Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I guess every team is poo poo~

I seriously don't know whats going on, I do well, play as a team, and lost almost every loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

That poo poo happens. Try flipping a coin 100 times and see how many tails you can string together in one run.

The difference in ability between 2500 and 2900 isn't enough change your win rate drastically, so you might be stuck down there until you string together a win streak.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey I know this is maybe not super useful but you mentioned liking to play Winston and Winston is actually a great counter to Widow/Hanzo because one of your jobs as Winston in comp is to jump up to sniper perches and gently caress them up. Practice this in quick play and you'll always have a spot in comp.

I actually find the opposite to be true. If I play Widow in QP, 100% of the time someone goes Winston and spends the entire game jumping on me instead of tanking. In competitive, a Winston is typically a pretty core character that spearheads a dive. The most important thing you can do as a Winston is place your bubble to lock out a Widow. Especially now that Widow has 8s hook, diving the Widow and tunnel visioning is generally a bad idea. (unless the Widow is a hard carry then just murder the heck out of them). I find Widow to actually be best against Winston comps, since a good Rein or a good Orisa will have much better barrier coverage.

I'm generally much more worried about Genji or Pharah as Widow, since they can follow me anywhere, whereas Winston's jump is on a long enough cooldown that I can dodge him for a really long time. D.va is also bad news now since she has so much more burst damage.

Pharah is an odd situation, since Widow counters Pharah if she shoots first, but if Pharah shoots first then Widow is generally in bad shape.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
So I finally hit level 20- 5 more until I can badly play comp!

Been mostly playing Mercy as porting over play style from Medic in TF2 and the fact that nobody seems to want play medic in QuickPlay.

Would like to start learning a second character that will be fun, and useful to a good team. Any suggestions?

bonus- fun story from last night- playing QuickPlay and as we are teaming up, Widowmaker is of course slampicked immediately by someone around their high 20's rank wise. An angry 14-16 year (best guess I had- sounded like the squeaky voiced teen in the Simpsons) immediately starts berating the Widowmaker to switch in voice, as he has a higher rank and is therefore better. Best part is he keeps calling the other player "kid" even though it seems like he himself is fighting a losing battle with puberty. Unsurprisingly, the Widowmaker doesn't switch leading to a match long bitching session over voice. Did he play Hanzo then- of course. Did we then get steamrollered- of course. Did I finally figure out how to mute and report someone- equally of course.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

highmodulus posted:

Would like to start learning a second character that will be fun, and useful to a good team. Any suggestions?

Given your background and requirements: lucio!

Junkrat and DVA are also pretty good and fun right now if you want to get away from support.

The caveat with junkrat is it isn't a transferable skill, and his time in the spotlight is definitely going to dry up soon.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Junkrat is really fun and I think he's super good for learning maps and situational awareness.

The big variation in maps, and in designs WITHIN the maps, really promote being good with a variety of characters. Strongly recommend you learn at least one solo tank like winston and a second support like lucio in addition to whatever other characters you want to pick up. Avoid (at first) supports that require game sense/knowledge like torb, sym, mei, etc. until you start learning what good places for turrets are, how not to wall off your teammates to their deaths, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Can you pop Junkrat's concussion mines while he's throwing them? I think I just did this with Reinhardt's hammer.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Ashcans posted:

Can you pop Junkrat's concussion mines while he's throwing them? I think I just did this with Reinhardt's hammer.

i dont think thats possible. he may have just thrown his second out while the first was still airborne and you coincidentally swung at it. you'd have gotten a notification that you killed it otherwise.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Does deathmatch have its own invisible SR or something? Because while I'm gold in comp, I had a week where I was just ripping DM apart with D.Va, and now I'm almost always matched up with diamond/master/grandmaster players. It's really making the game not fun to play when I am so out of my league.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So, my expectations are fairly coloured by my Orisa playing, but I've been trying to branch out and get more experience so I can play what's needed in a match. And so far I've learned that Winston is loving hard to control, I'm 'the least aggressive D.va' people 'have ever played with', and I feel so very defenseless as a Reinhardt. Or, well, offenseless. Any time the enemy is more than a few feet away, anyway.

