Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

me, galaxy-brained woke superbeing: it is imperative to me that the awkward tilda swinton looking guy who reviews fast food on youtube is a marxist at the very least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Sure there are plenty of folks out there with way more influence and do a ton of harm but I shall now attempt to dissect the philosophy of that guy who reviews bottled water.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The guy who crushes things with a hydraulic press refuses to answer my repeated questions in the comments about the direction that the rational skeptic movement has taken. More like Smashy Fashy.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

bald guy who interviews people while feeding them hot sauce covered chicken wings: is your bald head indicative of your support for neo-nazis? i shall assume yes

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Goon Danton posted:

Yeah, and it seems to be based on a screenshot that we can't corroborate.

It wouldn't be the first time 4channers went in with their "Our guy" trolling.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Goon Danton posted:

Yeah, and it seems to be based on a screenshot that we can't corroborate.

Midig posted:

It wouldn't be the first time 4channers went in with their "Our guy" trolling.

That's exactly why I brought it up, I think you probably shouldn't take random photoshops on know your meme at face value, so I tried looking into it and as far as I tried that comment and thread don't exist, anything about his politics was just people speculating and arguing.

Also goddammit Lowtax what are you doing with these giant buttons.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 9, 2017

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Somfin posted:

The codephrase I've found that kicks a lot of guys out of their die-on-this-hill mentality is "I know you're smart, so I know you can understand where I'm coming from." A lot of hard-right rhetoric emphasises how condescending and holier-than-thou the be-nice-to-people crowd can be, and a lot of indoctrinated guys (because it is mostly guys) pick up on that and learn to shut their thinking down when they encounter it. Watch Sargon for a few minutes when he's in full flow and you can hear this point repeated over and over- don't listen to them, don't read them, mock them instead, they want to take away your toys because they think they know better, don't listen. You just have to shift things. These guys are gamers. They're used to, if not addicted to, smashing their faces against problems until they understand the problem and can best it. If you set up "see things from my point of view" as a problem for them to solve- and your relationship is good enough that they want to play along- you better fuckin' believe they'll get there.

That codephrase is great because it pushes that listening and considering your argument is in the listener's interest while being familiar to them. I remember one article said that people rank values differently depending on their politics, so talks of compassion or tradition will fall flat against someone who values freedom the most. I bet a lot of these guys want to be, and be seen as, smart and logical which is why they range from being apolitical to edgy to "I am trying to be rational and see all sides, but the SJWs are so emotional and therefore bad". A lot of these types see being emotional and rational (and thus intelligent) as polar opposites, without answering why that is. Saying that you know that they are already smart and then getting them to try and understand your side to prove their intelligence is clever.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Another thing is that some of these people have a pop culture view of being intelligent, in which the Smart Guy is able to effortlessly defeat the arguments presented by some establishment egghead bureaucrat. Think of it as a mix of being contrarian, winning arguments as being true, and finding things that normal people miss. At least from what I have seen of right-wing people in their late teens to early thirties, they view themselves as rebels against a PC or tradition-bound majority. This is where I can see the leap from rising Youtube star destroying creationist arguments to Youtube mainstay whining about pronouns and academia.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my brother became violently angry when i tried that after he scoffed at my sister talking about white privilege (my brother has gone so off the deep end his fbook cover photo is the county election map and his profile pic is young donald).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnlUv68nvk&t=1846s
My boy Matt D. met Sargon at the Mythcon, he isn't familiar with him or his shittiness so much and its so cathartic to see him completely rip him apart because he's coming from another social place of the internet then me (SA, this thread, my twitter sphere etc) so its nice to know my optics are validated from another angle.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Yardbomb posted:

That's exactly why I brought it up, I think you probably shouldn't take random photoshops on know your meme at face value, so I tried looking into it and as far as I tried that comment and thread don't exist, anything about his politics was just people speculating and arguing.

Also goddammit Lowtax what are you doing with these giant buttons.

These forums only take place 10 years before TOS so he's trying to make the tech appear more inline with that time period.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Groovelord Neato posted:

my brother became violently angry when i tried that after he scoffed at my sister talking about white privilege (my brother has gone so off the deep end his fbook cover photo is the county election map and his profile pic is young donald).

