Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I heard that the studio is working about three years in advance, so by the time of that board meeting saying they want to be more inclusive, the primaris stuff was all written and done. Most likely the sad reality is that the thought of how perfect an opportunity to introduce marines made from female stock as well as male they passed up simply never crossed their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ijyt posted:

After all that gene modding space marines are barely human, let alone male or female.

Just say that space marines can come from male or female recruits but at the end of the process they're all huge sterile musclefreaks that are indifferentiable.

Release a little sprue with 10-20 female guards(wo)men heads that you can put on the regular Cadian bodies and IG/AM are done on that front too! Catachans might need new kits but those kits are due for an update anyway.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 9, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't think we're going to escape the 80s pedigree of the ironic, hyper-masculine murderfuture any time soon.

The new Necromunda seems like a step in the right direction though.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Shockeh posted:

richyp gets it - The point being that female armoured shapes are (apparently endemically, and reinforced by cinema and games especially) entirely wrong.

I'm getting old and ranty. I think if Lego can make it so my 4yr old can tell different genders apart without me telling him, via a mere head swap (often hair alone) then surely GW can do it. Also before anyone suggests it, yes Mk 10.2 Primaris with Lego heads would be about the right scale.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm considering integrating the new Echers in Catachan squads once the new Necromunda is out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Groetgaffel posted:

I'm considering integrating the new Echers in Catachan squads once the new Necromunda is out.

This is a really good idea.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It says something about the hobby that there are many places to go if you want female models with their tits out, or posed like something out of Gor, but nobody but Victoria Lamb seems to be capable of doing decent female IG models.

You know what, I'm about a quarter of the way through assembling my Primaris. It'd only be like $15 to replace the exposed heads on my characters with Lamb's...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

It says something about the hobby that there are many places to go if you want female models with their tits out, or posed like something out of Gor, but nobody but Victoria Lamb seems to be capable of doing decent female IG models.

You know what, I'm about a quarter of the way through assembling my Primaris. It'd only be like $15 to replace the exposed heads on my characters with Lamb's...

http://statuesqueminiatures.mobile034.com/c/4535598/1/heroic-scale-accessories.html

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those are some pretty nice sculpts, thanks!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Liquid Communism posted:

If you do this, please post pictures on whatever the nerds use these days Warseer?/Dakka?/Facebook? (I've no idea what the cool kids use) and post the best comments you get here.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Those are some pretty nice sculpts, thanks!
I've bought a few, I like them quite a bit. Much cheaper than Victoria Lamb if you only want headswaps too. Five pounds for ten heads is not bad at all.
Both my kitbashed Creed and counts as Pask use these. I'll post em whenever I actually finish painting them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Groetgaffel posted:

I've bought a few, I like them quite a bit. Much cheaper than Victoria Lamb if you only want headswaps too. Five pounds for ten heads is not bad at all.
Both my kitbashed Creed and counts as Pask use these. I'll post em whenever I actually finish painting them.

Most of my biglys are going to be wearing helmets anyway, so I only really need to swap the sergeants and LTs. I don't know how well those heads would look on Aggressors or the Captain, and my Reivers are getting sweet rear end skull masks all around.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Most of my biglys are going to be wearing helmets anyway, so I only really need to swap the sergeants and LTs. I don't know how well those heads would look on Aggressors or the Captain, and my Reivers are getting sweet rear end skull masks all around.
I remembered seeing one of these heads used on a bigly in the goon chapter challenge thread. Went back and dug this up:

Danimo posted:

I've got a pretty silly idea for DOOM SPECTRES that would require some time and planning so I started on FIRE LIONS (Dryad Bark, Mephiston Red). Decided to grab one of the lieutenants from the Dark Imperium box and do a bit of conversion with bits I recently got from Bad Squiddo

Basecoated and washed a bit, and got started on the face. Didn't do much planning, and I'm considering doing something with that prominent right kneepad. Maybe I'll paint over it with white or orange and try some freehand.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Still want to do that with the Blacktalon head from the latest AoS box as I have one of the starter box lieutenants begging for a head swap. But I haven't been able to find the model by itself for a decent price anywhere nor is it available at my usual bitz retailers either. Which is even stranger since they're usually on top with that.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

jadebullet posted:

I gotta say, the new Mortarion model goes together extremely nicely. I managed to build mine in about 2 hours.

