Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Mordaedil posted:

A very big bomb actually. Guns never mattered.

Lack of bombs. At the end of WWII we were the only major industrial power that hadn't had a significant portion of its industrial and commercial infrastructure bombed into rubble, then bombed until the rubble bounced.

Incidentally this is why the Boomers were so economically successful, the greatest generation left them with the biggest competitive advantage imaginable. Not that most of them will admit that it was anything other than their gumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Still no clue on why the Las Vegas Shooter did what they did.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

To pluck one approach which I have always suspected would help: in some countries ownership of "hobbyist" guns (such as handguns which are not reasonably useful for e.g. hunting) has to be tied to a membership to, and participation in, a gun club (e.g. for actual sport). That is, you need to demonstrate that you are in fact an active hobbyist in a social context. I always suspected that this would help in the US, and is not entirely impractical in the long run. The NRA, and a lot of hobbyists, may be persuaded by it putting a lot of importance in what they themselves do, and forcing the ownership to be in a social context would get rid of a lot of the lone wolf madman shootings, and likely also foster more respect for handling and storing guns etc.

Great idea. We could call such societies "well-regulated militias."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Hollismason posted:

However, it's clear he was a huge rear end in a top hat out of touch with reality ("if you're not comped rooms, you wouldn't understand" "no a million dollars isn't a lot of money") so at least it's clear he wasn't a nice guy before this.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Captain Theron posted:

God America is broken. How did you guys become a super power again?

Vast untapped natural resources.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Withnail posted:

Vast untapped natural resources.

i mean i guess slaves are natural resources in a way. :chloe:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

He couldn't get szechuan sauce

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mkultra419 posted:

Lack of bombs. At the end of WWII we were the only major industrial power that hadn't had a significant portion of its industrial and commercial infrastructure bombed into rubble, then bombed until the rubble bounced.

Incidentally this is why the Boomers were so economically successful, the greatest generation left them with the biggest competitive advantage imaginable. Not that most of them will admit that it was anything other than their gumption.

Yeah, the 'good old days' never should have happened. We were punching above our weight in menial factory jobs for decades before the rest of the world recovered enough to start competing again. Which in this case was right around 1980.

empty whippet box posted:

Why? They say this when they've done almost nothing on any issue. Why would they ever stop?

It's one thing to lie about legislative success. Trump supporters don't know the difference between Executive Orders and how bills become laws or why a Republican controlled government can't get poo poo done. They do see this nearly endless stream of firings and resignations and have to wonder why the 'best people' can't seem to hold a job more than six months. And yeah, this is a lot of wishful thinking, but there is a point where this poo poo starts mattering. We just haven't found it yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

I'm still fairly confident he was

1) Significantly mentally ill and undiagnosed and untreated (possibly psychopathy, given the father on the 10 most wanted list; definitely suicidal to some degree)

2) A long term professional gambler (this we know) who recently experienced significant losses or was facing the collapse of his lifestyle

3) decided to go out with a bang and/or take revenge on Las Vegas for "ruining" him and no longer giving him what he "deserved."

In other words, rich entitled privileged prick (who also has severe untreated MH issues) faces a loss of privilege and status and that prompts him into a suicide-by-cop tantrum.

I haven't seen anything yet that conflicted with that story. At first I thought "wife left him" was going to be part of it too, but apparently she was sent away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i still dunno how he thought he had a snowball's chance in hell of escaping.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Does anyone know what paper is the base paper they were talking about in this article? I looked up the authors and found the transphobia paper (which I want to read later), but the only other hits I could find easily were other studies they worked on that didn't sound like the main topic that was talked about here.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

As time drags on and it becomes less and less likely that there will be a clearly defined motive, I find myself worried that it might be indicative of a escalation in our violence culture that is only going to grow worse. In the past, mass shootings have always had a motive attributed to them, and however flimsy those motivations might have been at times, they at least served to contextualize the tragedy in some way. Extremism, racism, jealousy, a desire for infamy... however terrible those motivations were, they could at least act as lessons in how to prevent further tragedies from occurring. But with Vegas, with the sheer randomness of it, it worries me that a new standard had been set, one that others will follow suit with. This is a very angry time for a very angry country. I think that anger, an abstract, all-encompassing anger, will become motivation enough for some. And there's no warning signs for it because it's so deep-seeded and pervasive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/917341511754436609

Early start today. He's practicing his red button pressing.
I swear he tweeted this over the weekend. He's reusing tweets now?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fart City posted:

As time drags on and it becomes less and less likely that there will be a clearly defined motive, I find myself worried that it might be indicative of a escalation in our violence culture that is only going to grow worse. In the past, mass shootings have always had a motive attributed to them, and however flimsy those motivations might have been at times, they at least served to contextualize the tragedy in some way. Extremism, racism, jealousy, a desire for infamy... however terrible those motivations were, they could at least act as lessons in how to prevent further tragedies from occurring. But with Vegas, with the sheer randomness of it, it worries me that a new standard had been set, one that others will follow suit with. This is a very angry time for a very angry country. I think that anger, an abstract, all-encompassing anger, will become motivation enough for some. And there's no warning signs for it because it's so deep-seeded and pervasive.

we are living in one of the least violent times of the past half century.

we never got a motive for sandy hook either.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Josh Lyman posted:

I swear he tweeted this over the weekend. He's reusing tweets now?

