Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Tobermory posted:

I'm weirdly fond of Consecrated Worlds as a first pick, at least when playing spiritualist.

Imperial Prerogative is super nice if you find yourself conquering large groups of planets at once and needing to micro-manage them. In early/mid game, it makes a nice third pick after the +200 fleet cap from Galactic Force Projection.

I like Consecrated Worlds in the very edge case where I'm playing a tall, spiritualist micro-empire. But I actually do that sometimes so it's cool when it comes up. The combination of taking an ascension slot plus the extensive influence cost is pretty hard to justify out side of that niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nitrousoxide posted:

I always go science assention perk first personally. I pretty much never take mastery over nature because I can get a lot more tech points from the science than I get from 10 tier one techs (most of which won't even be useful since you won't have those tile blockers for a while, if ever)

Plus you can always start up a tech sharing agreement later to get a pretty big bonus off of those that took it. Just look for those that have a pretty big culture tech lead over you to find them.

Research bonuses stack additively though so the +10% isn't really as impressive as it sounds. It's good but not spectacular, not even if you get it early in the game. It's a good contender for second pick though. The deal with MoN isn't that it saves you research points in the long run, it's that it gives you a faster start (since it also saves you a whole lot of minerals and credits at a stage of the game when every penny counts).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wiz posted:

They're scriptable in game rules.
:waycool:

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm looking through the mega-structures looking for somethings that prevents working on multiple different structures at the same time and not finding it.

I found this section

custom_tooltip = {
fail_text = "requires_no_existing_megastructure"
#NOT = { solar_system = { has_any_megastructure_in_empire = yes } }
NOT = { has_any_megastructure = yes }
}

But these are just for the construction platform and I'm interpreting them as restrictions on placing a mega structure on top of an existing on.
you want to add
code:
construction_blocks_others = no
to each step of each megastructure. that line is what makes it possible to build habitats in parallel

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mr. Fowl posted:

Is there any way that you prefer to manage colonies for sectors? Do you build them up to a certain point or does it not matter so you just toss em into a sector immediately if you were planning to do so?

I usually make sure to throw down any planet uniques if it's possible to do so with just the tier 1 capital. Temple, Gene Clinic, stuff like that. That's all though.

LogisticEarth posted:

Since Terraforming came up, I really think fleshing that out a bit more would be super. Like, one of my favorite sci-fi series is Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. The whole process is actually a radical and epic concept. But in Stellaris it's kind of distilled down to "Get 3000 space bucks and press go".

Just as a concept, having terraforming take slightly longer and have some interactive events (maybe similar to the Primitive Infiltration events) would really give the whole process some more "oomph". Again, this would help flesh out the mid-game drag.

I've been feeling the same way. Nothing wrong with Terraforming as-is from the mechanical side of things, but it does feel a bit lacking from the narrative perspective. You pays your money you waits your time and that's it. I'm at a loss for what you might do to improve things though.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 10, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

e; gently caress, double posted like a dipshit :v:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 10, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Last game I played I certainly felt the Terraforming cost changes because I could only find one of the two terraforming resources and couldn't find any empires willing to trade it (all the spawns seemed to be on the other side of the huge-sized galaxy). Then I built a Dyson Sphere and they suddenly became a lot more reasonable. Wish World Shaper reduced terraforming costs by a bit more to be honest, for an ascension perk it seems to have a fairly small impact.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I always go science assention perk first personally. I pretty much never take mastery over nature because I can get a lot more tech points from the science than I get from 10 tier one techs (most of which won't even be useful since you won't have those tile blockers for a while, if ever)

Plus you can always start up a tech sharing agreement later to get a pretty big bonus off of those that took it. Just look for those that have a pretty big culture tech lead over you to find them.

My general view on games like this dating back to Civ III/IV is that a bonus that helps right now is better than a bonus that helps more later, because everything starts to snowball once your economy is rolling. +10% to research sounds good and does genuinely give you more research later, but I feel that's where it is also less crucial than early on when you're trying to settle and grab up quality real estate and actually get your economy into good shape. A bunch of key early techs and an instant infusion of a bunch of research and resources is generally more potent than getting more research per turn later in the game when you've already won.

