Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just played against a second sun deck on XMage.

Well "played" isn't the right term, there wasn't a lot of interaction besides having my hand stripped and the few permanents I got off exiled. I should say I got to watch someone play their Second Sun deck.

I take back what I said about the state of the game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

my favorite deck like that on xmage is the "take another turn to cast a spell to take another turn to cast another spell to take another turn" deck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Craw Wurm is good as hell. Six power is credible board presence your opponent has to respect and 4 toughness puts it out of bolt range.

bud theres a craw wurm in ixalan that has 6 toughness, trample, and is a dinosaur

and its actually pretty good in draft from what ive seen

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

Yes because when I said 'I like playing multiplayer card games', I actually meant 'I like playing board games themed around card games but whose gameplay is about resource trading and drafting and aims to emulate the overall ccg experience, not the actual ccg gameplay'. Well done, you've cracked the code.

There’s an entire genre of engine-building tableau games which is literally the point of EDH. I mean you can get nit picky and say it’s not the exact same carbon copy so it doesn’t count but terraforming mars is the latest example. I mean there’s also the “multiplayer solitaire” aspect which a lot of people complain about wrt to attacking others. That’s Trajan.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

bud theres a craw wurm in ixalan that has 6 toughness, trample, and is a dinosaur

and its actually pretty good in draft from what ive seen

I could see drafting it if I was in green already and missing a good 6 cmc beater. Definitely could do worse.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I could see drafting it if I was in green already and missing a good 6 cmc beater. Definitely could do worse.

Being a Dinosaur is actually pretty relevant and ups its value quite a bit.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

There’s an entire genre of engine-building tableau games which is literally the point of EDH. I mean you can get nit picky and say it’s not the exact same carbon copy so it doesn’t count but terraforming mars is the latest example. I mean there’s also the “multiplayer solitaire” aspect which a lot of people complain about wrt to attacking others. That’s Trajan.

deckbuilders miss the "expressing yourself via your deck choice" aspect, which they eschew in favor of good gameplay, a reasonable play time, players not yelling at each other, etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

trajan is like the deck full of wacky red rare sorceries and enchantments, because it is impossible to predict what gamestate will result from your plays

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

as green stompy, how the gently caress do I beat combo decks like storm? also how do I beat storm as any deck because I feel like I don't even understand how it really functions

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

green stompy does not have disruption, combo decks lose to 1) decks that are faster than them and or 2) decks that can disrupt their combo

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

can I be faster if I'm lucky? or do I just straight up lose that matchup.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Pumps, basically, and keeping a good hand. Rancor + critters oughtta work in most situations. If you don't play Aspect of Hydra, Rhonas's Last Stand is a good include, I think.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Omar al-Bishie posted:

my favorite deck like that on xmage is the "take another turn to cast a spell to take another turn to cast another spell to take another turn" deck

With Opt in Modern Turns has gotten better. I cut Remand for Opt. Search for Azcanta can maybe work instead of the Clique but you're rarely searching in the late game, it is hard to fizzle drawing 3 cards a turn.

Deck: Mono-U Turns

//Land - 22
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
18 Island

//Warp - 11
4 Temporal Mastery
3 Part the Waterveil
4 Time Warp
1 Temporal Trespass

//Draw - 14
4 Dictate of Kruphix
2 Howling Mine
4 Serum Visions
4 Opt

//Interaction - 12
3 Cryptic Command
3 Exhaustion
3 Gigadrowse
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
3 Spreading Seas
3 Thing in the Ice
2 Dispel
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Spellskite
1 Vedalken Shackles
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 10, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Omar al-Bishie posted:

can I be faster if I'm lucky? or do I just straight up lose that matchup.

play pump spells and hope basically, you have to be faster since you have no disruption

it sucks a lot for pure aggro decks cause muliganing only hurts your chances of getting the right combo of creature and pump

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Don't most storm decks need to Past in Flames to win? Dryad militants and some other graveyard hate (cage or relic) should help out?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Don't most storm decks need to Past in Flames to win? Dryad militants and some other graveyard hate (cage or relic) should help out?

