Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So you admit the DR is a better bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
In a brief moment of lucidity: run! Run to a more predictable manufacturer! Save yourself, in the name of those of us who lack the strength!!

I've been distracting myself with riding my DRZ and driving my new-to-me xB around and just sitting there looking at it seeping oil all over my garage and attracting hornets was giving me anxiety so I took it to work today. rear end backwards tire and all, I still love it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought you'd made another, even bigger mistake but then I realised you're talking about a toyota.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

So you admit the DR is a better bike?

I'm not sure I was capable of arguing this from the moment I got the DR sorted. The KTM is better in almost every way, on and off road, in performance. That said, it's not "nearly 7x the cost" better. If I were rich, I'd keep all of my bikes, but I'm not and it was time to move on. Can't say no to getting all my money back when I jumped ship.

My DR is totally charming and I'm happy with my choice.

Revvik posted:

In a brief moment of lucidity: run! Run to a more predictable manufacturer! Save yourself, in the name of those of us who lack the strength!!

My 690 never gave me any real trouble, and definitely not where it mattered. I'm horrified by your SMT experience.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I thought you'd made another, even bigger mistake but then I realised you're talking about a toyota.

I mean...

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

My 690 never gave me any real trouble, and definitely not where it mattered. I'm horrified by your SMT experience.

FWIW it has mostly been the poo poo local support for it exacerbated by my inexperience as a mechanic and previous invasive modding.

But not all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I'm not sure I was capable of arguing this from the moment I got the DR sorted. The KTM is better in almost every way, on and off road, in performance. That said, it's not "nearly 7x the cost" better. If I were rich, I'd keep all of my bikes, but I'm not and it was time to move on. Can't say no to getting all my money back when I jumped ship.

My DR is totally charming and I'm happy with my choice.

That's a lot of words to type yes :)

Revvik posted:

I mean...

What is that in the boot? Also sick rims.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Slavvy posted:

That's a lot of words to type yes :)

What is that in the boot? Also sick rims.

A very silly spot to put the air tank for the bags. I suppose there isn't much space elsewhere though.

Also nice desk lamp.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It's better than where the PO had it. The air tank used to just sit on top of a subwoofer cabinet:

Feeds the aftermarket air ride suspension, which is actually kind of nice. Spent an afternoon gutting the amp & subs, then another wiring in a cabin kill switch for the compressor.
I wanted a station wagon that I could comfortably cruise in and haul pets / handle fiancé fetch quests so I ditched my rusty MS6. Not going to be much of a bike hauler, but a trailer would just enable my bad habits more.

The desk lamp is my little helper.

Coydog, I wish I had your luck here though. You basically got to ride a 690 free for a year. Like, drat.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 9, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
no luck about it, ktm prices in ga are tarded

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Got a new pipe. Didn't intend to buy one at this time, but I was getting so sick of my last one, and this one is a :siren:limited edition:siren:, and since I'm a sucker for that kind of poo poo...

Now I just need my PowerVision to arrive so I can get a proper tune for it. The FP3 kinda sucks.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

no luck about it, ktm prices in ga are tarded

SMC prices in general are retarded, I just got a screaming deal on it and passed it on when Coydog bought it from me

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah, I mean, at one point i considered upgrading the drz to one but when I saw the prices all I could do was eyeroll and then go look for a sportbike

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Uggg PO wiring hacks on the Futura.

The the load side of the fuel pump relay's circuit is supposed to go through the ECM to ground so the ECM can open or close that circuit and control whether the pump is on or off for that 3-second prime before you start the motor.

Somebody cut that wire from the pump to ECM and replaced it with a wire from the pump straight to ground. Apparently that was a common Aprilia work-around to the problem of the ECM not having enough capacity through that circuit to ground the pump, ignition, and injection all at the same time. Now I wonder about the condition of the ECM. I am imagining a bunch of bulgy, weepy capacitors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That must make starting a breeze!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

~ITALIAN BIKES~ mixed with PO fuckery sounds horrible. My deepest condolences.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What if the PO was also Italian :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dagen H posted:

What if the PO was also Italian :allears:

This is impossible. The bike wouldn't make it long enough to sell. No one has ever bought an Italian bike from an Italian PO

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I realize I'm cursing myself here, but there was no PO fuckery with my used Italian motorcycle, and I've had no problems with it to date beyond a turn signal wire that got loose in its connector

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Jazzzzz”" post="“477243056”"]
I realize I’m cursing myself here, but there was no PO fuckery with my used Italian motorcycle, and I’ve had no problems with it to date beyond a turn signal wire that got loose in its connector
[/quote]

You're bike is now on fire. RIP

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
By process of elimination and laws requiring PO fuckery, this means that you are going to be the PO fuckery. :ohdear:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On the bright side a microsquirt should be able to run it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

On the bright side a microsquirt should be able to run it.

Hey do you know anything at all about tuning these without a dyno? I have a 1200cc hole in my pocket I'd like to fix but the only dyno operator in the country who wants to deal with MS is on the other end of my island.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

By process of elimination and laws requiring PO fuckery, this means that you are going to be the PO fuckery. :ohdear:

I have added electric accessories...

Speaking of Italian bikes I always thought "Ducati" translated roughly to "everything costs more" but then I bought a BMW. Holy gently caress, no wonder 80% of their rider base is dentists. poo poo's retarded, yo.

