Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah Cabe, you want in to the line here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Who's got a fave manga shop in Taipei? Lookin for recs

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
drat thought it posted this but can someone please invite me to Line?

And I'm in Taipei for the weekend back Monday. Anyone up for a bite Sunday?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just sent an invite. Sunday's a maybe for me though

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

drat thought it posted this but can someone please invite me to Line?

And I'm in Taipei for the weekend back Monday. Anyone up for a bite Sunday?

I heard about this Taiwanese place called Ding Tai Fung that's supposed to be good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Magna Kaser posted:

I heard about this Taiwanese place called Ding Tai Fung that's supposed to be good.
Assuming this isn't sarcasm.

It's like the Taiwanese equivalent of Chili's or Red Lobster, or whatever middle class chain you can imagine. People love it because it's famous, and for locals, experiencing dinner in a famous or interesting place is more important than if the food is good. The food is fine but it's created by line cooks in a soulless fashion and it's the same at every one you go to.

There's always a line a mile long in front of it so expect a wait of 30 minutes for a table; though ordering to go is pretty quick as there's a separate queue for that and practically nobody does it because again; it's all about being out and in the location for locals.

Their menu is fairly wide; but as I used to live near the Dongmen branch I could tell you 5 places to go nearby that do some of what Din does, but with actually flavorful food and probably no wait.

Recommendation: wait for a Taiwanese person to ask to take you there, then act surprised and excited to visit such a famous place, grab a rice/seaweed triangle from 7-11 to tide you over while you wait. Let them order everything they think you should try from the menu. Act like the food is super tasty, give them a big smile and be sure to take lots of selfies and pictures of the food. Don't forget to take one with the shao long bao head character in front of the store. Congratulations on having successfully built up some guanxi with a local.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
you can also choose to be a normal person and just eat the food with people without doing social gymnastics in your head

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

PaybackJack posted:

Assuming this isn't sarcasm.

lmao

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There's also a couple Chili's in Taipei, actually, which I thought was weird because Chili's is hardly the best US chain, but Taiwanese Chili's isn't that bad. No Red Lobster though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
man, i could use a red lobster

din tai fung sells decent dumplings and food but are clearly more expensive than they're worth and hey why don't we wait in line for loving ever because that is indeed the true "popular in taiwan" experience so

my favorite xiao long bao was from dude who had a shop next to the park in yong he and were these ones where the skin was more like a meat bun kinda material but not as thick and the inside was just fuckin' tasty meat and they were 60-70 NT a tray and were clearly superior to din tai fung's and that guy closed his shop and is who knows where now whereas din tai fung still sells their just ok dumplings like hotcakes because god is dead and we have killed him

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hey Taiwan thread. My family and I will be travelling to Taipei around February next year, and I was thinking of getting a prepaid data SIM card to help with navigation and translations.

Since we'll be arriving at around 2am local time, picking up a SIM at the airport is not an option. But I did notice that 7-11's there sell prepaid SIMs. Had a couple of questions for you:

1. How's the speed of the ibon mobile data within the city and surrounding areas? We'll be staying mainly within Taipei, but may take a day trip or two.
2. It seems I would need to apply for the SIM via the ibon machine. Does that machine have English instructions?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I grabbed a Chunghwa SIM card at the airport with unlimited data for one month for 1000NTD and even had 4G when hiking near Lishan, so I wouldn't worry about coverage too much in Taipei itself.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So how's the English teaching job market in Taiwan these days? Is the OP still accurate? I'm planning to move on to Taiwan July/August 2018.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I just moved here a week ago after applying online. Found a job within a few days. I have a CELTA and a BA.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Anyone have inroads for finance industry recruiters? Not looking to move for maybe a couple of years but I figure it might be worth it to look around early in case something really good shows in the meantime.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

leekster posted:

I just moved here a week ago after applying online. Found a job within a few days. I have a CELTA and a BA.

