Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

When Koei Tecmo and Warner Brothers Interactive team up one day to do a Lord of the Rings Warriors game the roster will still be hosed because for some reason WB won't allow them to put in Tom Bombadil as a playable character.

We already had an LotR Battlefront game and a third person Diablo style game, I really don't want to see any more Middle Earth unless it's an Infinity Engine style RPG or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't voice acting actually one of the biggest monkey sinks in triple AAA games? I seem to recall reading that once. Having professional voice actors read even a few lines costs a hefty sum.

One of the last Iwata Asks ever was about Xenoblade Chronicles X and how Iwata gave his best General Pepper impression when he saw the invoice for how much the voice acting (at least the Japanese voice acting) cost them.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't voice acting actually one of the biggest monkey sinks in triple AAA games? I seem to recall reading that once. Having professional voice actors read even a few lines costs a hefty sum.

Hey gamedevs, I'm perfectly okay with Phoenix wright bloops. Especially if it means more games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My favorite alternative voice acting is Don't Starve where each character is "voiced" by different instruments played in short bursts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't voice acting actually one of the biggest money sinks in triple AAA games? I seem to recall reading that once. Having professional voice actors read even a few lines costs a hefty sum.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking about when I made that earlier comment about voice acting and animation. Like, most of the scenes people made fun of in Mass Effect Andromeda were where you can tell they were stretched thin trying to make things cinematic. Once you have voice acting, you probably also have to worry about lipsync animation, and there's all sorts of cascading expenses that follow from it.

NieR: Automata had like a fraction of BioWare's budget and yet there are things in that game that resonated with me even though in terms of narrative depiction it was literally just static models and unvoiced scrolling text with music

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's a new star wars trailer and it implies a lot of spoilers but it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

:allears:

Anyway, I like the ice foxes but I'm not big on the little penguin critter. Maybe it'll grow on me.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

why do you show me these things

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sure, watching a human actor play Rey is cool, but I can become her and kill a few clone troopers before being blown up instantly by artillery in Star Wars Battlefront II (the new one)

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
and on that note, what IS the deal with all of these star wars??????

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t know but they sure sound tiring

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Holy poo poo I'm in the last area of Silent Hill 3 and just learned you can block. gently caress.

e: Ah, great. I died to an instant death trap. Right when I was going to say the haunted mansion was a cool scripted area.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oddium posted:

God drat they really telegraph the hell out of that spoiler

I mean I can only hope they subvert it but drat probably not

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

al-azad posted:

Holy poo poo I'm in the last area of Silent Hill 3 and just learned you can block. gently caress.

e: Ah, great. I died to an instant death trap. Right when I was going to say the haunted mansion was a cool scripted area.
Another satisfied visitor to Borley's. :spooky:
Borley's has a new death trap at the higher difficulties. It is so great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_UqLMK83U

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can add Michigan: Report From Hell as another great PS2 horror game even if it's more of a campy entry than actually scary at all

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Feel like I should play Luigi's Mansion this October as that seems like a p spook game while also being chill and easy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
luigi's mansion is one of the best gamecube games ever made

hell, so is wario world

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

luigi's mansion is insanely good

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I never played Dark Moon, did that turn out alright?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

In Training posted:

You can add Michigan: Report From Hell as another great PS2 horror game even if it's more of a campy entry than actually scary at all
Must have been great to be able to scream like Brisco all the time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

luigi's mansion is one of the best gamecube games ever made

hell, so is wario world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfRO1yxaXs

I need to make this my ring tone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive! posted:

I never played Dark Moon, did that turn out alright?

it seemed ok but all i've heard says it's competent but kind of lost everything that made the original interesting, boos are just regular enemies and you go to a bunch of different mansions instead of crawling around a single recognizable one

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it seemed ok but all i've heard says it's competent but kind of lost everything that made the original interesting, boos are just regular enemies and you go to a bunch of different mansions instead of crawling around a single recognizable one

And this is why I think it's a stronger game. It's more puzzle focused with a larger variety of gameplay. And while I'm sure nobody plays it online anymore it had a decent co-op mode, very reminiscent of Nox if I can drag that title back from the dead. Like imagine Gauntlet with Nintendo characters.

Luigi's Mansion was clearly a test bed for ideas and it's shorter and more focused but completely shallow. Dark Moon is more focused and puzzle-y but at the expense of some of the freedom the original gives you. I'd still recommend both but the sequel edges out a little more for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Raxivace posted:

Any of those ps2 horror games particularly stand out?

