Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cyouni posted:

I can understand how he's gluttony, as in his first appearance you see he's fixated on gaining money to spend it, not to stockpile it. They focus on the spending aspect more than the stockpiling.

It's the opposite, really. He gets annoyed when he spends the three million yen for you, and all his inner thoughts from the dungeon fixate on his need to accumulate wealth to gain power. He doesn't actually care about spending the money, he just needs to have it. This is likely to differentiate himself from the person who actually represents greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That's something I've wondered; what is the difference between greed and gluttony?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's something I've wondered; what is the difference between greed and gluttony?
I was told the following in catechism, if my memory from decades ago is to be trusted:

Greed is accumulating (mostly) wealth or anything else and being so hard about accumulating it that you don't even use it to your benefit, it's being a billionaire and not heating your office because it costs too much.

Gluttony is consuming so much that you become sick, for example eating so much that you get diarrhea purely from the volume ingested. Sufficient drug use also qualifies.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Greed and Gluttony bosses in the game could switch their sins and still work.

Though I'm pretty sure a contributing factor to Kaneshiro getting Gluttony is that he's fat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Greed is the desire for unnecessary amounts of earthly goods (similar to lust, which is the desire for unnecessary amounts of non-physical but still earthly things, aka sex, power, yadda).

Gluttony is thoughtless waste, as opposed to active desire for more. So over eating is one such thing but you can still be a glutton just by hogging space, throwing away still useful goods, etc.

Take that with a grain of salt, the exact definitions of the seven sins were just always popular as opposed to based on anything biblical.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Arist posted:

in Polish they say it’s raining frogs

FYI? We don't. There's plenty of idioms for bad weather in Polish, but I can't recall a single one that would mention frogs in any capacity.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is it true that Poland has special cafes where pretty maids will eat with you and hold your hand

because that is so loving ladny

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think that's a thing in Japan, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pfff. Who the gently caress cares about Japan? I'm a hardcore przegrany for life! :poland:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Now doesn't it make you feel better...?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Arist posted:

It says it’s from the Phantom Thieves...
Look, there’s a bunch over there, too!
Is this some kind of stealth marketing campaign?
Junya Kaneshiro? Who’s that?

Makoto's idea was to plaster the card all across Kaneshiro's territory, to be seen by all those under his thumb. Makoto just became more awesome and I didn't even know that was possible.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Amusingly I just fused a Shiki Ouji for this fight and brought Makoto, Ann and Ryuji, after all you can't lose outside the roll over if MC is just immune to all damage. Mostly because I didn't want to hear English Morgana praise themselves every crit. Using the MC as a Healer is actually pretty great if you aren't too fussed about debuffing Kaneshiro, and it doesn't take that long to beat him anyway.

Also yeah everything I can tell about throwing an item is that it's all about the Yen value of said item.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A pig who roll over he own fly; a shameful pig

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hope you guys enjoyed this last update because some idiot just did 80 straight into a power pole outside my place and it looks like there won't be any more for a little bit

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 10, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
That awesome and horrifying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol that got resolved a lot quicker than I anticipated, never mind

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Arist posted:

i want more details

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This is now hilarious, awesome, and horrifying.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Arist posted:

And that's why you throw items to keep the boss from charging.

That'll learn you to call it a lovely gimmick.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

It's the opposite, really. He gets annoyed when he spends the three million yen for you, and all his inner thoughts from the dungeon fixate on his need to accumulate wealth to gain power. He doesn't actually care about spending the money, he just needs to have it. This is likely to differentiate himself from the person who actually represents greed.

It seems like the person who is all about hoarding should be greed, though? You can't be a glutton if you don't overconsume.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Think of it in the sense that he has no actual ambitions or goals for his wealth; he's just squandering it. He has no need for money and no real urge to spend it, but he keeps accumulating it anyway. Greed is, I suppose, more about actual desire and want, while one sense of gluttony is that it's about waste.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
it's because the game is bad with its conception of all but the obvious sins

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey man, if we're going to go into ones that feel tacked on, I don't even think this is the worst one.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
To be fair to the game, trying to a 7 sins motif is kind of difficult, because a bunch of them are basically just different facets of Greed(By my count, Lust is Greed for the flesh, Envy is Greed for other's possessions, and Gluttony is Greed with no aim at all), which makes it more the Four Deadly Sins.