With that said I could see an argument for not going MoN, mainly if you wanted to roleplay an empire with a smaller footprint that made extensive use of habitats. That's not personally my preferred playstyle but it has its benefits. I still don't think I'd take +10% research though.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 10, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Research is super unimportant for early development though. Minerals matter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Adequate posted:

I've been feeling the same way. Nothing wrong with Terraforming as-is from the mechanical side of things, but it does feel a bit lacking from the narrative perspective. You pays your money you waits your time and that's it. I'm at a loss for what you might do to improve things though.
Events! Have a stable of a few dozen possible events that can pop up during terraforming, which influence the final planet or provide other benefits.
"Cool alien animals found on future sea bed" (dissect them for society research) (delay terraforming by a few months to build a preserve which adds an alien pets tile)
"Pre sapients found huddling in cave" (observe their struggles to adapt for society research) (move the pre sapients to an appropriate unpopulated planet) (cancel the terraforming and uplift them instead)
"Demolished mountain reveals betharian deposits" (use it to fuel the process, speeding it up) (leave be, add a betharian deposit)
"Terraforming awakens sleeping giants" (titanic life forms modifier added to planet)
"Supervisor of project wants to try something" (What? No. Do your job) (Go ahead (40/30/30 chance of Gaia or tomb world or monsters))

Could also be interesting to be able to assign a scientists to a terraforming project (or megastructure project) with their specialities impacting the final result.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Soup du Journey posted:

:waycool:

you want to add
code:
construction_blocks_others = no
to each step of each megastructure. that line is what makes it possible to build habitats in parallel

Thanks! I juuuust figured it out before you posted. Instead of looking for a line that prevented parallel construction I needed to look for something to allow it since it's restricted by default.
I'm not sure the point of the restriction in the first place. If you can afford to build multiple mega projects at the same time the game is already pretty much over, why not ?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Planets in general are kind of boring. I really like that Guilli's mod adds the occasional unique tile blocker with adjacency effects. More of that would be great, my planets always end up looking about the same otherwise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

Research is super unimportant for early development though. Minerals matter.
One overlooked advantage of MoN is the whole universe suddenly wants your research agreements, and will pay you in cold hard minerals.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'd like to be able to set a name, color and icon for my created vassal states, Wiz, please and thank you. I'd like my Feudal Society civ to be able to call its vassals Houses and such.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is there any way to place ghost buildings on planets to be built later once funding shows up? I'd love to settle a new planet, queue up what I want built in each tile (and if machines, what type of bot to build in each tile), toss it in a sector, and forget about it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Stellaris loads much faster on my 4-year-old Mac laptop than it does on my PC, which was built just a few months ago and is better hardware-wise on paper in every way. The load times are short on both and this is not a problem at all, but I'm curious why this is. Both are running the game off of an SSD. The actual gameplay is much faster on my PC of course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm looking at the list of planet modifiers and there's a ton, and I'm looking at the system initializers and I'm not seeing any match for any planet modifier. How would I add something like mineral rich or unstable tectonics to a planet via the prescripted system initializers?

In the example file they just have it as simple as modifiers = "modifier_name" so I edited earth to be like this

name = "NAME_Earth"
class = "pc_continental"
orbit_distance = 25
orbit_angle = 120
size = 25
starting_planet = yes
has_ring = no
entity = "continental_planet_earth_entity"
tile_blockers = none
modifiers = "pm_natural_beauty"
flags = { planet_earth }

I'd assume that would add natural beauty to earth, but it doesn't. I don't know if this is because I did it wrong, or as a starting planet it's over-ridden. but looking through all the pre-scripted planets I couldn't find a single one that had anything other than "modifer = none" so it feels like there's some other way I'm supposed to be going around this.

Reading up on stuff it seems being a homeworld over-rides a lot of stuff, so I tried to give hostile fauna to alpha centauri. Started a new game, explored it, nothing :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 10, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Splicer posted:

I'm hoping we see a really weird races expansion at some point, with fish people and rock people and something cool done with fungus and plant people and a bunch of weird start options like tomb worlds and slowly disintegrating ring worlds.

