Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
The game leaves some things open to discussion, that said it wasn't really Morgana curse that was making them do what they did in chapter 1 to 3. It's the fact that they never owned up to what they did and never learned or admitted what they should have done better; and so their souls just repeat the same mistakes over and over again because they haven't changed. It's debatable how much the house drove them to their actions, other than laying all the cards on the table ready for them to ruin themselves again, because that's who they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ohoho the 2nd door's twists got me good. A hell of a door that was, especially compared to the first.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 21, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Door 7. Pretty much right after where I had stopped before the story immediately started picking up in pace which got me back into it...until it slowed down again with the Aimee torture stuff. Frankly that was a little over the top even for Fata Morgana. Like I feel like her character would work like four or five times better if you just cut that all out. It stung so much more to see a person that seemed nice espouse homophobia and so on, instead of whatever that Abu Ghraib poo poo was.

After that segment the rest of Door 7 is fine so oh well. Seeing Michel die the third time really shouldn't have worked as well as it does but dammit they pulled it off!

Meallan posted:

The game leaves some things open to discussion, that said it wasn't really Morgana curse that was making them do what they did in chapter 1 to 3. It's the fact that they never owned up to what they did and never learned or admitted what they should have done better; and so their souls just repeat the same mistakes over and over again because they haven't changed. It's debatable how much the house drove them to their actions, other than laying all the cards on the table ready for them to ruin themselves again, because that's who they are.
I dunno, when literal reincarnation is an explicit plot point its hard for me to believe that we're not supposed to give Morgana's curse the same kind of weight the rest of her magical actions in the story have. The stuff about the three men needing to admit their flaws rings a bit hollow to me when characters do do that to at least some extent (Unless you're referring to their mistakes with how they treated Morgana, and I dunno that I could ever buy into the three men needing to remember their past lives as an idea).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 21, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished The House in Fata Morgana. I thought the ending was pretty solid. The way they brought back the class themes from the earlier parts of the story and structured Door 8's narrative around it was interesting, as Michel climbed each rung of the social ladder to see how they all contributed to what happened to Morgana was a really smart bit of writing IMO.

Morgana herself even got some more needed characterization toward the end. I'm still not entire sure she works (Particularly during Door 6 where a lot of it just reads like a list of bad things that can happen to a person to me instead of a character piece (I'm trying to be spoiler free, but I did read online right that the second game in the series is actually supposed to expand on this portion of the story? It could use it, honestly.)), but it was better.

I liked that Michel and Giselle reunited. I think both characters really worked, and I have to say that when taken in tandem Doors 4 + 5 were the highlight of the game for me.

Oh yeah I don't know that I mentioned it before the score is pretty consistently excellent throughout the game. Like, Umineko-tier good.

Overall despite some narrative choices I wasn't into that I've already I mentioned, I thought this was a pretty good game that I would recommend that people play it if they haven't already.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 25, 2017

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I do think it was Morgana's curse making them reincarnate over and over, and that it was broken because Morgana decided to move on and so allowed everyone to leave the house too. But I thought that the reason they kept going through their mistakes was not because they hadn't admired them or felt sorry for them, but because they were the same people over and over, and so they did the exactly same mistakes and horrible decisions. Of course this is really debatable, but I didn't feel they were compelled to act during those initial chapters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm glad you liked it! Now at least you probably see why I was at least a little bit coy about what would or would not get developed or showcased; the game surprised me over and over again how much it wanted to go into the details and backgrounds to the point by the end it all kind circled back in on itself. So while there is certainly blame to spread around, and the tragedies of course still happened, everyone was able to literally and figuratively move on, even the supposed "villain" of our story. Making The Maid into the character of Giselle and Morgana's whole arc are for me the crowning achievements of the story.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm still plugging away at Door 3 but it hasn't managed to grip me like the other doors did, at least not yet

Selane
May 19, 2006

I just finished the first chapter of Danganronpa 3 and it pretty much blew my loving mind out the back of my skull. Like holy poo poo, the first case of DR3 is on par with the 5th case of DR2, which is a height I thought they'd never reach again. And on top of that, it's amazing from a gameplay perspective too. I'm sure everyone will bitch about every one of the minigames, since that's the cool thing to do, but they all feel great to me.

