Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
gunnerkrigg court is so boring now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

the old ceremony posted:

gunnerkrigg court is so boring now

It does seem to have run out of steam, doesn't it? Hopefully it can still pick back up, if this was all planned from the beginning. If it wasn't planned out at the start this might be permanent.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man I missed this coming up in the middle of literally every single chapter of this comic.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean... this is the first time I've felt this way. I've been pretty eagerly reading Gunnerkrigg Court for a long time now; I started in a pretty early chapter. Maybe it's me, but, I find myself following GC mostly out of habit, not because I'm excited for new pages. It sort of crept in over the last few months-to-years, I can't pinpoint a moment where I went from enthused to drifting away.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 10, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I like this arc, and GC has gone through arcs before that were maddening for people to take serially (Stone comes to mind with at least half the people in the thread complaining about it)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GC is finally exploring one of the longest standing mysteries in the comic and people are like wow so boring

idgi

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gunnerkrigg Court is good, both in general and at this specific moment.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regy Rusty posted:

GC is finally exploring one of the longest standing mysteries in the comic and people are like wow so boring

idgi

I mean it's the same people who whined about Stone as it came out Serially when it was one of the best things the comic has done.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
We already knew Annie's parents loved each other that's not a mystery unless you're in some irrational place like Annie and think her dad has mind control powers. This arc does feel like it'd fit better as a side vignette that compliments the story... what's left of one at least.

But whatever, her dad coming back threw a wrench in whatever remained of the pacing for the comic years ago. Maybe we'll get lucky and coyote will destroy the court in 10 pages for a quick and satisfying end to another "female protag with daddy issues" plot line.

e- also I liked Jones' backstory chapter

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

We already knew Annie's parents loved each other that's not a mystery unless you're in some irrational place like Annie and think her dad has mind control powers. This arc does feel like it'd fit better as a side vignette that compliments the story... what's left of one at least.

That's not the mystery I'm talking about, but seeing the start of their relationship is vitally important to getting there.

I'm talking about why they decided to have a child despite knowing full well what the cost would be.

Anyway her dad coming back was one of best things to happen to the comic's plot so we'll never see eye to eye

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Regy Rusty posted:

That's not the mystery I'm talking about, but seeing the start of their relationship is vitally important to getting there.

I'm talking about why they decided to have a child despite knowing full well what the cost would be.

That's not a mystery either. Either they didn't know, Tony thought could cure it because male ego, or they did know but did it anyway because love. Maybe some mix of the three? It's something interesting to fill in but it doesn't really hook me in as a mystery.

Regy Rusty posted:

Anyway her dad coming back was one of best things to happen to the comic's plot so we'll never see eye to eye

That's kind of dramatic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean I haven't read GC in literally years because I don't even remember but I remember they do answer why the lady insisted on having a kid despite knowing full well it would kill her and it was something about how it was in fire's nature to propagate itself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nuns with Guns posted:

But whatever, her dad coming back threw a wrench in whatever remained of the pacing for the comic years ago.

Annie's dad coming back is the only thing in the comic that's given Annie's arc any real weight or anything to do (Her talk with Wolf Tree about it is basically the biggest moment of reflection she's given to her actions since the comic started) and more has happened in the big overall plot arcs since he came back than before (Kat's new bio-mechanical stuff, robot's cult getting more solidified, the Shadow Men being introduced, Jeanne being dealt with and Kat's weird mechanical god form being observed, Annie actually facing some backlash for her hosed up and dangerous plans/disregard of others). Tony showing up hasn't hurt the pacing at all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I seriously hate Annie's dad. And not in any sort of fun way. He's just so consistently tedious, and the way other characters react to him does consistent damage to what ever themes or character traits the story has built up thus far. And the writing is just so unconvincing these days.

Sure, on paper stuff has happened. But it's somehow incredibly hard to give a poo poo. The resolution to Jeanne's arc was the dampest of squibs.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Actually I suspect part of my disenchantment is that arc ending? It was a huge part of the comic (the river, the divide, the mystery of that) and it feels as though it's just... done. And it hasn't felt like any of the other major mysteries of the setting have been coming forward. As noted, Annie's dad isn't really a mystery, he's just a distant and incompetent father at best.

If there had been immediate results (that I can remember) to Jeanne's story ending, and the river no longer being 'guarded' it would have given a sense of continuity but I feel detached from the earlier plotting.

