Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I wanna play a Tales game, and I see Symphonia is on the PS store listed as a PS3 game. Does that mean it's backwards compatible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

I wanna play a Tales game, and I see Symphonia is on the PS store listed as a PS3 game. Does that mean it's backwards compatible?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Symphonia was originally a Gamecube game, then ported to the PS2, then to the PS3. Those are the platforms it will run on.

edit: oh, and it's on Steam too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Benny the Snake”" post="“477195651”"]
I wanna play a Tales game, and I see Symphonia is on the PS store listed as a PS3 game. Does that mean it’s backwards compatible?
[/quote]

Ps3 games are playable on ps3

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
poo poo. What Tales game on the PS4 should I get, then?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

poo poo. What Tales game on the PS4 should I get, then?
The latest one, Berseria, I say.

edit: to be clear, there is no backwards compatibility on the PS4. Not for PS3, PS2 or PS1 games. That ship sailed years ago. You can put that idea out of your head entirely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good news, Tales of Berseria, the best Tales game, is availabale on PS4

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Your Tales options on the PS4 are:

-Tales of Zestiria(Don't)
-Tales of Berseria(Haven't played but supposedly good)
-Tales from the Borderlands(Wrong series, but also good)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Samuringa posted:

-Tales from the Borderlands(Wrong series, but also good)

Lmao but also yes play this it's good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do not play zestria. Its so bad i refuse to play another tales game ever

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Real hurthling! posted:

That's a huge mistake. But yeah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

Zestria also poisoned the Tales well for me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Open your hearts to Berseria and let the healing begin

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Real hurthling! posted:

God eater 3 is still gonna be on vita afterall.

Nah, it isn't

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“kirbysuperstar”" post="“477197110”"]
Nah, it isn’t
[/quote]

Oh i was misled. Mea culpa

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Vita...had a good life

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Were the Xillias worthwhile? I think those were PS3 though

Vesperia is the actual best Tales (I haven't played Berseria yet) but it is sadly stuck on the Xbox unless you can moon rune.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got first light when it was free on PS+ ages ago and despite on paper everything working for me, I loving hated it and felt bored to tears just trying to play it. The first time you get sent to those challenge rooms I just had like zero desire to play or give a poo poo about what was going on.
Second son in comparison I am actually on board with and probably would have paid $10/$15 for if first light (and a unanimous media saying fl was a better version of it) didn't make me think it'd be crap. I need to go back to it and really figure out why I have such opposing views - I've noticed it a little in this thread. Some people very seriously hate one over the other and it changes for different people.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Were the Xillias worthwhile? I think those were PS3 though

Vesperia is the actual best Tales (I haven't played Berseria yet) but it is sadly stuck on the Xbox unless you can moon rune.

The First Xillia is great. Decent combat, fun characters, the best leads. Xillia 2 felt like mediocre fan fiction, with a blatant Mary Sue/player insert protagonist who is the best at everything and is adored by all the old characters (who are all worsely written). In fact, he's so great you're at a disadvantage if you decide to switch to another character. The story is dumb as rocks and most of the areas are reused from the first game. Note that the story isn't bland, like in Graces. It's kind of interesting. But also really dumb.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 9, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think one of the temples from Tales of Symphonia made me hate that game forever. I think it was the Shadow temple? Some temple where you had to lead these little blob things somewhere.

I started getting pretty bored with it everything about it a little over halfway through the game. When I got there, I couldn't wait to be finished. But I did beat it. Never did play the sequel on the Wii though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Renoistic posted:

The First Xillia is great. Decent combat, fun characters, the best leads. Xillia 2 felt like mediocre fan fiction, with a blatant Mary Sue/player insert protagonist who is the best at everything and is adored by all the old characters (who are all worsely written). In fact, he's so great you're at a disadvantage if you decide to switch to another character. The story is dumb as rocks and most of the areas are reused from the first game. Note that the story isn't bland, like in Graces. It's kind of interesting. But also really dumb.

Good to know, thanks! If I ever get JRPG time again I'll probably play the first before Berseria and give the second a pass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blackguy32 posted:

I think one of the temples from Tales of Symphonia made me hate that game forever. I think it was the Shadow temple? Some temple where you had to lead these little blob things somewhere.

I started getting pretty bored with it everything about it a little over halfway through the game. When I got there, I couldn't wait to be finished. But I did beat it. Never did play the sequel on the Wii though.

