Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/DmeQ5

Quake man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Can anybody tell me the artist and name of this picture?

Edit: Figured it out by googling "skeleton playing a bone like a violin" and doing a reverse image search. It is "Der Tod als Erwurger, 1851" by Alfred Rethel.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 7, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a basic starter kit for starting out with doodling, sketching, and drawing?

Mainly the pencils, perhaps the paper.

Be great if it's available in EU/Amazon UK.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

What's a basic starter kit for starting out with doodling, sketching, and drawing?

Mainly the pencils, perhaps the paper.

Be great if it's available in EU/Amazon UK.

These are affordable and give you some variety. I'd find a set similar to it. No need buying super expensive pencils if you're just trying to practice and experiment. If you can find one with a few different erasers, that'd be good too. Here's another set with more to offer, but if you get a intimidated by too many choices, stick with an amount of supplies that will entice you instead of intimidate you.

For paper, you can just use newsprint paper (get a lot for very cheap), printer paper, a sketchpad, or a sketchbook. I'd recommend a little bit of each: printer/newsprint for practice sketches or just random work, a sketchpad for "proper practice" or for more "serious" pieces (if you have any interest in maybe using pens, markers, ink, etc, I'd get a thicker paper quality), and a sketchbook (to make you more conscious about your intent and wanting to "perfect" the finished project, but also learning that sketchbooks aren't holy and should be filled with whatever you want).

If you want to spend a little more on sketchbooks, I've used this brand of sketchbook for my last three and I love them (they come in various sizes and colors). Might be a little more expensive in the UK.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

These are affordable and give you some variety. I'd find a set similar to it. No need buying super expensive pencils if you're just trying to practice and experiment. If you can find one with a few different erasers, that'd be good too. Here's another set with more to offer, but if you get a intimidated by too many choices, stick with an amount of supplies that will entice you instead of intimidate you.

For paper, you can just use newsprint paper (get a lot for very cheap), printer paper, a sketchpad, or a sketchbook. I'd recommend a little bit of each: printer/newsprint for practice sketches or just random work, a sketchpad for "proper practice" or for more "serious" pieces (if you have any interest in maybe using pens, markers, ink, etc, I'd get a thicker paper quality), and a sketchbook (to make you more conscious about your intent and wanting to "perfect" the finished project, but also learning that sketchbooks aren't holy and should be filled with whatever you want).

If you want to spend a little more on sketchbooks, I've used this brand of sketchbook for my last three and I love them (they come in various sizes and colors). Might be a little more expensive in the UK.
Awesome, I'll check them out. The latter kit is a little overwhelming but it looks like it's also very tidily ordered and easy to put away.

Are you supposed to do one drawing for one page, or do they also work for double-paged sketching?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Are you supposed to do one drawing for one page, or do they also work for double-paged sketching?

For the sketchbooks? It pretty much depends on what you want to do and the quality of paper. The ones that I use are pretty good about handing pencil, ink, watercolor, gouache, etc. on either side of the page, the only thing that bleeds through are markers and sharpies (which I don't use often). You're safe to draw as much as you want on any of the sketchbooks, you just may want to get some fixative to spray the paper when you're done so nothing smears (especially charcoal).

I do anything from one idea for a project/scene/sketch, like Radio du Cambodge's pencil sketch from the Daily Drawing thread

to just filling up the pages with different ideas like a collage like these posts by Carotid in the traditional art thread: :nws:

Carotid posted:

Another intuitive painting, haven't done one of these in a while.

(these were done in ink and watercolor instead of pencil, but you get the idea of intuitive drawing)

Didn't post my own art since I'm at work and my sketchbook doesn't have much pencil work right now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Rather than just look up tutorials on YouTube or wherever, are there any GIMP tutorials y'all recommend?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I am stuck in InDesign. I don't use it often, and that's my fault, but I have a catalog to do and I need help...

There's a bunch of these:

I can change the type face by selecting it but I can't get rid of the ugly rectangles.

How to I extract that type/release this from the table?

I do not want to have to re-type all these loving numbers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ferrule posted:

I am stuck in InDesign. I don't use it often, and that's my fault, but I have a catalog to do and I need help...