It's highly subjective, obviously, but the comic really isn't feeling urgent or mysterious to me anymore.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Annie's dad coming back is the only thing in the comic that's given Annie's arc any real weight or anything to do (Her talk with Wolf Tree about it is basically the biggest moment of reflection she's given to her actions since the comic started) and more has happened in the big overall plot arcs since he came back than before (Kat's new bio-mechanical stuff, robot's cult getting more solidified, the Shadow Men being introduced, Jeanne being dealt with and Kat's weird mechanical god form being observed, Annie actually facing some backlash for her hosed up and dangerous plans/disregard of others). Tony showing up hasn't hurt the pacing at all.

Anthony coming back is the first time Annie's faced any serious consequences for cheating and defying the court but I don't think he'd be integral to either of those if Tom felt like using a different agent for those consequences. There'd definitely be a way that wasn't such a tired path of angst for a female protagonist. It might have even been more interesting to have her expelled like the court was planning on doing? Ysengrin calling her out was amusing but I would have preferred to see Annie work through how she separated her anger and fire like that and fold it back into herself rather than have Ysengrin solve that problem by breaking the blinker stone.

As far as plot arcs, Kat's transformation into a biomechanical goddess form was first revealed before she got a girlfriend and that was... god 4 years ago? Robot's cult has been plugging along 8 years or more. The shadow men had one cameo back like 7 years ago and just popped up again recently. We don't know what they do or want, except I guess to have free robosex. They have even less of a hook to them at this point than that mysterious shadow group in SFP that killed all the children with useful superpowers.

I can't think of any dangerous plans Annie has made or carried out between "I must construct a robotic walking device which will provide you with transit across the bridge!" and them freeing Jeanne. The time she tried to break Jack's heart, found out he doesn't give a crap about her, and got laughed at, I guess? Oh, I guess the first time she went looking for Reynardine and he almost murdered her. I always thought they glossed over that a weird amount. The last time she put someone in danger with Jeanne was an accident she had no way of expecting. The other major actions I remember Annie taking were pretty impulsive, which she has been told off for, like when she ran off into the forest for the summer and Kat was pissed. I don't remember any other times where Annie and Kat asked for help from people who weren't fully aware of the danger they were being placed in, which is bad and worth being told off for, but not enough has happened yet to know if Annie learned from that.

Jeanne has been something that was introduced as a mysterious plot hook that was first introduced in 2006. We got a big revelation about in 2009, with the Sky Watcher and the Angel chapter. Parley and Smitty got pulled into it later in 2009, and they periodically talk about doing something until Jeanne is finally freed as of a year ago. Only you know that's not the end because now coyote is up to something, to be continued etc. I was kind of disappointed by Jeanne's resolution. Maybe I'd just been waiting so long I'd stopped being as invested in it?

Huh, looking back at it, a lot of my favorite chapters were from between 2009 and 2012. I don't know if any of the more recent stuff has worked as well for me.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 10, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The big Jeanne stuff was just three chapters ago. If you think that plotline is at its resolution with no furhter consequences, you're too zoomed in.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fangz posted:

I seriously hate Annie's dad. And not in any sort of fun way. He's just so consistently tedious, and the way other characters react to him does consistent damage to what ever themes or character traits the story has built up thus far. And the writing is just so unconvincing these days.

Sure, on paper stuff has happened. But it's somehow incredibly hard to give a poo poo. The resolution to Jeanne's arc was the dampest of squibs.

he was pretty interesting at the beginning of his comeback as a harbinger of the kids actually having to contend with and defer to adult authority instead of ignoring it to go on escapist adventures. It added some actual humanity to the story that just isn't there in a story where Harry Potter can just wave his wand and whisk away from the Dursleys, who he never had any emotional attachment to anyway, to go gently caress around with magical puzzles. Unfortunately of all the interesting directions the comic could go with that, the Antimony conception origin story was not one of them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assume that removing Jeanne will have consequences for the rift between the court and the forest at some point, but if Gunnerkrigg has one major weakness it's that each chapter is laser focused on one particular thread or theme, so anything that should have at least some sort of background presence just kind of vanishes until it's time to devote a chapter to it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, I think Sonny & Mildred are probably both right.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Since I know some of you read the excellently odd and often menacing Phantom Tollbooth-style fantasy that is The Property of Hate, just gonna point out that the Kickstarter for their second volume is up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ditocoaf posted:

The big Jeanne stuff was just three chapters ago. If you think that plotline is at its resolution with no furhter consequences, you're too zoomed in.

Like I said in my post, I know the impact of freeing Jeanne will play out more. Jeanne herself has found closure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he was pretty interesting at the beginning of his comeback as a harbinger of the kids actually having to contend with and defer to adult authority instead of ignoring it to go on escapist adventures. It added some actual humanity to the story that just isn't there in a story where Harry Potter can just wave his wand and whisk away from the Dursleys, who he never had any emotional attachment to anyway, to go gently caress around with magical puzzles. Unfortunately of all the interesting directions the comic could go with that, the Antimony conception origin story was not one of them.