Cool, I've got a BSc, CELTA and by that time, 2.5year experience. Is that in Taipei?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xerxes17 posted:

So how's the English teaching job market in Taiwan these days? Is the OP still accurate? I'm planning to move on to Taiwan July/August 2018.

The job market's still fine as far as I know. There's a goon who's head NST at a Hess branch now, so you have an in!:v:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Anyone have inroads for finance industry recruiters? Not looking to move for maybe a couple of years but I figure it might be worth it to look around early in case something really good shows in the meantime.

Same but for IT. I've already dumped my CV on 104 but would be good to talk to people about the situation on the ground.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I would strongly recommend against considering IT in Taiwan. everyone I know from CSIE that isn't in hardware r&d (MSI, HTC etc) is beyond depressed and trying to jump ship to another country. I don't know anyone in ops.

e: if you're set on taiwan and IT, get a remote position somewhere in the western world, and take a trip somewhere every few months to renew a landing visa.

sentimental snail fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 9, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

leekster posted:

Want a Line invite, by the way? We have a group going.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Xerxes17 posted:

Cool, I've got a BSc, CELTA and by that time, 2.5year experience. Is that in Taipei?

If you've got a teaching certificate/license in your home [$undefinedgeopoliticaldivision] you can get on some pretty swank jobs with international schools and even actual public schools if that's your thing. If you don't, but think you might between now and when you're expecting to come, then by god do it son!

Otherwise, your experience should get you some decent jobs, at least better than what Hess will offer. If not (or if you're just looking for the path of least resistance for coming to Taiwan), PM me and we can talk more about working for the big yellow hippo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

this is a stickup posted:

I would strongly recommend against considering IT in Taiwan. everyone I know from CSIE that isn't in hardware r&d (MSI, HTC etc) is beyond depressed and trying to jump ship to another country. I don't know anyone in ops.

e: if you're set on taiwan and IT, get a remote position somewhere in the western world, and take a trip somewhere every few months to renew a landing visa.

Good to know, thanks. I'm an ops guy (Windows, Azure, Powershell), I'll consider doing remote work but the visa renewals don't seem appealing. We'll see I guess, not in a rush, and plenty of decent offers here.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Jeoh posted:

Good to know, thanks. I'm an ops guy (Windows, Azure, Powershell), I'll consider doing remote work but the visa renewals don't seem appealing. We'll see I guess, not in a rush, and plenty of decent offers here.

the first point against it is the unlikeliness of you getting an ops job in Taiwan. the second is the corporate culture you'd be exposed to. long hours of menial work for 29k a month. a remote position worth only $30,000 USD would be 75k, and you'd have a lot more time on your hands.

one of my friends, who is an engineer with a masters in computer science and information engineering, has a great job working on ... a thing that I'm blanking on at the moment. he's making 40k and is hyped about it. you can probably do that part time as an english teacher.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The reality is that an English teacher with no experience can reasonably expect to pull in 50-70k NT a month while working a fairly lenient teaching schedule and entry positions in the tech industry start around 45-50k and come packaged with Taiwanese corporate culture.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
As far as teaching goes, you can even get teaching gigs that are pretty much real-deal gigs at international schools, without a teaching cert or license from home, it just won't be in Taipei.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
As with everything involving teaching in Asia, the more words you put into scare-quotes the more accurate a reflection of the working environment you'll get.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

[quote="“Atlas Hugged”" post="“477223311”"]
The reality is that an English teacher with no experience can reasonably expect to pull in 50-70k NT a month while working a fairly lenient teaching schedule and entry positions in the tech industry start around 45-50k and come packaged with Taiwanese corporate culture.
[/quote]

I appreciate the advice, especially the salary figures. Just not looking for an entry level position.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jeoh posted:

I appreciate the advice, especially the salary figures. Just not looking for an entry level position.