I'm almost through the list of ones I already wanted to play, and could use some recommendations.

fatal frame 2 is real good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I didn't mind the multiple mansions thing but also I got real bored of it because every mansion is built around a specific gimmick rather than just being a cool big space to explore, kinda almost like less interesting zelda dungeons. also every mansion is broken up into like a half dozen missions and its always the same thing, like one mission for each part of the mansion and then a final mission that's the whole thing and its very formulaic

the multiplayer mode is real cool though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Thanks, healbot. No Frame Restorers challenge completed. Of course the final boss was at full power. Boy was that a fun opening salvo of several attacks at once. Emeralda was dominating everything up to this boss, but she couldn't break 2000 with her attacks. Her going Infinity at 5% was a great help, since the angel hands (not pictured), started attacking 4-6 times for a couple thousand each.

Anime Protagonism.

That felt so good after seeing her keep Ramsus alive to Mirror Stance forever.

I can't wait to try the new things I can do without the rodent and having no limitations, in several years.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 10, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Hey gamedevs, I'm perfectly okay with Phoenix wright bloops. Especially if it means more games.

I actually prefer bloops over voice acting most of the time. A lot of game dialogue comes down to reading text while the characters do a canned animation; adding voice acting to that just feels so sluggish since you can read the text in less than half the time it takes for them to read out. Voice acting during gameplay and important emotive moments, text everywhere else imo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good voice acting can do a lot for characterization in some games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pigbuster posted:

I actually prefer bloops over voice acting most of the time. A lot of game dialogue comes down to reading text while the characters do a canned animation; adding voice acting to that just feels so sluggish since you can read the text in less than half the time it takes for them to read out. Voice acting during gameplay and important emotive moments, text everywhere else imo.

I'm split because if I'm playing single player than text is fine and lets you move faster, but if you're playing with multiple people timing the text presses so everybody can read but its not too slow is hard, and having an auto-play voice is perfect for that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

good voice acting can do a lot for characterization in some games

For example Nep.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A Hat in Time has an equippable badge that turns all the voice acting into the mumbles of yore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am OK with the JRPG model of having the most important scenes being fully voice-acted and then having the rest of it be unvoiced. Just sprinkle enough around that I get a feel for what the character sounds like and what personality their voice conveys. That way you can have substories or side-quests that can actually have some meaty narrative content without having to book another hour of recording time and rigging a bunch of facial animations every time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CJacobs posted:

A Hat in Time has an equippable badge that turns all the voice acting into the mumbles of yore.

it's hosed up cause some of the voice acting is actually much more hilarious than just doing banjo-kazooie mumbles

i was actually really surprised with how good the voice acting in a hat in time is on average, the only sort of iffy one is scottish owl guy if you can't get behind him constantly talking in the same thick accent drawing out every line

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 10, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also I'm annoyed with my ISP because I got a new modem and it was working perfectly fine with much better upload than I usually get... but today it had to be registered on their website and now it is back to what the other one had. These people know that I pay for good internet, right? And that I just had twice the speed they say I should be getting, much closer to what I actually pay for? They know they're not fooling me, right? idk maybe if I threaten to go somewhere else they'll do something that makes sense for once.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like when games will just have like one word voice acted when a text box pops up, like the dude is thinking about something and you just hear the voice actor go "Hmmm...", as long as they don't use it too much. octopath does it for every single dialogue box and that is Too Much

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Also I'm annoyed with my ISP because I got a new modem and it was working perfectly fine with much better upload than I usually get... but today it had to be registered on their website and now it is back to what the other one had. These people know that I pay for good internet, right? And that I just had twice the speed they say I should be getting, much closer to what I actually pay for? They know they're not fooling me, right? idk maybe if I threaten to go somewhere else they'll do something that makes sense for once.

I am not sure you have grasped how the ISPs work, in wondrous capitalism.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm split because if I'm playing single player than text is fine and lets you move faster, but if you're playing with multiple people timing the text presses so everybody can read but its not too slow is hard, and having an auto-play voice is perfect for that.

Read the dialogue out loud. Bonus if you do an impression of the character

homeless snail posted:

I like when games will just have like one word voice acted when a text box pops up, like the dude is thinking about something and you just hear the voice actor go "Hmmm...", as long as they don't use it too much. octopath does it for every single dialogue box and that is Too Much

Ooh, we can do this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37UzjyZ0_4I

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Games being cheaper to make isn't going to even stop game companies trying to bleed you dry, so you might as well enjoy pretty graphics and good voice acting rather than hoping sending games back to the N64 era will fix the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

I am not sure you have grasped how the ISPs work, in wondrous capitalism.

No I get that they're scummy fuckheads, what I'm saying is that even with them being scummy fuckheads, I should be getting better upload speeds than I am as I very clearly found out yesterday. Even after the part where they don't give me what I pay for because they're scummy fuckheads, it is then further reduced beyond scummy fuckhead-levels. What I got yesterday is what it normally should be even with them being scummy fuckheads.

• Locked thread