Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm going to ruin it for you, one of his eyes is higher than the other. The constant lingering shots made me notice this and it was weird.

Why would you do this to someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I can't say enough good things about the dolby amc theater picture quality, also the movie was fantastic

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm going to ruin it for you, one of his eyes is higher than the other. The constant lingering shots made me notice this and it was weird.

I'd noticed this before but there was one scene in particular, I think it was the small white test room for the second time, where it was super noticeable for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Movie looked good, movie sounded good, movie was great.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

He lived. They don't show him die.
He dies. If the acting doesn't imply it, the music does. Its the same song that played when Roy Batty died

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Go see Blade Runner 2049. Even if you thought the first was "boring" the second is somehow better for a general audience while still being good for original fans? What with the sequel being more colorful, more action, but still has a good story.

I think it's official that Denis Villeneuve is among the top so-many directors living. To have Arrival, 2049, Sicario, and Prisoners in the same ouvre, it's crazy. If the man's next film was a rom-com I'd probably get tickets because it's going to be so amazingly put together even if it's not my bag. That's how I feel about 2049 too- a technical masterpiece, even if it didn't really scratch my itch.

Harrison Ford acted! Haven't seen that in a while.

The Rachel recreation did not work at all for me. She looked like a generic stereotype of a girl from the time. Like Ana de Armas, Sean Young was just too impossibly beautiful. The recreation didn't have that.

A lot of film students are slitting their wrists over the sex-sync scene. Villeneuve did more in one scene than they will ever do in their lives. Christ he is good.

Princess Buttercup didn't work for me as the police chief. It's related to a not-quite-problem I have with the film. Blade Runner had cardboard cutout characters that made them instantly recognizable. Deckard is a cop / noir private eye. His boss is a boss. Rachel is the goil / not quite femme fatale who walks into the office of the private eye. In 2049 the police chief is... a complex character. That's just how Villeneuve directs. It makes the characters less iconic, because you can't instantly assume who they are, they don't feel as familiar. But they are so much more well-rounded. How do you complain about that? I'd almost prefer the movie if Mrs. Underwood would have just been a cigar-chomping stereotype behind a stack of paperwork. She either needed to be a cutout which is easy, or a total 3d character, which she didn't feel like, because I needed little more background. I end up feeling like I get their character more than the first movie, but I still feel totally disconnected from them, which makes sense because the main character isn't human. But isn't he the most human of all? Dun dun dun.

90% of the questions people are raising in thread are from missing or mis-hearing parts of the movie. Which is easy to do because it's long and the sound mix- especially because my theater had the sound turned up way too high- often drowns out dialog. Be warned most pet theories are just missing some dialog.

It doesn't matter if Joi loved K. That's still what she was programmed to do. Just like K was programmed to serve. It doesn't really matter whether he's choosing to serve the resistance, or whether his implanted memories make him serve. All he can do is make peace with where he finds himself. He's still sad about it for a moment, Allegory of the Cave and whatnot, but he makes peace with it in the end. For all we know all Joi models go crazy honestly in love with their people, and maybe they're all well and truly honest about it, because maybe they're all implanted with the memories of a girl who fell in love readily.

It doesn't matter if Deckard is a replicant. Good job Villeneuve. The first movie works best when you're a little uncertain- Deckard could be a replicant, there are hints, but it's also possible he's just having a crisis of character. That's when these movies work. In the second act we can't really tell if K is a replicant- is he this weird child of Deckard? Maybe he's more Replicant than Replicant. Until he isn't. But isn't he?

Great film, even if like Sicario this particular plotline isn't quite my bag I can recognize that the movie is intensely well-made. It's like when you go to the museum and you see the ancient marble sculptures where they somehow managed to sculpt the texture of clothing so that a shawl over a person looks see-through and shear. You're absolutely floored by how amazingly well-crafted it is, even if "random peasant girl staring up and to the right" isn't a life-changing plotline for you personally.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Steve Yun posted:

Rachel has brown eyes in the first movie.

Wallace trots out Rachel.

Deckard: "Her eyes... were green!"

Wallace shoots Rachel.

