Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

He's extremely good at telling people what they want to hear, because he is a sociopath. Even by US politics standards he's something special.

So he's good at politics then?
Sounds exactly like what the dems need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
dems should at least look the part of a dystopian cyberpunk megalomaniac technocrat playing god

hillary paved the way with her space empress looks after all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

dems should at least look the part of a dystopian cyberpunk megalomaniac technocrat playing god

Hillary for Space Colony Despot

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm with CC on this, God help me. Khana took out Mike Honda on the back of a fuckton of silicon valley money. He failed twice before, changing his campaign as it suited him.

Maybe he really is a full throated social democrat, but I don't believe it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

and she backed down from this unorthodox and bizarrely compelling approach because she is

of course

a democrat

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

"If the semen harvesting is done by imported STEM teachers—with big bazongas—we can kill two birds with one stone. That...that's innovation... ."

Pointing to the chalkboard, Bro Khanna continued, "I'm high..."

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Oct 10, 2017

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/917571134228455429

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender

Nanomashoes posted:

So he's good at politics then?
Sounds exactly like what the dems need.

What's 'good' for dems isn't necessarily what's good for the left. Khanna isn't on the left's side

What good is winning if we just elect more baddems who lie about their commitment to left wing policy

alsothere has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Oct 10, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The man's from Cali and he can't even add an A to S.T.E.A.M.

:saddowns:

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender
it's probably a bad idea for leftists to back a politician who praised tech vampire and women's suffrage skeptic Peter Thiel for his Trump endorsement speech in an interview with breitbart

alsothere has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Oct 10, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

“Peter Thiel stood up for LGBT rights and for taking America one step closer to letting LGBT people have those rights. I applaud him,” Khanna told Breitbart News. “I’ve heard passionate liberal Democrats taking about Peter Thiel’s speech, including Rachel Maddow,” Khanna said. “Honda owes him an apology. His desperate attacks are hurting him among Democrats and people see it as petty and insensitive. And that he’s attacking Peter when he’s making a personal testimony is exactly the divisive, polarizing rhetoric that we need to overcome,” Khanna told Breitbart News.

gently caress ro khanna

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

oh i dont trust khanna i just trust CC even less.

Him doing good is more proof that the overton window is shifting leftwards and people are gonna start adopting medicare for all and free college cynically to get elected, which is not the worst thing in the world as long as people primary them if they fail to actually do those once in power.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fits my needs posted:

Newsom will jump on the band wagon too soon enough

newsom already came out swinging at rendon for holding up the single payer bill in the assembly

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

“Peter Thiel stood up for LGBT rights and for taking America one step closer to letting LGBT people have those rights. I applaud him,” Khanna told Breitbart News. “I’ve heard passionate liberal Democrats taking about Peter Thiel’s speech, including Rachel Maddow,” Khanna said. “Honda owes him an apology. His desperate attacks are hurting him among Democrats and people see it as petty and insensitive. And that he’s attacking Peter when he’s making a personal testimony is exactly the divisive, polarizing rhetoric that we need to overcome,” Khanna told Breitbart News.

lmao

quote:

In 1995 he and Sacks published a book called The Diversity Myth, in which they argued that in the campus context, “those persons complaining about oppression are generally not the ones to have experienced it firsthand.” In one disturbing passage they come to the defense of a law student friend who in 1992 had shouted an antigay slur outside the cottage of a gay resident fellow as a protest against campus speech codes. The authors argue that the law student’s near-universal execration afterward, official and unofficial, was disproportionate to his offense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

max👏zorin👏did👏nothing👏wrong👏

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender

Nanomashoes posted:

oh i dont trust khanna i just trust CC even less.

Him doing good is more proof that the overton window is shifting leftwards and people are gonna start adopting medicare for all and free college cynically to get elected, which is not the worst thing in the world as long as people primary them if they fail to actually do those once in power.

overton window shifting left is good but my fear is that he'll try to grab the progressive torch once bernie kicks it. men like khanna and newsome are dangerous for the nascent left

alsothere has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Oct 10, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Khanna bamboozles so many people because every Dem voter is used to soulless principle-free smooth-talking Dem politicians shifting their stances and rhetoric to appeal to the NYT op ed page instead of voters.

His best comparison isn't a Democrat but rather every Republican who campigned on banning gay marriage or abortion or stem cell research because that fired up evangelical voters but never actually gave a poo poo about that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/917520987469565953

jesus loving christ

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
us politics is like being tied to a railroad track or something like that

"oh hey look here comes zuck fuckerburg or ro khanna or some other black eyed obviously evil psychopath and this person is going to be elected to a high office in a few years and the world is going to turn into more of a plutocratic shithole and basically it's just inevitable. ho hum."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/quixem/status/917555057528397824

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol a dumb compromise that will piss off everyone

good job

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ashivkum/status/917527637626560512

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Zaid Jilani has an avatar of a blonde-haired blue eyed white child and loves the south

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Office Pig posted:

Zaid Jilani has an avatar of a blonde-haired blue eyed white child and loves the south

I'm not going to read too much into another Intercept journalist succumbing to liberal brain disease.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

