Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who is Nobunaga Oda? Do you mean Devil King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

wielder posted:

Thing is, even DW7 (to say nothing of many of the previous games) shared movesets between characters to a greater or lesser degree. DW6 was neither the first nor the last time.

This is why DW8 was a better game than 7, its weaker storytelling notwithstanding.

To tell the truth I wouldn't even mind so much if some characters shared weapons but had dramatically different movesets, as seen with Guan Yu and Zhang Liao in 4 and 5 - they both used the glaive, but weren't clones of each other. #9 is not inspiring confidence that this will be the case.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Chachi posted:

To tell the truth I wouldn't even mind so much if some characters shared weapons but had dramatically different movesets, as seen with Guan Yu and Zhang Liao in 4 and 5 - they both used the glaive, but weren't clones of each other. #9 is not inspiring confidence that this will be the case.

Yeah, I want to be clear: "clone" has never meant "same weapon" to me, it's always been "same moveset." If you want to get technical, the old Dynasty Warriors games had something like half of the cast use a sword, but most of them had completely unique movesets.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, I want to be clear: "clone" has never meant "same weapon" to me, it's always been "same moveset." If you want to get technical, the old Dynasty Warriors games had something like half of the cast use a sword, but most of them had completely unique movesets.

I think it's gotten confused somewhat since they introduced weapon swapping. Back in the days before movesets were tied to weapons so they could be moved around, they were tied to characters and the weapons were largely incidental, though they at least had unique models for the people who shared a weapon type (Gan Ning's swords are very different looking to Cao Cao's, etc). I honestly think I like that system better, on balance. And given the way most people seem to refer to, say, the claws as "Zhang He's weapon", it seems a lot of people have difficulty fully detaching weapons and characters. I honestly would've totally accepted a DW9 that gave everyone just their EX weapon, no switching. If you want to get rid of some of the more fantastic weapons, variant movesets with different models are completely acceptable (turn Xiahou Ba's rocket-stake into a jousting lance?). Basically what I want is "just remake DW4 with more characters and more stages". I wouldn't mind keeping the thing where you can swap characters every stage though.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

Late to the party on this, but I somehow never noticed until I played as him last night that SB Oda is also carrying a GIANT SHOTGUN one handed.

He puts it to good use.

There are a lot of strange and powerful weapons in Basara but the deadliest of them all might be Matsunaga's personality. :allears:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was going through Mobygames for info on Koei games, and I found this gem from the back of Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV PC box.

"Prepare to be romanced!"

That must have been an interesting day for the marketing department.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yo I'm watching the early episodes of Three Kingdoms and Dong Zhou's attitude is loving identical to Donald Trump's. Like when he gets whiny and pissy at the 9 yr old boy. And I guess Lu Bu is the...Jared Kushner of this story?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Yo I'm watching the early episodes of Three Kingdoms and Dong Zhou's attitude is loving identical to Donald Trump's. Like when he gets whiny and pissy at the 9 yr old boy. And I guess Lu Bu is the...Jared Kushner of this story?
Nah, he's a little more complicated/sincere here than earlier depictions such as in the older series but I remember Wang Yun pulling the strings, albeit here guilt-tripping Diaochan into the scheme instead of her volunteering herself.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu are such pieces of poo poo in the show and I guess real life too. Supporting them must be the ancient equivalent of voting Democrat.

Edit: if Diao Chan didn't really exist, what could have possibly causes Lu Bu's betrayal?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Billzasilver posted:

Edit: if Diao Chan didn't really exist, what could have possibly causes Lu Bu's betrayal?

According to Wikipedia: "As Dong Zhuo usually behaved rudely in front of other people, he was afraid of being assassinated, hence he often kept Lü Bu by his side as a bodyguard. Dong Zhuo also had a bad temper and was easily agitated. During his outbursts, he threw short jis at Lü Bu, but Lü Bu reacted fast and dodged the weapons. Dong Zhuo's anger subsided after that. Lü Bu was very unhappy and he bore a grudge against his foster father. At the same time, Lü Bu was tasked with guarding Dong Zhuo's central living quarters, and he had a secret affair with one of Dong's maids. He feared that Dong Zhuo would find out and felt very uneasy about it.[Sanguozhi 5]

Earlier on, Lü Bu had been warmly received by Wang Yun, the Minister over the Masses (司徒), so he went to see Wang and complained about how Dong Zhuo almost killed him. At the time, Wang Yun and another official, Shisun Rui (士孫瑞), were plotting to get rid of Dong Zhuo so they told Lü Bu about their plan and sought his help. Lü Bu said, "But we are father and son!" Wang Yun replied, "Your family name is Lü so you have no blood relations with him. He was not concerned about you at all when you almost died, so where was the father-son bond?" Lü Bu agreed to join them and personally killed Dong Zhuo later."

