Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The whole issue is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't get Hickman's whole "Doom is secretly friends with the FF" angle for his run.

I wouldn't want a guy who's tried to kill my family even once at my funeral, let alone dozens of times.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't get Hickman's whole "Doom is secretly friends with the FF" angle for his run.

I wouldn't want a guy who's tried to kill my family even once at my funeral, let alone dozens of times.

I like to view it more as Doom hasn't really tried to kill any of the FF for years. Humiliate, imprison, detain, mind-wipe, absolutely. It's almost a game at this point. Doom tries to take over all of reality again, and he's set up "death traps", and they will escape and beat him up and he'll make a narrow dodge and fight another day. Repeat. But he is basically family at this point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I like to view it more as Doom hasn't really tried to kill any of the FF for years. Humiliate, imprison, detain, mind-wipe, absolutely. It's almost a game at this point. Doom tries to take over all of reality again, and he's set up "death traps", and they will escape and beat him up and he'll make a narrow dodge and fight another day. Repeat. But he is basically family at this point.

Hell, don't the kids basically call him Uncle Victor?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

There was that time he killed Ben and sent Franklin to hell for a bit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Proteus Jones”" post="“476580464”"]
Hell, don’t the kids basically call him Uncle Victor?
[/quote]

He is Valeria’s godfather.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

For me it was the panel where hulk holds up his hand when Thor is about to step in on Ben wailing on him like "no, he needs this"

For me it's the panel of Thing slamming his fists into Hulk's chest and Hulk looks down at him sadly, showing that there's no real strength behind the blow. Just sad, broken flailing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HULK LONGEST ONE THERE IS!!!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A key part of that sequence, for those who haven't read the whole thing is that Banner presents Thing with a miniature copy of Johnny's memorial, but Thing has consciously spent the whole issue deliberately not looking at the memorial, so it's pretty much a very jarring moment for him, as he's only now confronting what happened.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dammit i think i got something in my eye :cry:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toshimo posted:

A key part of that sequence, for those who haven't read the whole thing is that Banner presents Thing with a miniature copy of Johnny's memorial, but Thing has consciously spent the whole issue deliberately not looking at the memorial, so it's pretty much a very jarring moment for him, as he's only now confronting what happened.

Aw, poo poo, that makes it worse/better. Of course Bruce does it, because he knows that no matter how Ben reacts, he can take it. After all, he's the strongest one there is...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

CzarChasm posted:

I wouldn't want somebody who's tried to humiliate, imprison, detain, mind-wipe, etc. at my funeral either. I think many of the various attempts to cast Doom as an anti-hero or even an ally to the Fantastic Four over the years are ill-advised because he's really a super bad person and unless you take a pick-and-choose approach to continuity-- which is fine, and probably mandatory at this point-- you have to confront the fact that there's a lot more evidence that he loving hates the Fantastic Four than evidence that he's just being a big old grump to cover up his heart of gold. See also the infamous panel of him crying at 9/11. Homie you shot a skyscraper into space, TWICE.

Even Hickman-- whose "Uncle Doom" stuff I did not like at all-- acknowledges ultimately that given the god-like power he claims to deserve, he'd wield it selfishly, cruelly, and incompetently. I kind of like him as Iron Man but that's mostly because it's very much framed as him working through some very stuff and confronting some very ugly truths about himself and Reed Richards and what their relationship was-- it reads like a poo poo-head trying to make a difficult change, whereas a lot of the time it felt more like, just, ok, he's being good now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think of it like that scene in watchmen where the comedian goes to Moloch to vent except swap the comedian for doom

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

To the cursed Reed Richards, and assorted family and associates,

Doom sends you his regards and condolences on your recent lost. Doom, too, morns the loss of Johnathan Storm.

Surely, there is no greater tragedy than of the Human Torch sacrificing himself to save the universe from Annihilus and his Negative Zone underlings. The only suitable death for him would be sacrificing himself to save the universe from Doctor Victor Von Doom!

Yours Sincerely,
Dr. Victor Von Doom

P.s. A care package for the children will follow soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LashLightning posted:

To the cursed Reed Richards, and assorted family and associates,

Doom sends you his regards and condolences on your recent lost. Doom, too, morns the loss of Johnathan Storm.

Surely, there is no greater tragedy than of the Human Torch sacrificing himself to save the universe from Annihilus and his Negative Zone underlings. The only suitable death for him would be sacrificing himself to save the universe from Doctor Victor Von Doom!

Yours Sincerely,
Dr. Victor Von Doom

P.s. A care package for the children will follow soon.