Hillary for Space Colony Despot

Hillary and the evil woman from Elysium have a lot in common. Wears pantsuits, doesn't think poor people should have healthcare, was destroyed by a deranged man she thought she could control

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
high five for the zuck!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

why would these dumbasses hire this shithead for their “liberal” advocacy media biz?

https://twitter.com/tvietor08/status/917403535364513793

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/911292568737947650

idk, it's a nice change of pace from seeing respectable conservatives trot out david frum, david brooks, and bill kristol's rag? (by the way, this is a real thing)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bilirubin posted:

Its also soul destroying work to do on the ground. :smith:

:agreed: I did my time for the Tony Sanchez Campaign, in 2002-2003 in Texas. It made me realize how worthless the "democrats" were.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Khanna is putting Feinstein on blast. That immediately makes him a better Dem than most.

Also, Mike Honda shouldn't have done stupid as poo poo to get himself embroiled in a corruption scandal.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/09/dianne-feinstein-primary-challenge-ro-khanna-243605

Ro Khanna posted:

“She was totally out of touch when the whole debate happened on encryption,’’ that occurred between Apple and law enforcement officials in the wake of the San Bernardino terrorist massacre, he said. “She didn’t even understand some of those issues."

"She hasn’t been a strong advocate on privacy, she hasn’t been strong on civil liberties, she hasn’t been strong in terms of standing up to our foreign policy interventions around the world,’’ he said, describing her views as “hawkish.”

“And most recently, she has not embraced a move toward 'Medicare for All,’ and bold economic policies,’’ he said.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm confused by the use of progressive in American Media. Baddems like the Pod Save Bros say they are progressive, the media says progressives like Bernie don't like baddems. What is what in this language?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'm confused by the use of progressive in American Media. Baddems like the Pod Save Bros say they are progressive, the media says progressives like Bernie don't like baddems. What is what in this language?

there's two kinds of bad dem, clinton bad dems and obama bad dems

obama bad dems are "progressive" in the sense that they're flat-out centrists while clinton bad dems are conservatives

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirk Pitt posted:

Progressive now just means you don't want to murder poor people, at home or abroad.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Frijolero posted:

Progressive now just means you don't want to murder poor people, at home or abroad.

Remove the "or abroad" part and you have Clinton Dems.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

Words have no meaning in this country. You can take any word you like and use it however you want for your own agenda and forever annihilate political coherence for the sake of cynical opportunism.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Social democrat? Progressive. Neocon austerity fanatic sans genocidal rhetoric? Progressive. Perpetual killing machine? Very progressive.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
little known fact: ro also ran for congress in 2004 on anti-war platform, losing badly in primary. here's part of his platform in those old days

quote:

“We need to invest in cutting edge technology and in worker training programs to ensure that Silicon Valley reinvents itself and remains the Florence of the American economy.”
-— Ro Khanna

Over 11% of Bay Area workers have lost their jobs in the past three years. Even though there are signs of economic recovery, workers and recent graduates are still finding it very difficult to find jobs that are satisfying and that are decent paying. We need a long term strategy to promote economic growth. We need to create opportunities for business who will in turn create jobs. We cannot return to the old Democratic ways of special interest politics or to the failed policies of supply side economics. Instead, we need to expand on the economic growth policies of the Clinton Administration.

Fiscal Responsibility
We need to roll back portions of the Bush tax cuts that are targeted at the very wealthy and eliminate wasteful corporate subsidies. We also should internationalize the force in Iraq to save the billions of dollars that we are spending every month. We should use the savings to pay down the national debt and lower interest rates, and also to invest in education, worker training, health care, and other national priorities.

Invest in Expanding Our Knowledge Base
Government support for research and development has decreased from .6% of GDP in the 1960s to .38% in 2000. Recently, the Bush administration has cut funding for energy research by 5.4% and proposed only a modest 3.4% increase in the National Science Foundation Budget. We need to double the National Science Foundation Budget, invest in a cyberinfrastructure program, provide grants to universities for research in biotechnology and nanotechnology, and expand the research and development tax credit.

Empowering Workers
We need to make sure that workers who lose their jobs have the resources to get a better paying job and to maintain their standard of living while they are searching for a job. We should provide scholarships to dislocated workers for job training and invest in public sector organizations (alliances between industry and unions) that train and retool individuals. We should also make sure that every unemployed worker receives health insurance and should create a universal pension system, allowing them to transfer their pensions into a 401k.

Small Business
Small businesses create jobs. One of the biggest challenges for small businesses is access to capital. Venture capitalists often focus on deals worth millions of dollars and do not fund small businesses. First, we need to increase the loans that government provides to small business that have a grace period for several months. Second, we need to simplify forms that businesses are required to file with the federal government to eliminate paperwork. Third, we should also subsidize the purchase of employee health insurance by firms that have less than 50 employees.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
who gives a poo poo if he votes for all the poo poo he talks about

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

how could he possibly worse than feinstein, or is this just because he is pakistani? idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Neeksy posted:

Remove the "or abroad" part and you have Clinton Dems.

i dont think at home applies for them either

• Locked thread