Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yo, someone just released a fan translation for super influential pc-98 space game STAR CRUISER 2

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3223/

the first star cruiser is one of hideki kamiya's favorite games and while there's been an english translation for the genesis version of 1 from the same group i think 2's always been considered to be better

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
persona 3... i think we're actually seriously through this time.

i have been told over and over for many years that the persona/smt series is the intelligent player's game, use status effects and exploit weaknesses to gain the upper hand in a losing battle. but now i'm at sleeping table, and it's immune to status effects, and has no weaknesses. the strategy is literally just "outheal its damage with mediarama." which i can do, i'm just not willing to put up with this idiocy.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

persona 3... i think we're actually seriously through this time.

i have been told over and over for many years that the persona/smt series is the intelligent player's game, use status effects and exploit weaknesses to gain the upper hand in a losing battle. but now i'm at sleeping table, and it's immune to status effects, and has no weaknesses. the strategy is literally just "outheal its damage with mediarama." which i can do, i'm just not willing to put up with this idiocy.

Persona 3 is probably the weakest gameplay-wise out of those games, especially if you aren't playing P3P/FES.

Alternatively, debuff the table and buff yourself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most bosses don't have an obvious weakness so you have to actually have a modicum of strategy to beat them. But yeah buff/debuff = win.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Gonna jump on the bandwagon and yeah. Debuff/Buff is how you get the upper hand. They last 3 turns. But they are an amazing boost.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i have the buffs, i use the buffs, i just don't... i'm so unenthused about this lovely attrition boss that it's killed my drive to play this game

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

chumbler posted:

I am interested to see how people will continue to defend loot boxes now that it is abundantly clear that they are negatively affecting the design and increasingly balance of games.

Games are really expensive to make in TYOOL 2017, they have to make their money somehow.

We shouldn't punish the developers for being forced to include this by the publisher.

You can get everything in the loot boxes without paying by just *getting extremely lucky and/or grinding a shitload*

*false equivalence between loot boxes and less lovely forms of in game purchases*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

What games from this year will you all be playing into 2018? I'm going to continue playing Injustice 2 up until whenever Mortal Kombat XI comes out.

I've beaten Horizon three times now and once the DLC is out I'll probably do a mega start-from-scratch 100% completion run on Ultra Hard before I put the game down for good.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

i have the buffs, i use the buffs, i just don't... i'm so unenthused about this lovely attrition boss that it's killed my drive to play this game

Rakunda and Tarunda are your best friends in that fight alongside any persona you have that can soak fire and still heal or damage the table; Masukukaja is a god-send as well if you have it, and Sukunda might be worth it as well

also don't be shy about using magic mirrors if you have any of them in your items, even one round of repelled damage can be the difference maker

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello my lovely games thread!

This weekend I saw Bladerunner 2049. The original was my third favourite film of all time and now, thanks to that incredible film, Bladerunner 2049 is now my third favourite film of all time. Goodness it was a great weekend!

I also played a little Crypt of the Necrodancer, Picross S and Golf Story! All in all a very nice and relaxing weekend :D

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno that I think its better than the first film, but drat 2049 was a good watch and I can't wait to revisit it.

Between that and Twin Peaks, 2017 was a strong year for franchise revivals.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I ordered Bladerunner: Final Cut from the library this weekend and I'm gonna try to watch it this week, see what all of the hype is about! I'm sick and have a sore throat, too, so an even better excuse to stay in and chill out and watch movies.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love that Battlefront 2 mixes Star Wars eras, it's the right choice, it's fun to have Darth Maul fight against Han Solo. I digged that you could do stuff like that in Masters of Teras Kasi and I dig it now. Gaming is a cool medium like that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Blerkotron/status/916687080297820160

I just saw this on twitter and was reminded of you, VideoGames!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I ordered Bladerunner: Final Cut from the library this weekend and I'm gonna try to watch it this week, see what all of the hype is about! I'm sick and have a sore throat, too, so an even better excuse to stay in and chill out and watch movies.
You can't go wrong with any of the cuts but I think I liked the theatrical a little more fwiw.

If you end up liking Blade Runner, I recommend picking up the blu ray that has all of the different versions of the movie. It's fun to compare and contrast them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Raxivace posted:

You can't go wrong with any of the cuts but I think I liked the theatrical a little more fwiw.

If you end up liking the movie I recommend the blu ray that has all of the different versions of the movie. It's fun to compare and contrast them.

As I understand it, the theatrical cut has narration that neither the director nor Han Solo liked, and the Final Cut is the only one where the director had complete creative control, so that's why I picked it.

I hope I like it enough to do that! It's so cool to dig into why movies get made the way they do.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/Blerkotron/status/916687080297820160

I just saw this on twitter and was reminded of you, VideoGames!

