Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wine tastings with people who know their poo poo is awesome, to the point where i actually don't really consider it in the same category as other drinking, despite getting drunk off my rear end on the regular by going to such tastings

how would you classify "knowing your poo poo"? this guy definitely told us stuff that i didn't know before or properly understand, which i guess counts

it was also mostly not in English but he kept on occasionally switching to English for my benefit (but i understood the other language) so this was decidedly confusing but i actually got it all. harder to remember stuff in another language tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
god drat ive just missed 2 snipes in a row

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

white port is a gift from god

ive never heard of such a thing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

it might be one of those things they can't actually call port because port is strictly defined and a protected term etc etc but it is definitely a thing and can be pretty tasty

my favorite liquor store does awesome free tastings, one of the best is their yearly port and stout tasting, had some white port at the last one. also got to taste a port from 1967 :eyepop:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

i hadn't either until my boss brought me back a bottle from his trip to Portugal

blew my loving mind.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how would you classify "knowing your poo poo"? this guy definitely told us stuff that i didn't know before or properly understand, which i guess counts

i mean, i am in (affordable and quite good) wine country here myself despite not being hugely knowledgeable on wine. the pattern here tends to be someone intimately familiar with the wines and farm, who is also a huge drunkard, drinking along with you and having extensive discussions on the specific terroir and how the guys owning the next farm over are shitheads. which is *huge* fun, but i suspect that as long as the person can sort of casually throw out smells, tastes, and random facts, which are all plausible, it is a fun experience

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more like #dranksgiving amirite :canada:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

more like #dranksgiving amirite :canada:

i am drinking cranberry wine from muskoka winery

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
we got gifted the new blade runner 2049 whiskey and also the statesman bourbon from the new Kingsmen movie.

the bourbon is actually really nice, the 2049 whiskey is very black label and too peaty for me.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

got that roast cooking tonight boys, gonna get some delicious beer flowing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
love my goses

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that beer has more things in it that aren't beer than it does beer :mad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

reinheitsgebot. it is the law.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it actually isn't the law anymore, not even in bavaria. but it does lead to proper beer

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
current drink status

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it actually isn't the law anymore, not even in bavaria. but it does lead to proper beer

the bavarian reinheitsgebot from 1516 omits yeast, so technically it doesn't lead to beer at all. it is correct in prohibiting wheat as an ingredient, however, because weizen is bad.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
5% seems high for a gose

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

the bavarian reinheitsgebot from 1516 omits yeast, so technically it doesn't lead to beer at all. it is correct in prohibiting wheat as an ingredient, however, because weizen is bad.

well they could have used wild yeast, and not considered it an ingredient? even though i know they didn't

a nice hefeweizen on a hot day is great, maybe not a 6 pack of em though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a resource that is about the different kinds of beers, but from a sense thats actually interesting to drinkers of beer, rather than producers of beer.

like I just read someone said IPA was invented because they needed tons of hops to make the beer last the boat trip from england india. idk if tat is true but thats actually an interesting piece of beer information. i want more of those

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

echinopsis posted:

is there a resource that is about the different kinds of beers, but from a sense thats actually interesting to drinkers of beer, rather than producers of beer.

like I just read someone said IPA was invented because they needed tons of hops to make the beer last the boat trip from england india. idk if tat is true but thats actually an interesting piece of beer information. i want more of those

there is a book called "beer is proof god loves us" that at one point was free for amazon prime subscribers. idk if it still is..

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

i'm medium sure that's not actually true. i used to be really into beer, but i don't remember that much now :saddowns:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kuvo posted:

current drink status

:discourse:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

echinopsis posted:

The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth is a fairly standard recommendation. It is not meant to be read front to back (although you certainly can) but rather flip to whatever section you are currently interested in. It's basically a beer encyclopedia that starts with the history of beer and brewing, then goes through all the different styles of beer with historical anecdotes about specific beers/breweries, then how to enjoy/store/pair beer, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Bible-Jeff-Alworth/dp/0761168117

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

5% seems high for a gose

nah

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kuvo posted:

current drink status

Pro tier single, the distillery is worth a visit if you're ever in Scotland

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

because weizen is bad.
falsch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
currently drinking: tito's vodka

which i think of as "tito santana's vodka" because i am a mental child

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
wild turkey 101 here, since the local shop started carrying it again. what a great bottle for the price

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kenny Logins posted:

wild turkey 101 here, since the local shop started carrying it again. what a great bottle for the price

last time i tried to drink wild turkey, i almost threw up at the smell of it

(because i had drunk something like fifteen shots in rapid succession one time in college, and it did not go well for me)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prefect posted:

(because i had drunk something like fifteen shots in rapid succession one time in college, and it did not go well for me)
101 is much better than the normal stuff but probably not different enough for your purposes

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
balvenie doublewood or booker's tonight, friends?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Glans Dillzig posted:

balvenie doublewood or booker's tonight, friends?
bookers is dope as hell

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kenny Logins posted:

101 is much better than the normal stuff but probably not different enough for your purposes

also on my never-drink-again list: sambuca :barf:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

agreedo. the only interesting thing to do with it is a flaming shot but it's not loving worth it

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

prefect posted:

Same but malibu

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lyon posted:

The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth is a fairly standard recommendation. It is not meant to be read front to back (although you certainly can) but rather flip to whatever section you are currently interested in. It's basically a beer encyclopedia that starts with the history of beer and brewing, then goes through all the different styles of beer with historical anecdotes about specific beers/breweries, then how to enjoy/store/pair beer, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Bible-Jeff-Alworth/dp/0761168117

kindle version is only $1.13, neato

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

prefect posted:

same but Christian Brothers

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

same but all alcohol because it's a scourge

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the tendency to divide the world into good/evil categories, where a good thing can only be good and never do wrong, and an evil thing can never be good and there's zero nuance, is a psychological aberration called "splitting"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

the tendency to divide the world into good/evil categories, where a good thing can only be good and never do wrong, and an evil thing can never be good and there's zero nuance, is a psychological aberration called "splitting"

alternatively, you could call it "manicheanism", which has more syllables :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

look at the big brain on woodhouse!