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

"Mr. President, we've repealed DACA."

"HAO HAO HAO"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I've recently booted up DW3 again.

I'd forgotten how deeply this game hates the player and everything they stand for. I am also learning to fear archers all over again.

Also, drat you Sun Quan, running right the hell past me in He Fei while I'm fighting Gan Ning to lose me the level...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Deposing the Ten Eunuchs was 2nd century equivalent of draining the swamp.

Something I've been meaning to ask about is how Cao Cao is characterized in the DW games. Unless I misunderstood, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel characterized Cao Cao as a villain, whereas in real life, he was considered to be a skilled leader. There was something I was reading or some video I was watching related to RotTK where they talked about how awful Cao Cao was, and I thought, 'but that was just how the novel portrayed him'.

I made the observation that Cao Cao and Oda Nobunaga share a similar character design, but thinking about it later, both of them are also the same in the sense that they are usually depicted as being evil, but more recent/modern interpretations paint them in a better light.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Earlier Dynasty Warriors games tend to portray him as more sinister, more recent entries have started to portray him in a more sympathetic light; his big "Character quirk" in the Dynasty Warriors games is always "Ambition this, ambition that".

In 8 especially, to me it comes across as, yeah he's trying to strong-arm his way to his goals, but that goal is "bringing peace to a chaotic land", and is shown to be a brilliant leader in multiple respects, including how he recruits some of the playable characters.

The infamous "Cao Cao, Zhang Liao, and Lu Bu" moment at the end of Xia Pi in 8 makes me laugh a little, since it almost looks like Cao Cao is interested in recruiting Lu Bu, and Xiahou Dun nearly flips his lid in response.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I hope the new DW games, will include more what if scenarios.
Those are always fun

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cao Cao was basically the hero of DW7

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

disjoe posted:

"Mr. President, we've repealed DACA."

"HAO HAO HAO"

"Will those democrats in Congress really let me become Emperor?"

"I have already gotten Elizabeth Warren to write the decree."

"Really? That's good! That's very good! HahaHAHA HAO HAO HAO."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is there some of extra requirement for getting the sixth weapons in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL? I've been trying to get Zhang Liao 6th weapon (the Shadow Slayers), but they don't seem to show up, despite completing the requirements in time. Do you have to collect the prior weapons as well?

EDIT2: Figured it out; you have to increase the difficulty up at least 'Hard' for the weapons to drop. Either I missed that or it wasn't noted anywhere save for one FAQ I found.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 12, 2017

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Figured it out; you have to increase the difficulty up at least 'Hard' for the weapons to drop. Either I missed that or it wasn't noted anywhere save for one FAQ I found.

Only hard? For 6-star weapons? Motherfucker, and there I was playing on Ultimate to grab all this poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They probably didn't bother because 'good weapons only drop on the hardest difficulty levels' has been a Warriors thing forever.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Omega Force noticed there's a video game platform without any ports of their stuff and are working hard to rectify this oversight.

https://youtu.be/ySXs5Ad8F4Y

The GIG fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 13, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...Why 8 Empires and not 8 Complete?

I mean, it's not like 9's coming to the Switch when that shows up.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I would say its to port over a snaller game so they can use the cheaper cartridges but they're also porting Orochi 3 Ultimate and Spirit of Sanada so who loving knows.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The GIG posted:

Omega Force noticed there's a video game platform without any ports of their stuff and are working hard to rectify this oversight.

https://youtu.be/ySXs5Ad8F4Y

DQH1&2, ROTK 13 and NA:S were already on the Switch though

also man, I love me some WO3 but come on, KT.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I wouldn't put a Switch version of 9 out of the question, KT is releasing practically everything they have upcoming for it and it's not like it's going to be a technical marvel that couldn't work on it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The DQH port was pretty bad, I wouldn't put it past them. Granted I'm sure some of that was rushing for launch.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
FE Warriors runs great, so clearly koei is capable of making a warriors game for the switch that runs well

