Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so which girl did you all pick

I just had to go for Monika, like it wasn't even a choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Really Pants posted:

I picked Sayori for my first route :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Really Pants posted:

Yuri best girl, it's so great to see her gain some confidence in herself!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, Monika really is my favorite of all of them. Everything she does after poo poo goes down only endeared me further towards her. I was kinda turned off by her reveal that she caused the game to go to hell, but her redemption afterwards and especially the song warmed me back up. She's by far the most interesting character in the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Question. Was there ever a .chr file belonging to Sayori?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yes. Look at the debug log, if you haven't yet. I think Renpy calls it traceback.txt.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I have been looking at the local files, and this is actually pretty unnerving to me. I remember there being different files there before.

Also, am I stuck forever after i say yes to Yuri after the first, and then she stabs herself?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

I have been looking at the local files, and this is actually pretty unnerving to me. I remember there being different files there before.

Also, am I stuck forever after i say yes to Yuri after the first, and then she stabs herself?

No. Click skip and wait.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What if i decide to actually delete something in the files?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The game will respond to some, but not others, but if you are thinking about that, you probably are on the right track.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

What if i decide to actually delete something in the files?

During that sequence? I have no idea. A bit later on, well, it'll be obvious if you want to delete something or not.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I was going for Natsuki at first but I too was slowly drawn to Monika as the game went along. I really felt compelled to go along with her shenanigans

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I picked Sayori.

I also pick this as game of the year.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Hang out with Sayori.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I really liked this. The only other visual novel game I've played was "Cat President". I wouldn't have even given this a thought if it wasn't for the warning, which told me it was going to be something different from all the other VN type games.

I've played through all the Act 1 paths. And I tried different paths in Act 2, but it looks like it always pushes you in the same direction (i.e. even if you play to Natsuki in act 2, you will be pushed into Yuri's craziness.) I liked how Sayori's depression played out because it was really true to how depression actually is. Yuri was pretty well portrayed as well, but I'm not sure about Natsuki because I don't really know what her issue was. I got the impression from the act 2 bits that maybe her father was abusive, because that is something Monika brings up. I did feel like the realistic portrayal of Sayori's depression was a bit hurt by it being Monika's manipulation. But on a subsequent playthrough it was really obvious when Monika was off manipulating the game.

Defintely worthwhile to play for free, and if you like it you can pay the devs with the DLC pack of music and wallpapers, even if you won't use them.

My only regret is that aparently now Steam has decided that this is a new path in my life and it is just going to suggest visual novels to me forever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the only other super anime visual novel i have ever played was We Know The Devil

are there any other games like that but not too lengthy. House of Fate Morgana seem huge

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I can't help think that some of the more glitchy or surreal/altered images would make for good avatars. Then it'd be like there's a real book club on the forums! :)

... :gonk:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thanks to everyone who suggested Kindred Spirits. It's like a balm for my battered heart after this game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Interesting topic was brought up in the horror games thread: how important is the game's aesthetic? Personally, I'm not a fan of the bishoujo art style (i.e. the dating sim art style), and I think the game would be just as impactful if it had something less cliche.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I feel like it's pretty important, given the game is playing with a lot of dating sim tropes, and if you make it look like something other than a dating sim then it loses a lot of cohesiveness

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I also think things like the crazy eyes wouldn't work so well in another art style. It's not a style I like much but it was the right choice here.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

il_cornuto posted:

It's not a style I like much but it was the right choice here.

This is how I feel about it. Considering the story is about a sentient VN character (poorly) trying to remove all obstacles on her way to securing the protagonist, I don't know what other art style would be used.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough. I was mostly worried people wouldn't give it a chance over that.