I don't really want to be one of those people that locks a single hero (or well two, I do like being Pharah) and refuses to be anything else but I've got slow reflexes and I'm bad at rapidly+accurately aiming for sniping and I'm not sure what else I would like playing if I got in the practice to get good at them (not just tanks, though I kinda prefer support-style play). I've seen a bunch of high-end play videos, but are there any 'here's a baby's guide to how to play this hero' videos/video creators?

On another topic, I had something weird happen in a recent game. I was Rein and used his ult, went through the animation and slammed his hammer down and the cracks shot out across the ground, and then.. nobody in it got stunned and it didn't use up the ult gauge. I wasn't stunned or hacked and didn't die during the casting of it. I died shortly after though.

And in another instance of disappointment, I used Lucio's Sound Barrier to save the team from a D.va nuke in another match (and got the achievement) and -didn't- get potg. :mad:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 10, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Black Pants posted:

So, my expectations are fairly coloured by my Orisa playing, but I've been trying to branch out and get more experience so I can play what's needed in a match. And so far I've learned that Winston is loving hard to control, I'm 'the least aggressive D.va' people 'have ever played with', and I feel so very defenseless as a Reinhardt. Or, well, offenseless. Any time the enemy is more than a few feet away, anyway.

I don't really want to be one of those people that locks a single hero (or well two, I do like being Pharah) and refuses to be anything else but I've got slow reflexes and I'm bad at rapidly+accurately aiming for sniping and I'm not sure what else I would like playing if I got in the practice to get good at them (not just tanks, though I kinda prefer support-style play). I've seen a bunch of high-end play videos, but are there any 'here's a baby's guide to how to play this hero' videos/video creators?

The tryhard thread would probably be able to steer you in the right direction, the OP has a list of streamers but also of various how-to guides. Winston is kind of hard to get the hang of at first but if you're interested in learning how to play him he's worth sticking it out with imo. He's a great hero for practicing positioning and gamesense, when to engage and when to bug out, without also having to worry a lot about aiming in the process. He's also a great quickplay slampick choice because the other team will probably have at least two of Genji, Widowmaker, Hanzo, or Symmetra, and you can make all of them pretty miserable.

Black Pants posted:

On another topic, I had something weird happen in a recent game. I was Rein and used his ult, went through the animation and slammed his hammer down and the cracks shot out across the ground, and then.. nobody in it got stunned and it didn't use up the ult gauge. I wasn't stunned or hacked and didn't die during the casting of it. I died shortly after though.

If I recall correctly this is some sort of server issue, this sort of thing seems to happen to Reinhardt a lot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't know whats happening but I went from 2900 down to 2380 and I have been playing the same. WTF is happening with SR?

You're sucking more. Don't focus or blame losses on your team, or blame it on some SR phenomenon that might be only affecting you. Find areas where you can improve and try to apply those changes in your next match.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Black Pants posted:

And in another instance of disappointment, I used Lucio's Sound Barrier to save the team from a D.va nuke in another match (and got the achievement) and -didn't- get potg. :mad:

Winston and Zarya take a bit of getting used to but are very fun and powerful tanks with decent mobility/range respectively. You don't need precise aiming with any of them and can focus more on your gamesense and positioning instead, which is great when you're like me and can't headshot people who are standing still. With Winston your barrier is going to be very short lived compared to Orisa so you basically use it to initiate and make space for your DPSs rather than to protect yourself or your team, if you're in danger you jump back to your supports or towards a healthpack. Zarya doesn't have a barrier but timing her bubbles correctly lets people survive riptires, dva bombs and saves your supports when they're getting ganked. Also she is pretty good at 1v1ing other tanks and some DPS's if you're forced to carry your team, which is very handy.

But yeah, come to the tryhard thread if you want guides and big effortposts to learn how you can suck less at this shooty moba for babies who can't aim.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GimmickMan posted:

Winston and Zarya take a bit of getting used to but are very fun and powerful tanks with decent mobility/range respectively. You don't need precise aiming with any of them

