Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm looking for a game with a great sense of progression, that can be played in short bursts (around 1hr at a time maximum). I used to love RPGs but lately I don't have the time to commit to them, and I get increasingly bored by all the dialogue or the sheer time between any meaningful upgrade. I prefer strategic thinking to twitch action.

Ideally it would be a game with clear goals (even if you have to set them yourself), a sense of constant progression and some management skills needed - some kind of economic / building / commerce simulator? I played EU4, civ6 and Tropico 5 to death and they are good examples of what I crave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TorakFade posted:

I'm looking for a game with a great sense of progression, that can be played in short bursts (around 1hr at a time maximum). I used to love RPGs but lately I don't have the time to commit to them, and I get increasingly bored by all the dialogue or the sheer time between any meaningful upgrade. I prefer strategic thinking to twitch action.

Ideally it would be a game with clear goals (even if you have to set them yourself), a sense of constant progression and some management skills needed - some kind of economic / building / commerce simulator? I played EU4, civ6 and Tropico 5 to death and they are good examples of what I crave

Battle Brothers comes to mind.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

StrixNebulosa posted:

Battle Brothers comes to mind.

Tried it but it kicked my rear end so hard that I lost all will to play :smith: I am more of a casual gamer, but I guess I could try again, actually jagged alliance 2 is another of the games that made me really happy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not a business or city sim but check out Stardew Valley if you haven't already.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Tried it but it kicked my rear end so hard that I lost all will to play :smith: I am more of a casual gamer, but I guess I could try again, actually jagged alliance 2 is another of the games that made me really happy.

Here's an LP where Jade Star shares tips on how to play! Also definitely put the difficulty down low, give it another go!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah Battle Brothers can kick anyone's rear end to begin with, but once you figure out some dos and don'ts and learn to pick your battles, it's not too hard. No shame in playing on the easiest difficulty just to learn the ropes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Are there any good survival games for the iPhone that are worth checking out? Not really interested in the type of game where you check in every hour or so to see what progress has been made while not playing. The only entry in the genre I've played on mobile is Organ Trail.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TorakFade posted:

What do you think about Cities: Skylines?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Please recommend the best weed game, tia

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rez, probably

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Planetship

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Invisible Inc my man

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

TorakFade posted:

I see people recommending Battle Brothers or Invisible inc.

Of course these recommendations don't apply if you haven't tried the superior option yet: Xcom2 + dlc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I see people recommending Battle Brothers or Invisible inc.

Of course these recommendations don't apply if you haven't tried the superior option yet: Xcom2 + dlc

I would argue that both games are better than XCOM 2.

e: I mean this is like, "these two games are great. this game is really good." so it's not like you can go wrong here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
XCOM 2 seemed like a step backwards from vanilla XCOM which was already only okay. :shrug:

I only played vanilla, though, maybe the DLC makes enough of a difference.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would argue that both games are better than XCOM 2.

e: I mean this is like, "these two games are great. this game is really good." so it's not like you can go wrong here

What about with War of the Chosen?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

What about with War of the Chosen?

I'm not rich enough to own it so I can't tell you yet.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
War of the chosen adds the diversity that was lacking in Xcom games. It's really good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I waasnt super hot on vanilla but with wotc it's probably better than the first one

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Diving into Rez in memory of page 420.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Goddamn am I bored. I looked over my Steam list and collection of other bullshit and nothing is really grabbing me.

I want a fuckaround game. Something I can get into that's open-ended and silly and chaotic and broken and lets me get up to no good. A couple weeks back I was having a really good time being a piece of poo poo in My Summer Car but wound up running out of things to do. Any ideas?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Goddamn am I bored. I looked over my Steam list and collection of other bullshit and nothing is really grabbing me.

I want a fuckaround game. Something I can get into that's open-ended and silly and chaotic and broken and lets me get up to no good. A couple weeks back I was having a really good time being a piece of poo poo in My Summer Car but wound up running out of things to do. Any ideas?

Saints Row 2-4

No Man's Sky

Dungeonmans

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Saints row is very good for loving around. So is Heat Signature if you wanna gently caress around in a structured context (hotline miami in space).
You can do missions the reasonable way, or you can throw wrenches and set off bombs and blow up windows and hijack ships and use them to ram other ships.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah I was also going to suggest Heat Signature

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Metal Gear Solid V is an excellent loving around with AI game; you have 4 billion options, almost none of which are necessary to do well in the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Meldonox posted:

Shadow of Mordor

don't upgrade your health, and power through the main story until you unlock branding

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey dudes, I recently found out I'm autistic and with that diagnosis it's made me realize the things that appeal to me fall into certain themes and I'm looking for more of them, but it's difficult for me to properly articulate it, so I will provide examples.

