Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the direction Obsidian has gone in recent years, my theory is that Chris might have teamed up with them again to do a remake of Fallout 2 using the Unity Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd be okay with that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Avellone seems to have a big problem with how things are done at Obsidian.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

frajaq posted:

Fallout New Vegas 2, smaller than the first one but more focused, written by Avellone and made by ??? while the main Bethesda team works on their main ~~secret projects~~

yeah sure, I could see that

from what I recall, one of Bethsoft's stips for FONV was that it couldn't meaningfully affect the east coast, that was Bethsoft's turf, so I'd just as soon imagine that all FO games going forward are going to be in the northeast, maybe Chicago too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anyway, given that Avellone's got an established freelance relationship with Zenimax via Prey the most likely answer is that he's on in some capacity for FO5. I guess the question is whether he'll be doing ancillary character script punching as in Prey or whether he'll be doing full-on design. If he's still committed to sowing his wild oats across the mid-budget indie spectrum I'd assume the former.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rinkles posted:

Avellone seems to have a big problem with how things are done at Obsidian.

well he quit and has been subtweeting them since so yeah

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Berke Negri posted:

well he quit and has been subtweeting them since so yeah

What's subtweeting

Is it sexual?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, I can't get excited about Avellone. His writing always comes off as impossibly pretentious to me, and the parts of New Vegas he was associated with I mostly didn't like. I mean, it was kind of the point of Ulysses that he was completely up his own rear end, but it didn't make his preachy rambling any more enjoyable. Especially since he was pretty much the only character in Lonesome Road.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway, given that Avellone's got an established freelance relationship with Zenimax via Prey the most likely answer is that he's on in some capacity for FO5. I guess the question is whether he'll be doing ancillary character script punching as in Prey or whether he'll be doing full-on design. If he's still committed to sowing his wild oats across the mid-budget indie spectrum I'd assume the former.

I've listened to some of his interviews post departure, and he very clearly values the creative freedom and challenge of working on multiple projects, and just being allowed to do what he does best. He detested being bogged down by the corporate process at Obsidian. He's not joining a studio unless they offered him something very special (I think).

If it is a new FO game, who's making it?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Backhand posted:

Eh, I can't get excited about Avellone. His writing always comes off as impossibly pretentious to me, and the parts of New Vegas he was associated with I mostly didn't like. I mean, it was kind of the point of Ulysses that he was completely up his own rear end, but it didn't make his preachy rambling any more enjoyable. Especially since he was pretty much the only character in Lonesome Road.

It was easy to spot his character and influence in Pillars of Eternity for this very reason. Avellone is a good writer, but his voice by and large is too "distinct" to write good, varied characters.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Had it occurred to anyone that Avellone might be working on some mod material for sale on the creation club? It would boost opinion of the club, get die hard Fallout fans on board and give Avellone a revenue stream as well. Seems the obvious thing to me.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

It was easy to spot his character and influence in Pillars of Eternity for this very reason. Avellone is a good writer, but his voice by and large is too "distinct" to write good, varied characters.

Avellone wrote New Reno in Fallout 2. Planescape: Torment was filled with jokes. Avellone was the lead on Old World Blues, which was the most comedic of the New Vegas DLCs. The idea that Avellone only writes esoteric, wordy pseudo-philosophical stuff is kind of a false meme. I haven't played Prey yet so I don't know what his contributions are to that, but I think he has a fair amount of variety and good ideas still left.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

chaosapiant posted:

Had it occurred to anyone that Avellone might be working on some mod material for sale on the creation club? It would boost opinion of the club, get die hard Fallout fans on board and give Avellone a revenue stream as well. Seems the obvious thing to me.

That would be sensible.

So no, next on the Fallout 4 Creation Club! Multiple color schemes for 10 mm guns! More Horse Armor! More random crap from other games!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hey did they ever fix that glitch where one of the Nuka recipes falls through the world in the Nuka World DLC? I was thinking of finishing that DLC after not touching this game for a year and then I remembered that glitch and got mad.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Basic Chunnel posted:

from what I recall, one of Bethsoft's stips for FONV was that it couldn't meaningfully affect the east coast, that was Bethsoft's turf, so I'd just as soon imagine that all FO games going forward are going to be in the northeast, maybe Chicago too.

I'd play the poo poo out of Fallout: Windy City.