-Hangman's Gambit is good because it bears no relation to the DR2 version, it's somewhat like the one from DR1, only not super trivial so it's actually fun.
-Even loving Rebuttal Showdown is fun now because you get infinite cuts and have to aim and choose the direction, and can cut multiple lines at once. It's like the mechanic from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, of all things.
-Scrum Debates are fun because of how ridiculously over the top they are.
-V counters add a bit of challenge to Nonstop Debates and are great because they are completely optional, and being able to lie is a great new mechanic.
-Bullet Time Battle Panic Talk Action Argument Armament is the best version yet, and is less annoying yet more engaging.

I'm also impressed at how close to their chest they played everything with the demo...not only was the case in the demo completely made up(though obviously the DR1/DR2 characters weren't going to show up in the actual game), but there are entire major areas of the school that they edited out of the demo. Hell, even the minigames used in the demo don't show up in the first case, I'm surprised at how completely fresh everything about it felt.

Also, buy it because Spike Chunsoft owns. They've been doing a great job of porting all of their best games stranded on portables(999/VLR/DR1/DR2) to PC, and now having a simultaneous Steam release of DR3 alongside the PS4 launch is amazing.

Disclaimer: be advised that even the very beginning of DR3 contains massive spoilers for every other part of the DR franchise

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm still plugging away at Door 3 but it hasn't managed to grip me like the other doors did, at least not yet
It's kind of an old fashioned plot even compared to the rest of the Doors- that might be putting you off of it.

I personally dug it, and also it introduced Ciao Carina which is one of my favorite tracks in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMCU3i6-1c

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 26, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Selane posted:

I just finished the first chapter of Danganronpa 3 and it pretty much blew my loving mind out the back of my skull. Like holy poo poo, the first case of DR3 is on par with the 5th case of DR2, which is a height I thought they'd never reach again. And on top of that, it's amazing from a gameplay perspective too.

I'm definitely going to agree. That case is prolly gonna go in my Top Visual Novel moments

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm definitely going to agree. That case is prolly gonna go in my Top Visual Novel moments

God drat it where is my Vita :argh:

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Aaaaaaaa I'm in Europe and I'm just counting the hours until I can get DR3 and you guys are making me even more excited. Is it that good so far? Are you talking about story? The mechanics of trials? Are the cases really good murder mysteries?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Meallan posted:

Aaaaaaaa I'm in Europe and I'm just counting the hours until I can get DR3 and you guys are making me even more excited. Is it that good so far? Are you talking about story? The mechanics of trials? Are the cases really good murder mysteries?

I've only finished the prologue, but I'm digging the character interactions so far. Some of the characters bounce off each other really well in ways that you don't get to see in the demo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

God drat it where is my Vita :argh:

My wife actually surprised me with a used Vita yesterday! DR3 here I come!

Is there any way to legally stream the anime(?) that comes before the game? Is there anything I should know plot wise from the action game spinoff?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

don't worry about either, they're both bad and don't have anything to do with v3

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lets hang out posted:

don't worry about either, they're both bad and don't have anything to do with v3

That's a shame. The subtitle of the anime had piqued my interest but honestly Despair Girls looked really awful every time I got the slightest hint of interest.

in other news gently caress my life i just found my original Vita. good: got all my saves n poo poo back. bad: oooooh man the wife is not happy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could use some convincing on DR3. I got into DR1 way late, some time after the LP was finished, which was a period of time close enough to when I had played Umineko and the various Ace Attorney titles that I could just not get over a perceived lack of quality in the mysteries/murders compared to those. They felt extremely shallow and not thought out well, reliant entirely on the pizazz of the trial gameplay segments. The refrain I usually get is that the murders are supposed to be bad and that what you should really care about are the characters, but I suppose none of them really were that interesting for me. This changed slightly in DR2 where one or two caught my interest, but the mysteries and plot were even worse so I hardly call it a net positive.

Since I know 3 is a new continuity I feel like this might be a good chance for a fresh start.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you didn't like 1 and 2 you're not going to like 3.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nate RFB posted:

I could use some convincing on DR3. I got into DR1 way late, some time after the LP was finished, which was a period of time close enough to when I had played Umineko and the various Ace Attorney titles that I could just not get over a perceived lack of quality in the mysteries/murders compared to those. They felt extremely shallow and not thought out well, reliant entirely on the pizazz of the trial gameplay segments. The refrain I usually get is that the murders are supposed to be bad and that what you should really care about are the characters, but I suppose none of them really were that interesting for me. This changed slightly in DR2 where one or two caught my interest, but the mysteries and plot were even worse so I hardly call it a net positive.