I'm gonna say that Zarya is actually somewhat aim intensive if you want to be good at her. It's not that she needs precision flickshot headshooting skills but her M1 beam greatly benefits from having good target tracking, especially against nimble opponents. The difference between a Zarya who can keep her beam trained on a double jumping Genji or airborne Junkrat and one who can't is pretty big, especially since dealing more damage is crucial for building her ult as quickly as possible. If you want to get good at carrying hard with Zarya then practicing your aim with the beam is a fundamental part of that, in addition to all the other things you need to learn.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Fair enough, I want to ammend my statement to say that she needs tracking rather than flick headshots and that her tracking hitbox is quite generous. It is no tesla cannon but it is still easier to use than most guns in the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I can't aim for poo poo but here I am, GM zarya main. Bubble management and burning down D.va's generally gets me a grav every fight-ish, so whatever, i'll just grav the genji when he blades.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Reaper and Soldier are relatively easy DPS choices, I'd say. Soldier is pretty versatile, making him relatively self-sufficient, and Reaper has a lot of health for a DPS and only barely needs to aim.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Black Pants posted:

I've got slow reflexes and I'm bad at rapidly+accurately aiming for sniping and I'm not sure what else I would like playing if I got in the practice to get good at them (not just tanks, though I kinda prefer support-style play). I've seen a bunch of high-end play videos, but are there any 'here's a baby's guide to how to play this hero' videos/video creators?

Zenyatta might be a good hero to branch out toward. He's sort of a support healer rather than a main healer, so you don't have to do all of the heavy lifting in that category. He's about target prioritization, managing line of sight, and aiming with projectiles, so he probably trains good habits for other characters too. You'd have Pharah, Orisa, and Zen--a healer, a tank, and a dps character, so you could adapt to most teams.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

halloween patch is live on all platforms fyi

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
RIP in peace, login servers.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can someone link the skins since I'm stuck at work all day?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's only one skin that matters

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The Zarya and Ana skins own so hard. I only have gold to buy one, so I guess I just have to hope I get lucky.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Supercar Gautier posted:

I can't believe Zarya finally got a good skin.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cabbit posted:

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

Amazing Zarya and Ana skins out of nowhere

best holiday

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Endless Junkenstein gets insane, I love it. GET READY FOR A SHOCK! GET READY FOR A SHOCK! GET READY FOR A SHOCK!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I have the dance, now to go for the Ultimate Prize.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Great, now I have to learn to play Zarya, something I was planning on doing anyway. Thanks a lot Jeff.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
The Zenyatta skin has different letters pop up for meditating. Also the extra limbs he grows in his highlight intro, clap, and transcendence have been turned into tentacles.

Bravo blizz.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Bumper Stickup posted:

The Zenyatta skin has different letters pop up for meditating. Also the extra limbs he grows in his highlight intro, clap, and transcendence have been turned into tentacles.

Bravo blizz.

experience... nothingness :cthulhu:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Why did they get rid of Team Deathmatch to bring back 3v3 elimination... :(

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cabbit posted:

Maybe now people can stop using the incredibly ugly robot skin.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Hell yes, finally some good reasons to spend a fair bit of my 14k savings!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minrad posted:

Why did they get rid of Team Deathmatch to bring back 3v3 elimination... :(

To encourage people to play Junkenstein's Revenge?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Everytime I play zeyatta on payload in OT my game crashes. It's so loving annoying.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The whole streak concept resulting in faster gains or losses is dumb. I get that people don't like losing a ton of points for a loss but W-L-W-W-L-W-W should get you exactly the same amount of points as L-L-W-W-W-W-W, specially in a game where winning or losing is 9 times out of 10 completely out of your hands.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dietrich posted:

The whole streak concept resulting in faster gains or losses is dumb. I get that people don't like losing a ton of points for a loss but W-L-W-W-L-W-W should get you exactly the same amount of points as L-L-W-W-W-W-W, specially in a game where winning or losing is 9 times out of 10 completely out of your hands.

There hasn't been a streak system since season 4ish, I think? So going LLWWWW will generally get you the same amount as WLWWLWW now.

What's dumb is that there's performance-based metrics, which highly rewards low-pickrate heroes and negatively impacts high-pickrate heroes, which is what can cause differences between SR gains and losses.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ages posted:

experience... nothingness :cthulhu:

There's a hidden easter egg too! His "peace and blessings" voiceline becomes Curses and Madness if you use it with the skin. :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Minrad posted:

There's a hidden easter egg too! His "peace and blessings" voiceline becomes Curses and Madness if you use it with the skin. :cthulhu:

"The Iris embraces you" also becomes "the Iris consumes you" and I think there are actually two new ult lines that play at random.

berenzen posted:

There hasn't been a streak system since season 4ish, I think? So going LLWWWW will generally get you the same amount as WLWWLWW now.

There's a streak system, it's just much less aggressive.