Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

wizard on a water slide posted:

This Bartz/Zidane double-header is nuts for a 180. I loving hate encounters where the enemies use slow, given how every endgame boss in FFRK basically has ultimate super triple haste.

Yeah it's kinda dumb. Had to restart once because my healer got slowed before she got a bar built up and then people started dying. Should've brought slow resist accessories the first time I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Can Slow be Astra'd?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
^Yes, Astra does stop slow

RagnarokAngel posted:

So any advice for omega apex? I feel like even when i get wall and protectshellga up he melts through me faster than i can keep up.
There are slower builds that work (https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/72dubt/exmastery_survey_speed_battle_treasure_race/ has team setups that you can browse through) but as Pander mentioned, going hard on damage has worked well for many people. One of your previous posts has a Bartz USB pull so that's a good place to start.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I also just feel like I should be diving people as soon as I can. I really don't like the idea of sitting on a hoarde of resources without using them. I don't quite have enough 4* and 5* motes to dive either Bartz or Edge but I want to plan my dives ahead of time. I refuse to spread out my motes and instead focus on one person at a time.
Going back a page to this, mote use depends on your priorities really. I'm like Katarani and Lorn in that I save mine for new & good pulls; my only LDd characters are Setzer, Lightning, and Noctis because I pulled their USBs. paperwind's Vivi usage has shown that you don't even need a character's relics if their LMs are good enough.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Affliction Break was enough to stop any slows for that fight.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I got off my lazy arse and ground out a consistent sub 30 sea lion party. It's nothing unconventional but putting together the pieces for this one DPS party was a bit of an annoyance.

(73) Rikku 1x USB
(84) Yuna
Terra 1x USB, one million OSBs, legend dive
OK
Ramza

Rikku doesn't really do anything other than cast her USB at the beginning of the fight with mako might RM. I have her cast the fire twinshot (R2) but the damage is really minimal, like 2k per cast. Oh and one Mana's Pean to buff Terra's mag. I'm pretty sure that's overkill but it's not like Rikku has anything else to do.

I barely need a healer so I picked Yuna to cast Valigarmandas (R2) in between curadas, seemed like the least bad option. She also casts Wall on first turn and magicite as soon as available. She has Thunder God's Might. Trigger Happy is waiting on the SB bar but I've spared the poor boss from ultimate humiliation so far.

Terra has a haste RM and burns herself with firaga at the start of the fight pre mitigation to activate her LM2 trance. Then it's USB to Meltdown (R2) and OSB spam. I have no fire boost gear but Terra hits hard enough anyway.

OK entrusts Terra on his first turn (dr. mogs) and then wraths and entrusts a second time later.

Ramza has battleforged and spams wrath and entrust to maximize Terra's OSB casts.

Magicite is Living Flame with various res and mag/fire boosts for subs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Dumb question, but just how does someone go about doing fast dps? Give MM/Dr Mog to your DPS and hope for the best? I have Noctis SSB so I know that'll be handy, but I'm not sure how to do it mechanically.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
sometimes i give dr mogs to the entruster and a damage rm to my damage and have them entrust the first bar over

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really need to get lucky and get some USBs, it's frustrating seeing all the speed clears being reliant on having a specific USB that just trivializes them, while I'm sitting here with Ramza as my only USB (it's really good, but still.) Oh and I guess Tyro's but eh. I need some kind of ridiculous DPS enabler.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

So any advice for omega apex? I feel like even when i get wall and protectshellga up he melts through me faster than i can keep up.

I did it with a modified version of my Sealion team. I have Terra's USB and OSB. I spammed those while boosting magic and healing like crazy, then spamming Stop after getting it down past 50%. It took a few reloads too because Stop proc is annoyingly random.

That fight really sucks and isn't fun at all. Good luck!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if i can survive the necessary turns to get edge enwatered, USBd, pblink x2'd, and cloud USB RW'd, then anything and everything dies with the next two turns of raging water murder

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really need to get lucky and get some USBs, it's frustrating seeing all the speed clears being reliant on having a specific USB that just trivializes them, while I'm sitting here with Ramza as my only USB (it's really good, but still.) Oh and I guess Tyro's but eh. I need some kind of ridiculous DPS enabler.