Did Deckard just gaslight Wallace by lying about Rachel's eye color?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6oplzJuR08

Sean Young has brown eyes, but during the Voight-Kampf test, Rachael is portrayed with green eyes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not enough people praising Dave Bautisita for his fantastic performance.

\/ it doesn’t

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 9, 2017

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Linguica posted:

Blade Runner 2049 fails the Bechdel test

Good.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bottom Liner posted:

He packed better acting in 10 minutes then Hulk Hogan did in all the episodes of Thunder in Paradise combined.

Seriously though, Batista is a good actor.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Who would have thought he would turn out to be a good actor? Like he was funny in Guardians of the Galaxy, but this role was very different from that one and really makes me respect him more as an actor.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Serf posted:

Who would have thought he would turn out to be a good actor? Like he was funny in Guardians of the Galaxy, but this role was very different from that one and really makes me respect him more as an actor.

I had some idiot friends who wanted to go to some restaurant and watch Rasslemania on the big screen. Not even a wrestling fan anymore but it sounded like dumb fun. I got to see Bautista having to fake a match against John Cena where Cena was supposed to win despite Bautista at that point in history looking like he could annihilate Cena with a stray glance. I figured Bautista for the next big actor to come out of wrestling back then. Not that he sold it that well, he was cracking up and hiding the fact that he was laughing during some of the moments that were supposed to be serious. He just had an incredibly physical presence that a director could work into gold.

And he knew who to pick as a role model:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I was real tempted to walk out of this film. V pretty, too long, not as interesting as goons make it out to be.

Serf
May 5, 2011

According to this interview with the writer of 2049 (spoilers obviously), there are no sequels planned.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
K's ringtone was super familiar - anyone know what it was?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That was David Bautista? He really was great.

2049 revolutionized the game of proving someone is super smart by having them read really quickly.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Did anyone else feel like the second half of the movie was much weaker than the first half? The movie was strong enough to stand on its own without Harrison Ford imo

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This movie reminded me a lot of Children of Men both in tone, plot, etc but also my kind of breathless reaction to it.

I haven't had a film linger this deep inside me in a long time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Riptor posted:

K's ringtone was super familiar - anyone know what it was?

It's Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, specifically Peter's refrain.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bautista becoming a serious actor is astounding, and I am so happy with the results. He's never phoned in a performance that I know of even when he was doing bit parts, and he's clearly worked incredibly hard to develop his craft.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think she was just following orders. Clearly she had more autonomy/higher intelligence than other replicants, but I think that was because like Rachel she was of particular interest/use to the creator. Basically, she was a tool of the corporation so she could lie and kill as long as it suited Wallace's directives.

The real twist is that none of them are programmed to follow orders, and the entire arc with K is there to demonstrate this.

What was so upsetting for K when he found the horse wasn't that he was the replicant child and that his life was in danger. What was upsetting was that he had killed who knows how many replicants, insisting that he couldn't do otherwise because of his programming. He caved to his boss when she asked him to hunt the child because he thought he had to. He willingly forgot things because he thought he had to. As soon as he found that horse he realized that he was actually special, an old model replicant, and that he had free will all along.

Then that's subverted again. He was never special. No one is programmed to obey. The fact that the new replicants are "programmed" to obey is literally just a marketing gimmick from the Wallace corporation. They're kept in line by fear and the threat of death just like anyone else. That they're programmed to obey is as much a marketing gimmick for buyers as it is a palliative for the replicants. They can believe that they never had a choice and never explore the alternative.

Luv was aware of this, and said so to the police chief ("I think I'll lie to Wallace and say I killed you in self defense"). She wasn't trapped or forced to obey orders. She did it because she's "the best one", and that gave her life meaning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bottom Liner posted:

He was excellent.

Serf
May 5, 2011

How Darwinian posted:

The real twist is that none of them are programmed to follow orders, and the entire arc with K is there to demonstrate this.

What was so upsetting for K when he found the horse wasn't that he was the replicant child and that his life was in danger. What was upsetting was that he had killed who knows how many replicants, insisting that he couldn't do otherwise because of his programming. He caved to his boss when she asked him to hunt the child because he thought he had to. He willingly forgot things because he thought he had to. As soon as he found that horse he realized that he was actually special, an old model replicant, and that he had free will all along.

