Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grimdude posted:

Why would you evolve to make yourself taste like something sweet and delicious that's known for being widely loved this time of year? Or is it supposed to be funny because the shark's all "you kidding me?" and is gonna eat the fish because his evolutionary trait is stupid?

It's not funny either way I guess so who cares.

There's actually a backlash specifically against pumpkin spice flavors in some circles. I think it's an anti-Starbucks thing, with their pumpkin spice lattes. I know that sounds ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I see it all the time even on my pretty liberal Facebook.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It feels more like an over exposure thing than specifically an anti-Starbucks thing, honestly.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It comes across more like an anti-millennial thing most of the time.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I always assumed it was just dudes hating a "girl" thing

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh gently caress you drunk duck. You slandered and poo poo on Kap all last year.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I really want these people to die.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The #Resistance has co-opted Kapaernick's protest, a good cartoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FishBulb posted:

I always assumed it was just dudes hating a "girl" thing

It's this one.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Yes, drunky duck from two weeks ago, I'm sure the crowd was booing the people who stood for the anthem

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lurdiak posted:

It's this one.

Is there a sad :yeah:? Cause it has always been this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

litany of gulps posted:

There's actually a backlash specifically against pumpkin spice flavors in some circles. I think it's an anti-Starbucks thing, with their pumpkin spice lattes. I know that sounds ridiculous.

"Thing is popular? HEY EVERYBODY, I DISLIKE THING!"

Doesn't matter if it's pumpkin spice, Game of Thrones, Rick and Morty, whatever - There's someone who has to point out how much cooler they are than everyone else because they aren't a fan of Thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Owning slaves would be even more brave since it's been frowned upon for more than like fifteen loving seconds. Tinsley should try it!

edit: I mean like, going up to a white guy and a black guy walking on the street and saying "how much for your Negro?" That would take some serious bravery so he should be all for it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

"What the gently caress are you doing Winslow?!?!"

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

I wonder what's different about those two guys. Surely it can't be the distinctly different way they've been colored.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The #Resistance has co-opted Kapaernick's protest, a good cartoon.

I honestly didn't realize he was supposed to be kneeling until you posted this. After all, the character doesn't have knees, just disconnected circles that represent feet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tardigrade posted:

I wonder what's different about those two guys. Surely it can't be the distinctly different way they've been colored.

That's a specific person: Alejandro Villanueva. When the Steelers decided to not come out for the national Anthem, he decided to. He's actually embarrassed by all the attention he got (and I'm sure his teammates are pissed at him too).

Edit: here's an article https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/25/16363900/steelers-alejandro-villanueva-embarrassed-explains-photo-standing-national-anthem

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Courage before: Showing consideration for the rights of an oppressed minority group
Courage now: Not doing that

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah as your article points out, he wasn't supposed to be alone on the field at all but others were delayed and unable to make it out onto the field before the anthem started. So he stood there all alone and now feels completely miserable for making everyone else look bad.

So good job cartoonist.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I’ve been beaten and kicked in the face repeatedly for being gay. Excuse if I don’t give a gently caress about millionaire lawyers losing a cushy gig for not caring about my rights as a human being until there was no danger in it. You loving dick.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

morons: kneeling accomplishes nothing and makes you look dumb but ALSO I GET REALLY MAD ABOUT IT!!!!

i can't read this thread anymore the urges get too strong :(

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Its even easier to support a position when you hold no office and don't need to get elected, when the position is just something to support your holier-than-thou attitude and not something that affects your life.

Seriously, most of the leftists here are saying that politicians should have all laid down their careers and gotten voted out, despite never having risked anything in THEIR life for these positions. Who here has, in their lives, been likely to lose their jobs for supporting gay marriage? Show of hands? No, not for being gay, for supporting gay marriage, there is a difference. Now imagine that if you lost your job, the guy who replaced you would absolutely drag LGBT rights backwards and make life actively worse for gay people. Seem like a good idea to throw your career down the toilet all for the sake of that precious, precious purity?

hillary clinton listened to this advice and then lost to trump in the end lmao

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dimebags Brain posted:

I’ve been beaten and kicked in the face repeatedly for being gay. Excuse if I don’t give a gently caress about millionaire lawyers losing a cushy gig for not caring about my rights as a human being until there was no danger in it. You loving dick.