Recently, my favorite game is Realm Grinder. I just played 80 hours of Dragon Quest VII, I'm currently playing Bravely Default. I like games that have constant progression, like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy. I prefer turn-based games. I need a story to go with it. I like pretty much any platform, or setting. I like things to be unlocked. I especially enjoy games that have like...specialty classes where you can only unlock them after you've unlocked two previous types or something like that. I like games that allow for wildly different builds. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games...they kinda did what I'm talking about. I've played all of the Fallouts, the Final Fantasies, XCom. I've played a ton of games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

Hey dudes, I recently found out I'm autistic and with that diagnosis it's made me realize the things that appeal to me fall into certain themes and I'm looking for more of them, but it's difficult for me to properly articulate it, so I will provide examples.

Recently, my favorite game is Realm Grinder. I just played 80 hours of Dragon Quest VII, I'm currently playing Bravely Default. I like games that have constant progression, like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy. I prefer turn-based games. I need a story to go with it. I like pretty much any platform, or setting. I like things to be unlocked. I especially enjoy games that have like...specialty classes where you can only unlock them after you've unlocked two previous types or something like that. I like games that allow for wildly different builds. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games...they kinda did what I'm talking about. I've played all of the Fallouts, the Final Fantasies, XCom. I've played a ton of games.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

credburn posted:

Invisible Inc?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Invisible Inc?

I did get this game in a bundle a while back but haven't gotten around to trying it out. I will do so, thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did Banished ever get significantly patched/changed/DLC'd after release?

is there a better alternative to that kind of game nowadays?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

gradenko_2000 posted:

did Banished ever get significantly patched/changed/DLC'd after release?

is there a better alternative to that kind of game nowadays?

Life is Feudal Forest Village is what's closest. There's a ton of city builders out there though, what did you like most about Banished?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

credburn posted:

Welcome to the club! I'm aspergers, so I'm technically autistic until the DSM updates and puts me back on the books.

Try: Invisible Inc, Dungeon of the Endless, Battle Brothers, Brigador, Caves of Qud, Disgaea, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne / Digital Devil Saga 1+2.

In Invisible Inc you unlock new characters and items as you play, and there's a lot of flexibility about going about things.
- turn-based

Dungeon of the Endless has character unlocks and it's just plain fun.
- turn-based up until you initiate combat/open a door, but you can pause and give orders

Battle Brothers doesn't so much have unlocks as you get more gold and get better at the game so you can buy better brothers and weapons, but it's probably my favorite XCOM-like.
- turn-based

Brigador is a tactical tank/mech game where you carefully destroy everything on the map, and in Freelance mode you can unlock different vehicles, weapons, and special weapons - and the playstyle with every combination is vastly different.
- NOT turn-based, but you can slow it down to 60-70% speed - that's how I played for a long time until I got comfortable with it.

Caves of Qud has no unlocks, but character creation is insane: wanna be a mutant who shoots lasers and clones themselves? Done. Wanna be a four-armed birdman with guns. Done. And so on. There's a lot of content to try new builds on.
- turn-based

Disgaea is a very anime srpg where you unlock new classes and monsters as you play, and it's got that magical numbers going up thing. The story is pleasantly goofy.
- turn-based

SMT games - these two especially - are about getting new skills for yourself. In Nocturne you learn them through leveling up (and then filling out your team with the right kind of demons), and in DDS you earn points to unlock skills by eating your enemies. They're cool!
- turn-based

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

credburn posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2 if you like lots of builds it has infinite respec

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Welcome to the club! I'm aspergers, so I'm technically autistic until the DSM updates and puts me back on the books.

Try: Invisible Inc, Dungeon of the Endless, Battle Brothers, Brigador, Caves of Qud, Disgaea, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne / Digital Devil Saga 1+2.

In Invisible Inc you unlock new characters and items as you play, and there's a lot of flexibility about going about things.
- turn-based

Dungeon of the Endless has character unlocks and it's just plain fun.
- turn-based up until you initiate combat/open a door, but you can pause and give orders

Battle Brothers doesn't so much have unlocks as you get more gold and get better at the game so you can buy better brothers and weapons, but it's probably my favorite XCOM-like.
- turn-based

Brigador is a tactical tank/mech game where you carefully destroy everything on the map, and in Freelance mode you can unlock different vehicles, weapons, and special weapons - and the playstyle with every combination is vastly different.
- NOT turn-based, but you can slow it down to 60-70% speed - that's how I played for a long time until I got comfortable with it.

