Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Fallout 4 is about replicants but there is no subtlety on any level because it's Fallout loving 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how Kingdom Hearts II's three hour intro says "Nobodies have emotions and are people" and the entire rest of the game is Sora and his Disney friends systemically hunting down and killing Nobodies because they don't have emotions and therefore must not actually be people.

I mean that unironically. It's a weirdass game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sure Cyberpunk 2077 will deal heavily in these themes when it never comes out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They were lied to about not having emotions and I don't think Sora kills any one who didn't try and kill him first.

None of them died anyway :ssh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Fallout 4 is about replicants but there is no subtlety on any level because it's Fallout loving 4.

the dlc with those bunch of rundown lovely robots with human brains in them sadly recreating their posh rich lifestyle was good, imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I like how Kingdom Hearts II's three hour intro says "Nobodies have emotions and are people" and the entire rest of the game is Sora and his Disney friends systemically hunting down and killing Nobodies because they don't have emotions and therefore must not actually be people.

I mean that unironically. It's a weirdass game.

Plus the whole plot of the bad guys could be summed up as we wanna be people too and have emotions

and then in a later game, the 3ds one, I guess it turned out they really DID have emotions the whole time and were getting hearts but whoops or something like that.

Then for the ds game 365/2 they had the whole reveal with here is the 14th member of org 13, she is a "replica", aka a genderswapped clone of sora, she is growing and trying to learn what it is like to be human, oh also her looks are entirely based on your perspective so some people see her as a black-haired girl, some see her as just a hooded figure, and others see her as completely different, and she has no idea who the gently caress or what the gently caress she is even supposed to be

KH plots are so bad after the first game hahah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're good actually

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kingdom Hearts II is the game that establishes they had emotions the whole time. The 3DS game just spells it out.

Also

Sakurazuka posted:

They're good actually

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
A Roger Rabbit world in Kingdom Hearts 3 where the thematic plot for the level is whether or not Toon hearts are real.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'm already half-Xehanort!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They're fun to play. I just said it was the plots that are bad because nomura can never just have anything stay simple and clean, he's gotta go back and overclarify every single element to the story to the point that he is more or less retconning his previous games to tie everything together. It's similar to what George Lucas did with the prequels.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A Roger Rabbit world in Kingdom Hearts 3 where the thematic plot for the level is whether or not Toon hearts are real.
If a guy dressed as a wizard and spoke in a deep enough baritone told him to, Sora would totally team up with Judge Doom and melt that shoe guy in acid.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

They're fun to play. I just said it was the plots that are bad because nomura can never just have anything stay simple and clean, he's gotta go back and overclarify every single element to the story to the point that he is more or less retconning his previous games to tie everything together. It's similar to what George Lucas did with the prequels.

His current direction is more like "scrap everything and tie it all to the mobile game instead" though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kingdom hearts...... "the series i have absolutely 0 interest in"......

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
KH1: Keyblades are very important, only those with great hearts and great power can wield one, there aren't a lot of people around capable of wielding the keyblade
KH3: Everyone gets a keyblade

:v:

I'm having trouble thinking of another franchise with a story as crazy and dumb as KH's.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been meaning to play Nier Automata for ages, ever since the demo. It just got bumped all the way up the list, thank you. Witcher 3 I am waiting until I have the time to dedicate to it. I feel like it might be one of those games that requires my undivided attention and I do not want to disservice it.

As for that LOCALHOST page, I will be giving that a trial later today :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

FirstAidKite posted:

KH1: Keyblades are very important, only those with great hearts and great power can wield one, there aren't a lot of people around capable of wielding the keyblade

I'm having trouble thinking of another franchise with a story as crazy and dumb as KH's.

I played Xenosaga so this isn't even registering with me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I played Xenosaga so this isn't even registering with me.

Did xenosaga 2 and 3 and the mobile games go back and retcon more or less every major plot point of xenosaga 1 :P

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

These things aren't contradictory?

Like even in KH1 there are multiple different characters running around onscreen with the darn things by the end of the game.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 9, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think at one point in XS3 they blow up half the universe, like the entire thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

These things aren't contradictory?

I didn't say it was contradictory.

It just devalues it a bit if everyone and their mother is getting one imo.

e: it'd be like if almost everyone was able to lift Thor's hammer or pull the sword from the stone

e2 final mix:

Raxivace posted:

Like even in KH1 there are multiple different characters running around onscreen with the darn things by the end of the game.

Only 3, and one of them wasn't a real keyblade in the sense that Riku's blade didn't serve the same purpose as the other keyblades, while Mickey and Sora had them. Then there was that deep dive/another side another story poo poo where it was just 2 more characters which one was just Riku but older. Nowhere near as silly as it gets later on imo.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 9, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

It's funny to me that 0.2 still makes it seem important for Mickey to get the second Kingdom Key when he already has a keyblade and so does everyone around him.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
KH1 is still my favorite KH game
That game has a certain charm to it that the other ones don't have anymore

*I still like the other KH games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sefal posted:

Basically, :same:

Man, imagine if the original idea for the KH got through though, back when it was about Sora as a lion-boy wielding a chainsaw.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i wanna live in the timeline where xenosaga 2 was good instead of trash

thats gotta be my personal greatest gaming disappointment of all time

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What's the general take on Astroneer? Watched a few vids, seems interesting, but not sure if it holds up well.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Sefal posted:

