Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Yeah, gently caress those drivers trying to earn a decent wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Didn't they used to have separate cab ranks for short and long fares? I remember airports getting rid of them for some reason.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Apparently the local queer social group had a couple of no people turn up to their monthly dinner/meeting to hand out anti gay propaganda as people left at the conclusion.

But you know, text messages are definitely the major incursion we should be worried about.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No they don't have split ranks and they're breaking the law refusing fares. I take uber because I can't be hosed sitting in the passenger seat of a taxi arguing until I have exhausted the driver and forced him to drive me home.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sparticle posted:

Yeah, gently caress those drivers trying to earn a decent wage.

Maybe they can do it by doing their loving jobs.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Spending all day in an airport taxi rank to get a lovely fare would suck, and doubly so if a smug shithead cop gave you a fine for it

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Inside scoop on the 4 Corners report: The guy drinking bore water was warned ~years ago~ not to drink bore water, and continued to ignore the local advice about not drinking the bore water.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_bywNRfNs

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Maybe the taxi companys' bullshit pay structure is the reason this and cashies happen. Nah forget that, punishing the worker is definitely the solution.

Starshark posted:

Maybe they can do it by doing their loving jobs.
This is what I say when I see workers illegally striking for better pay.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Recoome posted:

Inside scoop on the 4 Corners report: The guy drinking bore water was warned ~years ago~ not to drink bore water, and continued to ignore the local advice about not drinking the bore water.

Which of them?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi-drivers-fined-for-refusing-short-fares-from-melbourne-airport-20171008-gywryo.html

Lol taxis

Dozens of taxi drivers have been fined in a police sting for refusing to take short fares from Melbourne Airport.

Plain-clothes Fawkner Highway Patrol officers posing as passengers issued the $396 fines on Friday after receiving dozens of complaints.

Officers posed as passengers travelling to nearby suburbs and when drivers refused the fare, they were issued the $396 fine.

Once hailed, a driver cannot refuse a fare that is too short or inconvenient, according to the Victorian Taxis Services Commission.

"It is absolutely illegal," said the officer.

"They cannot knock you back. It's known as refusing a taxi fare on rank. It's a $396 fine on the spot."

The sting was carried out by plain-clothes officers because news of the operation "spread really quickly" throughout the taxi holding bay.

One taxi driver was also fined for offensive behaviour after he became aggressive to a police officer.

"One of the cabbies refused a fare to one of my workmates. [The officer] identified what we were doing and he completely flipped.

"He punched his steering wheel and swore in front of kids so we gave him another fine."

Tours operating illegally without driver accreditation or insurance were also issued fines by police for preying on domestic and international visitors.

"If you've come from somewhere like Brisbane they'll eyeball you and say 'Taxi? $65 to city'," the officer said.

"It's highly illegal. They've got no insurance and no driver certificate. They were hanging around like flies."

A fine for swearing? Now that's loving unaustralian

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

A fine for swearing? Now that's loving unaustralian

Not if the swearing person was brown.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Tokamak posted:

It's a little late for that

The donation was made a month ago.
They only went public about this now because most of the voting is over.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

When does the vote close and they release results?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Les Affaires posted:

When does the vote close and they release results?

Ballots have to be received by November 7th. Results are announced November 15th.

So there's still more than a month to go.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

camus observed that there is only one truly serious philosophical question, and that is whether or not to commit suicide

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Sparticle posted:

Maybe the taxi companys' bullshit pay structure is the reason this and cashies happen. Nah forget that, punishing the worker is definitely the solution.

This is what I say when I see workers illegally striking for better pay.

Okay what can the police do about the lovely pay structure then? They wanted to be the only public transport at the airport so they have to suck it up when there's a short fair.

Also when a worker strikes against capital that is cool and good, when they strike against the public, who don't control their pay, that is not.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Tasmantor posted:

Okay what can the police do about the lovely pay structure then? They wanted to be the only public transport at the airport so they have to suck it up when there's a short fair.

Also when a worker strikes against capital that is cool and good, when they strike against the public, who don't control their pay, that is not.

Police shouldn't have to do poo poo. By fining the individual workers they are just helping the taxi corps ignore the issue they created in order to keep profits. They could easily fix the problem by changing wage structure but that would hurt the bottom line so they never bother. The government could also force them to pay normal wages but they would rather have the police gently caress over the drivers. It's almost like the police exists to keep the working class in order...

I bring up strikes not because it is a perfect comparison but because the rhetoric used against drivers is the same used against unions. It's hard for a strike to avoid affecting the public. They both harm profit and grow public awareness to the issue. You can minimise the latter by framing it as the individual workers being greedy/lazy as opposed to the companies seeking profit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lid posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/taxi-drivers-fined-for-refusing-short-fares-from-melbourne-airport-20171008-gywryo.html

Lol taxis

Dozens of taxi drivers have been fined in a police sting for refusing to take short fares from Melbourne Airport.

