Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Climb the rope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
That was a ridiculously abrupt ending.

Junpei posted:

Scorpion! I chose you!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Holy poo poo that actually worked?!

Scorpion, use Poison Sting!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't believe we got one of the only two good endings in this book

that means it's going to be a loving uphill climb from here on

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to let the scorpion finish off the Magician.

You hear the scorpion slither forward.

Go to it, you think. Eat the Magician. Crunch him to bits. Swallow him whole. Sting him with your poison stinger.

The scorpion slides past you, right up to the Magician.

You're going to enjoy this.

"Hey, pal," the scorpion greets the Magician.

Any minute now, you think.

"Ah, my old friend," the Magician answers. "How are you?"

This isn't going the way you imagined it.

"So what are we going to do with this pesky kid?" the scorpion asks the Magician.

"Wait!" you cry out. "I thought you were going to save me. This is the Scorpion Safetyway!"

"Sorry," the scorpion tells you. "But I'm off-duty."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Drank drugged milk and had our knees used as cooking ingredients.
Eaten by an elderly werewolf.
Argued with Sid for the entire one-hour time limit.
Had our throat torn out by a giant rat.
Accidentally turned into a dog by an extremely literal spell.
Horrifically devoured by a worm-tentacle-woman-thing.
:siren:Killed offscreen by a giant scorpion.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Use a spell to remove the cuffs.
  • Climb up the rope.
  • Hide in the crate.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Magic those cuffs open!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

It sounds more like we were killed off-screen by the magician there. Edit: Magician AND scorpion together, I meant.

Hide in the crate.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Climb that rope!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Captainicus posted:

Magic those cuffs open!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Okay, let's see if we can find a spell that will do the trick," you say. You're willing to try anything. You grab the small, gold-covered book from Joanie and skim the pages.

"It must be written in some kind of code," you say. "I've never seen words like this before."

"I bet I can read it," Joanie brags, grabbing the book back from you. "Let me have it."

"Fine, smarty-pants," you say. "Go ahead."

Joanie studies the book, turning the pages slowly. "It must be a foreign language," she says finally.

"Yeah, like Transylvanian," Sid jokes. "Maybe the English translation is in the back of the book.

Joanie flips to the back pages. "I think you're right," she says. "This looks like English."

You peer at the book over her shoulder. "Oh, right," you say sarcastically. You snatch the book back from her. "If this is English, then what does 'Ibin dos yaget nobis tagoo' mean?"

Unfortunately, you are about to find out.

quote:

Loud claps of thunder echo around the mall. The sky grows darker and darker. Huge cracks appear in the floor.

You watch in horror as a huge split in the tile moves toward you. Faster, faster -

"Look out!" you shout. You shove the Magic Book into the waistband of your pants. You try to outrun the widening gap but it's no use. You fall into the opening.

Your hands reach up for the edge, but the ground is shaking so much you can't get a good hold. You slide down deeper and deeper into the black hole. Your fingers scrape at the dirt along the sides. You try to find something to hold onto but there's nothing. The dirt crumbles away under your fingertips.

"Help!" you shout. But there is no one to help you.

You plunge into the earth's darkness, tumbling over, and over, and over.

quote:

"Wake up!" Someone is shouting into your ear.

You open your eyes. Sid is standing over you.

"What happened?" you ask. "Where are we?"

"I don't know," Sid answers. "Underground somewhere?"

You rise unsteadily to your feet. You notice Joanie sitting on the floor. She looks as if she just woke up.

You glance around. The walls of the room are painted black. A wooden coffin sits on a low table. Behind it is a black velvet curtain.

"Do you think there's another brick wall behind there, like there was back at the Magic Shop?" you joke.

"Only one way to find out," Sid says.

You walk up to the curtain, unsure of what may happen next. Before you can part the thick fabric, three men dressed in red tights somersault into the room.

They reach the center of the room and begin to juggle. Balls fly through the air, faster and faster. Then, to your amazement, the balls turn into balls of fire. One of the jugglers turns your way - and throws a glowing fireball right at you!

Oh, no! Do you know how to juggle?

If you can juggle, turn to PAGE 17.

If you can't juggle, turn to PAGE 28.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Killed offscreen by a giant scorpion.