Especially if the Midwest still has loving weather. Something that isn't desert please god.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

prometheusbound2 posted:

Avellone wrote New Reno in Fallout 2. Planescape: Torment was filled with jokes. Avellone was the lead on Old World Blues, which was the most comedic of the New Vegas DLCs. The idea that Avellone only writes esoteric, wordy pseudo-philosophical stuff is kind of a false meme. I haven't played Prey yet so I don't know what his contributions are to that, but I think he has a fair amount of variety and good ideas still left.

He also wrote Cass in New Vegas, who's a down-to-earth drunken caravan rider, and iirc all the NPCs in Mojave Outpost who are pretty straightforward. Lanius is more in what's considered to be The Avellone Style, but the failed speech checks you get with him are pretty funny, they're all "well see uh, the thing I'm saying is, like,"

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Sometime last week I passed the 1500 hour mark in this game. I'm still pretty amazed that so many people are so vocal about how much they hate this game, or hate Bethesda, or whatever else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Sometime last week I passed the 1500 hour mark in this game. I'm still pretty amazed that so many people are so vocal about how much they hate this game, or hate Bethesda, or whatever else.

I don't hate FO4 but I keep bouncing off it. I originally bought it for PS4 and gave up before finishing, I recently bought it again for PC figuring it would be better there. It is a lot more enjoyable on PC but I still find it hard to really get engrossed. The landscape is pretty much indistinguishable from any other FO game and the way Terminator armour is handled turns me off.

All that said I really do wanna finish it, but I hope the next game is drastically different. I don't think the same Bethesda formula/engine is gonna cut it. FO4 is as far as they can stretch the Oblivion open world model.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

It's an issue of expectations and disappointment at story more than anything else, at least for me. I've got just shy of 600 in FONV and still do a big play session (that turns into a play-through about one time in two) every year or so. FO4 I only just barely got past 150 and that was after DLC, loving around building a fort to store all my power armor, AND an abortive survival playthrough that I got maybe 30 hours into. 150 hours is plenty of game and I'm not pissed off I bought it or anything, but once I uninstalled it I knew I wouldn't be coming back barring something really huge.

Maybe it's not fair to expect it to hold up favorably when compared to the kind of game that people still play 7 years after it released, but fair or not that's the franchise it's in so that's where comparisons are going to go.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

You can fully explore the game in maybe 100 hours, but what are other 1400 hours? Building giant dicktowers?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

F04 is the game you'll spend 500 hours learning you hate.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

What the hell have you been doing to squeeze out 2 months from this game :|

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Time spent, doesn't mean time enjoyed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The core gameplay loop of FO4, just like Skyrim, is perfectly fine and even good if you want to be kind.

Too bad about literally everything but shooting poo poo and stealing garbage.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
It took me 2 years to finish a complete playthrough, but I sure as hell wasnt playing every month

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The core gameplay loop of FO4, just like Skyrim, is perfectly fine and even good if you want to be kind.

Too bad about literally everything but shooting poo poo and stealing garbage.

I've spent 965 hours shooting poo poo and stealing garbage in Fallout 4. Also: Fallout 4 is a bad game. It has bland characters, a paint by numbers "plot", terrible voice acting, simplistic factions with mundane ideologies, and consequence-free decision making. The only way I've gotten nearly 1,000 hours out of it is by modding the hell out of it on a regular basis.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The only thing really extraordinary about FO4 is that for some drat reason no-one else is making games of that exact genre anymore and so they cornered the market.

I mean, they basically just ripped of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and made it mainstream; surely there's some game exec that could be persuaded to fund this poo poo?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Because it's hard to inject loot boxes and card advancement into it. Source:BF2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I mean, they basically just ripped of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and made it mainstream; surely there's some game exec that could be persuaded to fund this poo poo?
The mainstreaming of great games, even great mainstreaming, doesn't always pay dividends. Just look at the performance of Bethsoft's sister studio Arkane

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Anyone saying the game is straight up bad after dropping 1k+ hours into it is either lying to themselves or is a broken human being who plays a game they don't even like for fun. Please admit to yourself that it is a really good game that you enjoy despite its flaws so you can begin the healing process.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
There's a difference between a bad game and a game one doesn't like. Argument completely eviscerated. Sorry for your loss.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Pyromancer posted:

You can fully explore the game in maybe 100 hours, but what are other 1400 hours? Building giant dicktowers?

jisforjosh posted:

What the hell have you been doing to squeeze out 2 months from this game :|

Well, how to even explain it. . . I played through the game once without mods, and I took a good long time to do so, getting around to everything I could, and loving around with settlements like crazy. Then I modded the poo poo out of it and played through again getting even more poo poo done (or "not getting other poo poo done in my life" is more accurate). Then I put the game down until all the DLCs came out - I had the urge to play again with Nuka World, and I've played the game off and on ever since. And I get wrapped up in it. Not so much wrapped up in the game, but wrapped up in the act of playing the game and just doing poo poo in the game, if that makes any sense.

