Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

nachos posted:

How much money was wasted on doom's multiplayer both from a development and marketing standpoint?

A whole bunch since the season pass was entirely multi stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The cinematic requirement to have every single piece of dialogue in a game be fully voiced and animated is probably a huge-rear end budget sink, especially considering that means multiple casts and recording sessions for localization. And I bet most players aren't even paying that much attention or skipping 90% of it

I still remember when that was one of their big marketing points for SW:TOR mmo. Like who gives a poo poo?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I picked up Stardew Valley and Picross S together for less than half the price of Destiny 2 and I bet I’ll get a lot more fun out of them then I did the latter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Photorealistic is an odd thing to call graphics that will probably look quant in ten years. Playing the Dragon’s Dogma port makes me wish Capcom had gone for a more stylised look.

Loot boxes are trash designed to prey on people with problems.
its relative to the year it came out, like mgs is photorealistic by 1998 standards, and battlefront 2 is by 2017 standards even though in 2027 people will look at pics of bf 2 and lol. although theed in bf2 looks way better than in the actual movie it comes from, imo

all the high end graphics concepts like PBR and GI come from trying to replicate how light works in reality, rather than starting out with a specific look in mind and working backwards from there and its wrong headed imo. I see real looking things all day long, so something looking realistic in a game isn't memorable or interesting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The cinematic requirement to have every single piece of dialogue in a game be fully voiced and animated is probably a huge-rear end budget sink, especially considering that means multiple casts and recording sessions for localization. And I bet most players aren't even paying that much attention or skipping 90% of it

IIRC most games spend a plurality of their development time and budget in generating artwork. It's the one area where the assets can't be mass produced, you can't outsource it to other studios while still maintaining a cohesive direction, and you need actual talented people to endlessly iterate and put out fresh content.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Of course Battlefront 2 looks trashy in 2017, it's 12 years old

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
quake 1 holds up better than quake 2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it looks better than quake 3, also

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing Siren instead of Killer7 because K7 wasn't matching an October vibe and this is a bizarre, brutal game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I played Rogue Leader last night and it still looks very good for it's age

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I started playing Siren instead of Killer7 because K7 wasn't matching an October vibe and this is a bizarre, brutal game
which siren, the ps2 version or ps3? they're totally different games and you should play them both imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

it looks better than quake 3, also

the blocky models and textures give it a unique flavor that's really easy for modders to work with and as such the base game and a lot of one-man mod projects look really cool

and even though the color palette is very dull it's not as loving eye-burning as quake 2 and the models don't look as weirdly dated as quake 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

which siren, the ps2 version or ps3? they're totally different games and you should play them both imo

PS2. Im on uh I guess the start of Loop 2. I dont remember any of the characters names because theres 30 of them and the game is not in chronological order

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's a shame that Shadow of War has all the microtransaction crap because watching someone plan a siege is pinging my affinity for strategy game army composition. It even has the Total War general speeches

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

PS2. Im on uh I guess the start of Loop 2. I dont remember any of the characters names because theres 30 of them and the game is not in chronological order

both the PS2 Siren games are better than SH2 imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I disagree bc of the 2nd Objective stuff but it's a cool game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the ps3 version is weird cause its not just like a hd remaster or whatever, its an adaptation that dramatically changes and simplifies stuff. its like a really complex and oppressive book getting adapted into a movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have the PS3 version bc it was a PS+ game but I'd have to plug my PS3 in the play it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://nebulous.group/index.php/projects/translations/star-cruiser-2/ looks weird

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

VideoGames posted:

I absolutely agree that it doesn't matter if Deckard is or isn't a replicant. That's not what we are trying to question and that is why I love it. I love stories that examine what we call humanity. It's such an interesting and intriguing concept.

Are there games that go into this sort of thing? (I did play the original Bladerunner game all those years ago, and that was a ride!)

I know you were asking about games and this was many pages ago, but I just finished some books that I thought were very good that went deep into this kind of thing called the Alchemy Wars by Ian Tregillis.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

it's like impossible to find roms for 2 for some reason so i played a bit of the first one that was translated by the same guys and it's cool if ridiculously primitive, 2 is on the pc-98 and has mouse aim though so it's probably a lot better

there was actually a whole tweet thread circulating a while back to generate interest in the series which led to the lead programmer on the games getting really confused why a bunch of americans were asking them for a new star cruiser game on twitter lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 10, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Replaying Breath of the Wild has caused me to think about what I value in games. While I am enjoying it as a background task and still think the open-world is absolutely gorgeous and well-realized, I can't say that I am enjoying it as much the second time around. I think Breath of the Wild is one of the most impressive games ever made, but a lot of that is in how they prod the player into exploring the world without giving them explicit direction. If anyone hasn't had a chance to read it yet this breakdown on how they achieved that is extremely interesting. To summarize though, they utilize their terrain to hide points of interest, encouraging players to find high-ground in order to spot the areas they'd like to visit. It's an approach that conveys a lot of trust in the player to uncover their own experiences.

However, the lack of a strong story and direction makes it a little difficult to go back to. I find myself comparing it to one of my other favorite Zelda titles: The Wind Waker. I could go back to Wind Waker over and over again, because it's a hand-crafted experience that, while being more linear, maintains a consistent flow of highs and lows to push the player through.