Example: buying rider and pillion Sargent seats for the Multi = ~$600, a not inexpensive proposition. GS? $800. No extra features, and the seats are about the same size. I should quit my day job and start making/selling "farkles"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Hey do you know anything at all about tuning these without a dyno? I have a 1200cc hole in my pocket I'd like to fix but the only dyno operator in the country who wants to deal with MS is on the other end of my island.

Not microsquirt specific, but I've done tuning away from a dyno.

I tuned my 06 Buell's ECM with laptop in backpack data logging on the narrow band o2 sensor. Took an iterative approach and used a log analyzer to help make adjustments. Probably like 20 half hour rides. It helps to mark your throttle at like 6 different positions and use your brake to apply load to different conditions focusing on a specific throttle position for each ride.

I was able to have ECMSpy (Buell specific ECM tool) record all the ECM data in a .msq (megasquirt format) file. Then I had Megalog Viewer analyze the logs and suggest places to adjust fueling. I limited myself to only adding fuel in small increments and re-logging. Called it done when Megalog Viewer only suggested removing fuel.

Would take fewer runs if I had a wide band o2 sensor, but it worked. I rode it to Texas and back over 6000 miles in two weeks on those maps, from sea level 90F 80% humidity to 14,000ft 45f and dry.

I'd use a dyno if possible; the microsquirt allows real time modification of fueling maps so it will go way quicker that way.

A window into my madness:

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 10, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:saddowns: I'm just trying to figure out why tuneecu says my oil cooled bike has a coolant temp reading that climbs with engine temperature despite not having coolant or a temp sensor of any kind anywhere, and why the seemingly dyno-tuned maps are all super duper rich so it has no power.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Look for an oil temp sensor or head temp sensor? The Buell has one, it's air/oil cooled.

With my older Buell a PO had turned off the O2 sensor in the ECM and tuned it super rich so that any time I went above sea level it would drown in fuel. That is why I went down the data logging rabbit hole.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It 100% doesn't have a sensor and the wires on the corresponding terminals for the ECU go nowhere, it's a totally imaginary reading that seems to come from nowhere.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Chinese headlamp go!

Wiring loom goes in tonight, I was just waiting on a crimper. I got the cheapest lights possible and a small 12V RC battery to get me passed tech inspection in Brand X enduros.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

It 100% doesn't have a sensor and the wires on the corresponding terminals for the ECU go nowhere, it's a totally imaginary reading that seems to come from nowhere.

I can't remember which specifically, but I was reading about a vehicle with an ambient temperature sensor built into the ECM itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I can't remember which specifically, but I was reading about a vehicle with an ambient temperature sensor built into the ECM itself.

Most modern cars have this but the ecu is a microsquirt, it can't even run the coils without a separate igniter module. Plus the readings look like legit coolant readings, if it were air temp it'd be a lot lower than 70-odd degrees C after a few minutes, and if it were oil I'd expect it to be a lot higher than that. Nothing I can find in the MS literature mentions having to fake out the ecu's temp input for an air cooled motor.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Where's the thing mounted, behind the pipes?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's in the tail section where you would normally put such things. It's a bandit 1200 and I have examined every square centimeter of the engine and there is definitely no temperature sensor of any kind, no o2 sensor. It has a very plain setup with a pickup on the crank, TB's off a gixxer fed by an in-tank pump from some other suzuki model and wasted spark ignition through the factory coils. It ran well enough for the PO to write it off by sliding into a kerb and flipping into the roadside ditch. Unfortunately it came at me with no exhaust aft of the headers, no instrument cluster (based on the connector it looks to have been the factory digital unit) and a purchase slip from a clueless insurance company so I have no idea who built it or tuned it.

I have consulted with one MS greybeard who upon plugging into it immediately remarked on how massively rich the tune is; I had trouble starting the bike until he played around with some values, now it starts and idles fairly ok but rides like it's got cam timing out by a tooth (it doesn't, I checked): smooth enough but super gutless and slow to rev.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it possible to hook up a mega/microsquirt to a bike and use it for only fuel injection, leaving the existing ignition system in place?

I can't see why not, but just curious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Is it possible to hook up a mega/microsquirt to a bike and use it for only fuel injection, leaving the existing ignition system in place?

I can't see why not, but just curious.

I would assume so seeing as people run them on older cars with distributor ignitions.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
Have you tried putting a resistance between the coolant sensor line and sensor ground? If it's supposed to use a resistive sensor it may not work with an open circuit.
http://www.microsquirt.info/uswiring.htm mentions a ntc sensor, based on the review at https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-connector/ a few hundred ohm may do it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah most distributor systems work. It will read a signal off the distributor for the cam position and and send the firing signal to the coils. You can run them fuel-only, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tzam posted:

Have you tried putting a resistance between the coolant sensor line and sensor ground? If it's supposed to use a resistive sensor it may not work with an open circuit.
http://www.microsquirt.info/uswiring.htm mentions a ntc sensor, based on the review at https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-connector/ a few hundred ohm may do it.

Interesting idea, although the level of professionalism evident in the install and harness imply that if that were necessary the person would have done it already. How do I go about selecting an o2 sensor so I can try butt-dynoing it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Summit racing has some. Many options available.

You can't butt-dyno though. You need to at least datalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Played in the mud. Wasn't expecting so much mud today, had to turn back. Stock tires not up to this task.