P.P.S. Johnny's memory will always be shining down on Doom

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Doom wishes only that Doom had been the one to end Storm's pathetic life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tolerating Doom is favorable to going to war with Doom without provocation.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The way I see it, it's more like Doom sees the Fantastic Four as his honorable opponents/rivals. Reed is his to defeat, but he doesn't go around punching babies or something. Unless you're Mark Waid, but while I loved his run otherwise the dude fully admitted he preferred the idea of Doom as a horrible monster and went out of his way to make him one again. Doom plays his entire thing like he's a king and the universe's inhabitants are his subjects, whether they know it or not, and Reed is the only man who he even acknowledges is worthy of his notice and actual attention. Reed's the closest thing he thinks of as an equal (though of course, still far, far beneath Doom), and that creates a certain form of attachment and twisted affection for him and his family.

Johnny died, and Doom is the type who sees himself above such petty things as villainy. He's here to mourn, too, and he's not going to be so lowbrow as to chuckle and throw it in Reed's face. That's not what a true king would do, he would mourn the loss of one of his greatest subjects, and the death of a worthy foe. At least, in Doom's eyes.

Later, there will be time for plotting and revenge and defeating that accursed Richards. Now is the time for silence.

(I'm sure a million counterpoints could be made and panels posted, but I'm just going off the general idea of what Doom is in instances like this)

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 27, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurui Reiten posted:

Johnny died, and Doom is the type who sees himself above such petty things as villainy. He's here to mourn, too, and he's not going to be so lowbrow as to chuckle and throw it in Reed's face. That's not what a true king would do, he would mourn the loss of one of his greatest subjects, and the death of a worthy foe. At least, in Doom's eyes.

Reminds me of this:

Assholes rarely think they're assholes. Man, I'm still high off the writing in Secret Wars, that was such a good loving Doom story.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Tolerating Doom is favorable to going to war with Doom without provocation.

Mods, please change my username to Tolerating Doom

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Kurui Reiten posted:

Later, there will be time for plotting and revenge and defeating that accursed Richards. Now is the time for silence.

(I'm sure a million counterpoints could be made and panels posted, but I'm just going off the general idea of what Doom is in instances like this)

I don't have the panel with me, but there's a moment in one of the What Ifs that kind of backs you up. In a world where Sue died in childbirth, Doom didn't show up at the funeral, but did monologue from his castle that Reed took a blow more painful than even Doom could create. He decided to rest his hostilities, at least for now.

Not that it mattered, as a distraught and crazed Reed decided to murder Annihilus in a suicide run.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did he try and take the rest of the universe with him?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

goatface posted:

Did he try and take the rest of the universe with him?

No, but he was afraid that he would eventually reach that point, thinking that being without Sue would turn him into something cold and emotionless like Doom or Uatu. Instead, he decided to invade the Negative Zone, hunt Annihilus down and destroy them both because he felt that revenge was all he had left.

The comic did insinuate that even that was misplaced because even if Annihilus is a monster and a dictator, he didn't actually do anything wrong in that storyline. To him, some strangers broke into his home, attacked him, stole his stuff, left and now one of them came back to finish the job because, "My wife and baby are dead!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"But I didn't even do anything this time!" :argh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Annihilus' worst fear is some assholes he doesn't know coming to kill him so it was pretty much a horror movie for the poor abomination.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

He's only trying to stop the 'positive' Universe from consuming the Negative Zone as it expands. Truly, that weird bug dude is the hero of the story!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I don't even like cats.

https://akimiya.tumblr.com

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

relevant to the topic of Cats and their multiple lives;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwj4X7CkrgE&t=1306s
(skip to 21:48 if it doesn't automatically start there for maximum feels)

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Jesus... My cold dead heart...

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

I had to put my cat down at the end of August and this hit me so hard. :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Now I miss my little rear end in a top hat cat :arghfist::cry:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Maybe you should've been more careful taking a poo poo.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Maybe you should've been more careful taking a poo poo.

:drat:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers #11: Vision is having a minor existential crisis

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hercules doesn't call earth Midgard. Annnd he grew up as a mortal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey he's just been hanging around thor a lot

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

Hercules doesn't call earth Midgard. Annnd he grew up as a mortal.

Marvel Hercules was born a god I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Right at this moment, as I type this, my cat Cheeto is a few feet away from me, nearing death due to a terrible, incurable disease. He has anywhere from a few days to a few hours left. I feel heartbroken, angry, powerless in the face of this disease, while grateful for the time I've had with him, happy to have known him. This comic strikes me to the core of these almost opposing emotions, breaking my heart anew while also helping it to mend.

Thank you for posting this.