So I'm curious what you all think: does a game lose value to you if it can't be gone back to later?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not so much graphics they need to stop focusing on as the idea that every game should be capable of holding players' attention for hundreds of hours. Even aside from what that philosophy does to game design, the market can only support so many of those.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

the ps3 version is weird cause its not just like a hd remaster or whatever, its an adaptation that dramatically changes and simplifies stuff. its like a really complex and oppressive book getting adapted into a movie

yeah they even changed more of the cast to be Americans lol

it's still crazy good though, even if it is a lot easier

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Colonel posted:

it held up better when quake 2 came out :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaphod42 posted:

it held up better when quake 2 came out :colbert:

well yeah, quake 1 is one of the best fps games ever made and quake 2 is a pretty good fps that's mostly elevated to greatness by its soundtrack

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Replaying Breath of the Wild has caused me to think about what I value in games. While I am enjoying it as a background task and still think the open-world is absolutely gorgeous and well-realized, I can't say that I am enjoying it as much the second time around. I think Breath of the Wild is one of the most impressive games ever made, but a lot of that is in how they prod the player into exploring the world without giving them explicit direction. If anyone hasn't had a chance to read it yet this breakdown on how they achieved that is extremely interesting. To summarize though, they utilize their terrain to hide points of interest, encouraging players to find high-ground in order to spot the areas they'd like to visit. It's an approach that conveys a lot of trust in the player to uncover their own experiences.

However, the lack of a strong story and direction makes it a little difficult to go back to. I find myself comparing it to one of my other favorite Zelda titles: The Wind Waker. I could go back to Wind Waker over and over again, because it's a hand-crafted experience that, while being more linear, maintains a consistent flow of highs and lows to push the player through.

So I'm curious what you all think: does a game lose value to you if it can't be gone back to later?

Too many games to revisit them and open world games are the type I'll beat the main storyline stuff then gently caress around once every few months. So no, it doesn't lose value to me as the value of all games is lost when I've gotten my fill.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe, but in this particular case it might be because it's been only a few months since you played it last?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if by "go back to" you mean replay from scratch, I don't think I'm ever gonna want to replay MGSV or peace walker but those are two of my favorite games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

Spending on money on lootboxes is for chumps, what you should be doing is paying over a thousand real world dollars to make Geralt of Rivia's hair flow @ 1440p 60fps.

i paid over a thousand real world dollars to make my hair flow like geralt of rivia's

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

Some of my favorite games ever are ones that took a few hours to complete and that I will probably never care to replay. I enjoyed them for the way they made me feel while experiencing them and what they made me think about after. Replayability is nice where you can find it but very few games are like that to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

homeless snail posted:

its relative to the year it came out, like mgs is photorealistic by 1998 standards
Your point is valid but I think even MGS1 is fairly stylized and atmospheric- arguably moreso than any of the later games.

The faces on the 3D models look pretty bad now though, but oh well it was the PS1.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The idea of your favourite game being something you won’t replay is insane to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

The problem is the game is basically half-done. There's no dungeons. There's no getting key items to complete dungeons. That's... not a Zelda game. The framework in BOTW is so great it would make for the best Zelda game of all time hands down... but they just didn't finish it. Its a big cool game as-is, but its really not a Zelda game as we know it. That's not inherently bad, but... eh. Its missing things.

As for does a game lose value if you can't go back, I would say the key example is another zelda, Ocarina of Time. For me it was always the game that was so amazing and breathtaking the first time through, as a kid it was so huge, but after I beat it I didn't really feel like going back all that much. I moved on to Majora's and other games. That said, I've since gone back and beaten it many times, but it was a few years before I could re-play it again. Contrary to say, more multi-player focused games where you can really burn on them non-stop for months.

That itself isn't a dealbreaker, as long as the first experience is plenty long and amazing.

Dark Souls will never be as good as the first time I played it, but I do go back and play other characters and get lots of replay from it and co-oping with friends, so its kinda the best of both worlds with that regard.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Breath of the Wild has as many dungeons as Majora's Mask.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Olive! posted:

Nah, it has 4 big puzzles with a boss after, not quite the same thing.

The shrines are closer to dungeons than the beasts are, and they're still not quite the same thing. They're too short and self-contained. Dungeons are all about playing on a theme and building lessons or using a tool in consistent and new ways.

Fighting the bosses has nothing to do with beating the puzzles... etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PantsBandit posted:

In my case - no. Final Fantasy X and Okami are incredible games that I now know pretty well - even 100%-ed Okami - but I don't know if I'd want to replay them anytime soon. There's so much in my backlog, so much else to play that I'd have to be in a mood to play them - and in that case, it'll be like rereading an old familiar book.

Also, with another decade or two I might even forget enough about them for them to be new experiences! So that'll be cool, although I'll have to get a new PS2 as my old one was kidnapped by my brother when he last visited here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The idea of your favourite game being something you won’t replay is insane to me.
in my case, the progression in MGSV/PW is kinda cool the first time you go through it, but I don't wanna have to unlock everything all over again and probably will never want to. I can + do just go back and replay the missions in those games with my cool equipment though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a shame that Shadow of War has all the microtransaction crap because watching someone plan a siege is pinging my affinity for strategy game army composition. It even has the Total War general speeches
The market is a blank page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Olive! posted:

if you mean the beasts theyre loving tiny and aint nothin on stone tower

• Locked thread