Yeah, I'd like to see a bunch more of this sort of thing, even if it's just unique traits for certain species types. Like, I dunno, reptiles could pick the trait cold blooded, which would give growth and productivity bonuses on the dry, hot planets, and extra penalties on cold ones. Plants could pick photosynthesis, which would greatly reduce food needed. Things like that.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Wiz, gotta give props on Synthetic Dawn. I enjoy it so much that I went back and bought all the other DLC to add richness to the game. If you keep this up, you can count on my moneys for a long time :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's two issues with Unrest. I'm comparing to EU4 which does Unrest pretty well for the purpose of preventing players from rapidly annexing huge swaths of territory. Unrest in Stellaris is super binary. Nothing bad happens unless you let it cross a magic threshold. EU4, as Wiz is perfectly aware, even a little bit of unrest can stack over time and lead to a full power rebellion and the speed and the amount of unrest determines how fast on average it happens. The other thing is that garrisons are incredibly cheap to make and maintain so there is no drawback to controlling unrest through force.

Grizzwold posted:

Planets in general are kind of boring. I really like that Guilli's mod adds the occasional unique tile blocker with adjacency effects. More of that would be great, my planets always end up looking about the same otherwise.

Technically the base game already has tile blockers with adjacency effects but more would be better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

There's two issues with Unrest. I'm comparing to EU4 which does Unrest pretty well for the purpose of preventing players from rapidly annexing huge swaths of territory. Unrest in Stellaris is super binary. Nothing bad happens unless you let it cross a magic threshold. EU4, as Wiz is perfectly aware, even a little bit of unrest can stack over time and lead to a full power rebellion and the speed and the amount of unrest determines how fast on average it happens. The other thing is that garrisons are incredibly cheap to make and maintain so there is no drawback to controlling unrest through force.

Technically the base game already has tile blockers with adjacency effects but more would be better.

Isn't it just the wandering forests?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't it just the wandering forests?

also craters on some tomb worlds

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I feel like when a crisis triggers, and the entire universe is imperiled, the trading enclaves should probably offer a better exchange rate. Also, it should probably count as a defensive war with regards to pulling resources out of sectors. :shobon:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Bold Robot posted:

Stellaris loads much faster on my 4-year-old Mac laptop than it does on my PC, which was built just a few months ago and is better hardware-wise on paper in every way. The load times are short on both and this is not a problem at all, but I'm curious why this is. Both are running the game off of an SSD. The actual gameplay is much faster on my PC of course.

I have a work issued MBP .. 2017 model I guess and it loads in like 15 seconds max. On my bad rear end PC I start it and go make a sandwich. Runs great on both but the loading time difference is pretty funny.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I started a new game as humans and the first race I met was some nasty xenophobic FE. The odd thing is, they were human too. Will a xenophobic FE have any special relations with a same-race empire?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like when a crisis triggers, and the entire universe is imperiled, the trading enclaves should probably offer a better exchange rate. Also, it should probably count as a defensive war with regards to pulling resources out of sectors. :shobon:

Oh I had an idea relating to this. Various enclaves should, if you have high relations, pop up and be like "Yo you've been valued customers for many years and in light of this, and the ongoing threat to us all, we are willing to offer you access to $UNIQUE_RESOURCE at cost." and you can buy their poo poo for a hefty discount. Riggan spice, a scientist, a bunch of boho peacocks who can't art, whatever.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I thought war games were meant to be practice. :saddowns:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

i would think it would be really interesting to make sectors have internal politics that would affect your empire. they might have elected or appointed governors but either way they would have some level of autonomy, and more autonomous sectors could have their own policies in opposition to the empire-wide policies and would have more protection against arbitrary decisions from the central government. you could have a parliament elected from the sectors, or underground movements in less democratic empires, each working toward goals different from the player. there's a ton of interesting event pools that could flesh out internal politics, and a sector-based political system would be a cool start imo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

[quote="“Splicer”" post="“477222732”"]
Events! Have a stable of a few dozen possible events that can pop up during terraforming, which influence the final planet or provide other benefits.
“Cool alien animals found on future sea bed” (dissect them for society research) (delay terraforming by a few months to build a preserve which adds an alien pets tile)
“Pre sapients found huddling in cave” (observe their struggles to adapt for society research) (move the pre sapients to an appropriate unpopulated planet) (cancel the terraforming and uplift them instead)
“Demolished mountain reveals betharian deposits” (use it to fuel the process, speeding it up) (leave be, add a betharian deposit)
“Terraforming awakens sleeping giants” (titanic life forms modifier added to planet)
“Supervisor of project wants to try something” (What? No. Do your job) (Go ahead (40/30/30 chance of Gaia or tomb world or monsters))