There's a bunch of these:

I can change the type face by selecting it but I can't get rid of the ugly rectangles.

How to I extract that type/release this from the table?

I do not want to have to re-type all these loving numbers.

You need a script

code:
app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().convertToText("\t", "\r");

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Okay then, as a follow-up: I'm not too great with scripts and using them and all that.

So how do I use what you posted? Step by step? Explain, like you would a child.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone have advice for what to look for for a starting wood carving tool set? Looking to go beyond my knives for block printing, which I don't have much confidence is being any use beyond lino and maybe basswood (or maybe I need to find better basswood). If it makes a difference, I'm thinking about relief carving rather than whittling or in-the-round sculpting.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Can someone please help me with a small photoshop job, or point me in the right direction to get help?

The reason I ask is because I've been making mods to to fix up some missing stuff in The Ur-Quan Masters (a remake of Star Control 2, one of the best games of all time ), and in the process I've noticed a distracting visual error in The Ur Quan Masters HD remake.

Specifically, it's this (my host):
(EDIT: Image removed, no longer required as completed)

Perhaps it says something about where my eyes are drawn, but I immediately notice that this blue skinned space babe appears to be missing a breast.

I should point out that in the original image this isn't the case:

It's made all the more egregious by the fact that her bosom is animated to, well, heave, which looks really odd when there's nothing there to heave. I have a set of the 4 animated images that would need to be fixed up (EDIT: Link removed as no longer required), and I get the feeling that anyone who is half-decent with photoshop could probably fix it up in under an hour but my own attempts at freehand drawing have been quarter-assed so I don't trust myself to do it right.

EDIT: Fixed the boob myself. Not a super effort but 'good enough' I think.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Part of the problem is that the anatomy on the original images looks janky when sized up, because abstractions that work at a small scale don't work when larger

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Tunicate posted:

Part of the problem is that the anatomy on the original images looks janky when sized up, because abstractions that work at a small scale don't work when larger

The whole character is basically a caricature to begin with, so I'm not sure that wonky proportions are a huge problem. Plus it doesn't explain why they left out the breast when it's very clearly supposed to be there, since it definitely doesn't help the anatomy look less janky.

Nor does it stop someone from drawing a boob to make it look at least a little bit better.

The chest on the HD image currently looks very strange, especially animated. Even with my poor drawing abilities it still looked better when I coloured in the missing area with some light blue.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

I get the feeling that anyone who is half-decent with photoshop could probably fix it up in under an hour but my own attempts at freehand drawing have been quarter-assed so I don't trust myself to do it right.

Try the work for hire/freelance thread in this forum, or put up a thread in SAmart, but just be aware that asking for free work in this forum is pretty heavily frowned upon.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

gmc9987 posted:

Try the work for hire/freelance thread in this forum, or put up a thread in SAmart, but just be aware that asking for free work in this forum is pretty heavily frowned upon.

Yeah, I was hesitant to ask for that reason. Maybe I'll try elsewhere first and come back here as a last resort.

Or just do the best on my own. I'm no artist but I can still do better than what's already there given enough time.

EDIT: Fixed the boob myself. Not a super effort but 'good enough' I think.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 27, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for sumi brushes? I'm not going to break the bank for a set. It'd be mainly used for india ink, watercolors, and maybe gouache. These are the two sets I'm looking at:

MasterChinese Fine Chinese Calligraphy / Sumi Drawing / Kanji Brush Set (Goat Hair, Jian Hair, Wolf Hair) - Medium

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNLKHZI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2P5RLDCD4J4ZQ&colid=26CQ65HSQHEJ3

I'm open to other suggestions, but I'd prefer to buy it through Amazon (doesn't have to be Prime if it's worth the wait).

FutureRooster
Sep 27, 2017
I'm new here and a bit lost...is there a thread or place for discussing video game creation? I'm not sure if it would be here or in the coding section?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Watch a lot of the GDC talks on YouTube is you're looking for content to consume on the subject. Also look for the low budget pre-planned meal YouTube's at the same time because you will make no money.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

FutureRooster posted:

I'm new here and a bit lost...is there a thread or place for discussing video game creation? I'm not sure if it would be here or in the coding section?