I mean, yeah, the sub-30s clears are gonna rely on certain super-great BSB or USB setups. I'm okay with that. I could do sub-1-minute clears without any useful USBs (well on Fenrir I preferred a Lulu USB setup, but both that and my Edea/Lulu BSB clears were sub-1-minute) and that seemed fine to me.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

ceaselessfuture posted:

Dumb question, but just how does someone go about doing fast dps? Give MM/Dr Mog to your DPS and hope for the best? I have Noctis SSB so I know that'll be handy, but I'm not sure how to do it mechanically.

The truth? Using 5 and 6star damage abilities on legend dived dps characters. That's it. I clear omega in 18 seconds with 3 legend dived mages, edge for ssb, and a high mnd character carrying faith and stop. I cast two sbs through the whole fight, no wall, no proshell.

Papalymo doublecasting meltdowns, shantotto going trance mode and fastcasting whatever, raines with dr mogs to use his bsb for the buff. Omega hits half and gets stopped before he does a single aoe.

I don't even use lifesiphon anymore, other than torments with trash. If you want to kill stuff fast, you either need to entrust bars to a character who can spam osb level damage, or use strong abilities on characters dived to boost them.

Legend dived dps are so strong even without using sbs, I haven't been able to justify diving a healer or support yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Theoretically speaking, if you were somehow able to do over 120,000 damage to the shadow dragon before its 4th turn, you would be able to skip black fang entirely, right? I tried with Agrias's and Orlandeau's OSBs and the best I could get was about 90k.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pander posted:

apparently it's all about ignoring defense and going 100% DPS, stopping him as soon as you get his health down enough.

So what's the best way to maximize DPS? Is it Thunder God spam with entrust bots? Cause I can do that now.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just got around to clearing the Crystal Tower and holy poo poo Zidane USB/BSB2 combo is potent. I guess everyone and everything has synergy in that fight, but goddamn, Chaos wilted away like he was nothing.

I am eager to test this poo poo out in more detail.

How does his USB+BSB2 combo work? do the burst mode abilities on his BSB 2 count as thief abilities for his USB effect? I think he's the only character I've drawn more than one relic for so its cool if they have a cool synergy

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not able to do enough damage to shadow dragon to skip that first black fang, but I do hit Rikku with TG Cid so she eats it after casting USB + RW Wall.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Any thoughts on picking between Fujin and Larsa’s BSBs for my CT selection draw?

These characters have a wind SBs:
Alphinaud BSB, USB (fully moted)
Cloud BSB, BSB2, OSB (fully moted)
Vaan BSB, USB (legend dived)
Zidane SSB, BSB
Fang’s outdated BSB

For healing I have:
Selphie SSB, BSB
Y’shtola SSB, BSB, Wall (fully moted)
Relm SSB, BSB
Yuna BSB(lol), BSB2
Eiko BSB

Fujin sounds like she would fit in nicely with Vaan, Alphinaud and Cloud, but that debuff blink is really tempting. I’m about to start the magicite dungeons since I’ve mastered almost everything else.

private message fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 10, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what's the best way to maximize DPS? Is it Thunder God spam with entrust bots? Cause I can do that now.

Two very fast DPS options with a cloud RW seem optimal. Maybe Entrust TGC so he can OSB->BSB?

I actually haven't gotten anything to work cause I haven't tried him since I was playing it turtley. I think my next shot will just be Lightning going Cloud RW->USB->twinstrikes and Noctis fueling her with SSBs after her LM2 wears off, and maybe I should hone up a R2 omega drive or dervish as DPS.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pander posted:

Two very fast DPS options with a cloud RW seem optimal. Maybe Entrust TGC so he can OSB->BSB?

I actually haven't gotten anything to work cause I haven't tried him since I was playing it turtley. I think my next shot will just be Lightning going Cloud RW->USB->twinstrikes and Noctis fueling her with SSBs after her LM2 wears off, and maybe I should hone up a R2 omega drive or dervish as DPS.

