Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

This. Unless it's been changed very recently they'll scan the system so you can't get the anomaly to wrap it up. You have to race the AI in order to finish it.

Welp, turns out I was incredibly lucky: An ally of mine walloped up that empire and took the entire space around the League-system. I then could go visit his territory and finish the event chain.

An unusual chain of events, but I'll take it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fuligin posted:

This Silicoid empires mod kicks rear end, people should check it out.

quote:

Note: A DMCA Notice of Copyright Infringement has been filed on this item. Valve will review the complaint and reach out to the person who posted this item and provide details and information on the next steps.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Fuligin posted:

This Silicoid empires mod kicks rear end, people should check it out.

Nintendo doesn't want you to create any Gorons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The mod snatched some art from an upcoming free moo remake and the guy making the game nicely asked them not to while filing out the related paperwork. I think it's been resolved and the take down retracted.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ugh its Troika posted:

For some reason AI machine empires seem to almost never build more robots.

They've just figured out the system. They know they get ships at low low prices for essentially no upkeep, so they don't even bother pretending to have an economy (what are they going to do with it anyway? They can't build farms on every tile :v: )

That's just proof that machine empire AI is smarter than non-machine empire AI.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thank you, helpful person!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

They've just figured out the system. They know they get ships at low low prices for essentially no upkeep, so they don't even bother pretending to have an economy (what are they going to do with it anyway? They can't build farms on every tile :v: )

That's just proof that machine empire AI is smarter than non-machine empire AI.

I have to say, it's pretty amusing just how many posters have switched from 'the AI is doing worse than me and therefore is clearly completely braindead' to 'the AI is doing better than me and therefore is clearly massively cheating' since 1.8.

(It's not, it's just better than a whole lot of players when it comes to early expansion and economic priorities now.)

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Those rock people are cool. Wiz please tell us if cool rock people are on the horizon?

I'll settle for cool fish people :coolfish:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The AI is more inconsistent than anything, I can't say I've noticed any change since 1.8 on that front.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

The mod snatched some art from an upcoming free moo remake and the guy making the game nicely asked them not to while filing out the related paperwork. I think it's been resolved and the take down retracted.

I think she said that someone linked her that portrait and asked her to animate it. She replaced it with one she made herself a day or so ago.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are those limitations to the Create Vassal button hard-coded, or do they live in a file somewhere? Cause I really think I want to make vassals as a fanatical purifier. There are even allowances for it in the subjects file (should be kosher if they're the same species as you).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soup du Journey posted:

Are those limitations to the Create Vassal button hard-coded, or do they live in a file somewhere? Cause I really think I want to make vassals as a fanatical purifier. There are even allowances for it in the subjects file (should be kosher if they're the same species as you).

They're scriptable in game rules.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm pretty new to modding, other than a custom solar system and looking over the factions file and breaking out in a cold sweat I don't really know what I'm doing.

What file/line do I need to change to allow multiple mega-structures to be build at the same time? I don't want to build 10 dyson spheres, I just want to be able to say build 2 ringworld segments at once, or work on my dyson sphere at the same time my sentry array is finishing up. If I got the minerals why not? Seems an odd limitation.

And what file/line do I need to change to get rid of the capital check to create vassals? Sometimes I conquer some aliens and I rather have them at arms length as a vassal but they won't let me create a vassal since I don't control their capital, and the "liberate" wargoal no longer allows you to vassalize

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
There is no capital requirement on releasing a vassal except that you can't release your own capital. Not since 1.8.

Megastructure limit should be controllable from the megastructures files.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

There is no capital requirement on releasing a vassal except that you can't release your own capital. Not since 1.8.

Megastructure limit should be controllable from the megastructures files.

Maybe it's because the conquered planets in question were machine dudes? I figured since I could vassalize their whole empire, I could create a vassal out of 3-4 of their planets. Probably a restriction with hive minds, probably said no valid pops to make a vassal out of since all the pops on the planets were flagged for disassembly?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 9, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it's because the conquered planets in question were machine dudes? I figured since I could vassalize their whole empire, I could create a vassal out of 3-4 of their planets. Probably a restriction with hive minds, probably said no valid pops to make a vassal out of since all the pops on the planets were flagged for disassembly?

Yeah, you can't release hive-minded vassals at the moment. I'll probably add that functionality later.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I picked up this game last week on sale, just started playing it basically, about 8 hours in.. getting a feel for it.

Couple questions:
Playing a human xenophobe commonwealth or something.. 2nd race down.
How do I get better influence generation at the start? +2 seems so pitiful and is the bottle neck.
How do I race for more colonies allowed? I hit my 3/3 colonies extremely quick.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I picked up this game last week on sale, just started playing it basically, about 8 hours in.. getting a feel for it.

Couple questions:
How do I get better influence generation at the start? +2 seems so pitiful and is the bottle neck.

Influence generation is always very slow.
You can put colonized worlds into sectors that are AI controlled that don't count against your core world limit. There's also a lot of research tech that increases the max number of core worlds.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Couple questions:

For Influence you can either research tech, please your factions (you should have some factions based round the eight ethic groups popping up around 10+ years into the game, raise their approval to 70+% and they'll give you influence), or you can rival other empires. Since you're a Xenophobe you'll get bonus influence from rivalries.

