antags, if they're lucky enough to have guessed correctly). Also, definitely read the wiki, including every bit of material relevant to the jobs you plan on doing.

Hopefully that'll help you get acclimated more quickly. Oh, and if someone knocks you down and farts on you, that's just the Goonstation way of saying "hello". The proper reply is to beat them unconscious and steal their shoes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sixfools posted:

Just read the rules on the wiki and hop on LLJK2. Not sure if Yog has the same controls, but there is a tgstation control mode, so check the FAQ. Try grabbing chaplain your first round so you have your own space to familiarize yourself with controls; people rarely come in except to hide and it's a mostly RP role so you can just gently caress around without upsetting anyone. The other day I saw someone walk into the confessional and he said he was surprised I was actually there, and that he was just hiding from the clown. I blessed him and wished him luck, then went to the bar to pick up some more wine and try to convince the bartender to let me in to make more holy water.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

I don't know what a cargo tech is, but odds are their job is either just something the QM is expected to handle themselves, or is one of the many minor tasks ostensibly left to Staff Assistants (good luck getting them to do it, though).

Goonstation used to have Cargo Tech/Medical Tech/etc roles and yeah they were streamlined away. When played 'straight' they were just the regular job but with shittier access and starting gear, and when played for comedy/chaos were just staff assistants without the distinctive gray jumpsuits and access to their supposed job area instead of maintenance. The good news is that no one really expects you to give a poo poo about your job or be good at it (note that I've not tried the RP server but expectations are likely higher there), so it's not a big deal if you take engineer and just spend a round or two fiddling with the engine trying to figure it out and accidentally incinerating yourself/all of engineering in the process.

In any case the most noticeable differences are likely to be cultural. Goonstation has a fairly high tolerance for gameplay shenanigans, but a very low tolerance for unfunny memery in chat compared to other servers with similar shenanigans tolerance.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

hailthefish posted:

Goonstation used to have Cargo Tech/Medical Tech/etc roles and yeah they were streamlined away.

and by streamlined away we mean their shuttle crashed. into the ice moon. forever.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i remember the day we crashed all the superfluous assistants on the ice moon.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

streamlined is code for assistant genocide

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darkman Fanpage posted:

All you have to do is open a portal to the ice moon and tell people "free stuff on the other side". The rest sorts itself out.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I still love how, on the day that the solarium bad ending happened for the first time, a bunch of assistants tried to interfere/get involved with the attempt and ended up getting exiled to Mars.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

All you need to do to get rid of people is build a one-way mechanics teleporter that requires cash to use.

I guarantee you that someone will pay for the privilege of exiling themselves to the space diner.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
They shoulda sent the solarium nerds to mars

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Anticheese posted:

All you need to do to get rid of people is build a one-way mechanics teleporter that requires cash to use.

I guarantee you that someone will pay for the privilege of exiling themselves to the space diner.

Can mechanics teleporters go across z levels? I feel like this didn't work the last time I tried.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Isaac posted:

They shoulda sent the solarium nerds to mars

This.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

TheDK posted:

Can mechanics teleporters go across z levels? I feel like this didn't work the last time I tried.

If they could I feel like it's something we'd see more of from traitor mechanics so I don't think so.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

TheDK posted:

No but last I checked you could totally copy the telescience teleporter for multiple z-level shenanigans.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Vonnie posted:

No but last I checked you could totally copy the telescience teleporter for multiple z-level shenanigans.

So maybe mechanics teleporter > graviton launcher type thing > science teleporter > tracking beacon placed on a z-level?

Something to try tonight...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Save yourself some trouble and use the command teleporter instead since you can control exactly where it outputs via teleport beacon. I've set up janky tech outpost teleport rube goldberg deathtraps before and people use gravitons into the portal ring for centcomm shenanigans, so I can confirm it works fine.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

Save yourself some trouble and use the command teleporter instead since you can control exactly where it outputs via beacon. I've set up janky tech outpost teleport rube goldberg deathtraps before and people use gravitons into the portal ring for centcomm shenanigans, so I can confirm it works fine.

ah yeah, command teleporter, that's what I meant. Nice!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Just figured out genetics a few days ago and it's pretty cool. I have a G13 pad already so I programmed keys for genetics use and I can decode genomes ridiculously fast for someone who's been doing it for less than a week. It makes antags bombing the cloner as infuriating as something in a game can be, so maybe I've found my niche. Telescience is fun, but there's only so much you can do with it if you're not a traitor and the rest of the crew would rather do their own thing.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to put a teleporter pad in the combustion room without it combusting? I was thinking you could RCD the tile under it but that may not work.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I feel there should be a 'purge the station of all Staff Assistants'/'Make sure there are no Staff Assistants on the station Z-level' traitor objective.

Also 'superfluous assistants' is kinda a redundant phrase. They're all useless, thieving, cockroaches by default.

(A Staff Assistant killed my parents)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Staff Assistants are expendable. They know this, you know this. The trick is to make them suffer and die for your benefit before they start making their own fun.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just learned from GBS that Bufotenin is the frog venom that gets you high. Thats where Buford Tenins name must come from.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Isaac posted:

I just learned from GBS that Bufotenin is the frog venom that gets you high. Thats where Buford Tenins name must come from.

It's simultaneously an apropos-of-nothing (and possibly unintentional) pun on the name of Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen, from Back to the Future Part III.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

monolithburger posted:

I feel there should be a 'purge the station of all Staff Assistants'/'Make sure there are no Staff Assistants on the station Z-level' traitor objective.

Also 'superfluous assistants' is kinda a redundant phrase. They're all useless, thieving, cockroaches by default.

(A Staff Assistant killed my parents)

this is incorrect. there are assistants out there that only want to assist but end up listlessly wandering the station causing trouble as they have no direction in their life. give an assistant a task and they might just surprise you. or murder you for your id.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I usually just start fires in the hallway unless someone asks me to help with something, give staff assistants a chance to do their jobs and they'll do it, otherwise they'll make their own fun, which is usually vandalism and theft.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If im staff assistant i just stroll around breaking through walls and windows like im the kool aid man

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of which, I wish there was a kool aid man mutation that let you burst through a nearby wall. Possibly only if the room has one or more people in it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Eox posted:

Speaking of which, I wish there was a kool aid man mutation that let you burst through a nearby wall. Possibly only if the room has one or more people in it.

Hulk mutation, and/or a beaker full of thermite and pholgiston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just had a canbomb explode and there was 0% plasma. Im confused