One of the telltale signs of dementia is repetitive statements. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Someone on Imgur did the whole "cars kill more people" on me so I refuted with "so you agree with better regulations on traffic and cars as well?" and I haven't gotten a reply yet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This new FiveThirtyEight article is making my head spin.

quote:

A recent CBS/YouGov poll of over 1,300 respondents asked people — regardless of whether they agreed with the protests — what NFL players were trying to do by kneeling during the national anthem. A large majority (73 percent) of respondents said the players were trying to call attention to racism, and 69 percent said players were calling attention to police violence. But 40 percent said the protests were trying to disrespect the flag, while 33 percent said the goal was to disrespect the military.

These numbers mean that there are people who think the kneeling is both about calling attention to racism AND disrespecting the military. How the hell do you come to that conclusion? At least a few people said "All of the above." and decided it's both about disrespect AND protesting violence. :psypop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Someone on Imgur did the whole "cars kill more people" on me so I refuted with "so you agree with better regulations on traffic and cars as well?" and I haven't gotten a reply yet.

the only way that argument would make sense is if millions of people walked around shooting guns randomly down the street all day.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Everyone already knows Stephen Miller is insane but if you want a better picture of just how insane, well strap in.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/917386131188125696

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Groovelord Neato posted:

the only way that argument would make sense is if millions of people walked around shooting guns randomly down the street all day.

Chicago has 2.7 million people.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

KillHour posted:

These numbers mean that there are people who think the kneeling is both about calling attention to racism AND disrespecting the military. How the hell do you come to that conclusion? At least a few people said "All of the above." :psypop:

i'm guessing the people who answered like that think the players are doing it to protest racism but at the same time it's disrespectful to the military to do it. so it's an intent / outcome answer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

They don't have to be for more regulations on anything. You're the one saying a certain amount of death isn't acceptable. However, they're also implying you're not for more regulations on driving, that regulations on driving are somehow mutually exclusive with regulations on guns or that you can't focus on one problem as long as any larger problem also exists. All of those things are stupid, but your rebuttal wasn't very effective.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

botany posted:

i'm guessing the people who answered like that think the players are doing it to protest racism but at the same time it's disrespectful to the military to do it. so it's an intent / outcome answer.

And here I thought the flag represented the United States of America, not the United States military. Silly me.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

These numbers mean that there are people who think the kneeling is both about calling attention to racism AND disrespecting the military. How the hell do you come to that conclusion? At least a few people said "All of the above." and decided it's both about disrespect AND protesting violence. :psypop:

You can agree with the message of the protest but not agree with how it is being done. So you can say yes I think there is racism but I think it should be protested using another method. See?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

botany posted:

But they specifically asked about intent.

quote:

regardless of whether they agreed with the protests — what NFL players were trying to do by kneeling during the national anthem.

How can that many people be illiterate?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phoix posted:

Everyone already knows Stephen Miller is insane but if you want a better picture of just how insane, well strap in.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/917386131188125696

Article doesn't say how he performed, worthless

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

Statistically speaking, a very large percentage of Americans are intellectually incoherent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

there are a not-insignificant number of trump voters who believe that calling attention to racism is disrespecting america and the military because they don't like it when you call attention to racism and what they don't like is an affront to the country

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Patriotism should be illegal. This poo poo makes me want to go burn a flag.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Russian media and online intervention in the 2016 election was greater than previously known.

In addition to the ads on Twitter and Facebook that were previously reported, the WaPo and Google have uncovered additional instances.

All of these ads were either touting Donald Trump, attacking Hillary, or promoting Jill Stein/Bernie Sanders. They were all also geo-targeted at the Midwest, Florida, and Nevada.

The new revelations include:

quote:

- Youtube ads
- Gmail ads
- Direct messaging on Facebook (not just Facebook ads, but accounts and pages sending PMs to accounts that like or follow certain pages)
- Ads on the "DoubleClick" Ad Network
- Certain articles were paid to be posted and reposted on websites that allowed sponsored content without noting where it came from.
- Emails to gmail accounts
- Reddit posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a743fa606d45

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KillHour posted:

But they specifically asked about intent.

How can that many people be illiterate?