Unfortunately I don't have Cid's BSB and I don't have Lightning's USB so it seems like my main option for fast DPS would be Lulu, but she can't take advantage of Cloud RW.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pander posted:

Do EX buffs stack? I thought that they didn't.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

All Ex modes are unique and stack

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Do EX buffs stack? I thought that they didn't.

Yes. They're all unique.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jesus that really changes things.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

Jesus that really changes things.

It's also why EX modes have a hard limit of 15s, to prevent you from stacking them for too long.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's also why EX modes have a hard limit of 15s, to prevent you from stacking them for too long.

Yup, go more than two without a bunch of Instant-Casts and you're probably looking at only maybe two actual actions with the first effect up.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Took down Omega Apex with Rosa USB, Relm BSB, Lightning USB, Tidus USB, and Shout, RW Sentinels. Got it in 34s, but probably could have fine tuned things to get under 30.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is FF15 this thursday? I thought it was later?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

LornMarkus posted:

Yup, go more than two without a bunch of Instant-Casts and you're probably looking at only maybe two actual actions with the first effect up.

Ninjas play really nice with Cloud's USB.

I made Apoc+ Squall feel some pain with Shadow using Cloud USB, then Shadow's USB. With everything at ridiculous speed, he was doing 4x17000 with 2x38000 chasers, and got off more than a couple of those. This was without an en-dark or Chant helping things along, mind you.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

How does his USB+BSB2 combo work? do the burst mode abilities on his BSB 2 count as thief abilities for his USB effect? I think he's the only character I've drawn more than one relic for so its cool if they have a cool synergy

They do! I've also been utilizing Dash and Slash, but it's only R2.

My Zidane rotation at the moment is LS to 2 bars -> BSB2 for enWind -> USB -> CMD1 x2(or 3) -> CMD2. I'll switch off with Dash and Slash depending on my DPS needs, but the BSB commands hit for around 7k+ with enWind and imperil anyway and chase for 9999 every time.

My Zidane is 4* dived with a couple LD abilities, so not super powered by any stretch.

quote:

:words:

Thanks for the DPS tips, all. Guess I just need to work on motes more.

Anyone have any tips on who I should focus on to Dive?

Zidane BSB2, USB - my current LD goal
Lightning USB - I have Reks BSB and Fran Lightning imperil to support
Tidus USB
Vaan USB
Noctis SSB, USB - I love having non-ele options, so I like him
Sephiroth BSB2, OSB - no USB yet but this relic combo seems potent anyway
Vayne SSB, BSB, LMR - probably the least amount of damage out of the pack but I love his versatility and I'm kind of attached to him at this point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Zidane BSB2, USB - my current LD goal
Lightning USB - I have Reks BSB and Fran Lightning imperil to support
Tidus USB
Vaan USB
Noctis SSB, USB - I love having non-ele options, so I like him
Sephiroth BSB2, OSB - no USB yet but this relic combo seems potent anyway
Vayne SSB, BSB, LMR - probably the least amount of damage out of the pack but I love his versatility and I'm kind of attached to him at this point.

Honestly I'd go Zidane > Light > Vaan > Noct > Tidus > Vayne > Seph, motes withstanding. A few of them are able to be dived together, particularly Lightning and Vayne, which wouldn't have overlap. You're gonna eat through a lot of Bravery motes, though.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Bravery motes are the bane of my loving existence right now, especially since I put 50 into Fran so far (which I don't regret, but should have waited on).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Bravery motes are the bane of my loving existence right now, especially since I put 50 into Fran so far (which I don't regret, but should have waited on).

