Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Straight White Shark posted:

I know it's sad to feel nostalgic for the garbage fire that is Penny Arcade but man seeing some of those old strips make me really miss PA circa 10 years ago.

Oh yeah, I can read pretty much any strip from late 2001 through like 2008 and remember exactly what was going on in my life when it originally ran. It makes me miss everything from circa 10 years ago - the strip, video games in general, the world at large, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I used to print them off and tuck them away in my high school binder to re-read during study hall.

That and Bob and George. And Real Life.

gently caress.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bob and George was the Homestuck that came before Homestuck.

Feel free to take that as a compliment or insult as per your tastes.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the art was starting to look like what i'd consider 'iconic PA' by like 2006, and then it looks like it just kind of... stagnates after 2010

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

the art was starting to look like what i'd consider 'iconic PA' by like 2006, and then it looks like it just kind of... stagnates after 2010

People usually focus on the art but honestly the writing pretty much follows the same curve. After 2010 fewer and fewer strips even bother making an actual joke.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The hair tumor takes off in 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, Rjinder's skin monster. :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

I didn't even remember Maugras having an artificial foot... although apparently neither did Magnolia :v:, since Skin-chan sliced off the wrong foot rather than the one that became Maugras's monster. Usually she's really good on these details, like how if you go back and re-read through the old back and white pages you notice that Nancy's mom is actually all over the place and you just don't realize it because you write her off as a barely connected rando until the big reveal.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Hey Morbi, Kuroscuro and Chiaroshiro are two great-rear end names! Also I still dig the comic despite the format change

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
wew poppy

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Someone mentioned Scurry in the last thread. They have a Kickstarter now.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I know it doesn't get a whole lot of attention because it updates fairly slowly, but I have to give Stonebreaker props for being consistently good.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Tim Jones: The Final Boss of Scary Go Round?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

People usually focus on the art but honestly the writing pretty much follows the same curve. After 2010 fewer and fewer strips even bother making an actual joke.

it tanks SUPER hard once they have kids.

edit: the best thing about Penny Arcade is that it was what introduced me (and I imagine many others,) to Kris Straub, who remains top tier

Crocoswine fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tbf it could have gone a lot loving worse, at least they wised up (after a few years) and just went bland instead of going all in with dickwolves.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

edit: the best thing about Penny Arcade is that it was what introduced me (and I imagine many others,) to Kris Straub, who remains top tier

I just wish he'd finish Broodhollow. I mean, good on him for being a good dad and getting on to TV shows and that kind of stuff but man, it's disappointing how Broodhollow just stopped entirely.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wish he doesn't.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It is. It's one of those projects, like Templar AZ, I have patience for but hope the creators get back to, even if it's years from now.

Speaking of which, Templar AZ has been down for probably a year. The site got hacked or something and Spike never put it back up because she stopped updating by then.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

pretty positive at this point TAZ is never coming back, Spike's moved on to other and biggerthings

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What are they doing now?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

running her own publishing company. Usually she contributes to the content too.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I think Spike is my favorite webcomics person- shes likable and ultra competent, and I wish we had more people from whatever bizarro version of the webcomics industry she came from.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 5, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-8-page-6/

Woah Freddie

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
No no no no no no no

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I only played the first game but ot seems the backstory for Five Nights at Freddies got real dark.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A brave new fetish for the webcomic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The first chapters are really rough and it's occasionally NSFW whenever I need a little more anatomy practice, but ten chapters into Running Riot Stardust the Super Wizard has turned the last chapter's villain (a scientist who was turning people into insect/*, arachnid/*, and more rarely whale/* and fish/human hybrids) into a Tarantula and left him at the mercy of a Tarantula Hawk Wasp.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Woah Magnolia

Skin-chan claims her first real victim and Monster Pulse is officially done loving around anymore :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think that's the third onscreen-death in monster pulse now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tollymain posted:

i think that's the third onscreen-death in monster pulse now

Yeah, the series' body count stands at Roger Jr., Abel's sister and Lungy, the finger gecko, and now Drummer, as far as I can recall.

Oh and I guess Maugras's dopey foot monster counts too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Tim Jones manages to answer the question: how could I make this mess even worse than it already is:

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20171009

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Tim Jones manages to answer the question: how could I make this mess even worse than it already is:

I've heard of Pennyroyal Tea, but this is ridiculous!!!

(Watch Tim Jones inadvertently retcon Erin and Estace's tenuous relationship with mortality.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's interesting how Allison is showing Lottie et al and their perception of Tim. I think I mentioned in this thread, or a previous incarnation of it, that he's a difficult character to have around because his abilities are completely out of line with the more grounded take the series has adopted. So instead of them seeing him as say, Good Old Tim, like Eustace or Shelly would, they see him as this unrestrained agent of chaos. I'm sure this is probably closer to the author's feeling for the character as well, since this story does feel like it's setting him up for some kind of viking boat fate.

EDIT-Oh and Jack has glasses now? Is this the thing he and Shauna will finally bond over again??

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 9, 2017

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm trying to recall the name of a webcomic I read about 10 years ago. I want to say it was called Monster Planet or something like that, but obviously google isn't getting me anywhere. It was all in black/white, and started with a guy hunting lions (?). It was very surreal and stream-of-consciousness, if you're talking about the consciousness of a schizophrenic. I think it might have been created by a FYAD poster. Anyone have an idea what I'm talking about, and if so, is that comic still hosted somewhere?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crocoswine posted:

I feel bad for anyone who hadn't discovered him through Keenspot crossovers in the mid 00s.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

According to my googling it was 'Demon Planet' and is no longer online.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

According to my googling it was 'Demon Planet' and is no longer online.

Demon Planet, that's it. Thanks! Also, that loving sucks. There's a couple of pages on Tumblr, but to see something disappear from the internet so thoroughly is weird.

e: well, there IS this https://monsterkillersarchive.wordpress.com

Smirr fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 9, 2017

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Scaramouche posted:

It's interesting how Allison is showing Lottie et al and their perception of Tim.

I can see the rest of the story being a divide between how Tim views himself and his actions (a well-intentioned Everyman who's been the victim of a shocking run of bad luck) and how the kids view him (a dangerous and egomaniacal lunatic).

I bet the story ends with the kids righteously booting him through a portal into another dimension or something, while a much put-upon Tim wails: "why is EVERYONE against me??"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pistol_Pete posted:

Oh god, he's going to wind up Flashpointing the Bobbinsverse.

Dammit Tim, you are the worst.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god, he's going to wind up Flashpointing the Bobbinsverse.

Dammit Tim, you are the worst.

Noooooo we just got everything mostly the way we liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

That's why he has to ruin it. He is a ruiner.