Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Moon Monster posted:

Technically it's not gambling because the things you're winning have no monetary value, and also you always "win".

It's actually almost the opposite where the things you get always have some nebulous amount of value. You never get literally nothing from a loot box so you never technically lose, even if you don't always win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

Ah yes, the Kurt Eichenwald defense
That man is an American hero.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

That man is an American hero.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Kawaiirt Eiichiwald episode was an extremely amusing news day

fresh

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm really hoping Curb does a episode based on the Eichenwald incident. The guy already looks like real life George Costanza.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
why don't russian hackers do something useful for once and doxx the lootbox whales so we know who to blame

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

nachos posted:

why don't russian hackers do something useful for once and doxx the lootbox whales so we know who to blame

Lootbox whales are the poor saps taken in by systems built to take advantage of human psychology.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess I should be glad I'm too poor to be a whale

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But not too fat! Hahaha

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah whales tend to be saps who are desperately hoping that they can trade money for happiness, like the dude that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in Project Entropia. Or Star Citizen backers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spending on money on lootboxes is for chumps, what you should be doing is paying over a thousand real world dollars to make Geralt of Rivia's hair flow @ 1440p 60fps.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Buying a CPU is actually a lot like a gacha game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nachos posted:

A lot of the big ones are Saudi princes; they'll regularly drop like 4-5k on some battlefield boxes or whatever, because that's who cares money for them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would much rather pay $75 upfront for a new AAA game with no lootbox/microtransaction bullshit than $60 for a game that's been compromised to shoehorn that poo poo in. Games are getting more expensive to make and inflation happens as always, so I have no problem with paying proportionally more for a new game. I would rather publishers make me pay more for something in ways that doesn't gently caress with the quality of the product itself.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah whales tend to be saps who are desperately hoping that they can trade money for happiness, like the dude that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in Project Entropia. Or Star Citizen backers

There was an interesting claim I saw today that streamers are driving loot box sales. Since being the first to post a video of a feature/weapon/class/whatever for a new game is a big boost, streamers will throw big bucks at loot boxes in the hope of getting to be the one to do that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
95% of all DLC has been trash. The micro transaction money goes to executives and shareholders, not the development team. It's all about nickel and dining the consumer because they think they can shake a few extra bucks out of you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't really get all this "but games can't be made for $60 any more" stuff

most of the best games i've played in the last decade cost $20 or less at release

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this is my fav map pack (it was free and raven down is a good rear end map)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

What if you get a different demon depending on what your dick looks like, sorta like monster rancher but with dicks.

If your dick can summon something OP like Mara, everybody would want your dick

what about people without dicks

i feel this concept may be biased towards a specific branch of the player base

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do Shovel Knights' extra campaigns count as DLC? Because I like those. Though they're also free if you've bought the game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Colonel posted:

what about people without dicks

i feel this concept may be biased towards a specific branch of the player base

There's not as many vagina monsters so I'd recommend boobs, but the male half of the playerbase has those too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What about stuff like Counter Strike where gun skins can be sold for money?

Internet Kraken posted:

This isn't true anymore though cause you can sell these items for real cash now. Its not like you even have to go to shady back channels to do it either. Steam lets you sell items from your inventory for cash which you can use to buy other products on steam with. There is a definite monetary value to all this stuff now.

The government really should step in and regulate it but that's a massive can of worms. Plus when our government can't even keep us from shooting each other in the face this will always be low on the list of concerns.

I'm not trying to say this stuff isn't gambling, that's just how they skirt gambling laws.

Also try telling a 70 year old senator that the ability to add tiger stripes to an imaginary knife is worth hundreds of dollars.

MMF Freeway posted:

It's actually almost the opposite where the things you get always have some nebulous amount of value. You never get literally nothing from a loot box so you never technically lose, even if you don't always win.

Yeah, that's what I mean by "always win". You may have won some piece of poo poo doodad no one would ever actually want, but win it you did.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 9, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't really get all this "but games can't be made for $60 any more" stuff

most of the best games i've played in the last decade cost $20 or less at release

The $60 figure is not a one size fits all figure, but the fact remains that game dev is not a healthy industry and game prices have never been adjusted to match inflation. It's nearly impossible to start a game dev studio anymore and like I said before most studios are one 6 out of 10 away from shutting down or downsizing by double digit percentages.