Then that's subverted again. He was never special. No one is programmed to obey. The fact that the new replicants are "programmed" to obey is literally just a marketing gimmick from the Wallace corporation. They're kept in line by fear and the threat of death just like anyone else. That they're programmed to obey is as much a marketing gimmick for buyers as it is a palliative for the replicants. They can believe that they never had a choice and never explore the alternative.

Luv was aware of this, and said so to the police chief ("I think I'll lie to Wallace and say I killed you in self defense"). She wasn't trapped or forced to obey orders. She did it because she's "the best one", and that gave her life meaning.

How does this square with the Wallace short where a replicant commits suicide on command.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I love the costuming they did on him too. Those glasses make him so vulnerable looking

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

How Darwinian posted:

Although, I should say that she was trapped, and was forced to obey orders; and so was K. But just in the normal way that any person is. Most replicants deal with that by accepting that they are programmed to do so. She knew that wasn't true, but built her identity around the meaning it gave her instead.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

FYI Bautista is the star of one of the prequel short films as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYH9aGEEGg

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Serf posted:

How does this square with the Wallace short where a replicant commits suicide on command.

I hate Jared Leto in this movie, so I watched two minutes of that short then turned it off, but I just watched it now.

Seem to square, and seems pretty human to me... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

I'm not saying that the replicant killed himself because he was scared of what would happen otherwise. I'm saying "replicants must obey" is made true by belief, not by any programming. And that's what everything in K's story demonstrates.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Is there a list of all the shorts somewhere? I loved the movie but I totally missed out on those because I wasn't following the advertising very closely.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

How Darwinian posted:

I hate Jared Leto in this movie, so I watched two minutes of that short then turned it off, but I just watched it now.

Seem to square, and seems pretty human to me... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

I'm not saying that the replicant killed himself because he was scared of what would happen otherwise. I'm saying "replicants must obey" is made true by belief, not by any programming. And that's what everything in K's story demonstrates.

I think that's one interpretation, and just like "is Deckard a replicant" it works best when there's some insecurity.

Wasn't K implanted with that memory which made him identify with the daughter, thus meaning he was always meant to follow her commands over Wallace?

It doesn't actually matter, because he's made peace with who he is no matter where life takes him- and he is truly alive, because in that moment he dies.

Solkanar512 posted:

Is there a list of all the shorts somewhere? I loved the movie but I totally missed out on those because I wasn't following the advertising very closely.

There's 3 of them and they're all in the recommended videos. There's Bautista, Leto, and the anime.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Just saw it tonight, here are some rushed thoughts which no doubt have already come up.

It appeared to me that K become understandably became more emotional when he believed he was the son, then after having his new identity become colder than before.
Sort of; Trying fit in as an obedient replicant --> believing he was "truly" human -> Stony cold Terminator determination to get the job done. You could really see the struggle in nature between a replicant who get the job done and being a person who feels.

The "Pony Memory" I believe was implanted into a portion of replicants to recruit to the slave rebellion. Those that had the memory were told of the "miracle" and inducted. The prostitutes were initially sent to look into K as a Blade Runner hunting the child, but the one in the apartment recognised the pony, so they approached K to recruit him.

It was mentioned several times that there was some sort of "Black Out" that wiped all of Tyrell's records, so Wallace only had fragments. They knew that Rachel was a replicant who had a child, and that she was involved with a Blade Runner named Deckard, but didn't have any information on him. Wallace asks whether he was designed to Tyrell to approach Rachel or whether he was in love and therefore "Human". I presume that taking him offworld is as much as much about finding out what he is as finding the kid.

The abandoned irradiated city, Las Vegas? I'm not American so can't tell, really evoked a sense of a lost, semi-Egyptian civilisation which I thought was a really good touch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shoehead posted:

Why would you do this to someone?

If I have to suffer this knowledge I'm taking someone with me.

Veib posted:

I'd noticed this before but there was one scene in particular, I think it was the small white test room for the second time, where it was super noticeable for me.

