Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I just purchased of speakers - Logitech Z623. Every so often, when there's no sound coming from my computer they make this awful buzzing noise. I'm testing them out by plugging it into my phone and I suspect my computer might be the cause. I have a Windows 10 laptop. Any thoughts? Googling this subject has been a bit difficult.

Edit: My phone is awful producing a different but also annoying noise. So I guess I got defective speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Have you tried different cables?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gut feeling says power supply. I used to have speakers as a kid that did similar, and switching the power supply out fixed it (gonna guess it was a grounding problem with the original).

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I have a $100 budget to get a portable bluetooth speaker. I'll use it mainly to listen to music. Any recommendations? I couldn't find a specific thread for this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dennis McClaren posted:

I have a $100 budget to get a portable bluetooth speaker. I'll use it mainly to listen to music. Any recommendations? I couldn't find a specific thread for this.

Wirecutter likes the UE Roll 2, which is $70 from Walmart.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Love my Roll 1. It's awesome.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How stupid would I be to go buy a new receiver now with black friday a month away? I'm in Canada if it makes any difference. Are there usually any mind blowing deals on anything any good?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there a specific model you're focused on? It's probably impossible to predict if that exact one will go on sale, but if it's more like you're looking for a good deal on a receiver there might be good options.

The best deals right now are places clearing out last years' models or people selling old gear to get 4k/atmos compatibility.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 25, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Currently eyeing the TX-NR676. I want 4K passthrough and 100w @ 8ohms. Bluetooth a must. I cant see me going beyond 5.1 for a while. Even multi zone, meh. Be nice to put a couple of outdoor speakers above my patio I guess.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That's a pretty new model, I don't think you'd see super deep discounts on it but you never know. Does your credit card have price protection?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I called Best Buy (really no other choices here) and they will refund me the difference if it goes on sale, Black Friday is 30 days from today. It already is on sale but I was just worried it would be an extra $100 off come then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another model for your consideration, which looks to be in a similar price point to the Onkyo: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamtsr7810/yamaha-tsr-7810-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-same-as-rx-v781/1.html

There’s rumors that not everything on A4L is actually a refurbished unit, and this would make sense in this case. The 7810 is a Costco only model that is for all intents and purposes the same as the 817 which is far more expensive. It’s likely these are new and just marked as refurb to skirt that fact.

I’m probably gonna get one myself, I’ve just had other priorities. Price probably as low as it’ll ever go. It’ll do your patio speakers (but I’d read into how Zone B and Zone 2 are different things, and might not work like you expect) and gives you some expandability beyond 5.1.

Also I’d trust Yamaha at this price more than Onkyo, who have had maaaaajor problems in the past with components failure. Doesn’t mean their new stuff isn’t better, and if they put out something ideal for me I’d probably still get one. I had an older model and it was OK but definitely had issues.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

I called Best Buy (really no other choices here) and they will refund me the difference if it goes on sale, Black Friday is 30 days from today. It already is on sale but I was just worried it would be an extra $100 off come then.

Often Black Friday prices don't qualify for price match because they limit stock (i.e., they only want to give the deal on x number of units). I would be skeptical that they'd price match a Black Friday deal.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The real trick is that “door buster” products often have a slightly different model number, or they’ll bundle in something minor so you can’t pricematch a product or bundle that only exists on one day.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Receivers are such a niche item now that it's more likely something will fall under a "10% off everything" kind of sale. That said I'm baffled why all the big companies make like 15 models, sometimes across 2 or 3 brands for every possible price point between $200 and $3000.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just make Slickdeals alerts for whatever brands you’re watching. That’s how I scored my Canadian gray market Pioneer that I still love 10 years later.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
If you don't mind a factory refurb, https://www.accessories4less.com/
I got a expensive receiver for a deep discount here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aeka 2.0 posted:

If you don't mind a factory refurb, https://www.accessories4less.com/
I got a expensive receiver for a deep discount here.

Me too but the guy asking is in Canada and since it's all refurb/overstock they don't ship a lot of their brands up there. That site rules, though, I got my receiver and speakers through them.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I got no love in the "first home audio system" thread, so I'm reposting here.

I am considering upgrading my stereo amp + old bookshelf speakers (2.0?) setup to 3.0 or 3.1, and would like the option to go to 5.1 later. My TV is in a small room, and we often use it to play music via Apple TV or Chromecast. I care about clarity more than volume, and a minimal interface (fewer knobs, remotes, screens, and wires) more than the cost. It seems like a soundbar with HDMI inputs like the Paradigm PW (though it's expensive) would fit the bill. What about Sonos? Is wireless 5.1 (e.g. Play-Fi or Sonos or ??) now or in the near future a practical and good solution?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're listening to lots of music I'd say stereo speakers are going to do much better than a soundbar. There's really good powered speakers out right now, off the top of my head the Vanatoo Transparent One, Kanto YU 6, Audioengine HD6, Aperion Allaire are decent options. If you plug all your sources into the TV and use line out to the the speakers you won't have to deal with input switching, etc. and I think most of them will power on/off automatically too. Slightly more pieces and wires than a soundbar but what you get in woofer size and cabinet volume will make up for it. The main downside is there's no easy way to go to surround from there [you can add a subwoofer to any of those though].