The sequel is actually the worst Tales game so you lucked out.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

There's also the new Ys game which looks like a Tales game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A couple days ago I returned to Ys 8 after a bit away. Ys games are great when you're running around swinging your sword as fast as you possibly can and pretty lame all the rest of the time. Also I hate the default control scheme of them, but thankfully they let you remap everything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The last Ys game I played was Origins, which was surprisingly pretty good. I couldn't really tell you what the series is about though because I only ever played that one and I think one on TG16 where you hurt enemies by walking into them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The plot is like the least important thing in a Ys game anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The new ys is 4000x better than any tales game unless you need small breast anime trope jokes to sustain your unlife

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The sequel is actually the worst Tales game so you lucked out.

Worse then Symphonia 2? Home of the most whining down todden but secretly badass trope in all anime history?

I've always loved Symphonia and that was a dagger to my heart.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I didnt know Ys exist. Tell me where to start goons. Again Symphonia was my jam and Ive been chasing it ever sense with Tales to lesser or greater success.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Bombadilillo”" post="“477206069”"]
I didnt know Ys exist. Tell me where to start goons. Again Symphonia was my jam and Ive been chasing it ever sense with Tales to lesser or greater success.
[/quote]

Ys is an action rpg all the way. Tales is like a quasi hybrid so in ys its much more blasting through enemies and styling on bosses and running full steam around interconnected maps.

On pc/vita you can play most of them.

On ps4 you can play origin and 8, which is baller

Try the 8 demo to see if you like it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ys is insanely fast. It's like playing Quake 3 but with a sword.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Ys is an action rpg all the way. Tales is like a quasi hybrid so in ys its much more blasting through enemies and styling on bosses and running full steam around interconnected maps.

On pc/vita you can play most of them.

On ps4 you can play origin and 8, which is baller

Try the 8 demo to see if you like it

Tales with no loading transitions? Where the hell have I been. AND DEMO? Thanks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The only bad thing about ys is the default button layout makes my brain hurt. Even the awful stories are great because one of the pillars of ys gameplay is cutscene ffw/skip

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bombadilillo posted:

You can pretty much start anywhere, there's very little to no tie-ins between the games. You can start with Ys 8 and work your way back if you want. Oath in Felghana is also supremely good and I hear Origins is great but I haven't got around to that one yet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GT Sport seems okay I guess? No weather and replays aren't full screen for some reason.

Seems to handle well with controller. My big dumb wheel setup currently doesn't work on PS4 so I can't test that.

Probably gunna skip it and keep playing Forza tho.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You can pretty much start anywhere, there's very little to no tie-ins between the games. You can start with Ys 8 and work your way back if you want. Oath in Felghana is also supremely good and I hear Origins is great but I haven't got around to that one yet.

The exception to this is Ys 2. Absolutely don't play it until you've beaten the first game as it directly continues on from the ending of 1.

The rest is about right though yes, you'll see little connections and namedrops here and there between games but otherwise you can play Ys in any order. Though perhaps Ys Origins would mean a bit more to you if you play it after 1 and 2 but it's still a prequel to 1 so you wouldn't be lost if you played it first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bombadilillo posted:

Tales with no loading transitions? Where the hell have I been. AND DEMO? Thanks

It's really nothing like Tales except being anime I guess, it's an action RPG through and through.

Real hurthling! posted:

The new ys is 4000x better than any tales game unless you need small breast anime trope jokes to sustain your unlife

Berseria will probably make it into my top ten games of the year and Ys 8 is unlikely to

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Haven't played the new Ys but Berseria is really loving good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys 8 is decent but it lacks the sense of progression that I loved about the earlier games, in those a single level or new piece of equipment feels like a serious upgrade, in 8 they just feel like any other RPG.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Andrast posted:

Haven't played the new Ys but Berseria is really loving good

Agreed, I wish I hadn't forced myself through like fifty hours of Zestiria before playing Berseria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It seems Original Sin is a rare game. I hunted on eBay for 2 weeks then gave up and bought it used from Gamestop of all places.
Normally Gamestop is hugely overpriced but in this case they had the best price at 27€. The closest on eBay was 35 used excluding shipping.

This will be the our next coop game after we finish Diablo 3, as the GF loves isometric rpgs with character progression. Anything I need to know before playing 2 player co-op in terms of crippling build combos or difficulty?