Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fuckin @dril is the the best

https://twitter.com/OliverCarle/status/917103466589282304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Johb Oliver broke down the Confederacy last night. It's all stuff we've discussed a mullion times but now the general public will hear it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You should get a few of these.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Founded in 2001 by mushroom magnate Viliumas Malinauskas,[1]

lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
NRA now saying it opposes banning bump stocks.

Bob Corker says the White House has become an "adult daycare center".

Nothing matters anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FrozenVent posted:

NRA now saying it opposes banning bump stocks.

Bob Corker says the White House has become an "adult daycare center".

Nothing matters anymore.

I've seen tons of facebook posts already about this being a false flag by violent leftists to ban weapons. There were 4-5 different shooters. 10/1 was an inside job.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've seen tons of facebook posts already about this being a false flag by violent leftists to ban weapons. There were 4-5 different shooters. 10/1 was an inside job.

I support legislation that would get assault rifles out of the hands of violent leftists.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Casimir Radon posted:

Johb Oliver broke down the Confederacy last night. It's all stuff we've discussed a mullion times but now the general public will hear it.

hbo show, general public, lol

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Third World Reggin posted:

lotta people subscribe for GoT, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will watch/enjoy jon oliver. at least hes better than the terrible political lineup comedy central has now

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

YouTube is a thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I watched the episode this morning, and usually watch it weekly on youtube anyhow. HBO uploads it and they don't seem to go after the people that upload it regularly either.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FrozenVent posted:

YouTube is a thing.

And he always puts the main story of his show up on YouTube

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

YouTube is a thing.

so are echo chambers

congrats, the hbo show targeting a certain group who may not need convincing just got a video and the rest didn't

I don't know what you expect beyond someone leaving this on a racist persons wall, then the racist person unfriending the other person, and no one changed their minds

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Would be nice if Corker apologized for helping him get elected but alas.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

so are echo chambers

congrats, the hbo show targeting a certain group who may not need convincing just got a video and the rest didn't

I don't know what you expect beyond someone leaving this on a racist persons wall, then the racist person unfriending the other person, and no one changed their minds

true but most people are ignorant idiots and this might educate people and get them more politically motivated

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

true but most people are ignorant idiots and this might educate people and get them more politically motivated

Lol

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

so are echo chambers

I'm not sure what your point is TBH. Is there a video that you think could change those peoples' minds? Or anything whatsoever? Nobody's trying to change the minds of devoted Lost Cause Appreciators, but there are plenty of people who know jack poo poo about history and are willing to listen to any convincing argument.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Not everyone will listen, but some will.

You don't change minds all at once; it's a trickle.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Flikken posted:

And he always puts the main story of his show up on YouTube

Anyone know of a link to a UK friendly version?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

so are echo chambers

No, it's probably not gonna change a bunch of racist idiot's minds, but it might make people who sincerely think "well they say it's about heritage and not hate so it must be!" think twice about it and start to wonder.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

Anyone know of a link to a UK friendly version?

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lotta people subscribe for GoT, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will watch/enjoy jon oliver. at least hes better than the terrible political lineup comedy central has now

The main segments of the show are released for free on YouTube each week.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

so are echo chambers

Yeah why even do anything since no individual action is going to dismantle the Aryan Nation by itself?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

everyone get a look at this guy who still has optimism

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah why even do anything since no individual action is going to dismantle the Aryan Nation by itself?

lol I never said that

my kinda ape posted:

I'm not sure what your point is TBH. Is there a video that you think could change those peoples' minds? Or anything whatsoever? Nobody's trying to change the minds of devoted Lost Cause Appreciators, but there are plenty of people who know jack poo poo about history and are willing to listen to any convincing argument.

if you drew a venn diagram of people that that piece was made for and people who believe the civil war was over states rights, not slavery, then circles wouldn't be overlapping at all

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

if you drew a venn diagram of people that that piece was made for and people who believe the civil war was over states rights, not slavery, then circles wouldn't be overlapping at all

the problem with the second circle of people is that if you showed the information segments on a show that they would watch they would probably dismiss it as liberal BS, political correctness, whatever, creeping into their shows. it feels like hate and distrust just permeates through these people and i dont know how to get through to them

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You can't. Just like there is no way to convince people that 9/11 and sandy hook were not hoaxes. The best thing to do is get out in front and keep more from joining them rather than trying to fix the ones who are already broke brain

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FastestGunAlive posted:

You can't. Just like there is no way to convince people that 9/11 and sandy hook were not hoaxes. The best thing to do is get out in front and keep more from joining them rather than trying to fix the ones who are already broke brain

Pretty much this. Oliver's not trying to convince people who actually buy into the idea that the civil war is about states rights. He's reaching out towards people who genuinely don't know and have no strong opinions in either direction.

I know this mind blowing for some but the vast majority of Americans don't hold strong opinions about why the south seceded or the real causes behind the Civil War.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/917382183727312896

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
One of my right wing coworkers who voted for Trump just posted this to Facebook:

quote:

So let me see if I've got this straight; the Vice President left Last Vegas (where we just had one of the most horrific shootings in history), flew to Indy to watch the 49ers (Colin Kaepernick's former team, the team that has more players kneel than any other team in the NFL) play the colts on Peyton Manning's day, and immediately leaves and flies to California because he's so "offended" by the "disrespect". Which if you have any brains at all you can see he knew players were gonna kneel and knew he was going to leave. And Republicans (who bashed the Obama administration for years for wasting tax payers money) applaud him for wasting OUR money to go to a football game that he never had any intention of staying at? So while our country is dealing with this shooting, trying to rebuild after all these terrible storms, and oh by the way we had another horrible March in Charlottesville the President sends his boy to a football GAME? So he can continue harping on this stupid point? This is insanity!

:gbsmith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
At some point, one has to cave in to logic.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

cowboy elvis posted:

Eeeeeeh.....

See Also: Fox "News".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

cowboy elvis posted:

I think it helps that while Trump himself is somehow immune to criticism, that doesn't necessarily translate to his staff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Eeeeeeh.....

See Also: Fox "News".

Fox News itself is incredibly logical from a business point of view. They spout out dumb talking points that get conservatives fired up and then collect billions in advertising revenue, laughing all the way to the bank. It's similar to the firearms industry using Obama's election to bring in billions from paranoid gun nuts. Is it immoral? Yeah, but it's certainly logical.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Best thing imo is to mock them. An acquaintance of mine is a Sandy Hook truther, so I take every opportunity to gently caress with him. I posted on his wall for his birthday, "Have you considered that your parents are just crisis actors and your birthday is an elaborate hoax? Check out this video to learn more!" and rickrolled him.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Gobbeldygook posted:

Best thing imo is to mock them. An acquaintance of mine is a Sandy Hook truther, so I take every opportunity to gently caress with him. I posted on his wall for his birthday, "Have you considered that your parents are just crisis actors and your birthday is an elaborate hoax? Check out this video to learn more!" and rickrolled him.

Hilarious, tell us more

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lmao. I'm in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gobbeldygook posted:

If only I hadn't unfriended people like that, I too would use this line.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I had Facebook I'd have burned so many bridges by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/917408723672453120

Good to see our special boy is enjoying the federal holiday. He had a really tough weekend.

• Locked thread