Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

e: Who's won a Gnoll yet? How do you handle lategame?

I loaded up on int and threw firestorms. I went with Ash, so it might not apply with most other gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Akett posted:

I loaded up on int and threw firestorms. I went with Ash, so it might not apply with most other gods.

With Vehumet and a robe you can get the L6-L8 spells quickly, and switch into some armour later. Magical staff melee is great too, you get a decent delay and damage fairly quickly and have your choice of elements.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sigh, I give up. I've never been able to get loving trunk working with apt on linux. It's like I'm typing it in wrong somehow so it just reverts back to Ubuntu's old .17. Guess I'll just have to wait.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

I literally thought about posting "Wow, Gnolls are super fun, I hope they don't get removed/horribly altered" but then I didn't, just in case that would make someone remove them. But I guess we're talking about it now.

e: Who's won a Gnoll yet? How do you handle lategame?

I usually only do 5 runes but shadow creatures was good on both my wins

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

How do manuals interact with gnolls?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

How do manuals interact with gnolls?

+12

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

But wouldn't that bring one skill above the rest, destroying your fearful symmetry?

Not worth it IMO.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I mean you already have whatever skills your background gives you as higher level than your other skills, so

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

someone awful. posted:

I mean you already have whatever skills your background gives you as higher level than your other skills, so

I demand total balance. TOTAL BALANCE. Gnolls should automatically focus-train any skill that is not tied for highest (so that, eventually, its extra share lets it catch up).

Even I don't know if I'm serious.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Looking for a bit of advice on this character. I've been playing this game off and on for years, but I've never won. So trying to go for a 3 rune run with a MiBe, and this one seems like it has potential: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/catfork/catfork.txt

BUT I've run into Lerny in the Swamp, so I don't think that is doable yet. Trying to work through Snake Pit but it's slow going...

Do I pump up my MR and go try and level a bit on Elf 1-4? Or?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'd switch back to the rF plate that you're already packing and switch out the buckler for the large shield because you aren't dealing with Slime just yet. Ditch that randart ring you're wearing right now because the only benefit it's providing to you is +MR over a ring of ice and -3 Int is playing with brainlessness in short order if you aren't careful. If you are looking for more damage you can switch to two-hand axes (that vampiric battleaxe would be my choice of the lot) and put on that ring of poison resistance to cover during Snake/Swamp but what you've got there is fine.

Berserking more often will also boost your DPS. Using your invocations more often in general is going to help: Trog's Hand also provides a pip in MR if you're that worried about it in addition to regen. And MR is not incredibly important in Elf; typically you're either dealing damage to them at range, putting somebody else directly in the line of fire so they can't cast the Hex in the first place, or lurking in the corners of corridors so all you need to is step close once and smash them dead. You can get by with two to three pips.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

so, uh

is xom supposed to be able to open runed doors, or...?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I haven't played this game in a couple years but I got the itch. Who's got the current hotness for an RCfile I can copy? I think I used to use Marvin-somethings RCfile.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Go online tiles, unless you save scum. It's totally painless now and almost identical.

Edit: and play gnolls in trunk

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't believe they nerfed ogres
Also hi

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
15-runed a gnoll of Vehumet in my traditional FE style. The best part of gnolls is that your defenses and melee capabilities keep up, making you flexible. I had less offense, but more HP and defenses than I would have otherwise.

The race gets pretty hard right around when it's time to get runes IMHO--the initial boost has worn off and your skills are around 10-11, compared to like 16 Conj/Fire for a typical DEFE.

I keep going back and forth about whether Tm is a good choice. Like, it shuts you out of weapons, which isn't great, because your skills are all going up at the same time.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

Also hi

Hey

I wish Giant Clubs apt was still plus 3 but I enjoy the Ogre Mage revival.

Did they nerf them since then? Haven't played one in a while

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Serephina posted:

Sigh, I give up. I've never been able to get loving trunk working with apt on linux. It's like I'm typing it in wrong somehow so it just reverts back to Ubuntu's old .17. Guess I'll just have to wait.

How to play crawl online via console (ASCII) :

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto

How to play crawl online via tiles:

http://crawl.develz.org

Lawman 0 posted:

Also hi

Blame Minmay for that. :)

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Why on earth would you nerf ogres

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They didn't nerf them. They shuffled their apts so that ogres were better at most magic but significantly worse with maces. The logic being that ogres basically always used giant clubs no matter what so by nerfing their skill with them and buffing their other apts, there would be more variety. Its a nerf if you played brainless smashing ogres but there was never much point to doing that when you could just roll a minotaur or troll instead.

