Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just learned that there is a difference in flavor between the different colors of peppers. I think my palate just might be garbage because despite having tried all the colors, I thought you just picked whatever one would look nicest in what you were cooking.

Idk if it is enough of a difference to care about once they are cooked in a dish. We grow greens and reds and they taste almost exactly the same. I just grab whatever color I think would look best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

The different ripeness peppers suit different things, green peppers are nicer cooked into things and usually bad in salads

Beef in black bean sauce with green pepper is great

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Honesty I bet a really dark chocolate would work ok with sprouts roasted in bacon fat.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Green peppers are bullshit.

Red peppers are bullshit. They are the ketchup of bell peppers, all weirdly sweet and gross. Yellow peppers are just bland red peppers.

Green peppers are where it's at :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love all bell peppers. And many other peppers too. Chilis rellenos are the loving greatest but can look unsightly sometimes.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Just give me an apple with a razor blade in it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Green peppers are bullshit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Enfys posted:

Red peppers are bullshit. They are the ketchup of bell peppers, all weirdly sweet and gross. Yellow peppers are just bland red peppers.

Green peppers are where it's at :colbert:

I like yellow peppers, actually. Red peppers aren't my fave, but they're better than green for a lot of stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I like yellow peppers, actually. Red peppers aren't my fave, but they're better than green for a lot of stuff.

Bell peppers in general can go gently caress themselves. No heat, no flavor, nasty texture, rot quickly.

I'll take avocado over them any day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I failed to get pictures but I was attempting this thing I saw Gordon Ramsay do where you make hash browns in a pan and then crack the eggs on top and the eggs cook into the hash browns. I had the eggs sliding off the side and going everywhere, it was a huge mess. Then I just dumped it all haphazardly on a plate and shoveled it in my mouth so that I didn't have to look at my shame any longer than necessary. Tasted good though!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I failed to get pictures but I was attempting this thing I saw Gordon Ramsay do where you make hash browns in a pan and then crack the eggs on top and the eggs cook into the hash browns. I had the eggs sliding off the side and going everywhere, it was a huge mess. Then I just dumped it all haphazardly on a plate and shoveled it in my mouth so that I didn't have to look at my shame any longer than necessary. Tasted good though!

Meh, I do this all the time

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Don't want to ruin this for you but they are all the same pepper, at different level of ripeness. There are of course varieties that start or end at different colors, but in general it's green->yellow->red as they ripen. They do taste different due to sugar content and other ripeness related things, but they're not different peppers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

Don't want to ruin this for you but they are all the same pepper, at different level of ripeness. There are of course varieties that start or end at different colors, but in general it's green->yellow->red as they ripen. They do taste different due to sugar content and other ripeness related things, but they're not different peppers.

So you acknowledge that the three colors taste different in response to someone saying they like certain colors better than others. Thank you for this very neccesary post.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Bell peppers in general can go gently caress themselves. No heat, no flavor, nasty texture, rot quickly.

I'll take avocado over them any day.
They fruity and crunchy and good

If they're steamed a bit first then yeah, gimme

SLOSifl posted:

See when I learned this it was a genuine WTF moment like how could I not realise that, you sometimes get green ones with yellow bits on because they've been left a bit long

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SLOSifl posted:

:wrong:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

:ironicat:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SLOSifl posted:

I have bell peppers on my table which started green and then went straight to red, and then other similar bell peppers which started white and went to a deep orange.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

This looks amazing and I want it now.

CommonShore posted:

I have bell peppers on my table which started green and then went straight to red, and then other similar bell peppers which started white and went to a deep orange.

My peppers tend to go green to orange. They might go red after that but I almost always eat them when green (because green is best), and by time they go orange they're getting a bit soft anyway.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Sure, they can start at different colors and end up at different colors in some cases, but most store bought bell peppers are all the same pepper. They do taste slightly different, but they're not more akin to eating less or more ripe tomatoes than different things. It just seems strange to have vastly different opinions on very slightly different stages of the same veggie.