There's still no good modular replacement for a surround receiver and passive speakers yet unless you want to go whole hog on a WiSA system. Soundbars are all tightly integrated, the only other thing that springs to mind is the Denon HEOS AVR or WISA systems like Axiim.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

qirex posted:

Me too but the guy asking is in Canada and since it's all refurb/overstock they don't ship a lot of their brands up there. That site rules, though, I got my receiver and speakers through them.

Gibby's electronics supermarket sells refurbs, electronicsforless does as well, crutchfield.ca has sales occasionally. visions.ca is another option.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

qirex posted:

Soundbars are all tightly integrated, the only other thing that springs to mind is the Denon HEOS AVR or WISA systems like Axiim.

Thanks! That HEOS AVR seems to be exactly what I'd want - a small-ish receiver with no/minimal interface, and the option for wireless sub and rears - but drat that is expensive.

My speakers are old (not sure how old) Tannoy PBM 6.5 monitors hooked up to a NAD C 352 stereo amp, which is just connected via analog to my TV output. All my HDMI inputs are connected directly to the TV. I am also reluctant about the whole soundbar thing, but would love to have a center channel. I feel like dialogue is getting lost in my current setup. Maybe I should keep the speakers, and just try to swap the amp and pick up a center channel for now.

edit: OK that HEOS AVR is $600 on Amazon, which is still expensive but potentially in reach. My major outstanding concern is that the wireless tech is just immature, and I should maybe wait for the market to settle down in a couple years.

Sobriquet fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 27, 2017

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

So this is pretty strange and google hasn't helped me fix the issue...

I have a bunch of .mkv files of TV shows, that I watch on my laptop, and stream on my portable Bluetooth speaker. The speaker plays all episodes of TV shows, Youtube, other streaming apps just fine. But when I try to play a .mkv file out of my "movies" folder, none of them have sound.

This is boggling, because it's not like the file type is any different than a TV show, it's still a .mkv, it's just a movie.

I have updated the B.T. Drivers on the speaker and the laptop. I have removed, and re-paired the device with my laptop. I've turned the B.T. interface off, and back on with Windows 10. So far none of my fixes get the sound to play on movie files.

Anyone have some guidance here please?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Do they play fine locally? Maybe your player doesn't have the right sound codecs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sobriquet posted:

Thanks! That HEOS AVR seems to be exactly what I'd want - a small-ish receiver with no/minimal interface, and the option for wireless sub and rears - but drat that is expensive.

My speakers are old (not sure how old) Tannoy PBM 6.5 monitors hooked up to a NAD C 352 stereo amp, which is just connected via analog to my TV output. All my HDMI inputs are connected directly to the TV. I am also reluctant about the whole soundbar thing, but would love to have a center channel. I feel like dialogue is getting lost in my current setup. Maybe I should keep the speakers, and just try to swap the amp and pick up a center channel for now.

edit: OK that HEOS AVR is $600 on Amazon, which is still expensive but potentially in reach. My major outstanding concern is that the wireless tech is just immature, and I should maybe wait for the market to settle down in a couple years.
I haven't used or seen in use that receiver I just know it exists. Wireless surround is definitely immature and will probably improve pretty quickly.

The thing about dialog in movies is that the way they're mixed now like 80% of the sound comes through the center, not just the talking. This means that your average action movie will still squash the speech even if you turn the center up. AC4 will allow direct control over speech volume but I don't think anyon'e implemented it yet so we're probably 2-5 years off of that becoming the standard. Since going back to 2.1 from 3.1 I've noticed a bit less definition for dialog but not as much as I was afraid of.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Do they play fine locally? Maybe your player doesn't have the right sound codecs.

No they do not. I'll check the codecs for WMP.

*edit* I updated all the WMP codecs. Still no fix.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 28, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Do the movies have a surround soundtrack and if so does your player possibly have a bitstreaming mode enabled?

Try playing the file in VLC. That'll take the system codecs out of the mix and let you see what format(s) are actually in use.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

VLC indeed fixed the problem, thanks!!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dennis McClaren posted:

VLC indeed fixed the problem, thanks!!
If you want to figure out the actual problem, Tools > Codec Information will tell you what codecs are in use on the problematic files. I'd be willing to bet they're AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS and your other player is configured to bitstream the audio rather than decoding it. Much less likely is that the files are using some oddball codec.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My receiver only has toslink audio, not HDMI.