Its something I agree with in theory but I don't think ogres are strong enough that you needed to nerf them to add those other buffs. Also it creates a weird situation where the only two species that can use giant clubs (ogres and trolls) are both bad with them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't even agree with it in theory, for the reasons you stated above.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

they wanted ogres to have more weapon variety in a world where merfolk still exist

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pacra posted:

How to play crawl online via console (ASCII) :
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto
How to play crawl online via tiles:
http://crawl.develz.org

I don't like online crawl, for a variety of reasons. I'd rather just have someone explain to me why I keep loving up the apt repositories when trying to find trunk.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ogres suck now and I don't like it

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

I don't like online crawl, for a variety of reasons. I'd rather just have someone explain to me why I keep loving up the apt repositories when trying to find trunk.

I don't have a Linux based system so I can't really help, but if you got to ##crawl-dev somebody should be available to walk you through whatever might be causing an issue with install.

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

Hi friend. I just built crawl on a recently-installed xubuntu so the steps I took might help you:

1. Install git if you don't have it:
code:
sudo apt install git
2. Use git to clone (download) the crawl repo:
code:
git clone https://github.com/crawl/crawl.git
3. Install the dependencies:
code:
sudo apt install build-essential libncursesw5-dev bison flex liblua5.1-0-dev libsqlite3-dev libz-dev pkg-config libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-dev libfreetype6-dev libpng-dev ttf-dejavu-core
4. cd into the newly-created source directory:
code:
cd crawl/crawl-ref/source/
5. Build crawl. The '-j 3' is to do a parallel build to speed things up a bit, but you can leave it out because the build actually doesn't take that long:
code:
make TILES=y -j 3
6. Gnoll away
code:
./crawl
Shoutout to the instructions in INSTALL.txt that spell all of this out. The problem there is that the instructions are too complete so you have to know which sections apply to you.

Itaipava fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 8, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Why even call them ogres at this point?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
because they're huge fat dudes?

being good at learning anything isn't part of what ogres are about, flavor wise. giant clubs are still really good. hell, trolls don't have a single positive stat and their fighting stat is -2, that doesn't mean it's bad for them to train unarmed and fighting or that beating things to death isn't the core idea of trolls. extreme cases aside apts aren't that important

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mean that's fair enough, but it makes no intuitive sense. I get the impression that there will be no compromise between people who say "this nerf made no sense thematically for a race that always favors clubs" and people who say "The numbers are OK though."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One could argue that thematically it was wrong for ogres to be good at anything in the first place.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

IronicDongz posted:

because they're huge fat dudes?

being good at learning anything isn't part of what ogres are about, flavor wise. giant clubs are still really good. hell, trolls don't have a single positive stat and their fighting stat is -2, that doesn't mean it's bad for them to train unarmed and fighting or that beating things to death isn't the core idea of trolls. extreme cases aside apts aren't that important

Trolls actually have unarmed as their highest apt at 0.

Ogres at least recently got their other melee weapon apts significantly improved (i.e. short blades + long blades from -3 to -1, axes from -3 to 0), so the idea of "you may not just want to chase after the GSC dream" remains intact.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
But you're almost always gonna use a GSC anyways because playing an ogre is basically your only chance to do so.

Maybe we need another B I G race.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
give us playable yetis

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bring back Giants

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The devs bring back HE but rename them Giant Elves. Their magic apts are reduced severely, but they have a +1 m&f apt and can wield GSCs.

A finger on the monkey's paw curls closed.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Give Formicids the ability to wield GSCs and no shield.

Allow GSC-wielding by any race at ****** of Jivya piety.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually just add dancing weapons as a player species. Don't just wield a GSC, become one.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

New Level 7 Transfiguration spell: Snakes to Sticks

Temporarily changes the caster into a dancing giant spiked club of venom. Enchantment scales with spellpower. Only castable by Naga.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually just add dancing weapons as a player species. Don't just wield a GSC, become one.
XL1: Club.
XL7: Giant club.
XL14: Giant spiked club.

It's just crazy enough to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
put back in pakellas but instead of gifting rods he gifts clubs and gives you the ability to wield them

• Locked thread