The race to the bottom that Steam brought on has only hurt this in the long run.

The microtransaction money may not go directly to devs (although there are plenty of places that include such sales in calculating bonuses and such, so even that's not true) but if shareholders aren't happy then devs shut down, that's where the rubber hits the road.

Again, I'm not saying people should like loot boxes, I think quite the opposite. I'd love a more straightforward solution that's more respectful to the consumer.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I think the games industry as a whole should stop focusing on graphical fidelity. They're not going to, but they should.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Olive! posted:

I think the games industry as a whole should stop focusing on graphical fidelity. They're not going to, but they should.

Not that I disagree, but we've already got most of the indie market doing this.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Moon Monster posted:

Not that I disagree, but we've already got most of the indie market doing this.

Yeah, and they don't have to spend millions of dollars making games, and they can be priced lower than $60. A win for everybody.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Olive! posted:

This has been Nintendo's MO for a decade now and it's just lead to a lot of morons thinking they'll go out of business.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Good graphics are really cool, excite the imagination, and are here to stay.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

This has been Nintendo's MO for a decade now and it's just lead to a lot of morons thinking they'll go out of business.

It's kind of funny because Mario Kart 8/BotW are more fun to look at than 99% of the AAA games going for realism

Nintendo's art direction is too good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think photorealistic graphics do the opposite of excite the imagination

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Well, that and its ability to make some utterly baffling decisions.

But really yeah, they're good at remembering that graphical fidelity only needs to be good enough to match art direction.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Good graphics are really cool, excite the imagination, and are here to stay.

And that's great, but I don't think higher resolutions and more polygons = better graphics.

Things like Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, Furi, Slime Rancher all look great!

e: v Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm going for.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 10, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

perhaps

we could have graphics that are classifiable as "good"

without the ceaseless cycle of ever-pricier video hardware and increasingly hellish development cycles

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Hellblade looked incredible and is $30

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I know a fair amount of people were upset with the Smash 4 DLC. Like how much a character would cost and just those characters in particular.

But a Smash 4 without DLC would have been a Smash 4 without Bayonetta and like if your version of Smash doesn't have Bayonetta in it, it's like a lesser version of the game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Photorealistic is an odd thing to call graphics that will probably look quant in ten years. Playing the Dragon’s Dogma port makes me wish Capcom had gone for a more stylised look.

Loot boxes are trash designed to prey on people with problems.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

perhaps

we could have graphics that are classifiable as "good"

without the ceaseless cycle of ever-pricier video hardware and increasingly hellish development cycles

I mean we could but we're not. People oohing and awing over how powerful their hardware is and how much a certain game pushes it has pretty much been with gaming from the beginning and it's not gonna go away because a few gamers don't care about all that. Luckily we're in an environment where there's room for both. It's also not like graphics are the only thing that makes games expensive. Some genres are just gonna be costly to make.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Olive! posted:

And that's great, but I don't think higher resolutions and more polygons = better graphics.

Things like Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, Furi, Slime Rancher all look great!

Nobody thinks those games don't look good, though. A little budget indie game can look awesome and a AAA title can look like muddy brown crap, it all comes down to art direction.

The idea that graphics r stealing are games is kind of misguided though when there are a million other things wrong with the industry besides pushing the visual envelope, and forever console generations have actually resulted in more stagnation at the high end.

Games to me are a hobby and one fun component to that hobby is seeing how high you can crank up the settings and framerates to get the same feeling I did when looking at previews of Quake 3 Arena in Game Informer and thinking "graphics will never get any better."

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

How much money was wasted on doom's multiplayer both from a development and marketing standpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The cinematic requirement to have every single piece of dialogue in a game be fully voiced and animated is probably a huge-rear end budget sink, especially considering that means multiple casts and recording sessions for localization. And I bet most players aren't even paying that much attention or skipping 90% of it

• Locked thread