Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I see Sonic Advance music still sound like a bad case of diarrhea.
It was nice to play the ROM before the game even released in the West back in the day, though. GBA got emulated real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The GBA sound chip tended to give really awful static mush when you didn't design music for it with knowledge of how it worked in mind. And it was a really weird design.

That also meant that ported SNES games always sounded really bad, since the sound systems were very different. And SNES games were half the GBA library.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 8, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Story status: CANON

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The FF Advance ports really suffered for it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

The FF Advance ports really suffered for it.

Story status: CONAN

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Story status: CONAN

Uh. Ok. :shrug:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Genesis didn't do well on GBA too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-g1gKjEY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYs3PYJj-pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-I9Mlnm30

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Spiderdrake posted:

Was the IDW Sonic stuff any good? I saw some news pop up but expected the thread would comment on it.

Or I missed it.

Ian Flynn is still the writer and Heese is at the very least, doing covers.

quote:

IDW Publishing is relaunching the long-running Sonic The Hedgehog comic book title beginning in April 2018 - and it'll be written by a familiar face.

Ian Flynn will be writing IDW's first Sonic the Hedgehog books, and comes as the longest running writer of the character going back to 2006's Sonic the Hedgehog #160 from Archie Comics.

“I’ve been a SEGA kid for life, and Sonic has been my career for over a decade,” said Flynn. “I’m overjoyed to keep running with the little blue hedgehog, and especially excited to be expanding my relationship with IDW at the same time. I can’t wait to show you what I’m made of as we reach for the stars and explore the endless possibilities!”

Descibed as IDW and SEGA of America's first choice, Flynn will launch Sonic The Hedgehog in April with a four-week event drawn by several artists unnamed at this time - although Tyson Heese illustrated IDW's promo for the project.

“Ian has a strong connection with both the character and the fans so there was no hesitation in bringing him on to launch this new Sonic series,” said Sonic the Hedgehog editor Joe Hughes. “Not only is he a great writer, but he genuinely loves these characters. His pitches have been nothing short of amazing and we are very excited to get this out to the Sonic community who have been supportive from day one.”

It is unknown if IDW will continue the numbering of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog title, which is the longest-running game-based comic book ever. IDW has carried on the numbering of some titles it's picked up from other publishers in the past, however.

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/917079770646577152

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Flynn coming back has given me a full blown case of Sonic Mania.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

quote:

I can’t wait to show you what I’m made of as we reach for the stars and explore the endless possibilities!

This line alone gives me the biggest smile on my face

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So if I wanted to read Sonic comics because I'm a crazy person, should I start with the Super Genesis Wave, Flynn's first issue, or be insane and go all the way back to Sonic the Hedgehog #1 for the full ~deep lore~ experience?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was a longtime reader up till 100-something when I was a kid. Sadly, I think most of the fun stuff happens before 30 or so. The specials around then are pretty good too. I read a few after the Genesis reboot, and they're pretty good.

I've been barely paying attention since like 1998, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

someone please stop Ian before he memes again

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/10/08/sonic-nycc-2017-idw-event-qa-info/

quote:

Crossovers were asked. It will be a while. Maybe a year.

Previous writers coming back? “There may or may not be some creators you know and love”.

SEGA does impose certain “restrictions” on the characters, but the comics allow for the freedom to do things they can’t do in the games. Primary job is to “tell the best stories possible”.

The Freedom Fighters returning? “Stay tuned”. They’re aware of the demand, though.

The comics will start completely fresh with issue #1.

“We’re specifically making this world built in a world IDW controls separate from the games”. Aaron is at the event. He added more to say there might be occasional tie-in with a game, but stay tuned.

They made a big deal about the comics being a fresh start with characters and they’re telling brand new stories. It was their answer to multiple questions.

Modern Sonic is the focus. No multiple versions of Sonic running around, including Classic Sonic.

SEGA’s restrictions are not that high. They just want to make sure that they do things properly without jumping the shark.

IDW’s thoughts on Sonic the Comic: “For now, we really want to establish a new Sonic comic. Our focus is on something new and exciting.”

Aaron says that “things happened” on why the Archie era story arc suddenly stopped the way they did, but he says that sometimes these kinds of things happen.

Will IDW have its own Sonic Universe? “We’re taking nothing off the table, but we’re focusing on the brand-new series right now.”

They may create some original characters.

“How many of you would want to see a Sonic Forces comic?” Crowd cheers. “Good to know, we’ll pass that on.”