The MAGA crowd isn't really the same kind of group, I think. They definitely don't single out intelligence and ability to understand things as important values, but more that they just consider them more words for "good" that they can attach to things they like.

Sorry your brother joined a cult though :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

My boy Matt D. met Sargon at the Mythcon, he isn't familiar with him or his shittiness so much and its so cathartic to see him completely rip him apart because he's coming from another social place of the internet then me (SA, this thread, my twitter sphere etc) so its nice to know my optics are validated from another angle.

Matt's whole shtick about how you should never call people Nazis or protest speakers irks me, but at least he recognized that Sargon is a dipshit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The sadmad carlgon fans in the comments sustain me, desperately scrambling to move goalposts and bullshit about how using nazi iconography is totally just satire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

The sadmad carlgon fans in the comments sustain me, desperately scrambling to move goalposts and bullshit about how using nazi iconography is totally just satire.

I always wonder what is it satirizing?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

murphyslaw posted:

He's a pretty typical underachiever gamer dude whose political awakening was when GG was in full swing. That tantrum really hosed a lot of people in the head it seems.

I had one of those moments just when I read your posts. I followed GG pretty actively as it unfolded and I just realized I don't still have the slightest idea of why gamergate is a thing and why people started going after Zoë Quinn. Of course, it's misogyny but most misogynists don't bother with actively doing poo poo like that. Even now, years later, I occasionally see dorks turn up in my mentions if I happen to mention Quinn on Twitter.

It's really mindboggling.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kemper Boyd posted:

I had one of those moments just when I read your posts. I followed GG pretty actively as it unfolded and I just realized I don't still have the slightest idea of why gamergate is a thing and why people started going after Zoë Quinn. Of course, it's misogyny but most misogynists don't bother with actively doing poo poo like that. Even now, years later, I occasionally see dorks turn up in my mentions if I happen to mention Quinn on Twitter.

It's really mindboggling.

group identity. i spend most of my time talking about video games with nerds on the internet > i am a "gamer" > other gamers told me this bitch is trying to ruin gaming, which is our thing > i will forever hate this bitch because the little society i identify with hates her

it keeps its own momentum where hating zoe quinn, anita sarkeesian and so on becomes something you do if you profess to share this identity. you can't meaningfully question the reason for the hate until you question the identity, and this is an identity built by and for nerds desperate for inclusion. it's the same reason older americans still get freaked out about communism or jane fonda

it's similar to the geek social fallacies

http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

"Uh, uuuh, UUUUH, OUTRAGE CULTURE, yeah that's it, heh heh, see it's funny cause it's a repurposed nazi symbol, then people call the users nazis when they totally promise they aren't, it's like so ironic."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Who What Now posted:

Sargon is a dipshit.

Even if "I wouldn't even rape you" wasn't a threat (read the Gift of Fear for why it actually is a threat) it is still a gruesome misogynist insult that implies the speaker is a rapist and is ok with rape.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Silly sjews who will jump at the chance to shout "Nazi" at anyone doing things they don't like. Things like "wearing Nazi uniforms" or

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

it's funny at the end where he talks about not having to debate david duke because people like him hold views that have been refuted thoroughly but doesn't seem to grasp sargon et al are in the same boat.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

No, no, my name is, er, Goseph, uh, Joebbels. The similarity is just coincidence. Anyway I don't see why you would refuse to debate me on the Globalist Question, don't you believe in the marketplace of ideas?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Where does this belief that the Rationals aren't emotional come from? Every single video I see of these clowns is them going ballistic at whatever random thing an SJW does at any given moment.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 9, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Where does this belief come that the Rationals aren't emotional? Every single video I see of these clowns is them going ballistic at whatever random thing an SJW does at any given moment.

projection, like how all the strong right wing rugged individualists are justifiably outraged at other people kneeling during the national anthem but it is the liberals who are permatriggered snowflakes, you see

it's part of the weird dichotomy of "people who get angry at the internet are themselves owned" / "performative outrage is the laziest, hackiest way to build a brand"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

like boner said it's projection and it's also that "emotional" is just their weird way of saying "empathy". for some reason """rationals""" see being empathetic as weakness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

like boner said it's projection and it's also that "emotional" is just their weird way of saying "empathy". for some reason """rationals""" see being empathetic as weakness.