Although I have noticed that when I lived in California and Texas, people always said "bell peppers", while here in Pittsburgh it seems that "green pepper" is the only thing you can assume people recognize. Like at when ordering a sandwich, when I say "bell peppers" they always ask "you mean banana peppers?" and I'm like "no, green peppers". Then they'll throw a mix of green, yellow and red bell pepper on there.

Not gonna add another post. You can definitely use cultivars that ripen differently but

http://www.ponderweasel.com/difference-between-red-yellow-green-bell-pepper/ posted:

The two major factors responsible for the difference in a bell pepper’s color is its time of harvesting and degree of ripening. Although it’s true that in most cases a green bell pepper usually matures into a yellow/orange bell pepper and then grows on to gain red color, but this is not always the case. However, it’s a fact that yellow, orange, and red bell peppers are always more ripe than green ones. This is why yellow, orange, and red bell peppers are costlier than green bell peppers, because they require more time in the ground before they can be harvested.
Grocery store peppers are almost always gonna be part of this ripening path. I don't know. If you can't trust ponderweasel than who can you trust?

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it's time we acknowledged that man simply does not understand the inscrutable bell pepper and perhaps never will

The many schools of thought on the subject will never be reconciled in our lifetimes

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There is no green, yellow, red ripening path for those peppers.

You've got one cultivar going green, red and another cultivar going green, yellow. The latter will under no circumstance turn red. The former will at no point be yellow.

It totally is the same species, but a different cultivar.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

ketchup (tomato sauce) pretty much only goes on meat pies and sausage rolls imo

Omurice

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GFimGcYJw

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

Sure, they can start at different colors and end up at different colors in some cases, but most store bought bell peppers are all the same pepper. They do taste slightly different, but they're not more akin to eating less or more ripe tomatoes than different things. It just seems strange to have vastly different opinions on very slightly different stages of the same veggie.

You even acknowledge that they taste different due to different sugar contents, but you remain surprised people have different preferences based on different taste? An unripe banana tastes much different from a ripe banana, which tastes much different from a brown overripe banana. Some people like their bananas almost still green and find the idea of the slightest brown spot to be disgusting, whereas some people love soft mushy bananas. It's not that strange.

Red peppers taste really sweet, so I don't like them. Green peppers taste like a crunchy tart vegetable, so I like them.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

"Pepper" is slang for "dick" in Korean.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Omurice

:colbert:

Looks good, don't get me wrong, but I think ketchup (maybe Australian tomato sauce is a bit different?) is too strong a flavour to compliment the subtle flavour of eggs.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did someone say green peppers?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

EoinCannon posted:

Looks good, don't get me wrong, but I think ketchup (maybe Australian tomato sauce is a bit different?) is too strong a flavour to compliment the subtle flavour of eggs.

Sriracha over omurice is my jam

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Post the stuffedest bell pepper pictures you got before Tiggum wakes up and replies "actually they're capsicums"

I love bell peppers and rice and meat and red sauce and all the usual things that go into stuffed peppers. But I have never been able to see them as anything other than trashcans full of garbage and it kills me because peppers and rice are otherwise life for me.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

zedprime posted:

Post the stuffedest bell pepper pictures you got before Tiggum wakes up and replies "actually they're capsicums"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Close enough.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zedprime posted:

I love bell peppers and rice and meat and red sauce and all the usual things that go into stuffed peppers. But I have never been able to see them as anything other than trashcans full of garbage and it kills me because peppers and rice are otherwise life for me.

Look at mr uppity here what thinks he's better than eating garbage out of a trashcan

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I never figured there'd be a need to stockpile moms. There's a virtually endless supply as far as I can tell.

Anyway, is that tuna in there?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:3:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

I never figured there'd be a need to stockpile moms. There's a virtually endless supply as far as I can tell.

Anyway, is that tuna in there?

Yeah, tuna pepeprs, tomato and avacado of course.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I made a hotdog while I was drunk a few nights ago with sriracha, mayo, baked beans and cheddar cheese and it was the most delicious hot dog I've ever eaten but I feel like recreating it sober wouldn't work

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

some spoopy peppers itt :pirate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

spoopy peppers