Now I just have to finish my hobby commitment of painting the rest of my Sylvaneth for Armies on Parade so I can get started on painting him.

I feel this got glossed over by everyone, but 1) nice conversion, and 2) as a Thousand Sons player, I'm triggered so hard right now. What prompted the decision to use Magnus' wings?

Also, people talking about Slaanesh needing to be retconned should read Fulgrim if they haven't already. It's a great exploration of excess in general. I mean, poo poo be nasty in places, but it's not just all leather boobs and dicks.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Milotic posted:

Also, people talking about Slaanesh needing to be retconned should read Fulgrim if they haven't already. It's a great exploration of excess in general. I mean, poo poo be nasty in places, but it's not just all leather boobs and dicks.

Fulgrim is one of the best books from the Heresy era, and totally does Slannesh right. Slannesh can work, GW just needs to do a little more to make it less "tits, rear end, and dick" and more "obsession to the point of total corruption".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Just say that space marines can come from male or female recruits but at the end of the process they're all huge sterile musclefreaks that are indifferentiable.

I guess men are just more expendable in the 41st millennium.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Broken Record Talk posted:

Fulgrim is one of the best books from the Heresy era, and totally does Slannesh right. Slannesh can work, GW just needs to do a little more to make it less "tits, rear end, and dick" and more "obsession to the point of total corruption".

Slaneesh is an important part of the Warhammer world. It's like bait, the groggiest nards and neckiest beards just can't help but dive in and create abominations that the rest of the community knows to ostracize them for. Without Slaneesh you might accidentally peg one of those people as normal and interact.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Imperium probably has a pretty poor record with regards to LGBTQ rights.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Imperium probably has a pretty poor record with regards to LGBTQ rights.

No it doesn't, because "The Imperium" doesn't actually exist, every aspect of it up to and including the absence or presence of female warriors is determined by a staff of white men in nottingham. A completely fictional entity can't have a history of anything, it's whatever the writers currently want it to be. They can change any of this at a moment's notice and so far have chosen not to.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Lady Marines are cool and good, and if Statuesque releases some mutated headsculpts/I magically become good with green-stuff you better believe I'm adding some Goonette Marines to my Death Guard.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

#notmyretcon

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

chutche2 posted:

No it doesn't, because "The Imperium" doesn't actually exist, every aspect of it up to and including the absence or presence of female warriors is determined by a staff of white men in nottingham. A completely fictional entity can't have a history of anything, it's whatever the writers currently want it to be. They can change any of this at a moment's notice and so far have chosen not to.

The Imperium IS kind of a big coalition of baddies, though. That's the point. They're a xenophobic, fascist empire that holds zero regard for human life, and even less for alien life. There are parts of the Imperium that are genuinely good, but the overall machine is evil.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I bet he missed the point of Starship Troopers too.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If Games Workshop wants to be more inclusive how about addressing the problem of how there only seems to be white people in space

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Imperium IS kind of a big coalition of baddies, though. That's the point. They're a xenophobic, fascist empire that holds zero regard for human life, and even less for alien life. There are parts of the Imperium that are genuinely good, but the overall machine is evil.

Okay?

For an evil uncaring machine that has no regard for human life, it seems like they'd be throwing lots of women into the meat grinder too, it's a waste of human resources not to. GW was bragging about their new female art in the guard book and how they're being more representative and I think I saw two females in it.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

chutche2 posted:

Okay?