Yeah, if Siddell had any interest in the kids having to contend with authority that might be interesting. Instead that is handled by having the kids become okay with it off screen.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Just Offscreen posted:

That's why he has to ruin it. He is a ruiner.

Well Allison is ending the Tackleverse so who better to erase it completely than Tim. At some point in Giant Days Esther will look slightly lost for a moment then continue on her day, one final footnote.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What, for good this time?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Mors Rattus posted:

What, for good this time?

Here is the tumblr link to the post.

http://scarygoround.tumblr.com/post/162589434428/the-beginning-of-the-end

I remember it well because on the day he announced he was killing it, I'd posted that Shelley was eternal and could never die and Allison would reboot/restructure and ultimately return to her.

He's since expanded that the tangled mess of said time-wimey continuity and characters, and trying to manage diverse audience expectations of what Tackle-verse stories should be is why he no longer enjoyed writing it.

I believe Giant Days is still continuing but as far as the readers need to know, and probably all that most, know, Esther is a perky goth some a town who broke up with her first boyfriend. There is no romantic triangle Hell & Wales saga.

I remember when he ended Scary-Go-Round, and announced there would be a new project called Bad Machinery, there was a logo and I think it had a little picture of a robot. No matter how much people disliked the last few arcs of SGR and a certain green fishperson, they were loving pissed (not so much here) that it was ending.
When Bad Machinery began a few months later, many were even more pissed that in was in Tackleford, years had gone by, and it was about a bunch of 11 year olds now.

Many people get more attached to the world/characters than they do to the author.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 10, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I just don't believe he'll really let it all go. He'd said he was sick of writing the Bobbins cast when he switched to Bad Machinery, and you've seen how that went. Hell, I'd be unsurprised if he'd said it when Bobbins ended.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

John has said the tackleford stories are ending but I don't really take that to mean Everyone Will Die.

There will still be Giant Days anyway.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

everybody dies

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Tim Jones travel in the distant past, accidentally causes the invasion of the British Islands by the Finno-Korean empire in 1066, Tackleford is never founded and all the Bobbins/SGR/BM characters are retconned out of existence.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Cat Mattress posted:

Tim Jones travel in the distant past, accidentally causes the invasion of the British Islands by the Finno-Korean empire in 1066, Tackleford is never founded and all the Bobbins/SGR/BM characters are retconned out of existence.

Except for Tim Jones himself of course. It's all pretty pointless if he's not made to wallow in the terribleness he has wrought.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Kojiro posted:

Since I know some of you read the excellently odd and often menacing Phantom Tollbooth-style fantasy that is The Property of Hate, just gonna point out that the Kickstarter for their second volume is up.

Thanks. I am one of those readers, and encourage everyone in this thread to read it as well if you don't mind a slow burn.

Also, good work on Widdershins.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
(One of) The best character is back and SHE appears!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Drunk Theory posted:

Also, good work on Widdershins.

Ta! It's been fun to wrap up a bunch of plots.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kojiro posted:

I fell behind on Widdershins a long time ago, but it's something that I'm very glad exists.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kojiro posted:

Is this going to be the final arc, or moving into new stories after?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mors Rattus posted:

Is this going to be the final arc, or moving into new stories after?

There's more in the works, just wanted to cap off the deadly sins arc stuff first. Wanna get that ratio of introducing plots and actually resolving them correct, y'know?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kojiro posted:

Wanna get that ratio of introducing plots and actually resolving them correct, y'know?
True, not everyone has it in them to be Robert Jordan.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kojiro posted:

There's more in the works, just wanted to cap off the deadly sins arc stuff first. Wanna get that ratio of introducing plots and actually resolving them correct, y'know?

Good plan, yeah. I'm glad - this could've been the finale, and I love the setting and want to see more of it. The magic system is really fascinating, with the emotion stuff you've got going with it. I've wondered before about how to translate it into game rules, though never with any real effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mors Rattus posted:

Good plan, yeah. I'm glad - this could've been the finale, and I love the setting and want to see more of it. The magic system is really fascinating, with the emotion stuff you've got going with it. I've wondered before about how to translate it into game rules, though never with any real effort.

Thanks, it's been a fun one to plot for :) Haha, if you mean pen and paper rpg, you could get pretty far with a loose system like Powered by the Apocalypse, but as you say, effort.