Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My current phone is on iOS 10. I'm going to get an iPhone 8 today. Do I need to update to iOS 11 before backing up and restoring or can I restore my iOS 10 backup to the new phone, which will be on iOS 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You don't have to update to 11 first, but I think 11 will back up more of your data (health for example). If that doesn't matter to you then you should be fine.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

My current phone is on iOS 10. I'm going to get an iPhone 8 today. Do I need to update to iOS 11 before backing up and restoring or can I restore my iOS 10 backup to the new phone, which will be on iOS 11?

Ios 11 has new features for phone transfer, do the upgrade.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are there any other iOS forum apps that are capable of reading these forums? I uninstalled Awful.app (sorry dev goon(s) but your poo poo is still memleakin' in 2017) and while general OS performance has improved, I miss the convenience of an app over using Safari.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

Try backing up, DFU/recovery mode, and then set up as new and see if things work. It sounds like the update got messed up.

I ended up going the other way and I'm running 11.1 beta now. It seems a lot better. Not that I like running beta software on my main phone, but the whole recover and restore thing takes time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

enojy posted:

Are there any other iOS forum apps that are capable of reading these forums? I uninstalled Awful.app (sorry dev goon(s) but your poo poo is still memleakin' in 2017) and while general OS performance has improved, I miss the convenience of an app over using Safari.

How is it leaking memory?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

He can't remember how bad his posting is?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

fourwood posted:

Has autocorrect been weirdly auto-capitalizing strange words? This feels like it's worse with iOS 11. As one example, I was just trying to type "Where can I" and EVERY TIME it wants to auto correct it to "Where Can I" when I simply type it out as "where can i " (but only capitalizes "can" when it auto-capitalizes the 'I'; it capitalizes "where" as expected as the first word of the sentence).

It also always capitalizes "home", so I dunno maybe it thinks that's a proper noun since I have a "Home" contact or something?

I've been getting that periodically with 10 and 11. I can't work out a pattern with the words it's choosing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How is it leaking memory?

Post bodies eventually go black for the rest of the page, and affects every thread/page unless force closed. It's been a thing for quite a while now, so I got rid of it. Now, all other apps stopped getting kicked out of memory as frequently, so it seems like a culprit to me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

enojy posted:

You using a 3GS brah? App is fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

enojy posted:

Post bodies eventually go black for the rest of the page, and affects every thread/page unless force closed. It's been a thing for quite a while now, so I got rid of it. Now, all other apps stopped getting kicked out of memory as frequently, so it seems like a culprit to me.

Had this happen a few times after iOS11 on both my 6S and 8. Guessing it's something to do with that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm on a 7+! It... it's not my fault...

It's been mentioned in the Awful.app thread by others, but hasn't been ironed out yet. Must be some particular setting or configuration of the app.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So a week into having AirPods I freaking love these things. Price still feels a bit high but whomever said they're the first Apple product in ages that has that "magic" was totally right.

Thanks to everyone who gave me the push to keep them.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

BGrifter posted:

So a week into having AirPods I freaking love these things. Price still feels a bit high but whomever said they're the first Apple product in ages that has that "magic" was totally right.

Thanks to everyone who gave me the push to keep them.

gently caress, I'm going to have to buy some. I don't think I've ever run with cordless headphones ever. It might be awesome. There's no volume control though?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enojy posted:

I'm on a 7+! It... it's not my fault...

It's been mentioned in the Awful.app thread by others, but hasn't been ironed out yet. Must be some particular setting or configuration of the app.

It's an extremely rare bug that as yet none of the devs have been able to reproduce. So it's going to be a while.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Weird, I have that Awful.app issue pretty frequently. I just force quit when I see it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Blind Rasputin posted:

gently caress, I'm going to have to buy some. I don't think I've ever run with cordless headphones ever. It might be awesome. There's no volume control though?

There isn't and I don't have an Apple Watch, but hitting the volume buttons through my pocket doesn't really bother me.

Always having them in the little lighter pocket in my jeans is fantastic. I find myself using them on my coffee breaks and at times when I wouldn't bother digging the old wired headphones out of my bag.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“carry on then”" post="“477195578”"]
It’s an extremely rare bug that as yet none of the devs have been able to reproduce. So it’s going to be a while.
[/quote]

Weird - I have never had that happen and used the app since it was released. I haven't gone to the forums on a webpage for longer than I can remember.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

fourwood posted:

Has autocorrect been weirdly auto-capitalizing strange words? This feels like it's worse with iOS 11.

This has been happening to me. iOS 11 is the least polished iPhone experience I have ever had. Sort of a bummer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rio posted:

Weird - I have never had that happen and used the app since it was released. I haven't gone to the forums on a webpage for longer than I can remember.

Yeah it still happens to me on my 8+ but it doesn't happen that often.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What's with the two plus signs taking close up pics with the ios 11 camera?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Apple has an official lightning/headphone splitter now if that makes you feel better but the Belkin one is Just Fine.

Or just get the Anker Bluetooth adapter puck thing (note: it's a pain in the dick if you need multiple phones connected).