There are a few:

Making Games Megathread
Game Development Megathread

The gamedev megathread is generally coding talk, Making Games is everything and showing off

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We also have a couple of game industry/jobs threads in Games too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

When you have a character who responds to something in a "Really?" tone of voice, what kind of tone is that called?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

BigRed0427 posted:

When you have a character who responds to something in a "Really?" tone of voice, what kind of tone is that called?

Depends on how genuine the 'really' is.

"Surprised" might be just fine if it's not too strong of a reaction. For a stronger one I'd probably use "incredulous".

Otherwise try "cromulent".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How are peoples experiences with YouTube these days?

I filmed a ton of gigs back in the 00s and I paid for a Vimeo account as I could export my footage to it easily, I trusted them more than YT, and it had inbuilt downloading features etc. Unfortunately, one thing I didn't realize is after a few years went by and not having my equipment with me (and thus no new uploads), if I stopped paying for my account I wouldn't just lose my HD feeds/downloads, it actually deleted a ton of my archive too. So I'm a bit pissed with them, even though I'm sure it's mentioned in the T&Cs and I just didn't see them.

So, I'm kinda hoping the reasons I didn't want to deal with YT aren't such an issue these days... video quality seems better, lots of full concerts of way bigger acts than I deal with aren't getting pulled, and you can upload longer stuff without issue now. As someone only uploading decent quality SD from a Sony PD150 and not a HD cam... I can probably just suck it up and move all my stuff to there, right? I have no cares about monetization or any of that, I just want my stuff to stay up so people can access it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

BigRed0427 posted:

Accusatory, like you are accusing them of not knowing something?

Really!?!? might also be exasperated.

Stealth Edit:
Also zestfully. "Really?" he zestfully said.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

If you're looking for an adverb or something, just don't. Keep it with "He said/she said/ they said" or "he asked/ she asked/ they asked.

If you can't think of the right adverb to use, don't use the adverb. Push to have it work contextually, not because you explain it.

Some advice on using adverbs and writing dialogue.

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

Hey yall. I'm trying to bind a notebook as a gift for a friend. They're really into manga so for the cover I was going to make a collage of their favorite manga over cardboard or mdf or something hard. I'm stuck on finishing the cover in a way that it'll be durable and maybe a little more "professional" seeming.

I'm attaching pictures of test run I did a long time back and have had sitting around in defeat. I used clear packing tape to "seal" it, which is, obviously, very kindergarten crafts looking, though seemingly effective. Previously I had tried to use clear acrylic spray and that seemed to do anything but get stuff wet or I didn't use it right I'm not sure.

So in summary, going for a gloss or semi gloss seal over a paper/glue collage that won't gently caress up the paper, and will be somewhat durable. What should I use?

EDIT: not sure if this should be in diy subforum or this one :shrug:

bike appreciator fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 8, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

unaligned ant posted:

Hey yall. I'm trying to bind a notebook as a gift for a friend. They're really into manga so for the cover I was going to make a collage of their favorite manga over cardboard or mdf or something hard. I'm stuck on finishing the cover in a way that it'll be durable and maybe a little more "professional" seeming.

I'm attaching pictures of test run I did a long time back and have had sitting around in defeat. I used clear packing tape to "seal" it, which is, obviously, very kindergarten crafts looking, though seemingly effective. Previously I had tried to use clear acrylic spray and that seemed to do anything but get stuff wet or I didn't use it right I'm not sure.

So in summary, going for a gloss or semi gloss seal over a paper/glue collage that won't gently caress up the paper, and will be somewhat durable. What should I use?