Whether or not they will is a different question

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Man. Booted up DW3 once again... I will forever be baffled by this one random-rear end Gate Captain in the battle at Yi Ling that, for some reason, has Commander levels of Stamina. He's not even near Sun Quan, he's on the other end of the map, near Sun Shang Xiang. :confused:

EDIT: Also the fact that both Lu Meng AND Zhou Yu are in the battle despite the fact they're supposed to be dead, but that's not all - not only are they here, they uber-buffed! Not to Lu Bu levels of not-flinching, but they're still ridiculously strong for being just random officers on the map - and worse, they're not too far from each other, so they can team up on you. Even on normal, a single musou attack from Lu Meng can easily knock off half my drat health bar :(

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 21, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't know if this is something the game will bring up later and I'm just jumping the gun, but in Fire Emblem Warriors: how do you get skills? I have a suspicion it's tied to bonds, but maybe not.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
You get skills from boost crests, though the materials are indeed gained from leveling up supports

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

Man. Booted up DW3 once again... I will forever be baffled by this one random-rear end Gate Captain in the battle at Yi Ling that, for some reason, has Commander levels of Stamina. He's not even near Sun Quan, he's on the other end of the map, near Sun Shang Xiang. :confused:

I remember that. My theory at the time was that he'd accidently been given SSX's stats or something.

BlazetheInferno posted:

EDIT: Also the fact that both Lu Meng AND Zhou Yu are in the battle despite the fact they're supposed to be dead, but that's not all - not only are they here, they uber-buffed! Not to Lu Bu levels of not-flinching, but they're still ridiculously strong for being just random officers on the map - and worse, they're not too far from each other, so they can team up on you. Even on normal, a single musou attack from Lu Meng can easily knock off half my drat health bar :(

There was that weird thing where Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sin Jian (and Sun Ce as well IIRC) would replace their sucessors as supreme commanders in later battles if you completed their musou modes. Maybe there's something similar for lower officers. I doubt it though. Guan Yu was my first character and I don't remember him appearing in battles after Fan castle.

My favourite historical inaccuracy is in SW1 where Masamune interferes in a battle that took place 6 years before he was born and defeats both sides.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Raserys posted:

FE Warriors runs great, so clearly koei is capable of making a warriors game for the switch that runs well

Whether or not they will is a different question

Well, it runs fine the the 720p mode, their "quality" preset runs terribly.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Death Zebra posted:

There was that weird thing where Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sin Jian (and Sun Ce as well IIRC) would replace their sucessors as supreme commanders in later battles if you completed their musou modes. Maybe there's something similar for lower officers. I doubt it though. Guan Yu was my first character and I don't remember him appearing in battles after Fan castle.

I know this at least happens with them showing up in more battles once you've completed their musou modes; my personal favorite is the fact that Guan Yu shows up at Yi Ling once you've completed his Musou Mode... Yi Ling, the battle that happens entirely because of his DEATH, and he's right there for it.

However, it wouldn't explain those officers having the super-buff stats. Also, it turns out Lu Xun has the same buff. It's not just a case of all playable officers getting it, as Sun Shang Xiang was a pushover on that same map, and it's not "all officers whose musou mode you've completed" either, as I have not yet done Lu Meng's musou mode, and I HAVE completed SSX's, and she was, as said, a pushover.

Lu Meng, Zhou Yu, and Lu Xun though, all three are for some reason absurdly powerful on that map, and I'm playing Zhuge Liang right now, so uhh, yeah. Bad times all around.

Death Zebra posted:

My favourite historical inaccuracy is in SW1 where Masamune interferes in a battle that took place 6 years before he was born and defeats both sides.

Let's face it, his musou mode was just a long string of that. "Oh look, a battle. LET'S KILL BOTH SIDES AAAHAHAHAHAHA"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 21, 2017

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Let's face it, his musou mode was just a long string of that. "Oh look, a battle. LET'S KILL BOTH SIDES AAAHAHAHAHAHA"

And that's why Masamune was the best character in SW1. I was so mad that they took away his "Imbeciles!" catchphrase in the sequels.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Maleketh posted:

And that's why Masamune was the best character in SW1. I was so mad that they took away his "Imbeciles!" catchphrase in the sequels.