Caves of Qud has no unlocks, but character creation is insane: wanna be a mutant who shoots lasers and clones themselves? Done. Wanna be a four-armed birdman with guns. Done. And so on. There's a lot of content to try new builds on.
- turn-based

Disgaea is a very anime srpg where you unlock new classes and monsters as you play, and it's got that magical numbers going up thing. The story is pleasantly goofy.
- turn-based

SMT games - these two especially - are about getting new skills for yourself. In Nocturne you learn them through leveling up (and then filling out your team with the right kind of demons), and in DDS you earn points to unlock skills by eating your enemies. They're cool!
- turn-based

Wow, thanks. By the way, the neuropsychologist who diagnosed me told me that the term "Aspergers" is being written out and everything will just fall into the autism spectrum.

Caves of Qud sounds every single bit the most awesome thing ever but...somehow, I grew up with Nethack and can still sit down and play that any time, but almost any other game that plays in ASCII drives me insane. I hate it. I need some kind of graphics, usually, Nethack for some reason being the sole exception. People say Battle Brothers is good, but man, it doesn't SOUND good. It sounds brutally difficult, with little to unlock, and simple graphics. The only real good thing I've heard is just that it's good, that people love it. Well, or hate it. It seems to be divisive. I'd love to try it, but I'm also slightly strapped for cash and I'm not seeing it on sale anywhere. My girlfriend loves all SMT games and has both of these you mentioned on her PS2. Maybe I ought to give them a shot. I really loved Persona 3 (not really for the reasons I'm into the other games I enjoy) but Girlfriend's ancient memory card got corrupted like 70 hours into the game!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

credburn posted:

Wow, thanks. By the way, the neuropsychologist who diagnosed me told me that the term "Aspergers" is being written out and everything will just fall into the autism spectrum.

Caves of Qud sounds every single bit the most awesome thing ever but...somehow, I grew up with Nethack and can still sit down and play that any time, but almost any other game that plays in ASCII drives me insane. I hate it. I need some kind of graphics, usually, Nethack for some reason being the sole exception. People say Battle Brothers is good, but man, it doesn't SOUND good. It sounds brutally difficult, with little to unlock, and simple graphics. The only real good thing I've heard is just that it's good, that people love it. Well, or hate it. It seems to be divisive. I'd love to try it, but I'm also slightly strapped for cash and I'm not seeing it on sale anywhere. My girlfriend loves all SMT games and has both of these you mentioned on her PS2. Maybe I ought to give them a shot. I really loved Persona 3 (not really for the reasons I'm into the other games I enjoy) but Girlfriend's ancient memory card got corrupted like 70 hours into the game!

Asperges WAS written out of the DSM V - it was in the IV, and I'm waiting for those idiots to put it back in, because while they share elements, they are definitely different. :rant:

...Hi, I'm sore about this because I finally know what I am and these jerks writing the official books somehow think that aspergers = high functioning autism and they're different. But that's a chat for a different thread, so!

Caves of Qud DOES have tiles! They're a cool minimal style and I adore them. But if you want fancier tiles, uh - Dungeonmans (you can unlock things for your academy and at least two extra skilltrees), Tangledeep, and Demon.

Battle Brothers takes some learning, but I find it to be the best small(ish) squad vs squad tactics game I've played yet, so - next time you're super rich, give it a spin!

And do enjoy the SMT games! Nocturne is easily one of my favorite rpgs of all time, and DDS1+2 is just fun. .... Do avoid the superbosses though, they are famously the most difficult ones ever made - I'd say in any game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do avoid the superbosses though, they are famously the most difficult ones ever made - I'd say in any game.

That said, getting your rear end handed to you by the demi-fiend is cool as gently caress even as he bitch slaps you into the next dimension.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Brainamp posted:

That said, getting your rear end handed to you by the demi-fiend is cool as gently caress even as he bitch slaps you into the next dimension.

:yeah:

They're fun to fight, but god help you if you want to try to actually win!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

Dungeonmans has constant progression, it's turn based, it has a plot, it has unlockable stuff and speciality skills, and allows wildly different builds. Also it's cheap and the guy who made it is a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

Geometry Wars 3