That said, with everybody we've faced being in increasingly higher positions of power, I can't wait to see them try to ham-fist Envy in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. So what's this guy's treasure going to be? Everything he has is stolen and he's probably going to give it all back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought it was the vault itself. The idea of having something, you know?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Clearly it's going to be Piggytron and you add it to the party as a replacement for Morgana.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that certainly was an...unique boss battle intro, to say the least. The boss fight itself feels a bit reminiscent of Shadow Mitsuo from Persona 4, with the larger Piggytron serving as a giant distraction from the more important Kaneshiro. Except Kaneshiro is well, laughably easy (once you know what's going on) compared to Shadow Mitsuo as Arist showed.

Glazius posted:

Hm. So what's this guy's treasure going to be? Everything he has is stolen and he's probably going to give it all back.
With the whole gluttony and pig theme, I'm expecting Kaneshiro's treasure to be his first piggy bank from when he was a child. It's almost too good of an opportunity to pass up.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GeneX posted:

it's because the game is bad with its conception of all but the obvious sins

you complain way too much about everything, why are you even here?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Sordas Volantyr posted:

That said, with everybody we've faced being in increasingly higher positions of power, I can't wait to see them try to ham-fist Envy in.

They already ham-fisted Envy. That was Madarame's sin.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

With the writing in this game, I'm honestly scared how they'll try to ham-fist Lust.

Edit:

GhostStalker posted:

Lust was already covered, and Kamoshida fit the role pretty drat well.

Oof, can't believe I forgot about him. Thanks for the correction!

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 10, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

amigolupus posted:

With the writing in this game, I'm honestly scared how they'll try to ham-fist Lust.

Lust was already covered, and Kamoshida fit the role pretty drat well.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

cdyoung posted:

you complain way too much about everything, why are you even here?

My dude not loving every single thing about a game and calling it out when it’s bad do not mean I’m not enjoying the LP or praising it when it’s good

This game suffers immensely from concentrating almost all of its awful poo poo in the first 2 scenarios

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Materant posted:

They already ham-fisted Envy. That was Madarame's sin.

Vainglory is not Envy.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The 2nd scenario I can understand not liking
but the first too?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

DeafNote posted:

The 2nd scenario I can understand not liking
but the first too?

it’s really just how the game treats Ann in the first scenario that I take issue with, the rest of it is fairly well executed if a tad too dark for the rest of the game (Arist has thus far fought evil art man and fly louie anderson’s pig tank, this game is really not ‘attempted suicide and physical/sexual harassment’ dark.)

However no one needs to read me reiterate this poo poo, since Arist is well past that stuff, so let’s can this now or take it to PMs

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kaneshiro by nature of his position within the crime sector means he is at least connected if not ordering physical and sexual abuse, meanwhile Madarame's students are bad off enough that some of them are probably dead of suicide, we're just not seeing it directly.

Kamoshida works fairly well as an immediate and horrific villain, Madarame and a Kaneshiro build on that by being larger and larger figures harming more and more people. The scale of the crimes has gone up, if not the visible effects. To this end I assume we're gonna keep scaling up.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kaneshiro by nature of his position within the crime sector means he is at least connected if not ordering physical and sexual abuse, meanwhile Madarame's students are bad off enough that some of them are probably dead of suicide, we're just not seeing it directly.

Kamoshida works fairly well as an immediate and horrific villain, Madarame and a Kaneshiro build on that by being larger and larger figures harming more and more people. The scale of the crimes has gone up, if not the visible effects. To this end I assume we're gonna keep scaling up.

Who knows, perhaps one of our targets will be the prime minister of Japan or something. If Japan even has a prime minister. I think Japan has a prime minister at least.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
The seven sins are ill defined, but if you want to use them you can simply look at their opposing virtues in order to grasp their definition.

Temperance is the opposite of gluttony, while the opposite of greed is charity. So differentiating between the sins should be the tied to the differences between the virtues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It overall can be easier to tell apart but you still run into differentiating between kindness (the opposite of envy) and charity (opposing gluttony) and it goes back to small shadings of nuanced behavior. And of course, it's sort of hard to have a lot of kindness and charity for others if you don't have the requisite patience (opposing wrath). I assume, much like Newton shoehorning indigo into the "canonical" color spectrum, seven has numerological importance to Christian writers and they had to come up with something.