And more Republicans getting elected would have improved your life how exactly?

Streak posted:

hillary clinton listened to this advice and then lost to trump in the end lmao

Right, leftists refused to understand the very very simple concept that more republicans=bad, and Trump won.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 9, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oh man this got my loving dander up.

Neither of you fuckers have any clue why people are kneeling, you just feel bad about it and want them to stop.

My cousin, a marine posted:

The first time I saw Colin sit, I was hurt.

I think the word I probably used was that I felt disrespected, but a more honest way to say it would be I was hurt.
For better or worse, that flag and that song are very much a part of who I am. And while I'd never advocate for compulsory patriotism, It hurt the first time I watched someone consciously remain seated while we paid our respect.

But it worked. It started a conversation.

People talked, and listened. People yell and retort; and if we're really lucky we learned something. We learned that there are a lot of Americans who are upset and disappointed about America. Furious and frustrated by the realities of their lives here. Americans who are hurt. Americans who really didn't think America was such a great place to be sometimes.

And that hurt.

It was hard for me to cope with the idea that people weren't proud to be here. We've plenty to be embarrassed about, sure. There's never been a nation as powerful as us and we haven't always been wise in weilding that. But our greatest acheivement, our beautiful, ongoing experiment, is this idea that each and every person had the right to act, think, talk, vote, and BE more or less who and how they wanted, and that was something I thought everyone took a lot of pride in.

But it's hard to be proud of something you don't see in your life. Most people will tell you that actions speak louder than words, and even though every American had these inalieable rights on paper, There were a lot of people who didn't see them. People who often times have trouble being heard, who'se opinions get lost in the noise and complaining of millions of voters all trying to get what they want - those people drowned out by the majority. There will always be have and have-nots in America, that's the nature of capitalism. But there's no such thing as an American who doesn't have those rights. By definition, that's what comes with being an American.

And if our neighbors aren't proud, if they're hurting, and they're angry, then we should be hurt, and we should be angry. We humans need one another, we rely on each other. We as a species are not designed to live alone but are an animal who thrives in community. And if parts of our community are hurting, than we're all hurting. It hurt to watch people send the message that they weren't proud of our community. To sit and hurt in front of all of us, in public and in ridicule.

And it hurt that we were paying more attention to the symptems than to the cause of our pain. As long as we keep doing so, it's not going to stop hurting.

Maybe if we want to not be hurt by the fact that people aren't proud to stand and honor America, we should start listening to why some people aren't proud to be part of this tribe. Maybe a lot of the problems that are easy to ignore because they're far away from us aren't going to go away. Maybe we're so wrapped up in how much we're hurting, or how proud we are as indivudals - that we lose sight of how much all of us are hurting.

It hurt when Colin sat.

I want everyone to stand for that flag and that song. That's selfish, and that's honest. But I don't want people to stand because they have to - because they'll be ridiculed if they don't. I want Americans to stand because we're all proud that that flag represents us. Proud that it represents each of as an individual, and proud that it represents US. If people aren't proud enough to stand with us, maybe we should wonder if we aren't being too proud to sit with them. Why we aren't sitting down for a drink and a conversation with people who don't look like us? Why we aren't sitting down at a table nearer people we might disagree with? Why aren't we sitting down and talking to people who challenge our very selfish views of America, people who make us grow.