This feels like one of those games that just isn't completely resolved without some modification and extension, at least for me. I wonder if this is intentional or if I'm just projecting onto the game. Either way, I'm gonna try and mod it, even if what I make ends up sucking v:v:v

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really glad people enjoyed the game. I felt like I had to post about it in the steam thread immediately because of just how much it hit me. I finished it on Friday, and then I spent all of Saturday loving miserable. So unexpected for what was ultimately just me being bored and deciding to look through the Steam New Releases.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Really enjoyed this, especially the meta-activities, such as when Monika calls you by your windows userid and such. Can't believe the dev didn't think of getting a steam account to friend you at the end of Act 3: a "Monica has added you to their friends list" popup really would have underscored the narrative well - perhaps even some markov chain responses if you accepted would have been good.

e: extended :)

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 10, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tight aspirations posted:

Really enjoyed this, especially the meta-activities, such as when Monika calls you by your windows userid and such. Can't believe the dev didn't think of getting a steam account to friend you at the end of Act 3: a "Monica has added you to their friends list" popup really would have underscored the narrative well - perhaps even some markov chain responses if you accepted would have been good.

Might want to extend your spoiler there, but man that'd be real loving cool - no idea how it'd fit in narratively, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Might want to extend your spoiler there, but man that'd be real loving cool - no idea how it'd fit in narratively, though.

Monika has an actual twitter account that she asks you to follow, so you could probably just fit it into one of her Monika Land Monologues.

Speaking of the twitter account, it has some weiiiiiird fuckin implications just by existing if it's not just supposed to be an easter egg.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dmboogie posted:

Monika has an actual twitter account that she asks you to follow, so you could probably just fit it into one of her Monika Land Monologues.

Speaking of the twitter account, it has some weiiiiiird fuckin implications just by existing if it’s not just supposed to be an easter egg.

Yeah, but isn't she deleted (though not completely gone) by the end of act 3? Kind of an odd time to friend someone on Steam. Maybe at the beginning of act 3, or at the very end?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, but isn't she deleted (though not completely gone) by the end of act 3? Kind of an odd time to friend someone on Steam. Maybe at the beginning of act 3, or at the very end?

You can delete her from the game, but don't you download the game from steam itself? Maybe she has a presence on the master servers still.

There's one point where Natsuki suggests that Monika should have picked a cephalopod due to her name, but Monika says her name isn't pronounced like that and it wouldn't work in translation anyway. Is this just poking fun at other VN/ translation tropes or is it a joke that just sailed over my head? I've never played a VN before.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

There's one point where Natsuki suggests that Monika should have picked a cephalopod due to her name, but Monika says her name isn't pronounced like that and it wouldn't work in translation anyway. Is this just poking fun at other VN/ translation tropes or is it a joke that just sailed over my head? I've never played a VN before.

It's basically just poking fun at the game (ostensibly) being set in Japan, but with all English dialogue.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I played through it all, enjoyed it once things started happening, had to push myself through the first act though because it really did feel like it was just dragging along and I ended up just looking at what the game's deal was, spoiling myself on stuff as a way to keep me going forward because I know if I didn't know what was coming up then I probably wasn't going to make it through act 1. It just feels like such a huge slog.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can delete her from the game, but don't you download the game from steam itself? Maybe she has a presence on the master servers still.

It's also a bit of foreshadowing about how Monika knows she's stuck in a game.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

This is a part-meta joke, because "ika" in Japanese is squid, but of course, you're playing the game in English. And Monika knows this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the only other super anime visual novel i have ever played was We Know The Devil

are there any other games like that but not too lengthy. House of Fate Morgana seem huge

I wouldn't call We Know The Devil "super anime", but it's definitely super good. If you like the psychological aspects of this game and how it uses the mechanics of visual novels to tell its story, it's a really good pick to move onto after finishing this game.

Man, I really want to make a mod for DDLC. I hope I don't offend the developer by doing so.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

"ika" is the Japanese word for "squid", hence the cephalopod comment. It was a pun that would only work in Japanese, but it involves a non-Japanese name. On top of the foreshadowing Really Pants mentioned, it also hints that the game might not actually be set in japan. It's supposed to make you ask yourself "why would a Japanese person have the name Monica, and why is it spelled like it was a Japanese word?"

Pollyanna posted:

I wouldn't call We Know The Devil "super anime", but it's definitely super good. If you like the psychological aspects of this game and how it uses the mechanics of visual novels to tell its story, it's a really good pick to move onto after finishing this game.

Man, I really want to make a mod for DDLC. I hope I don't offend the developer by doing so.