Achievements
None yet.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Thank goodness it doesn't specify "if you can juggle well." I can juggle.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Well I can't.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
All thumbs, baby

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I can juggle...in a team with the floor and the wall, but yeah.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote gets it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I don't have that skill.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You can't juggle? That's okay. Not too many people can. It's really hard!

But this is a story about magic. So now, PRESTO! you can magically juggle!

quote:

"Look out!" you shout. The balls of fire speed toward you. You put your hands in front of your face. You catch a fireball and toss it back. Before you can take a breath, the jugglers throw another fireball at you. Once again, you manage to toss it back.

Why aren't my hands burning up? you wonder. You notice Sid and Joanie gazing at you in awe.

The jugglers surround you. Somehow you manage to return every ball they throw. As you toss the flaming balls in the air, the jugglers speak in eerie flat tones.

"We," says one juggler.

"Know," says the second.

"Who you are," says the third.

"What do you mean - yeowch!" It's hard to talk and juggle at the same time. You drop the fiery ball and - poof! - all the other balls vanish.

"You took the Magician's book," the first juggler says.

"The Magician wants it back," says the second.

"Then he'll eat you for dinner," says the third.

quote:

"Before we end up on the dinner menu," Sid interrupts the jugglers, "can you take off these cuffs?"

The first juggler somersaults over to Sid. He jiggles with the cuffs. They clatter to the floor.

"How did you do that?" you ask. When you and Sid tried to unlock the handcuffs it seemed impossible.

"It's a trick," the juggler answers. "Everything is a trick here."

Suddenly all three jugglers freeze.

"The Magician," they cry together. "He's coming!"

All three disappear in a puff of smoke.

quote:

The Magician will be here any minute!

"Those jugglers made it sound like we're goners," Sid whispers to you.

"Even if we give him back his book," Joanie adds glumly.

You've got to act fast. But you can't escape because you don't know where you are. Besides, there doesn't seem to be a normal door in this black room. Your only hope is to hide the book. Then the Magician will need you alive if he wants the book back.

"We've got to hide the book," you tell Sid and Joanie. "I'm going to put it in the coffin."

"No," Sid says. "It will be too easy to find. Let's look around."

You search the room for a hiding place. There isn't much choice. A wide shelf runs along one wall. On it sits a large fishbowl with three exotic fish and an old-fashioned metal birdcage with a yellow canary.

If you still think the coffin is the best place to hide the book, go to PAGE 101.

If you hide the book in the fishbowl, turn to PAGE 22.

If you put the book in the birdcage, turn to PAGE 132.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I appreciate the honesty of the book in its railroading.

Magic is for the birds.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fish are the most magical of creatures

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Okay, Sid, we'll stick this collection of bound paper into a transparent vessel filled with water and some fish poop. It'll be safe there.

quote:

You can't juggle? That's okay. Not too many people can. It's really hard!

But this is a story about magic. So now, PRESTO! you can magically juggle!

:3: My preteen, undiagnosed autistic flavour of clumsy past self would have been so comforted by this inclusive railroading.

Even starting off with the 'option' to strangle your sister acknowledges that you may want to act on your frustrations, but sometimes it's not a good idea. Take a time out and breathe, kid. You'll be okay.

This is a good book.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Honestly kind of scary at the scary parts, honestly kind of :3: at the :3: parts. Amazing how we went from Werewolf Woods to this.

The book we're trying to hide, though, is only fit to line a birdcage.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Did we just... get railroaded into survival?

Hide it in the fish bowl.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Fish bowl time

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

The Deviations posted:

Okay, Sid, we'll stick this collection of bound paper into a transparent vessel filled with water and some fish poop. It'll be safe there.

This is such a stupid idea we have to do it.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Maybe the fishbowl would be a good place to hide the Magic Book," you say. You walk over to the shelf and peer at the fishbowl. The fish stare back.

"No way," Joanie says. "It will be totally obvious."

"And the fish might get mad," Sid adds.

"I don't think that's going to happen," you tell them. You've just noticed the fish aren't real. They're just painted on the inside of the clear bowl. You reach into it.

And do a double-take. You can't believe what you see! Your hand becomes completely invisible inside the fishbowl! It disappears completely.