Some times growth hurts a lot. Put on your big-boy pants, America, We're all in this together.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'd like to ask anyone who feels offended by kneeling for the anthem just how fragile their patriotism and love for this country is. If they were as America and Freedom loving as they say they are then they shouldn't care if a flag was burned right in front of them. We are supposed to be more than a flag or anthem and most of these fuckers spent the entirety of 2016 talking about how America is bad and needs to become great again.

loving snowflakes. :ironicat:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

Right, leftists refused to understand the very very simple concept that more republicans=bad, and Trump won.

more republicans=bad so they didn't vote for one

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fulchrum posted:

And more Republicans getting elected would have improved your life how exactly?

Why do you seem so convinced that supporting BASIC GODDAMN RIGHTS before it magically reached a tipping point in public support would've cost elections, instead of, I dunno, galvanizing people that much sooner by showing that both parties aren't the same?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

It hurt when Colin sat.
I appreciate this guy writing this and changing as a person but I'm still no closer to understanding what it feels like to hurt at something related to the flag and anthem. I read about the flag burning etc stuff in school but it was just weird words with no feeling of reality to me.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Regalingualius posted:

Why do you seem so convinced that supporting BASIC GODDAMN RIGHTS before it magically reached a tipping point in public support would've cost elections, instead of, I dunno, galvanizing people that much sooner by showing that both parties aren't the same?

Because I am the slightest bit familiar with how reality works, and understand that the people who insist both parties are the same will never ever be swayed by reality?

Also, you're using words you heard somewhere else wrong. Galvanizing doesn't mean "magically altering 37% of the American public to instantly change their opinions on a dime with no cause."

But I am just sure that if someone had tried to turn an election into a referendum on gay marriage, it would have always magically made all America vote against the side opposing gay marriage, and wouldn't be the sole time in the last quarter of a century the Republicans won the popular vote.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 9, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I appreciate this guy writing this and changing as a person but I'm still no closer to understanding what it feels like to hurt at something related to the flag and anthem. I read about the flag burning etc stuff in school but it was just weird words with no feeling of reality to me.

Maybe it's like calling someones Favorite Video Game, Anime or Waifu poo poo. It's that but for the masses?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I guess I don't need to understand why people feel strongly about some arbitrary thing, as long as I know they do.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wait, you seriously don't understand the concept of patriotism?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, you seriously don't understand the concept of patriotism?

That they're really bad at it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ularg posted:

I'd like to ask anyone who feels offended by kneeling for the anthem just how fragile their patriotism and love for this country is. If they were as America and Freedom loving as they say they are then they shouldn't care if a flag was burned right in front of them. We are supposed to be more than a flag or anthem and most of these fuckers spent the entirety of 2016 talking about how America is bad and needs to become great again.

loving snowflakes. :ironicat:

Public displays of patriotism are like public displays of piety: a show, a facade, a lie. They focus on the superficial because there is no substance to be found in them. They wear their morality on their skin because there is none in their heart. They want you to believe them on their word, not on their deeds. The ones who make the biggest effort at coercing others into Pavlovian "respectful" attitudes towards the flag or the Bible are the ones most desperate to make sure nobody ever look at the skeletons in their closet. Behind every public patriot is a traitor; behind every public devout is a pervert.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

No. Patriotism evolved from tribalism and probably have biological anchors: is a instict.

Theres nothing wrong with following your instincts if nobody is hurt.

Theres nothing "wrong" with patriotism. Is only that is irrational.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm going to assume some semblance of good faith on the part of at least one of the cartoonists who brings up "hey, what about black-on-black inner city violence?" - the gently caress would that even mean, in any kind of good faith argument? We're constantly changing our laws, regulations and policing in order to minimize deaths by gun violence, particularly in big cities. What the gently caress is the contradiction with trying to regulate gun violence in connection to mass shootings?

(Or in general, what the gently caress is supposed to be the contradiction between "hey, you want more sensible gun laws? But what about black people shooting each other?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The Ken Burns doc is really good, though it felt like a retread of the last documentary voiced-over by the amazing Peter Coyote.

• Locked thread