There was a question about backstory on the characters in Sonic Forces. Aaron’s answer: “wait and see”.

Open to audience reaction: how would original IDW characters factor into the stories? TONS of support for annoying sidekicks.

Creative process for the comics? “Ian has an incredible imagination – he could write these comics forever.”

Apparently Ian had his pitches ready for IDW immediately.

“We can use anything from the games.”

Ken Penders was brought up, asked if he was behind this. Only answer? “I don’t know who that is”.

There will be new artists. Wait and see.

quote:

Ken Penders was brought up, asked if he was behind this. Only answer? “I don’t know who that is”.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I guess there's no chance of MegaDrive being completed under IDW

:smith:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

eh. forge on ahead, I say.

the story was super fun but it wasn't exactly something with a lot of depth to it. It's pretty clear how it was gonna turn out, given the story was deliberately simple.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Keiya posted:

So if I wanted to read Sonic comics because I'm a crazy person, should I start with the Super Genesis Wave, Flynn's first issue, or be insane and go all the way back to Sonic the Hedgehog #1 for the full ~deep lore~ experience?

Full deep lore experience.
It's a rollercoaster.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TFRazorsaw posted:

The only appropriate response.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
WElp, you convinced me, full deep lore it is. Now I just need to find the darn things. A certain individual made sure there's not a nice easy rerelease... in fact I think there's a 70-issue gap in the middle that hasn't seen any release but the original printings.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TFRazorsaw posted:

Creative process for the comics? “Ian has an incredible imagination – he could write these comics forever.”

Apparently Ian had his pitches ready for IDW immediately.

Dude saw the writing on the wall and got his poo poo together for whoever the rights landed with. Smart.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Has anyone linked to GameHut yet? It's a channel by the founder of Traveller's Tales, and it looks like there's going to be a lot of prototype footage of Sonic 3D and Sonic R, including a tape of the original synthesised Sonic 3D soundtrack before it got converted to the Genesis, if he can get permission to post it. There's a few things on there already that y'all should check out.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Keiya posted:

WElp, you convinced me, full deep lore it is. Now I just need to find the darn things. A certain individual made sure there's not a nice easy rerelease... in fact I think there's a 70-issue gap in the middle that hasn't seen any release but the original printings.

You should be able to buy all of them digitally on ComiXology if you don't mind reading them that way.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has anyone linked to GameHut yet? It's a channel by the founder of Traveller's Tales, and it looks like there's going to be a lot of prototype footage of Sonic 3D and Sonic R, including a tape of the original synthesised Sonic 3D soundtrack before it got converted to the Genesis, if he can get permission to post it. There's a few things on there already that y'all should check out.

Yeah I stumbled upon his vids on Youtube and they are quite interesting in what he could achieve on the MedaDrive

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ian Flynn is still the writer and Heese is at the very least, doing covers.

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/917079770646577152

Heard about Heese already but not Flynn. Great news

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Seriously pro click.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

yeah been watching these for a while. Guy has a lot to say about sonic 3d blast

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is going to be an experience; one of my Gaming Goals is 100%ing all the lego games.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Discendo Vox posted:

This is going to be an experience; one of my Gaming Goals is 100%ing all the lego games.

Even Dimensions? Because that sounds... expensive.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic 1 on gba is probably a bad example given how half-assed of a port it was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As evidenced by Stealth's response, creating his own port of Sonic 1 Green Hill to GBA that wasn't poo poo, just to show up Sega.

Say what you will about the Sonic community, but they're hardest working fans out there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh. Missed the note about StC. But seriously good news on Ian's part. Hopefully he'll get to do some great work with the franchise now he's not stuck devoting part of his efforts to putting out Pender's eternal tire fire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Massive spoilers leaked do no watch :siren:

sonic has to kiss your oc at the end

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Where?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Even Dimensions? Because that sounds... expensive.

Not dimensions, Christ, even I have limits.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kurtofan posted:

Good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Four weeks tomorrow; I don't care that it's going to be an overall middling experience, I enjoy liking Sonic, so that's what I'm going to do.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

I certainly wasn't expecting leaks this early. That was totally wild though. I nearly stood up and cheered when your OC goes down on Sonic while Fist Bump plays.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

hosed up but true

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So apparently Forces is 720p, 30 FPS on Switch. Whoof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's called the Switch because you turn 720 degrees and walk away from it