Yup. Dude's still handsome but now it's weird.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Solkanar512 posted:

Go on YouTube and do a search for "Blade Runner _________" where the blank is:

Black Out 2022
Nexus Dawn
Nowhere to Run

You might still see mention of one called "2048," but this was just the early name for Nowhere to Run.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

revwinnebago posted:

I think that's one interpretation, and just like "is Deckard a replicant" it works best when there's some insecurity.

Wasn't K implanted with that memory which made him identify with the daughter, thus meaning he was always meant to follow her commands over Wallace?

It doesn't actually matter, because he's made peace with who he is no matter where life takes him- and he is truly alive, because in that moment he dies.

Yeah I agree.

That also means that the question of free will comes up in multiple threads of the plot. And you don't even need to consistently land on the same side for all of them. For instance, I really think that K had free will, but I don't think that Joi did. K also thought that Joi had free will, but Luv did not ("I hope you enjoyed our product").

So again, if free will is something determined by belief then its projection onto you from others could be just as important. The new replicants are forced to obey because they believe they have no free will, but also because everyone believes this too. Their lack of free will is just a part of the world that they know. And it's largely Joi that encourages K to believe that he has free will (although again, she could just projecting his desires back at him) She either has free will, or makes him aware of his own.

Then to come back to your point, whether K has free will or not is also going to depend on what you project onto him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Go on YouTube and do a search for "Blade Runner _________" where the blank is:

Black Out 2022
Nexus Dawn
Nowhere to Run

You might still see mention of one called "2048," but this was just the early name for Nowhere to Run.

Nowhere To Run also leads directly into the movie, because it's about how Sapper put himself on the radar for K to find.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

How Darwinian posted:

Yeah I agree.

That also means that the question of free will comes up in multiple threads of the plot. And you don't even need to consistently land on the same side for all of them. For instance, I really think that K had free will, but I don't think that Joi did. K also thought that Joi had free will, but Luv did not ("I hope you enjoyed our product").

So again, if free will is something determined by belief then its projection onto you from others could be just as important. The new replicants are forced to obey because they believe they have no free will, but also because everyone believes this too. Their lack of free will is just a part of the world that they know. And it's largely Joi that encourages K to believe that he has free will (although again, she could just projecting his desires back at him) She either has free will, or makes him aware of his own.

Then to come back to your point, whether K has free will or not is also going to depend on what you project onto him.

Perhaps part of Joi's insistence that K had free will, was a way of hoping that she at least be sentient? She is at the bottom of the slave hierarchy and if sentient could identify with being a replicant

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

revwinnebago posted:

FYI Bautista is the star of one of the prequel short films as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYH9aGEEGg

How did I miss all these? I like how they were separate and not shoe horned into the main movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A friend of mine told me Dave Bautista is working really hard on his craft and has been taking little parts in movies just to get around good actors and pick their brains on set.

It's showing, I thought he was great. Whole thing was great, in fact. Not a bad performance in this one.

Loved this movie.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A friend of mine told me Dave Bautista is working really hard on his craft and has been taking little parts in movies just to get around good actors and pick their brains on set.

It's showing, I thought he was great. Whole thing was great, in fact. Not a bad performance in this one.

Loved this movie.

He's one of my new favorites because he's ugly.
I'm ugly. I can relate.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Yak of Wrath posted:

Perhaps part of Joi's insistence that K had free will, was a way of hoping that she at least be sentient? She is at the bottom of the slave hierarchy and if sentient could identify with being a replicant

Big Pink Joi's billboard has a flashing tagline that alternates between saying "whatever you want to see" and "whatever you want to hear". We already know K wants to be special, so it makes sense that she was saying it because that is what he wanted to hear.

Of course there is room to interpret Joi as having legitimate love but the important part is that K's interaction with big pink joi further crushes his sense of being special. Immediately after having his chosen one fantasy crushed he hears the billboard call him "Joe" as a generic term, revealing that the identity he had gained from her was also something artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

QuoProQuid posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6oplzJuR08

Sean Young has brown eyes, but during the Voight-Kampf test, Rachael is portrayed with green eyes.

Is Villeneuve gaslighting us then?

• Locked thread