Since I know 3 is a new continuity I feel like this might be a good chance for a fresh start.

The mysteries in 3 are much better than 1. I've only done the first 3 cases, but I didn't know the killer at the start for any of them.

I also like the characters better in 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean, there's more to a murder mystery than the basic "I dunno whodunit", to me what is more important is whether solving the mystery to get to that endpoint is satisfying. After all it's plenty easy to come up with some inane, illogical twist at the very end to reveal whodunit (and yea even AA is not immune from this), which means you obviously wouldn't be able to guess who it was ahead of time and also not have that much fun getting there because you basically didn't have a chance to do it on your own. Ace Attorney featured more often than not cases where it was obvious who the culprit was going to be, but getting to those moments was fun and interesting as you dissected the intricacies of each set of circumstances and how everything came together. A good example of this IMO is the final case of the second game, Justice For All.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The mysteries in 3 are better than the first 2 games, and none of them really have any illogical twists at the end. But yeah, if you didn't like 1 and 2, I don't think you will like 3, regardless of the new continuity stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's October 4th...

Let's all take a moment and remember what happened to the Ushiromiya family, 31 years ago today.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sputnik was 1957

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Wait, new continuity?

Also I didn't really like DR1, got through DR2 just because it's really the only game like it, and got 3 because I ended up liking the nosedive into absurdity that 2 took (since the end of the first game was a total asspull). I've just finished the first case, and it is both completely solvable before the trial if you really puzzle it out, but still really good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

It's October 4th...

Let's all take a moment and remember what happened to the Ushiromiya family, 31 years ago today.
F

You know, I never did buy the official account by the authorities. But I have some theories about what really happened, and

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 4, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

You know, I never did buy the official account by the authorities. But I have some theories about what really happened, and
I gotta say this aspect of Umineko's narrative started to make a lot more sense to me once I saw how people reacted to the first season of the Serial podcast and things like that.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The steam release of Little Busters has an official release date now, November 1.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Uh, I think you'll find it's Little Busters!, the exclamation mark is important. :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have a multitude of issues with LB!, but I've kind of looked forward to replaying it when it would get an official release. The reason being that the ME version (presumably what this is) has some extra content, and because back when I played it for the first time my saves got hosed up in between translation patch updates. What this functionally meant is that the usual feature of "skip already read text" didn't really work, which for certain story reasons is a very bad thing to not have in LB!. I've always felt like my initial experience was kind of let down by that not working properly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Are Key games actually good / Where does one start with Key, anyway?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You watch clannad and clannad after story then move on with your life

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Are Key games actually good / Where does one start with Key, anyway?
CLANNAD is, with some caveats, very good. It's still the best thing they've ever done even though it's 13 years old at this point. But yeah the anime is in many/most ways the preferred way to experience it at this point because KyoAni cut out a lot of the fluff from the VN and makes it so you don't have to deal with its obtuse method of unlocking/finishing routes (and it's one of those VNs where you need to get every ending to see the true ending).

I think everything else has its ups and downs but in the end nothing ever was that memorable besides CLANNAD. I was/am looking forward to the Angel Beats VN assuming that ever gets finished and translated on the basis that the anime for that is extremely interesting but hilariously rushed.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I beat Dangan Ronpa V3 and it was good. People who melted down over the ending are big dummies.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Week 2 and my DR3 pre order still hasn't shipped
Been playing Umineko, so I have resisted the urge to spend an extra €60 to get it digitally.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

doki doki literature club

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

doki doki literature club

Seriously. Don't look up any spoilers, just snag it on Steam (for free!) and give it a try. What a ride.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait...what? Really?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Artificer posted:

Wait...what? Really?

the store page has a content warning for a reason

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Honestly it just looks like generic creepypasta with third rate art and third rate writing. I can't argue with the price, but does it actually have anything that makes it worth playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

it isn't fantastic, but the writing's legit solid esp. if you care at all about poetry or writing

it's a pretty good experience that is free and also only a few hours long; which is almost certainly why it's blowing up