I don't see the conflict. Those people think the kneeling is a protest that demonstrates contempt for police and the military. They believe that those kneeling are simultaneously protesting and showing contempt. They believe the protest is contemptuous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm still fairly confident he was

1) Significantly mentally ill and undiagnosed and untreated (possibly psychopathy, given the father on the 10 most wanted list; definitely suicidal to some degree)

2) A long term professional gambler (this we know) who recently experienced significant losses or was facing the collapse of his lifestyle

3) decided to go out with a bang and/or take revenge on Las Vegas for "ruining" him and no longer giving him what he "deserved."

In other words, rich entitled privileged prick (who also has severe untreated MH issues) faces a loss of privilege and status and that prompts him into a suicide-by-cop tantrum.

I haven't seen anything yet that conflicted with that story. At first I thought "wife left him" was going to be part of it too, but apparently she was sent away.
At the same time, he was clean, and likely even with stricter gun regulations, could have still slipped through the cracks based on literally everything people were saying about him outside of him losing at gambling, which happens all the drat time and not everyone goes on rampages because of going broke at the blackjack table. Yeah his father was a supreme dirtbag, but, well, Sins Of The Father and all that. My friend's dad was a horrifying person but that doesn't mean his son was too. From everything I've seen the only sign that he had "serious untreated mental health issues" was that he went and premeditatedly shot up a concert with a shitload of guns, and really that's a wee bit late to detect instability.

Someone like him, likely a psychopath like you said, could probably still get past the checks in the system and get ahold of plenty of heavy weaponry legally. I had a conversation with a gun rights advocate and he did not have a single argument he could make in defense of semiautomatic(at minimum) weaponry being legally obtainable and collected en masse with this as an example, because there is literally zero prior evidence he might do this short of maybe his dad treating him like garbage as a kid, and that's still a stretch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

All protest is contemptuous of SOMETHING. That's what makes it a protest.

I just don't understand how someone can think "They're trying to bring attention to police violence against African Americans and also gently caress are troops" Is a coherent thought.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

there are a not-insignificant number of trump voters who believe that calling attention to racism is disrespecting america and the military because they don't like it when you call attention to racism and what they don't like is an affront to the country

I'm on board with what Kaepernik is doing now, but way back when months ago when he started, I agreed with his message but not the way he was doing it. I just felt that it wasn't well thought out.

Lebron James is someone who I feel is smart about it. He is very political and is never afraid to voice his opinion but he always does it in a smart way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

At the same time, he was clean, and likely even with stricter gun regulations

the guns he used shouldn't be legal. i know that'll never happen i'm just sayin.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm on board with what Kaepernik is doing now, but way back when months ago when he started, I agreed with his message but not the way he was doing it. I just felt that it wasn't well thought out.

the best part about the kneeling thing is he only started kneeling (he was sitting originally) because a green beret told him it'd allow him to protest and show respect for the "flag"/military.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Lebron James is someone who I feel is smart about it. He is very political and is never afraid to voice his opinion but he always does it in a smart way.

I dunno, I think it's pretty smart. He got a lot of attention for the cause, if nothing else. The cops vs. black people thing was already as polarized as could be, so it's not like he's turning anybody off. The protests have higher support than BLM, in any case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The military is one of the least racist institutions in the United States, having been on the forefront of integration. So maybe they equate the flag with the military (like a lot of people) and think it's calling the armynavyairforcemarines racist when we all know whose the real racists are.

it's the Coast Guard

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The military is one of the least racist institutions in the United States, having been on the forefront of integration. So maybe they equate the flag with the military (like a lot of people) and think it's calling the armynavyairforcemarines racist when we all know whose the real racists are.

it's the Coast Guard

All the really lovely people I know joined the [branch] Guard and won't shut up about their "service" and "sacrifice" and how much they "risked their lives" in the "military" (yet they conveniently neglect to mention they were in the Guard) so this checks out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Russian media and online intervention in the 2016 election was greater than previously known.

In addition to the ads on Twitter and Facebook that were previously reported, the WaPo and Google have uncovered additional instances.

All of these ads were either touting Donald Trump, attacking Hillary, or promoting Jill Stein/Bernie Sanders. They were all also geo-targeted at the Midwest, Florida, and Nevada.

The new revelations include:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a743fa606d45
so if democrats sweep the government, what the gently caress is going to happen? This seems tantamount to a declaration of war by sabotaging our democratic election and infiltrating multiple aspects of society to do so, as well as seemingly hacking or otherwise breaking into private governmental systems. I really don't feel like this can be let go with a simple finger-waggling, but what do we do that doesn't simply involve nuking moscow or poloniuming putin?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the guns he used shouldn't be legal. i know that'll never happen i'm just sayin.
I mean I'm with you, hell I think I said upthread that only hunting rifles and shotguns should be legally ownable in the home, for hunting or what-have-you. Handguns should be outlawed, poo poo's what, like 98% of all gun deaths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it owns that right wing media made a sizable portion of the country so stupid we were susceptible to influence by a foreign power.

• Locked thread