To go off of your earlier list, it's worth noting what each character eats:

Zidane: Dexterity + Bravery
Lightning: Dexterity + Vitality
Tidus: Dexterity + Bravery
Vaan: Dexterity + Bravery
Noctis: Dexterity + Bravery
Seph: Dexterity + Vitality
Vayne: Bravery + Wisdom

Lightning and Seph can be dived without cutting into your Bravery motes, Vayne doesn't need Dexterity, but you'll probably not be able to go for all of them, so it's also worth checking their LM2s to see how "worth it" each one is. Vaan is actually pretty low since his LMs only boost his damage (based on using daggers and the enemy being debuffed), as opposed to offering extra effects like doublecast (Vayne, Tidus), Haste+IC3 (Noct, Lightning), or a trance mode (Zidane, Seph). It's still nice to have, but a Vaan without his LD will perform almost as well as a Vaan with his LD, just with lower damage output per hit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm really starting to sour on torment dungeons. You get the boss fight all planned out, and then you remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really starting to sour on torment dungeons. You get the boss fight all planned out, and then you remember

I understand that the torment trash was originally meant as a way to test a player's hones, but in practice they basically just boil down to "well I guess I have to sandbag and spam lifesiphons/wraths for 4/6 waves of trash to have full SB bars/prebuffs before the boss" with a side order of "well that one trash enemy landed status time to SL". It's really boring tedious poo poo and I hate doing the 200 and 250 of every event. Jump Start is way more interesting.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Go figure, I finally decide to try out Matoya's BSB out for the FFXI torment, since she can hit both weaknesses at once.
Turns out it's pretty drat solid with just two +mag buffs. 50k entry, 24k/command for me.

Granted, Shantotto CSB staff lends a LOT of power to that burst. Boost fire/ice/lightning in XI? Don't mind if I do!

Also while the trash sucked, it was fun having Greg just Gaia's Cross - Gaff RM4 his way through the trash waves while everyone else just built up SB bars. Probably could've used someone with better stuff than just an ancient BSB or a decent SSB, but it's not like holy is a solid pick in this realm. Comes with the nice advantage of Greg being able to be the party healer up til the end since Summon Enkidu wipes a wave out and gives high regen.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh hey, cool Bartz decided to use his dualcasts to murder the last of the little guys, so the boss wiped me instantly. Thanks Bartz.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Lightning and Seph can be dived without cutting into your Bravery motes, Vayne doesn't need Dexterity, but you'll probably not be able to go for all of them, so it's also worth checking their LM2s to see how "worth it" each one is. Vaan is actually pretty low since his LMs only boost his damage (based on using daggers and the enemy being debuffed), as opposed to offering extra effects like doublecast (Vayne, Tidus), Haste+IC3 (Noct, Lightning), or a trance mode (Zidane, Seph). It's still nice to have, but a Vaan without his LD will perform almost as well as a Vaan with his LD, just with lower damage output per hit.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, one of the reasons I'm looking at Vayne is because of that doublecast, especially in lieu of the upcoming ability buffs and the upcoming Larsa/Vayne banner. I guess I'll wait on the Seph/Lightning dive as well until after the Sephiroth banner. Might pick up something nice for him!

How good are Trances anyway? They seem finicky to trigger.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, one of the reasons I'm looking at Vayne is because of that doublecast, especially in lieu of the upcoming ability buffs and the upcoming Larsa/Vayne banner. I guess I'll wait on the Seph/Lightning dive as well until after the Sephiroth banner. Might pick up something nice for him!

How good are Trances anyway? They seem finicky to trigger.

Trances are ridiculously good, and it's not that hard to trigger them if you just not heal them (a Last Stand helps immensely for this). Worst case scenario have someone give them a smack with a decently powered hit.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fister Roboto posted:

I actually find 250 better than 200, oddly enough.

It is just enough trash for my mage teams loaded up with quake, ruin, and summons to get a bar before reaching the boss. With 200 dungeons they reach the boss with less than half a bar and kinda mill about for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
It took me an hour to figure out how to trance Terra by slapping her at the start of a fight. It sucked.

I thought I had some idiot setting on that auto targeted harmful spells to enemies despite you manually targeting your party but turns out it just a miserable crapshoot of trial and error thanks to DeNa lottery coding.

Powerchain? Sure, you can hit yourself.
Dervish? Nope
Fire twinshot? No way.
Chain Firaga? Yeah sure burn yourself
Dash and Slash? No.

When I finally found something in the ballpark of the needed damage I adjusted magicites, Terra's equipment etc until it worked every time.

Problem is my magicites still have levels to get so once they get stronger... another hour down the drain.

• Locked thread