I love how concise it is. It's just a Disney romp with a weirdo original villain at the end. The gameplay is full of that early PS2-era jank though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

babypolis posted:

i wanna live in the timeline where xenosaga 2 was good instead of trash

thats gotta be my personal greatest gaming disappointment of all time

God, the fights in that game were such a slog to get through. Double techs weren't worth the time and effort it took to do them and the skill progression was annoying as well. I remember KOS-MOS getting stuck at a point where she couldn't progress anymore for whatever reason until I could get out of the dungeon I was currently in, but I couldn't leave the dungeon until I completed it and the enemies weren't necessarily hard but they were tedious to fight. It was the dungeon that changed seasons as you went through it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Metal Gear.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Nowhere near as silly as it gets later on imo.
So let me understand your position here- when there were only five keyblades in KH1 you were cool with it, but as soon as number six popped up on screen in a later game you raised an eyebrow.

Idk man it seems like from the beginning the point was that it wasn't Thor's Hammer or whatever, that only more and more would continue to pop up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this sums up most of my problems with Ruiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpBKCYzHZQ

Here I fight a boss that I've already fought like 3 loving times already through the game. It's tedious and has a pretty much 1-shot kill, requiring you go into the menu, fiddle with your respecs, and use the shield. It is borderline impossible to beat this dumb "boss" without it.

I have to respec yet again for the next boss, who has a pattern that is braindead and also has an almost 1-hit KO with a really lovely AOE lingering blast. It's not fun or engaging, it's just tedious. Then of course the moronic AI gets stuck so I take advantage to end the fight quickly.

Almost all the boss fights are bullet sponges and require a very specific skillset, making the skill system a slog to utilize properly. I found myself consistently needing to respec my poo poo, and until you get into a fight, you have no idea what the gently caress you need. I once wandered into an arena thinking my mindjack ability would be put to use, but found out "whoops it's 4 turrets, you can't hack these things, wish I had Shield on but now I'm gonna get hosed."

On top of that, almost all encounters in all the environments look and feel like the same poo poo. The only difference as you go onward is the health of minions or their lovely abilities i.e. to loving vanish (not teleport or teledash, just loving vanish and reappear). Sometimes there was an energy drain thing or maybe landmines but for the most part, I'm in what I assume is the final area and I'm burned out on the formula already.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
On the Ys 8 front, got the true ending last night, and did the bonus bonus dungeon. Now I just gotta finish its final boss and/or the grind to level 99 so I can do another reset so I can get my nightmare run ready so I can get the plat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Me, the sphinx: what is kingdom hearts

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Okay yeah that works

Raxivace posted:

So let me understand your position here- when there were only five keyblades in KH1 you were cool with it, but as soon as number six popped up on screen in a later game you raised an eyebrow.

Idk man it seems like from the beginning the point was that it wasn't Thor's Hammer or whatever, that only more and more would continue to pop up.

KH1 had 2 keyblades and Riku's not-keyblade, the special thing had Riku using a keyblade (which he did in the main game anyway when he stole it from Sora) and another hidden character using it (who turned out to be able to use it because of their relation to Sora, but at the time nobody knew that).

Chain of Memories didn't introduce anybody new, then KH2 came along and you had roxas, kairi, and that teaser for BBS, and by BBS you learned that there was straight up just an academy for people to go to to learn to wield keyblades.

It definitely wasn't just "oh we incremented from 5 to 6 and that's bad," it was an exponentially rising thing to the point that (DDD Spoilers)hey guys Axel is back and gets his own keyblade and it's just like "well okay then I guess"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

God, the fights in that game were such a slog to get through. Double techs weren't worth the time and effort it took to do them and the skill progression was annoying as well. I remember KOS-MOS getting stuck at a point where she couldn't progress anymore for whatever reason until I could get out of the dungeon I was currently in, but I couldn't leave the dungeon until I completed it and the enemies weren't necessarily hard but they were tedious to fight. It was the dungeon that changed seasons as you went through it.

yeah and for some reason every fight would take like 15 mins at the very least. just awful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2 and BBS are the best Kingdom Hearts games.
Nomura is a huge Star Wars fan and Keyblades are basically lightsabers, they're a big deal in the first movie/game then it turns out a bunch of people had them in the past and don't really matter as much as the person using them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it's funny that nomura went to tokyo disney, had sea salt ice cream, liked it so much he had to include it in the kingdom hearts games as a sign of which characters are good. You know that deep down they're good if they like sea salt ice cream.

It reminds me of how nomura saw the les mis movie and wanted to change ff15 into a musical but the staff actually put their foot down on that one because it had already been delayed and in development for so long

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

metal gear is crazy + dumb, if you have a peon's brain

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

On the Ys 8 front, got the true ending last night, and did the bonus bonus dungeon. Now I just gotta finish its final boss and/or the grind to level 99 so I can do another reset so I can get my nightmare run ready so I can get the plat.

Oh poo poo there's multiple endings? I got to credits and just assumed I was done, I've got some poo poo to check out whenever I pick up the console version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[the most poignant, moving stories in modern media] hey, how many drugs was this kojima guy ON !!

• Locked thread