Plain-clothes Fawkner Highway Patrol officers posing as passengers issued the $396 fines on Friday after receiving dozens of complaints.

Officers posed as passengers travelling to nearby suburbs and when drivers refused the fare, they were issued the $396 fine.

Once hailed, a driver cannot refuse a fare that is too short or inconvenient, according to the Victorian Taxis Services Commission.

"They cannot knock you back. It's known as refusing a taxi fare on rank. It's a $396 fine on the spot."

The sting was carried out by plain-clothes officers because news of the operation "spread really quickly" throughout the taxi holding bay.

One taxi driver was also fined for offensive behaviour after he became aggressive to a police officer.

"One of the cabbies refused a fare to one of my workmates. [The officer] identified what we were doing and he completely flipped.

"He punched his steering wheel and swore in front of kids so we gave him another fine."

Tours operating illegally without driver accreditation or insurance were also issued fines by police for preying on domestic and international visitors.

"If you've come from somewhere like Brisbane they'll eyeball you and say 'Taxi? $65 to city'," the officer said.

"It's highly illegal. They've got no insurance and no driver certificate. They were hanging around like flies."

Taxis remaining their own worst enemy in trying to remain a thing in the face of Uber etc.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Lid posted:

Lol taxis

Wasn't this literally a Chaser skit

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes but Uber is its own worst enemy too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They had a system where drivers who got a short fare could return to the front of the queue, but got rid of it because it was being rorted.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I don't even have words for such blind stupidity.

quote:

Former Australian prime minister Tony Abbott has suggested climate change is “probably doing good” in a speech in London in which he likened policies to combat it to “primitive people once killing goats to appease the volcano gods” .

Abbott delivered the annual lecture to the London-based Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF), a climate sceptic thinktank on Monday evening. The Guardian was blocked from attending the event but a copy of the speech was later circulated.

Abbott told the group the ostracisation of those who did not accept climate science was “the spirit of the Inquisition, the thought-police down the ages”. He also reprised his 2009 assertion that the “so-called settled science of climate change” was “absolute crap”.

Measures to deal with climate change, which Abbott said would damage the economy, were likened to “primitive people once killing goats to appease the volcano gods.

“At least so far,” he said, “it’s climate change policy that’s doing harm. Climate change itself is probably doing good; or at least, more good than harm.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/10/tony-abbott-says-climate-change-is-probably-doing-good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Tony is just a paid Coal spokesman at this point.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Senator Roberts reckons his case is the strongest of the seven before the High Court. His lawyers argue that even though he never believed he was a British citizen, he still took the steps to ask UK authorities about his status. The fact those inquiries were almost comically misguided doesn't matter — he still did more than his counterparts.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Would Tony even consider the inquisition bad in any other context?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Aside from Abbott's blind partisanship calling themselves the Global Warming Policy Foundation (and being climate sceptics) is just such arrogance and so misleading.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

"It's killing off all the poors and those brown people we hate, so there are benefits"

Remember this is the man who enjoyed a joke done by Potato Head about Pacific Island nations being flooded by rising sea levels.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

quote:

“At least so far,” he said, “it’s climate change policy that’s doing harm. Climate change itself is probably doing good; or at least, more good than harm.”

You see climate change is like a bad boss or bad husband. It tends to do more good than harm

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

You have to understand the mind of Tone.
Climate change is doing more good than harm, because it's mostly just killing people in the 3rd world:thumbsup:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
More CO2 and warmer temperatures means better crops etc etc

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Doctor Spaceman posted:

More CO2 and warmer temperatures means better crops etc etc

Pity about the missing rain.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2017/oct/10/citizenship-case-high-court-considers-mps-eligibility-live

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I just really hope Barnaby gets booted because it's the funniest thing to happen. Everyone else is acceptable collateral damage.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Senator Roberts reckons his case is the strongest of the seven before the High Court. His lawyers argue that even though he never believed he was a British citizen, he still took the steps to ask UK authorities about his status. The fact those inquiries were almost comically misguided doesn't matter — he still did more than his counterparts.

I hope the supreme court judges declare him inelegible on the basis of thinking that .uksydney was a valid TLD back in like 2004 or whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Matt Canavan tells Q&A Finkel review economic modelling is wrong
Former resources minister refuses to endorse clean energy target and says he has ‘queries’ about Finkel price predictions

cmon kick him out already

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you guys vote down gay marriage in a referendum, you will go back to being worse than Britain again, the worst English-speaking country.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's a survey, not a referendum. And it cost 120 million.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hakimashou posted:

If you guys vote down gay marriage in a referendum, you will go back to being worse than Britain again, the worst English-speaking country.

It's not a referendum. It's a survey. A non-binding, waste of time and money, homophobe enabling survey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

2800 suicides is completely different from 3000 suicides.

• Locked thread