Apparently Warriors Orochi 2 (only ever played the first one) has a scene with Masamune, Sima Yi, and Mitsunari Ishida that's mildly amusing.

After berating someone for some reason:

Sima Yi: "Imbeciles!"
Masamune: "Imbeciles!"
Mitsunari: "I'm not saying it."

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Apparently Warriors Orochi 2 (only ever played the first one) has a scene with Masamune, Sima Yi, and Mitsunari Ishida that's mildly amusing.

After berating someone for some reason:

Sima Yi: "Imbeciles!"
Masamune: "Imbeciles!"
Mitsunari: "I'm not saying it."

Yeah, I remember this. So good. :allears:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Incidentally, after the UTTER HELL that was beating Yi Ling in Zhuge Liang's musou mode (4th stage. Only had his 2nd weapon, only two other stages completed outside the first three stages of his musou mode)... well, let's sum up how Yi Ling went for me first.

Failed to stop the Fire Attack, literally all other primary officers other than myself and Liu Bei die, Liu Bei is back at the southwest base with 0 morale (I naturally have 8 because player character), Lu Meng and Zhou Yu kicked my rear end up and down the map, but many, MANY attempts later using savestates before engaging managed to take them both down, I had to make my way over to Liu Bei to save his rear end from Lu Xun, only to discover that HE had the same uber-buff as Lu Meng and Zhou Yu, so beating him takes a couple of attempts.

Go try to take out Cheng Pu, who's hanging out at the northern entrance to the base being distracted by Ma Liang (Zhuge Liang's subordinate, and thus doing just fine with 8 morale), except Liu Bei proceeds to die to soldiers off-screen, so I have to take on Lu Xun again, and then proceed to babysit Liu Bei's rear end all the way up to Sun Quan's area, since he decides to charge once I take down Lu Xun much to my chagrin. ("You're too far out! Pull back!" "gently caress YOU, HYPOCRITE, GO BACK TO BASE") So then I have to babysit him near Sun Quan, dealing with soldiers pouring out of gates and archers everywhere, Liu Bei only surviving because I:

a) never let him out of minimap range
b) go out of my way to give him chances to do that AI thing where they charge their musou to heal themselves

And then proceed to get my poo poo knocked down to red health from full against Sun Quan, leading to the time-honored tactic of running the gently caress away and/or blocking until my musou is full, then letting the fire damage burn Quan down. In the end, Liu Bei contributes a True Musou (Sun Quan hits him like a truck), but we still end up running, and Sun Quan leashes, putting me in a perfect position to just snipe the rest of his health bar with strong-attack arrows for the victory, because I was paranoid about how low my health was, having used up all the nearby health in breakable pots (that I could get at without leaving Liu Bei's side).

After all that... the game decides to give me Zhuge Liang's third weapon, with a fuckload of defense on it. I don't know whether to be angry or thankful. Because holy poo poo did I need that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I beat the story mode of Fire Emblem Warriors. Pretty good, still have yet to dive into the true postgame (lunatic/history mode) and prob will do it sometime in the coming week. A couple gripes:

1. Gearing up people is a chore, gotta go into multiple menus and even the optomize button is annoying since have to manually select every unit and hit it again and again, not to mention having to unlock the proper badge for the weapon rank individually.

2. The badge screen and equipment screen are two different menus entirely, and the former can't be done when you're on the mission briefing screen which is just annoying.

That's all off the top of my head, I really liked the game otherwise.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I beat the story mode of Fire Emblem Warriors. Pretty good, still have yet to dive into the true postgame (lunatic/history mode) and prob will do it sometime in the coming week. A couple gripes:

1. Gearing up people is a chore, gotta go into multiple menus and even the optomize button is annoying since have to manually select every unit and hit it again and again, not to mention having to unlock the proper badge for the weapon rank individually.

2. The badge screen and equipment screen are two different menus entirely, and the former can't be done when you're on the mission briefing screen which is just annoying.

You realize there's an optimize all menu option right? Not saying there aren't other UI issues, but that shouldn't be one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can you turn off the cinematic combo that pops up sometimes after doing a combo?. It's really annoying.
I've only played the tutorial. Gameplay is fun, but that little bit ruins the gameflow for me.