Yeah there's a certain set of people in the world who do this. "emotional" doesn't mean emotions it means the gay girly emotions that I don't like and never developed as a child.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Krotera posted:

(I'm pretty sure I'm one of the people who has been really mean to you. Sorry for doing that, my praxis is not great.)

Can I suggest paying it forward by figuring out which of your friends are pushing this stuff, then convincing them it's bull? I'm guessing you participate in forums, chatrooms, or video games where some of this stuff is popular, so you probably have some friends who relay it to you.

I don't have any excuse like that really. I got a few conspiritard friends, but its hard to take them seriously. They are 9/11 truthers/global warming deniers. Retarded as gently caress, but not exactly /pol material. I also had one friend who believed some really horrific poo poo, but we have not had any real contact in 5 years. I just kind of started through the atheist youtube community when I was 16.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 9, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midig posted:

the atheist youtube community when I was 16.

I just reflexively lurched and made an "uurrrrh!" noise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Contrapoints started that way many years and about three personal reinventions ago. There's hope for anyone, I say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean more just I can't really think of many worse places to spend your time, even as a teenage atheist I could never stand that degree of smugness.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

OwlFancier posted:

It's a common enough origin story. I probably would have ended up the same way if I wasn't bigger on PZ Meyers than I was on Thunderf00t during the Elevatorgate debacle. Not that I don't also look back at my previous fondness of PZ and wonder why, but at least I ended up here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did go to school with people who, back when the god delusion came out, were super thrilled by it. Whereas I didn't see the point because I was already atheist so why would I want to read it?

I feel like there's some specific psychological difference that makes some people like that stuff and others dislike it even if they technically agree with it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The thinking I kind of dislike is "we need to get rid of all superstitions and religions". I mean even as an atheist that sounds loving joyless as an exercise. Why not have people believe in divinity as long as they are willing to be cool and good in their lives.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

The thinking I kind of dislike is "we need to get rid of all superstitions and religions". I mean even as an atheist that sounds loving joyless as an exercise. Why not have people believe in divinity as long as they are willing to be cool and good in their lives.

when i was in that teenage phase of my development as an atheist i really just got off on how much smarter i was being than everyone else. this was before it occurred to me that maybe there was something broken in me for not being able to feel spirituality like many other humans do. now i'm a firm atheist but i acknowledge the space for spirituality and the divine to exist in other people's experience of the world since humans are fundamentally irrational, myself included. i'm just glad i got to that point before the whole new atheism movement ever got off the ground

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I randomly came across a video where The Amazing Atheist defends the Confederacy. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still, wtf? I remember seeing this dude on some online debate with some right-wing loon a few years ago and I recall raising more than a few eyebrows at how this supposed "liberal" dude agreed quite a bit with the guy he was supposed to be arguing against. Always thought that was weird, but looking back. :thunk:

OwlFancier posted:

I did go to school with people who, back when the god delusion came out, were super thrilled by it. Whereas I didn't see the point because I was already atheist so why would I want to read it?

I feel like there's some specific psychological difference that makes some people like that stuff and others dislike it even if they technically agree with it.

I too, was already an atheist/agnostic by the time the God Delusion came out, but it was also around the same time that I got really invested in politics and thought people like Dawkins were the coolest guys for how they consistently owned religious fundamentalists.

Then there was that poo poo with Rebecca Watson which he decided to comment on for some weird rear end reason and also offered some really hot takes on having sex with minors...

Coincidentally, this was also around the time where people like Sargon, TAA, et al, were gaining steam.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/coherentstates/status/917517177078546433

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Jesus loving Christ. Report this guy to patreon, please.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't know that it's projection so much as it is that anger is considered a masculine trait. Calling some one emotional is just a barely round about way of saying they're too feminine. They aren't emotional from their perspective because emotional only encompasses the bad unmanly emotions.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 10, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Burn the internet to the loving ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I see he has another video that's titled "The Jewish Question" in the thumbnail and subtitled "Both sides." Definitely not clicking on that one.

Is this what a "radical centrist" looks like? "Some people say the Holocaust happened, others say Jews faked the whole thing, when really the truth is in the middle. Also,"

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 10, 2017

• Locked thread