There are a few of us now (3-4 I think?) who are in tech here. I'll ping the Line group and ask them to drop in here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

the first point against it is the unlikeliness of you getting an ops job in Taiwan. the second is the corporate culture you'd be exposed to. long hours of menial work for 29k a month. a remote position worth only $30,000 USD would be 75k, and you'd have a lot more time on your hands.

one of my friends, who is an engineer with a masters in computer science and information engineering, has a great job working on ... a thing that I'm blanking on at the moment. he's making 40k and is hyped about it. you can probably do that part time as an english teacher.

Wait, hold on

First, it's like 47k/month baseline, period. Why? Chances are you're a foreigner, and that's the minimum monthly salary for hiring foreigners for anything that's not like construction.

Now that said, you'll be hard pressed to find a standard tech job because of that minimum salary, which is precisely how it works; you need to provide enough value for them to support bringing in a foreigner and not hiring a local for cheaper. So, good luck with that.

Last, either your Chinese needs to be fluent so a normal company is willing to hire you or your skills need to be loving amazing for the higher tier companies that are more foreigner friendly because they want/need the talent.

From this, the general point of entry is an English language related position, then a segue into a more tech oriented role. You can absolutely go directly into a tech role, but keep in mind the hurdles will be a lot higher

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm working in Hsinchou. I found some jobs in Taipei, just liked the atmosphere down here more so you should be good.

An invite to the line group would be awesome. It's the same as my forum name.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pirate Radar posted:

As far as teaching goes, you can even get teaching gigs that are pretty much real-deal gigs at international schools, without a teaching cert or license from home, it just won't be in Taipei.

The rules on that are supposed to be changing in the next 3-4 years though. Many schools are scrambling. I can't remember exactly when the "international" schools are only going to be able to use people with international certs, but its going to happen. My school hasn't hired anyone without one the past 2 years.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That can only be a step in the right direction.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

duckfarts posted:

Wait, hold on

the person making 40k is taiwanese.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

the person making 40k is taiwanese.

that wasn't the part i had an issue with; it was more about the part that said "29k a month" because that's not going to happen for a foreigner working full-time, for better or worse

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah minimum white collar salary is minimum for white collar workers, you can't really get around that without some ridiculous fuckery going on. Teaching is the field where we can pay you less, because our only restriction is that we have to give you at least 15 hours a week at whatever hourly rate we feel like giving you.

We usually aim for like 6-650 an hour at mine to start, which puts you around ~40k with minimum hours, to ~60k with a fuller schedule. Assuming that all your classes happen as scheduled etc. etc.

So in effect you probably end up making more on average as a teacher, but it's not guaranteed.

At least if you're going to get an ARC from your employer. If you're working off the books in some backwater child depository your mileage will vary significantly.

Also it's worth noting that every foreign teacher needs a criminal record check from back home now, which absolutely sucks for Americans, so maybe take the time to get that poo poo handled before you land in Taiwan.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Gatdamn those are some dogshit salaries

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taiwan doesn't really need or want foreign talent in the way Southeast Asia does. The issues have way more to do with systemic cultural problems than a lack of knowledge or talent or skills. Bringing in foreigners doesn't fix those issues, especially not when there are countless foreign born and educated locals willing to work for less who speak the language and know the cultural.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GoutPatrol posted:

The rules on that are supposed to be changing in the next 3-4 years though. Many schools are scrambling. I can't remember exactly when the "international" schools are only going to be able to use people with international certs, but its going to happen. My school hasn't hired anyone without one the past 2 years.

Good to know. I still have a buddy working at a school in Hsinchu, dunno if there's been any trouble for him

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty easy to hit the pay ceiling when it comes to teaching though. Unless you move up to department head or principal you are more less the same 20 years down the line.

Then again English teaching is a mobile skill set across the developing world for now.

If you work for an ibank or whatever then pay wise it's global pay.

That's why everyone hates bankers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
My firms Taipei office is super small though. Gonna have to drop by at some point and get some face recognition though.