Colony (and Fleet) caps aren't a hard limit, so you can go over them, at the cost of some energy and influence production. You should in fact go over your colony count, and then create Sectors. This basically means you're handing off part of your Empire to the AI to control them on your behalf.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd still kill and pay all the money for a DLC that expanded vassals. Let me force ethos and government on them, let me create something like a space march. Let me change vassals to tributaries if I want.
When I liberate planets they switch to my ethos, I wish I could do the same when force vassaling someone. Or heck let it just be a wargoal on its own.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Soup du Journey posted:

I like this idea with a fanatic purifier feudal realms playthrough. Kind of a distributed purification committee.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The fastest way to increase the core colony limit early on should be taking the +5 Imperial Prerogative ascension perk from finishing a tradition tree, though I haven't played enough 1.8 to know if that's worthwhile over the other choices.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Mastery Over Nature is still 10 or so Technology unlocks at once and gives a nice bonus (as opposed to a stupidly nice bonus), still think it's de facto best.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does the game decide which AI it wants to spawn based on your race's traits or government? I swear that I see more spiritualists when I am a robot or materialist, but I'm not sure if that is "thing" or just selective memory on my part.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does the game decide which AI it wants to spawn based on your race's traits or government? I swear that I see more spiritualists when I am a robot or materialist, but I'm not sure if that is "thing" or just selective memory on my part.

I hope not. I'd like the chance to see a galaxy that isn't 75% Hegemonic Imperialists.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

No, not really. There's some weight towards trying to create an even distribution of ethics, so your own ethics will be marginally less likely to spawn, but what you're experiencing is mostly just confirmation bias.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm looking through the mega-structures looking for somethings that prevents working on multiple different structures at the same time and not finding it.

I found this section

custom_tooltip = {
fail_text = "requires_no_existing_megastructure"
#NOT = { solar_system = { has_any_megastructure_in_empire = yes } }
NOT = { has_any_megastructure = yes }
}

But these are just for the construction platform and I'm interpreting them as restrictions on placing a mega structure on top of an existing on.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Mastery Over Nature is still 10 or so Technology unlocks at once and gives a nice bonus (as opposed to a stupidly nice bonus), still think it's de facto best.

Yeah. After a few 1.8 games, MoN still reigns supreme for first pick, although there's more of a case for some others now. If terraforming hadn't been nerfed World Shaper would be competitive. Border expansion is a reasonable pick if you're a xenophobe, as it'll probably give you more research in the early game than Tech Ascendancy.

+Core Worlds is a terrible first pick and arguably a terrible pick outright. It would be better as some kind of production buff to your actual core worlds, providing a nice synergy for a tall pacifist playthrough.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aethernet posted:

Yeah. After a few 1.8 games, MoN still reigns supreme for first pick, although there's more of a case for some others now. If terraforming hadn't been nerfed World Shaper would be competitive. Border expansion is a reasonable pick if you're a xenophobe, as it'll probably give you more research in the early game than Tech Ascendancy.

+Core Worlds is a terrible first pick and arguably a terrible pick outright. It would be better as some kind of production buff to your actual core worlds, providing a nice synergy for a tall pacifist playthrough.

How was terraforming nerfed, exactly?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find I'm terraforming more than ever since we can do it to inhabited worlds now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I find I'm terraforming more than ever since we can do it to inhabited worlds now.

I find I have a sadistic pleasure in terraforming as many worlds as possible into machine worlds.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Aethernet posted:

I'm weirdly fond of Consecrated Worlds as a first pick, at least when playing spiritualist.

Imperial Prerogative is super nice if you find yourself conquering large groups of planets at once and needing to micro-manage them. In early/mid game, it makes a nice third pick after the +200 fleet cap from Galactic Force Projection.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wiz posted:

How was terraforming nerfed, exactly?

I suspect they're referring to the removal of several terraforming cost reductions.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

I suspect they're referring to the removal of several terraforming cost reductions.

This is right. Changes to the terraforming resources and alterations to the Prosperity finisher means that World Shaper is less attractive. Admittedly, 1500 energy per planet was silly, but it made WS a genuine alternative to MoN.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Is there any way that you prefer to manage colonies for sectors? Do you build them up to a certain point or does it not matter so you just toss em into a sector immediately if you were planning to do so?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Tobermory posted:

I'm weirdly fond of Consecrated Worlds as a first pick, at least when playing spiritualist.

Imperial Prerogative is super nice if you find yourself conquering large groups of planets at once and needing to micro-manage them. In early/mid game, it makes a nice third pick after the +200 fleet cap from Galactic Force Projection.

You can micromanage planets in sectors now, although I usually just build max defensive armies on conquered worlds and toss them into a sector, as they're normally built up in any case.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

You can micromanage planets in sectors now, although I usually just build max defensive armies on conquered worlds and toss them into a sector, as they're normally built up in any case.

Gotta protect that planet with no capital building and 21 energy plants :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Those rock people are cool. Wiz please tell us if cool rock people are on the horizon?

I'll settle for cool fish people :coolfish:
I'm hoping we see a really weird races expansion at some point, with fish people and rock people and something cool done with fungus and plant people and a bunch of weird start options like tomb worlds and slowly disintegrating ring worlds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I always go science assention perk first personally. I pretty much never take mastery over nature because I can get a lot more tech points from the science than I get from 10 tier one techs (most of which won't even be useful since you won't have those tile blockers for a while, if ever)

Plus you can always start up a tech sharing agreement later to get a pretty big bonus off of those that took it. Just look for those that have a pretty big culture tech lead over you to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Since Terraforming came up, I really think fleshing that out a bit more would be super. Like, one of my favorite sci-fi series is Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. The whole process is actually a radical and epic concept. But in Stellaris it's kind of distilled down to "Get 3000 space bucks and press go".

Just as a concept, having terraforming take slightly longer and have some interactive events (maybe similar to the Primitive Infiltration events) would really give the whole process some more "oomph". Again, this would help flesh out the mid-game drag.

• Locked thread