I don't even know how many playthroughs I've done since then - at least 5 complete playthroughs and a bunch of aborted ones. I definitely got my money's worth on thAT first playthrough, and at a certain point later on - I may have even posted about it in this thread - I couldn't figure out why I was still playing this game. At the same time, though, I was still having fun. I even just started a new playthrough a few days ago with the express intention of not "cheating" at all and using only goofy and/or cosmetic mods. And it's been fun still.

And, yeah; I've built a lot of stupid, elaborate settlement nonsense. Things like a three story high solid wall of gunner traps on one end of a gigantic enclosure opposite equally high banks of heavy laser and missile turrets at Starlight Drive in, with a pushbutton system that powers up the turrets, shuts the access door, and opens up the gunner cages with one push and then powers down the turrets and opens up the access door with another push so that I can go in and collect all of the legendaries. I tried to also have trap doors that would collect the bodies and convey them down to the meat packing machine, but I couldn't really ever get the trap doors to work. I did get the firework machines to work automatically when I used the pushbutton, though. That was - not as exciting as I had imagined.

And my god all of the time figuring out how to not make settlements a pain in the rear end. I did it, finally; but to get to that point I had to really abandon the notion that a big network of large settlements would produce a lot of income - they just don't. It isn't worth it. You're better off having 28 settlements of just 2-3 people and leaving them alone, and then loving around with one or two bigger settlements just for the hell of it - if that, even. No mods really change this aspect of the game. The dude that built Sim Settlements continues to put out an amazing amount of time and effort into his project, but using that mod you still end up loving around with your settlements almost as much as you would without the mod, and I don';t think the results are particularly aesthetically pleasing. I mean, it really is great work, but I can't really say it's enjoyable. I don't think I use any mods at all that affect the settlement system or building in them; just plain old vanilla is best there. Maybe I'll build up Vault 88 and the Castle, but that's about it. Supply lines are only an excuse to build unkillable dual-laser gatling wielding sentry bots to travel the world. If you get enough of these running around you run across them in the world pretty frequently, and they just murder everything in pretty funny ways.

I tried playing Skyrim again when the special edition came out, since I got it for free. I can't play it. It's just not "fun" after I've beaten it twice. It takes itself too seriously. Even without mods, Fallout 4 just has more goofy, entertaining nonsense in it.A lot of people say Fallout 4 isn't an RPG really, and I don't disagree with the reasoning. But as far as "real" RPGs that are serious in tone go, Witcher 3 has set the bar so high that I can't even tolerate anything else. But Fallout 4 resides in a totally different space for me. I just - like it a lot, I guess.

I get some kind of satisfaction from finding ways to not grind the grindy parts of the game but yet totally ignoring the main quest as much as possible. I can't even necessarily say that I've been changing my playstyle on subsequent playthroughs, other than the one where I went melee / Nuka World raider boss and didn't even go to concord. But even then I played "sneaky sneaky stabby stabby in VATS" instead of "sneaky sneaky headshot headshot in VATS." And I use VATS like mad. I don't think I could really enjoy the game without VATS, to be honest. It would just be a pain in the rear end. VATS is goofy, and goofy is good to me in Fallout 4. I was kind of surprised to see 1500 hours played. I thought for sure I'd played Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 more across different platforms - but, nope. Fallout 4. At this point I doubt I've played ANY game this much other than maybe Red Alert 2, or maybe World of Tanks, and I just have no way of tracking that. Maybe Morrowind? I doubt that seriously, though.