You test it again. You pull your hand out of the bowl, shake off the water, and then stick it back in. It disappears again. This is so cool!

"Hey, Joanie!" you shout. "Check this out!"

Joanie glances your way. You watch her eyes travel down your arm to the fishbowl. Her mouth drops when she notices that your hand appears to be gone!

Then you lift your arm out of the water. Joanie's eyes grow wide with terror. You glance down at the end of your arm where your hand should be.

"My hand," you gasp. "Where's my hand?"

quote:

A look of horror comes over Joanie's face as she stares at where your hand should be. Her eyes well up with tears.

"Here it is," you exclaim. You poke your hand out of your sweater. "Gotcha!" You double over, laughing.

"You have a really sick sense of humor," Joanie mutters. She sticks out her tongue and stomps away.

"Hey, now we know the book won't be seen if we put it in the fishbowl," you tell Sid. "Either the fishbowl or the water makes things invisible. We'd better put the book in something to keep it from getting wet. But what?"

Sid reaches into his pants pocket and pulls out a plastic bag. It has half of a peanut butter sandwich in it. He removes the sandwich and stuffs the whole thing into his mouth. "Here you go," he mumbles with his mouth full.

You take the Baggie from Sid and slip the book inside. Then you drop the Baggie into the fishbowl.

Joanie comes up beside you. She picks up a short black stick sitting on the shelf and taps it on the fishbowl.

"What do you think this is?" she asks.

"How should I know?" you snap. "Maybe it's the Magician's magic wand. Quit playing with it."

Joanie sticks the wand into the bowl and stirs.

Oh, no! Maybe she shouldn't have done that!

quote:

Joanie pulls the magic wand out of the fishbowl. You wait for something terrible to happen.

Nothing.

"It's neat the way the wand disappears when I stick it in the fishbowl," Joanie declares. She stirs the water again. "I can feel the Magic Book when I stir, but I can't see it," she adds, pulling the wet wand out of the water.

She puts the wand into the bowl a third time. She stirs so hard water splashes over the rim.

"Joanie, we have to - "

You never get a chance to finish what you were going to say. You hear a bubbling sound coming from the fishbowl. Then gurgling. Then WHOOSH! Water gushes out of the fishbowl. You glance at Sid. He stares at the running water.

Joanie shrieks and drops the wand. Water pours onto the floor, rising quickly. The painted fish come to life and start swimming in the knee-deep water.

Now you recognize what kind of fish they are.

Man-eating piranha.

Piranha aren't choosy. They don't mind being kid-eating piranha.

This is definitely

THE END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
:siren:Eaten by piranha accidentally summoned by Joanie.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:Nice: Encountered a total of 69 bad endings.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Climb up the rope.
  • Hide in the crate.
  • Hide the book in the coffin.
  • Hide the book in the birdcage.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Climb up the rope.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

This supports my theory that we originally weren't harvested for our knees until the editor drew the line at realistic cannibalism.

Hide the book with the birds and their poop. I mean, what are the odds they'll turn out to be hungry vultures after the piranhas did their thing? :smug:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Climb that rope!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Deviations posted:

This supports my theory that we originally weren't harvested for our knees until the editor drew the line at realistic cannibalism.

Hide the book with the birds and their poop. I mean, what are the odds they'll turn out to be hungry vultures after the piranhas did their thing? :smug:

:parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Hide the book in the birdcage! That was amusing how it seemed like the the fishbowl was the stupidest idea, but then it was fine, but then it wasn't because PIRAHNA

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This particular book is really well-written.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"The birdcage," you decide.

"Good idea!" Sid grabs the book and races across the room. He sticks his finger into the birdcage.

"Don't be scared, little bird," he croons. "I'm going to open your cage and put something inside."

"Hurry it up," you urge. "The Magician could be here any minute. And don't forget to put the book under the paper lining in the cage," you add. "We don't want bird 'doo-doo' all over the book."

"Stupid!"

"Of course I was going to cover the book," Sid snaps. "You don't have to call me stupid."

"I didn't!" you declare. But if you didn't, who did?

"You idiot!"

"Okay," you cry, "which one of you called me an idiot?"

"Dummies!"

"It's the bird talking!" Sid exclaims. You and Joanie rush over to the birdcage.