Have you looked at the wiki, yet? There are a lot of subtle hints that there is more going on in the game files, like encrypted messages, and some Easter eggs. You mentioned before that you feel like the game isn't fully resolved, and those secret messages/links to the dev's next game might be what you are looking for.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tenik posted:

Have you looked at the wiki, yet? There are a lot of subtle hints that there is more going on in the game files, like encrypted messages, and some Easter eggs. You mentioned before that you feel like the game isn't fully resolved, and those secret messages/links to the dev's next game might be what you are looking for.

The contents of the actual character files are such a rabbit hole, I love it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fuuuuuck that noise but good joke on streamers regardless

DDLC is definitely worth a playthrough, especially being a free game and all. It might not be a GOTYC, but for a 3h experience that - again - is FREE, the worst you could do is feeling like you've wasted a couple hours of your life, and I know a lot of people here play MMOs so that's no excuse.

On more specific thoughts about the game, I'm a sucker for post-modernism in videogames. I feel like just recently people have started experimenting with the medium itself, how it forces us to make choices that sometimes aren't choices at all, or how we can go back and fix choices we've regretted. It's why I loved Nier (and Nier Automata) and Stanley Parable, even Undertale kinda fits that mold. So, unlike a lot of you, I didn't mind the game pushing harder on the meta aspects instead of doing a deeper dive into the girls' psyche - although some of the better writing was when Sayori talked about her depression or the small hints towards Natsuki's backstory (I'm not sure how much else you get during her "route", since I just did the one playthrough). I'll say one thing though, I wish they played their cards closer to their chest on the whole "Monika is self-aware" twist. If you played ANYTHING even slightly meta, you could call that happening from...hell, the first Literature Club meeting. She's not subtle AT ALL, and I guess that's kind of the point, but I was THIS close to second-guessing myself during the Sayori situation and probably would've been taken by surprise if they downplayed Monika during the first "route". I was thinking Sayori's thing was that she knew she was on a dating sim but didn't want to be a "route", or was being pressured by Monika to not be one. When they had the depression talk, I thought that maybe they would hold on on the meta stuff or that Monika wasn't really in on being a dating sim character...but that lasted for five minutes or so.

As for the aesthetics of it and how they approached the meta-linguistic angle, it DID succeed in creeping me the gently caress out, but I'm pretty weak to that sorta thing, so YMMV. When Yuri gets her text replaced by Monika for the first time I got literal shivers, and her whole creepy eye thing was also disturbing. You could see the Undertale influence there, by the way, that's some Flowey bullshit and I'm surprised Everdread wasn't behind it. That's another criticism I have, actually: a lot of the fourth wall interactions were stuff I'd seen before in other games. They were well-executed, sure, but not exactly original, and it took a bit outta the impact of the ending. Having to interact with the files was a cool touch, and I actually enjoyed that the game didn't have a legit happy ending. The Club is tainted, the girls are programmed to fall in love with you, knowing they can be the only one fucks everything up. The only solution is to delete it. Considering your main character is actually YOU, a happy ending with a "childhood friend" feels wrong. Yuri and Natsuki being gals bein' pals on their little San Junipero would be cute, I'll give you that.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I'm not sure I want to google this, but is blood fetishisation/ imbibing a common part of cutting culture or was it trying a vampire misdirection angle with Yuri?

I'm not sure if this was coming off playing D:OS, but I was really thinking there was going to be some demon summoning with the heavy emphasis on the dark atmosphere/ scents/ written phrases/ rituals of the festival.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

I'm not sure if this was coming off playing D:OS, but I was really thinking there was going to be some demon summoning with the heavy emphasis on the dark atmosphere/ scents/ written phrases/ rituals of the festival.

I did at first think that Monika had somehow came into contact with an Outsider/Great Old One/Demon and gained power and madness from that due to her first poem being about someone outside looking in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tenik posted:

Way ahead of you - I'm staring at the decompiled code right now. Here's something I found: try reloading from the title screen over and over in the beginning of act 2 after you meet Monika, paying attention to the warning message. Who knows, maybe you'll see something?

Also notice that Monika's poem reading music uses the piano.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 10, 2017

• Locked thread