Haha! That is truly wonderful! I was so worried too, then all the media saying how good it was and I thought I was living in some strange dream and it turned out they were all right :D

I do have the final cut blu-ray, as well as that special DVD edition with all the different versions and a bonus disc (dangerous days) and all that jazz. I've never gotten tired of watching Bladerunner. It was hugely influential to my own creative hobby. I wasn't expecting to like 2049 as much as I do so it was a massively welcome surprise!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The original Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie but 2049... I dunno, just wasn't feeling it. I think the script has a lot of pacing problems and many characters, particularly the female leads are very underwritten. When we were leaving the theater my wife remarked "this was a movie for dudes" and I was inclined to agree. I'm not surprised to hear the movie isn't doing well with any demographic that isn't males over the age of 30.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Batllefront 2 is okay enough and I dig the starfighter stage, but I don't like most of the Star Wars character designs and think the game is really hampered by having to stay faithful to them. When Team Fortress 2 came out Valve made a big deal about making each class visibly distinct so you knew who you were facing with a moment's glance. In Battlefront 2 one side is literally the same thin droid with different weapons, and another is three guys in Stormtrooper armor and one guy with no armor at all.

E: it also highlights how bland Episode 7 was, where the two special ships it introduces for the starfighter stage are completely forgettable. Oh yea, all the fond memories I have of *squints* Poe Dameron's unique X-Wing.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 9, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Every cut of Blade Runner is interesting in their own ways, but if you've never seen it before at this point the Final Cut is going to be the best introduction. Also watch the documentary "Dangerous Days" about the insanity of how the movie got made in the first place, it's almost as good as the Apocalypse Now "Heart of Darkness" documentary for similar reasons.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite thing about Blade Runner is the fact that you can run around in VR with one of Deckard's pistol in each hand blasting hot dog robots

Also that new movie is pretty good!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

blade runner is better if deckard isn't a replicant

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When's Snatcher 2049

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2am8qaCikIo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The ambiguity around Deckard's humanity in the original Blade Runner is more interesting than coming down on one side or the other. The message of the movie isn't "what does it mean to be human," it's "the modern world leads to people leading such lonely and unfulfilling lives that they're wholly indistinguishable from artifice."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I like when they simply don't answer the question. That's how the version that I originally watched was and what I thought was the perfect ending.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only one i've seen is where he has the unicorn dream and then gaff makes the origami unicorn

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

None of the versions really definitively answer the question of whether Deckard is a Replicant. Even the Final Cut, which is probably the most Replicant-favoring of the five most well-known edits of the film, still leaves it ambiguous as to whether Gaff really knows Deckard's memories or is just taunting him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been so long since I saw anything but the Directors Cut I've no idea what was and wasn't in the theatrical version. It must have been like 25 years since the one time I saw it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been so long since I saw anything but the Directors Cut I've no idea what was and wasn't in the theatrical version. It must have been like 25 years since the one time I saw it.

The main difference is that the director's cut removed the voice over narration and added in Deckard's unicorn dream, which could then be interpreted as Gaff later knowing Deckard's memories. If all you were familiar with was the original theatrical cut, the question of Deckard's humanity wouldn't have really come up unless it was in the abstract "isn't all modern life dehumanizing" sense.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

From what I remember in the theatrical version they simply drive away through a forest landscape which was also a contrast to the cyberpunk rainy city. The fun bit of trivia is that those shots were unused aerial helicopter shots from Kubrick's The Shining.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I absolutely agree that it doesn't matter if Deckard is or isn't a replicant. That's not what we are trying to question and that is why I love it. I love stories that examine what we call humanity. It's such an interesting and intriguing concept.

Are there games that go into this sort of thing? (I did play the original Bladerunner game all those years ago, and that was a ride!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I absolutely agree that it doesn't matter if Deckard is or isn't a replicant. That's not what we are trying to question and that is why I love it. I love stories that examine what we call humanity. It's such an interesting and intriguing concept.

Are there games that go into this sort of thing? (I did play the original Bladerunner game all those years ago, and that was a ride!)

Spec Ops the Line :v:

....in all seriousness: LOCALHOST absolutely goes into this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Remember Me is set in a sci-fi dystopia where people's memories can be commodified and sold to the highest bidder. I'd have a hard time recommending it as a game because the combat and platforming is nothing special but conceptually it's very interesting and it usually goes in those humble Capcom bundles for like 2bux.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when deckard rapes rachael and later is saved by batty, two characters who are "more human than human", it definitely matters whether or not he was human

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

Witcher 3 does it at least a few times but replace replicants with monsters. Also humans are the real monsters etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh yeah, the main plot of Binary Domain revolves around the replicant idea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should play that for more than 30 minutes some time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Final Fantasy 9, kinda, not exactly the same though since the party is made up of a variety of species and some of them are very confused about their own existence and place in the world.

Joke answers: star ocean 3, kingdom hearts 2, eternal sonata

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He say you brade runner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

VideoGames posted:

Nier Automata goes hard into it from the "non-humans trying to figure out what it means to live as defined by humanity" angle

• Locked thread