For an evil uncaring machine that has no regard for human life, it seems like they'd be throwing lots of women into the meat grinder too, it's a waste of human resources not to. GW was bragging about their new female art in the guard book and how they're being more representative and I think I saw two females in it.

This was in response to your response about the Imperium's record on LGBT rights...

I am in no way opposed to more female representation in GW products, especially in the Guard.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 9, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

This was in response to your response about the Imperium's record on LGBT rights...

Have you seen anything on their stance on LGBTQ rights that backs up what you're arguing then?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Okay?

Did you just assume gender??

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

If Games Workshop wants to be more inclusive how about addressing the problem of how there only seems to be white people in space

An unironicly good Goose Willis post.

The amount of times I had people walk in when I was working and ask how to paint 'normal skin' was painful, so much tongue biting.

It'd be nice if there were more resources for painting non-honky skintones, I've tried for at least an even mix of skintones in my Deathwatch. Same with my Death Guard 'cept various shades of gross.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Too many goony fucks make arguments about the ~history~ of fictional settings like this, and that's primarily what I was commenting on since the discussion was about female representation. Sorry if we're not on the same page.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

ijyt posted:

Did you just assume gender??

Catachans are an all female regiment.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

goose willis posted:

This is a persistent detail that many 40k fans tend to overlook, being white. I'm being dead serious when I say that the only logical explanation is that the God-Emperor literally genocided all of the browns except for a few East Asians (and not those dirty SEAs, apparently.) Humans are going to look nothing like that in 30,000 years, mainly because we're going to all be charred skeletons scattering the surface of a burnt-out husk of a world, but I digress.

chutche2 posted:

This is just pretty much inexcusable at this point. I'd really like to see a conversion kit or infantry squad of Cadian women. I'd be all over that poo poo and it would literally require a single sprue of heads at minimum. I know that third party bits exist (more like "naughty bits") but I'd like to see some official support.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

This is official art.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

[quote="“chutche2”" post="“477203114”"]
No it doesn’t, because “The Imperium” doesn’t actually exist, every aspect of it up to and including the absence or presence of female warriors is determined by a staff of white men in nottingham. A completely fictional entity can’t have a history of anything, it’s whatever the writers currently want it to be. They can change any of this at a moment’s notice and so far have chosen not to.
[/quote]

:agreed:

Also the Imperium only cares if you are a human and don’t have any horns growing from places they shouldn’t.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Frobbe posted:

This is official art.

Yes. That is one of the two I saw in the codex, as I stated. Do they want a medal for two whole drawings? Not even part of any if the full page art scenes that I saw, just two small female drawings as part of some of the alternate regiments.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, even the black space marines are white

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, only palefaces will survive due to low levels of vitamin D.

SteelMentor posted:

An unironicly good Goose Willis post.

The amount of times I had people walk in when I was working and ask how to paint 'normal skin' was painful, so much tongue biting.

It'd be nice if there were more resources for painting non-honky skintones, I've tried for at least an even mix of skintones in my Deathwatch. Same with my Death Guard 'cept various shades of gross.

Yeah dark skin is legitimately harder to paint well and make pop for obvious reasons, but so many people don't even bother trying. For the Crimson Fists I figured these dudes are Hispanic as gently caress, there's no way everyone is a pasty white Space Spaniard, so I went for a nice blend.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 9, 2017

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

chutche2 posted:

Yes. That is one of the two I saw in the codex, as I stated. Do they want a medal for two whole drawings? Not even part of any if the full page art scenes that I saw, just two small female drawings as part of some of the alternate regiments.

In your haste to write this, Did you ever stop to consider that you wouldn't be able to see any difference once there's helmets involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Corrode posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, only palefaces will survive due to low levels of vitamin D.

idk man the sisters of battle sure seem to be getting plenty of vitamin D namean

Frobbe posted:

In your haste to write this, Did you ever stop to consider that you wouldn't be able to see any difference once there's helmets involved?

lol

wait is this unironic