"Say something else, birdie," Joanie coaxes. Sid opens the cage and slips his hand inside.

That's when you hear a new voice.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you!"

quote:

"Sid. Joanie," you whisper. "If none of us said that, and the bird didn't say that, who said that?"

"The Magician?" Joanie squeaks.

The three of you turn slowly and scan the room.

A man steps out of the shadows. It's not the Magician. But you don't feel any better. This is the biggest, grossest-looking guy you've ever seen.

His massive body towers over you. Your eyes travel up, up, up to the man's face. His skin is the color your face turns when you're about to be sick. Drool runs out of the corner of his mouth. You can smell his foul breath from across the room. He is one creepy dude. And he doesn't look happy.

We're in big trouble, you think.

The giant's voice booms: "GIVE ME MY BIRDIE!"

quote:

The giant reaches out for the bird in Sid's hand. The guy's hand is as big as Sid's head.

"Is my little bittle birdie okay?" The giant makes kissing sounds at the bird. "I'm a vanilla guest," he explains. "I was practicing throwing my voice."

"You mean you're a ventriloquist," Joanie corrects the man.

Good move, Joanie, you think. Get the giant mad.

The huge man peers down at Joanie.

Uh-oh, you think. Here it comes.

"You're cute," the giant tells Joanie.

"I know," she replies. They smile at each other. You don't believe it! Joanie's cute act is working on this gross guy.

"Can you show us how to get out of here?" Joanie asks, flashing her dimples.

"Come with me," the giant says, taking Joanie's hand.

"Joanie, wait," you call. You're not sure you can trust this guy.

"Do you want to just sit here and wait for the Magician?" Joanie asks you.

"She's got a point," Sid adds.

What do you think?

Should you go with the ugly giant? If so, turn to PAGE 110.

If you think it would be better to wait, go to PAGE 67.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Eaten by piranha accidentally summoned by Joanie.

Achievements
Nice: Encountered a total of 69 bad endings.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

We've made a new friend! It isn't his fault he isn't pretty. Let us follow him out of here!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

He's ugly so clearly he's trustworthy.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Let's be a superficial shitberg and see what happens.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ugly people have never lead me wrong before.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Okay," you tell the others. "Let's get out of here."

The giant opens a trapdoor in the floor. He pulls Joanie through it. Sid follows closely behind.

You peer into the dark hole in the floor. A damp smell makes your nose crinkle. You see crooked steps leading down.

You hope this wasn't a mistake.

You climb down the steps. You find yourself in a dark tunnel. Mold and cobwebs cling to the rough walls. The others are far ahead of you. You have to follow the sounds of their voices.

You finally come to an open doorway. You glance inside. You are met with a weird sight. Sid is sitting on the giant's knee. There's another kid sitting on the giant's other knee. The ugliest kid you've ever seen.

But you don't see Joanie anywhere. What's going on?

quote:

"Where's my sister?" you demand, racing into the room.

The giant smiles his creepy smile at you. "You're just in time for the show," he says.

That's when you notice the kid next to Sid isn't a real kid. It's a ventriloquist's dummy. A really ugly dummy.

"Where's Joanie?" you ask again. Of course, knowing Joanie, she could have wandered off by herself.

The dummy's red eyes blink open. "I'm Freaky Freddie," the dummy says. "Children don't like me. They think I'm too scary to look at."

"Sid, come on," you say. "We have to find Joanie."

But Sid just stares blankly ahead. It's as if he were made out of wood.

Uh-oh.

"I need cuter dummies for my act," the giant explains. "Then people will like me."

No, you think. It can't be! You notice a large cabinet. You rush toward it and yank it open.

"Joanie!" you shriek. She gazes at you silently. She's a dummy! And crumpled beside her is another dummy. You pick it up and gasp in horror!

The dummy has your face!

You now know how this will

END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book of Spells

Bad Endings
Eaten by piranha accidentally summoned by Joanie.
:siren:Turned into a ventriloquist dummy.:siren:

Achievements
Nice: Encountered a total of 69 bad endings.

Our options posted:

• Climb up the rope.
  • Hide in the crate.
  • Hide the book in the coffin.
  • Don't follow the giant.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

don't do the thing, actually

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Don't follow ugly dude then :mad:

Adbot