EDIT: not sure if this should be in diy subforum or this one :shrug:

have you tried Mod Podge? Seems like that would be exactly what you're looking for. If the final texture isn't what you want after mod podge, then try the acrylic sealer again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why not clear contact sheets? https://www.target.com/p/con-tact-brand-174-creative-covering-153-multipurpose-shelf-liner-adhesive-clear-18-x-20/-/A-11172260#lnk=sametab

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Crossposting my question from the school thread since this one seems to get more activity:

Argue posted:

I was hoping for some advice on classes. I don't plan on being a professional artist (I'm happy as a software eng), so going to a real, physical school is out of the question, but I have been taking it more seriously the last couple of years, and I'd like to up my game. I've been going for the cheap (but good) classes I can get online (Proko, New Masters Academy, etc) for a while now, and I think I've learned quite a bit, but I feel I've been pacing myself too slowly and could be learning more. I've seen some much more expensive online curricula, and I was wondering if those might be worth it. In particular, I've been directed to CGMA, as well as to the Watts Atelier stuff. Anyone know if these are worth the much heftier prices they charge?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Don't discount physical classes, just because you're not going for a degree doesn't mean you can't do them. Community colleges might offer standalone studio classes, and if you have an arts council or county/city rec programs you can find classes there. Working in person with an instructor and classmates will likely be way more helpful for a while.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Along that same line of thinking, what is this thread's consensus on this upcoming lesson? https://cubebrush.co/mb/products/mmfwyq-tRBD/art-school

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Is there a name for this kind of typographic layout?

You see it all over the place in old-timey stuff and I'm curious to know if there's a word for it

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

You see it all over the place in old-timey stuff and I'm curious to know if there's a word for it

Old-Timey Stuff Design

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cascading Style Sheet

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Cascading Style Sheet

Everyone here is too nerdy to fall for that.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

TopherCStone posted:

X-TREME K E R N

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm honestly not sure if there is a name for that style. It came from a period where design wasn't really a thing that existed in the way it does today. There were fine artists (painters, sculptures, etc), and then there were printers who were tradesman, not artists. There wasn't a profession bridged the gap in the way design does today.

Based on what I recall from my typography classes, that type of treatment can be seen as a sort of proto-design. In the 1600s and 1700s printers had access to an increasingly wide variety of typefaces, and presses were becoming cheaper and easier to operate. Facing more competition than they had in previous centuries, some printers began to experiment with using font size and style to establish hierarchy in their text while others didn't. This served to improve the quality of their product as well as acting as a sort of advertisement for how many different typefaces a printer had at his disposal, both of which attracted more business.

For what it's worth, when I've had need to find stuff like that I usually end up googling "1700 handbill style" or something like that.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

kedo posted:

I'm honestly not sure if there is a name for that style. It came from a period where design wasn't really a thing that existed in the way it does today. There were fine artists (painters, sculptures, etc), and then there were printers who were tradesman, not artists. There wasn't a profession bridged the gap in the way design does today.

Based on what I recall from my typography classes, that type of treatment can be seen as a sort of proto-design. In the 1600s and 1700s printers had access to an increasingly wide variety of typefaces, and presses were becoming cheaper and easier to operate. Facing more competition than they had in previous centuries, some printers began to experiment with using font size and style to establish hierarchy in their text while others didn't. This served to improve the quality of their product as well as acting as a sort of advertisement for how many different typefaces a printer had at his disposal, both of which attracted more business.

For what it's worth, when I've had need to find stuff like that I usually end up googling "1700 handbill style" or something like that.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

First off, thank you for the Mod Podge lead, it's been absolutely perfect for my uses. I'm not sure what I didn't understand about it the first time around, or why I was avoiding it.

So I have another idiot question for y'all, though.

I've made a test collage over hardboard. I thought it would be easier to collage first and drill the binding holes after, that way it would seem seamless and I wouldn't have to collage around the holes. I'm having some trouble drilling clean holes into the hardboard, however. The hardboard seems to like, vaporize, to some degree. It looks like poo poo. It's probably just my unsteady hand, though, I do not have a drill press and am using a Dremel with a drill attachment to do this which is pretty terrible but then again I haven't had so much trouble with drywall and wood, so I'm surprised.

Has anyone had any success drilling cleanly into hardboard? If so, any specific bits/speeds/settings/tricks? Do I just need to be steadier?

Pics showing the hardboard I'm using and the gross as hell drill holes.

I'm going to try and find a drill press I can use and test on that as well, but just in case anyone had some insight I thought I'd ask here because finding a press will be difficult.