Apple doesn’t have an official one. That’d be them openly admitting a fault in their design.

What they do have is a dual lightning adapter.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone else getting an issue where when unlocking with touch id it says "unlocked" but just sits on the lock screen until you press the home button again? This is on a 7.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iajanus posted:

Anyone else getting an issue where when unlocking with touch id it says "unlocked" but just sits on the lock screen until you press the home button again? This is on a 7.

Setting -> General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open, set it to ON.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pivo posted:

Setting -> General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open, set it to ON.

That works at getting around the bug, which was that the first press wasn't always registering. At least there's a workaround for this one. Thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah for some reason it's registering the click before registering the fingerprint unlock. You could try deleting your fingerprints and re-registering them. Personally I like rest to unlock anyway because then I'm in as soon as it recognizes me and there's no loving around (just press side button to view lock screen without unlocking), but I have a 6S, not the 7 with the magical home button, so I honestly don't know, but it's a good enough workaround. Try re-registering your prints though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

grahm posted:

This has been happening to me. iOS 11 is the least polished iPhone experience I have ever had. Sort of a bummer.

I'm the closest to buying a Samsung that I've ever been. I don't think I'll do it though, last time I switched to Android (Nexus 5) I made it six months.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Michael Scott posted:

What's with the two plus signs taking close up pics with the ios 11 camera?

Are they in the center of the viewfinder? Those are supposed to be levels when you're aiming your camera straight down at the ground. If they're showing up otherwise, something might be up with your gyrometer.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah I'm very on the fence between an X and a pixel 2xl at the moment. Currently the hassle of transferring back to android is keeping me in the apple camp. Both devices look great and tick all the boxes for what I'm looking for so idk. Will see how I feel once the X actually is orderable.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If the Google play store allowed you to transfer cross platform purchases from Apple store, I would change for the Pixel 2 XL. As it is I'm not re buying all my apps and core infrastructure stuff. So it will be an X or an 8+.

But really if google could read what iOS apps you have and gave you whatever ones also have an Android version.... a lot more people would switch. Won't ever happen.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“Ultimate Mango”" post="“477199851”"]
If the Google play store allowed you to transfer cross platform purchases from Apple store, I would change for the Pixel 2 XL. As it is I’m not re buying all my apps and core infrastructure stuff. So it will be an X or an 8+.

But really if google could read what iOS apps you have and gave you whatever ones also have an Android version.... a lot more people would switch. Won’t ever happen.
[/quote]

They would get a lot of people that way. That has been the main deterrent for me to change - I have been with the App Store since it started and have a lot of apps, and some aren't cheap despite the normal prices.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I have the advantage of being a long term android user who only just switched over so I already have all the same apps on the other side.

But I like my iPhone experience mostly so idk. Probably will stick it out for another iphone model and see how I go.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bluetooth regularly dropping out and reconnecting my headphones, dogshit performance, a lock screen that near constantly borks out and horrendous battery life are making this the worst iOS experience I can remember for a long time.

I'm hoping it's my ancient 6+ becoming demented and new hardware will dramatically improve my experience thus far. I'm even thinking of sacking off the X and it's inevitably long wait times and just going for an 8+, but seeing as I've waited this long it seems more sensible to at least wait for the initial reviews of the X.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

rio posted:

They would get a lot of people that way. That has been the main deterrent for me to change - I have been with the App Store since it started and have a lot of apps, and some aren't cheap despite the normal prices.

The X is expensive enough that 99% of people would be able to rebuy their apps a couple of times over and still break even.
I wonder if people will still feel it's a bad investment or not for long, especially with the X delay rumours.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

rio posted:

If I look at apps I regularly use that I paid money for, it's just goodreader, a calender app and Paprika. Do you really have that much more?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My only experience with a 3rd party Lightning to 3.5mm jack resulted in "this accessory is not supported" and it not recognizing that anything was plugged in. Is there a reliable alternative to the Apple one?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Sock The Great posted:

My only experience with a 3rd party Lightning to 3.5mm jack resulted in "this accessory is not supported" and it not recognizing that anything was plugged in. Is there a reliable alternative to the Apple one?

it's $8 at the Apple store dude.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How crippled is Cortana on iOS? I can't even find it in the Canadian store on my iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
New Apple IOS and phones are a bit bland, but people here are crazy to think android will be better.

The Pixel was ok, but for the last year I had a good number of them come back with random audio issues. Android issues in general seem less common than hey used to be, but the support behind android vs Apple store is pretty stark still.

I have one major iPhone issue that for the life of me I can't figure out. On Verizon, I'll have people come in weekly with iPhones that just stop reading the SIM card. Swapping the SIM, update software, soft reset, etc all does nothing most of the time. Seen it on all phones between iPhone 5-7.

I don't know if it's Verizon specific, if it's iPhone SIM trays just crapping out or what. Anyone else have this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

enojy posted:

Are they in the center of the viewfinder? Those are supposed to be levels when you're aiming your camera straight down at the ground. If they're showing up otherwise, something might be up with your gyrometer.

Thanks! That's indeed what it was. Nothing's wrong, just didn't realize what it was going for.