Last night, right before I made the above post here, I was looking at Steam reviews for this game. Who the gently caress knows why I was doing that; maybe I was just looking to be entertained by the recent review bombings. But what really struck me most was the passionate vitriol on display towards the game itself by people who love the earlier games, especially FNV. I mean, full confession; I thought Fallout 3 was loving unplayable and I just don't like FNV. That first statement isn't controversial but the second one might be for some people. I'm certainly not going to make a case for why I don't like FNV and I'm not going to evangelize for Fallout 4 - the people that don't like it just don't like it. But what I can't figure out is why I like it as much as I obviously do. I keep seeing criticism and Bethesda bashing, and I'll watch loving three hour long videos about how Bethesda is worse than Vault Tec, and I'll understand the well=thought out and reasoned complaints and not disagree with what people hold dear as their own subjective opinion, but still: I really enjoy the game. I'm probably going to continue to be entertained by the people that loving HATE it, both with and without good reason. It's an amazing social experiment to watch. In fact I do like to envision some Vault Tec strategy meetings over at Bethesda studios where they try to come up with insidious experiments to be tested out in their games on the Fanboybase. And I guess that makes me Clem - just happy to be here manning the soda fountain.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 9, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Anyone saying the game is straight up bad after dropping 1k+ hours into it is either lying to themselves or is a broken human being who plays a game they don't even like for fun. Please admit to yourself that it is a really good game that you enjoy despite its flaws so you can begin the healing process.

"How can this person say that a lovely fastfood hamburger is bad if they buy it over again??"

Yeah, sorry dude, you can enjoy trash and it will still remain trash.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

"How can this person say that a lovely fastfood hamburger is bad if they buy it over again??"

Yeah, sorry dude, you can enjoy trash and it will still remain trash.

Also, you can never, ever criticize something that you do enjoy. Criticism is to be limited solely to things that you hate utterly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
gently caress, I just had mediocre as poo poo pizza just now; I got it because

a) it was there and better options were not
b) even bad pizza is still pizza

I mean, FO4 isn't STALKER or Morrowind but it's still that rare creature, the FPRPG

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think it was a bad game, it just wasn't as good as its immediate predecessor in the series, and wasn't as good as other open world rpgs that were coming out around the same time. It also didn't help that I, and I think a lot of other people, were starting to feel burned out on giant open worlds with too much poo poo to do. Obviously if you're someone who's happy to play a game for a thousand hours you don't find that aspect of the game to be a drawback, but I was happier with having a smaller area with better quality in Far Harbor than I was with a giant world that was more uneven in the main game.

The settlement mechanic was pretty much wasted on me, though I do think it would be interesting to get a version that allowed you to settle the wilderness in an Elder Scrolls game. Adding more ugly buildings made out of rubble in the Fallout world full of ugly buildings made of rubble just didn't appeal to me aesthetically at all. My biggest hope for the future of the series is that they keep moving the timeline forward and continue with the rebirth of civilization theme (and repeating of the previous civilization's mistakes, naturally), so there's more of a chance that there will be areas that get cleaned up a bit. Obviously going too far in that direction runs the risk of changing the genre of the setting entirely, but choking back on it at this point would be pretty weird too, unless they just rebooted back to the early days of the vaults opening up.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have ps4 and bought some CC.
The horse power armor makes a really loud horse noise every time you get in it. You can also paint it hot pink. It makes me laugh pretty hard. It has a small related short story that made me giggle as well.
The backpack is amazing.
The Onyx/black power armor paint increases stealth. The chrome increases energy resistantance and takes an ungodly amount of nuclear material to make. Both look pretty good.
I also bought the furniture. The floors look great, and same with the beds. The chairs are poo poo and I hate them.

Whether you pay for it or hack the files, I really suggest that cool backpack. The +1 intelligence from the institute patch and the health regenerate from the medical set really helps on survival.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Eventually, after many iterations of Bethesda copying mods from previous games into their next one, we may actually get another good Fallout game.

As long it goes in the East Coast - West Coast - East Coast etc formula. Someone will finally make "New Vegas 2" and we'll be delivered to the promised land. :pray:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

LashLightning posted:

Eventually, after many iterations of Bethesda copying mods from previous games into their next one, we may actually get another good Fallout game.

As long it goes in the East Coast - West Coast - East Coast etc formula. Someone will finally make "New Vegas 2" and we'll be delivered to the promised land. :pray:

I'd prefer Seattle.

Because apparently a weather tower went crazy and the whole area is being slammed by massive, massive hurricanes 24/7, yet it's also full of scientists/folks that survive in it and the NCR REALLY wants to get past the superstorms so they can turn them off/gain the weather tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where's that from?

• Locked thread