But my Panasonic CX725 has an optical port, so how do I figure out whether it's capable of sending the PCM 5.1 audio to my PS4, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV 4/5 etc via HDMI?

Even if I can test whether the devices get audio, I don't know how to figure out whether it's 5.1 or 2.0 audio.

I swear, TV/HDMI audio is one of the most confounding things to me.

e: I *think* my receiver supports bitstream audio, too, but I honestly have operated on trial and error for the most part when it comes to this stuff.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 29, 2017

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Looking for earbuds with good noise-cancellation, preferably affordable.

They're to help with general noise over-stimulation, but need to be more subtle than the full size Bose QuietComforts we use for distractable kids taking exams.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pixelante posted:

Looking for earbuds with good noise-cancellation, preferably affordable.

They're to help with general noise over-stimulation, but need to be more subtle than the full size Bose QuietComforts we use for distractable kids taking exams.

I don’t know if QC20s are considered affordable for the task by they are great

Bose really owns the market for noise cancelling imho (I have both the qc20s and qc35s due to frequent travel and I love them both)

seouldout
Feb 20, 2012
Goons,

I'm looking for a wireless bridge between a stereo and TV. Is there an integration device (ID) that connects to an amp's aux ports w/ common cables and to the TV via wifi?

Have a very old Yamaha integrated amp (AX-400U) and B&W speakers (both 30+ year old) that I found still work after 10 years of storage. I'd like to use them w/ my new TV, LG 65UH6030, and do so wirelessly to output the TV audio via the amp to the B&W speakers. The TV is webified and includes wifi direct.

If possible I'd like to avoid anything that must attach to the TV too. Data path is TV to wifi router/access point to ID to amp to speakers. If wifi direct allows TV to wirelessly connect to the ID, thereby bypassing wifi router that's even better. ID to be located in walnut cabinet (I can drill a hole in back to expose antenna, if needed) and TV is already built into wall. Distance between TV and cabinet is about 2 metres (7'). Distance from wireless router to cabinet is the same, and from wireless router to TV is just a few centimetres.

Thanks in advance.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Unless the TV has some kind of direct output streaming built-in [which I've never heard of] you're going to need an outboard device. There's stuff like this that's powered by USB so you wouldn't need a separate power supply on the TV at least. My [limited] understanding is that these systems all have issues and your best bet is trying to hide a really long optical cable.

seouldout
Feb 20, 2012

qirex posted:

Unless the TV has some kind of direct output streaming built-in [which I've never heard of] you're going to need an outboard device. There's stuff like this that's powered by USB so you wouldn't need a separate power supply on the TV at least. My [limited] understanding is that these systems all have issues and your best bet is trying to hide a really long optical cable.

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. That Dayton has a built-in DAC, which is something I since learnt I'll need, and it also separates the audio from the video so I don't have to consider that wrinkle in a solution. I do have enough space behind the TV to mount that transmitter, and if I have to pull out the TV but not drill more holes in the wall and run cable that's acceptable. I'll email them to check whether independent power will be needed or the TV's USB port alone will suffice.

The other option I'm considering is Apple TV (4th gen) + DAC connected to the amp's RCA ports, and then link Apple TV's wifi to the wifi router. The key thing is making sure the audio and video separate correctly at the TV so it's just audio being transmitted. Though this is a like-to-have rather than gotta-have, this should also allow me to stream video from a notebook or NAS through the Apple TV to the TV.

Of course if anyone else has an idea I'd appreciate reading it; still in the research stage.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I doubt that your LG does USB audio out, most TVs only have optical and stereo RCA. so RCA > wireless transmitter > wireless receiver > RCA in on amp is what you're looking at.

Your idea of streaming audio over the network is basically a non-starter, even if you somehow got something working you'd probably get an unacceptable amount of lag.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My living room is fairly small, 8' ceiling, I sit about the same from the TV itself, maybe less. I like to have the TV fairly low, and I'm ditching my current entertainment unit in favor of a wall mount and a couple of custom shelves. My center speaker takes up a lot of real estate (Klipsch R-25C) and I was thinking about maybe mounting it above the TV on a shelf instead of putting it below as it is now to free up space for other components. Would having it so high (~6' maybe a bit more) make it sound much worse while sat down?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You will notice it when sound pans from one side to the other, crossing the center channel. You'll hear it go up then back down. They should be relatively level. I removed the center channel from my 7.1 setup (well, 6.1 now, I guess) completely and have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm surprisingly happy with my 2.1 setup, I'm usually in the sweet spot anyway and the imaging is great there. Dialog a little lower than it was but doable. I will say you have to be more careful about positioning without a center channel but otherwise no regrets.