Could also be interesting to be able to assign a scientists to a terraforming project (or megastructure project) with their specialities impacting the final result.
[/quote]

That Star Trek mega mod does this. Terraforming mars is one of the big early things if you play as earth and it has a half dozen events that cam fire and do different things. It's neat and helps the whole process feel more meaningful. Some of the poo poo that can happen is good, some bad.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

i would think it would be really interesting to make sectors have internal politics that would affect your empire. they might have elected or appointed governors but either way they would have some level of autonomy, and more autonomous sectors could have their own policies in opposition to the empire-wide policies and would have more protection against arbitrary decisions from the central government. you could have a parliament elected from the sectors, or underground movements in less democratic empires, each working toward goals different from the player. there's a ton of interesting event pools that could flesh out internal politics, and a sector-based political system would be a cool start imo

Yep, that's similar to the way I would like to see it - Sectors behaving like CK2 Vassals (part of your empire, but potentially with their own goals and schemes), and vassals behaving like EU4 vassals.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Actually as I thought about it it would be kinda cool if the Unbidden had all three factions show up in different spots and make war on each other when they met

I can see this being pretty fun.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

canepazzo posted:

Yep, that's similar to the way I would like to see it - Sectors behaving like CK2 Vassals (part of your empire, but potentially with their own goals and schemes), and vassals behaving like EU4 vassals.

This would be pretty great.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

I can see this being pretty fun.

:allears:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

This game really needs an industrial production mechanic. In big slugfest wars the main determinant of victory is the speed at which you can churn out replacement fleets. While we have a lot of dials and knobs to maximise mineral production we only have a couple big levers to effect ship production and it takes horrible, tedious micro management to get the most out of it. Compared to HoI4 and Viki2 where tweaking throughput during peacetime can win you the war Stellaris wars feel very unsatisfying.

There's a sector shipyards mod out there, I forget the actual name, but searching "sector shipyards" will find it, I'm sure. It doesn't add more useful levers, but it does kill a significant amount of micro. A sector with a governor has the planet the governor is governing from labeled a capital, which then gets a boost to ship build speed based on the number of other starports in the sector, while the other starports get a penalty. You can just hotkey the capital and queue up a fleet. You won't get them in batches like you would from a fully-micro'd set of planets, but you'll get a similar number in a similar amount of time.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Stellaris may well ruin all my friendships

I'm mid game in a game with 2 friends, I pretty quickly ended up sandwiched between the two of them
We agreed on non aggression, since we know someone would likely get crushed and end up just having a poo poo time for the rest of the game (probably a bad decision in hindsight)

I asked one friend to let me take a nearby AI empire so I had space to expand, while he went Galactic South and he pointed out some nice planets he wanted down there
2 years before my cease fire expired with the AI empire, he rushes in and cedes half their planets, and I'm pissed. So I stick down a frontier station to push back his Southern borders and take a beautiful 25 ocean planet with Betharian.
So now he's pissed and I'm pissed. Second friend laughs at us and decides to attack my BFF AI neighbours out the blue, so I wait until that is over and insta vassalise them before he can. So now he's pissed with me.

I'm like 80% sure this is gonna end up in a massive war, I just hope it's not 2v1. If it's 1v1 (either way) I'm sure I'll win, since one guy still thinks corvette spam is the meta (why would you even want to?) and the other has a kitchen sink fleet comp which I've been watching and looks like it's pretty ineffective agaisnt similarly sized fleets

THANKS WIZ :negative:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Is horizen working since the new dlc? I havent seen it in ages

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've got it in practically every game. :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Yeah. I've had it in my last two games.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I've played several games since it came out and I have literally never had it fire. I'm starting to get a little discouraged.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Quorum posted:

I've played several games since it came out and I have literally never had it fire. I'm starting to get a little discouraged.
Check in the launcher to make sure it's enabled.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Quorum posted:

Same. I think it's just a pretty low chance to fire. It's definitely enabled but I've not seen it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Robots don't get it the signal.

• Locked thread