When I was running Stompy I had Dryad Militant and Scavenging Ooze maindeck, and yeah Relic of Progenitus and Grafdigger's Cage are both good SB cards against Storm. I think ScOoze, Relic, and Cage are all worth picking up in their own right. Cage also happens to be good against decks running cards like Collected Company and Chord of Calling since it prevents those cards from putting creatures into play.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/917732062106476547

Good software

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Am I wrong to think Gideon's Intervention might be a worthwhile sideboard card in the UW Second Sun deck? It answers cards like Carnage Tyrant, Bristling Hydra and Walking Ballista pretty well, and Second Sun is the one deck where the downside of not actually removing a blocker is completely irrelevant.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

little munchkin posted:

deckbuilders miss the "expressing yourself via your deck choice" aspect, which they eschew in favor of good gameplay, a reasonable play time, players not yelling at each other, etc.

TMars isn’t a deckbuilder but even they have a pool of cards to choose from. Usually it’s done randomly but players can decide which cards to include. As for reasonable play time, TM isn’t actually the best example there. But I see your point. I think the closest things to personalizing available tiles/cards in those games isn’t actually the opposite: there tends to be a pre-game banning of cards similar to MOBAs as metagames develop. But you could always do a Rochester draft of available cards/tiles instead.

cheetah7071 posted:

trajan is like the deck full of wacky red rare sorceries and enchantments, because it is impossible to predict what gamestate will result from your plays

:lol: it is both the reddest wacky deck and the bluest control deck depending upon the player.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyMH37ihQ4&t=20s

Please heckle anyone who pulls this bullshit. If it has a hallowstamp, the card is legit. All these loving weirdos who think they know what they are talking about when it comes to fakes are causing headaches for sellers due to this false confidence. WOTC just has gotten really lovely at printing cards. Quit filing for refunds or trying to rip up cards.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Explorers of Ixalan
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/exploring-explorers-ixalan-2017-10-10

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyMH37ihQ4&t=20s

Please heckle anyone who pulls this bullshit. If it has a hallowstamp, the card is legit. All these loving weirdos who think they know what they are talking about when it comes to fakes are causing headaches for sellers due to this false confidence. WOTC just has gotten really lovely at printing cards. Quit filing for refunds or trying to rip up cards.

The seller they are talking about in the video is MTG Mint Card. I have bought dozens of cards from them with no problem.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Oh cool, a Time Warp reprint.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Actually looks neat. Planechase is actually a fun time until one comes up that gives someone an incredible advantage and people spend entire turns trying to roll away from, so I hope this is better balanced. The MSRP is $64.99 though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Actually looks neat. Planechase is actually a fun time until one comes up that gives someone an incredible advantage and people spend entire turns trying to roll away from, so I hope this is better balanced. The MSRP is $64.99 though.

Fifteen bucks a deck is their standard MSRP for a pre-constructed deck, so you're really only paying like five bucks for the little tiles and bullcrap. Doesn't seem to bad pending decklists.

I've found myself generally disappointed by the few wotc precons I've bought. I've virtually Grandfather's Axed the Huatli planeswalker deck, swapping out nearly every card including the Huatli with the better Huatli. I did keep 2 snubhorns in there, it's a decent 2 drop IMO.

In spite of being an "Ixalan" branded product, I assume none of the reprints from this that aren't already in IXN or the Kaledesh/Amonkhet blocks are going to be Standard Legal, right?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

In spite of being an "Ixalan" branded product, I assume none of the reprints from this that aren't already in IXN or the Kaledesh/Amonkhet blocks are going to be Standard Legal, right?

Correct. The only things that are ever Standard legal are cards in actual sets.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

Correct. The only things that are ever Standard legal are cards in actual sets.

Planeswalker and Welcome Deck cards are also in standard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tainen posted:

Good to know I won't be DQ'ed for the Snubhorns. :v:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Good to know I won't be DQ'ed for the Snubhorns. :v:

Yeah, someone called me out on my Innistrad Highland Lakes I had to show him that it was reprinted in the Amonkhet Planeswalker decks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I've found myself generally disappointed by the few wotc precons I've bought. I've virtually Grandfather's Axed the Huatli planeswalker deck, swapping out nearly every card including the Huatli with the better Huatli. I did keep 2 snubhorns in there, it's a decent 2 drop IMO.

The Planeswalker decks in particular are designed to be low-powered but balanced against each other, up to and including the underpowered versions of the planeswalkers therein. They're meant for newer players and Wizards deliberately makes them kinda crummy so that they remain in good supply for new players to pick up. The fact that you got back into the game, bought a PW deck, played it and then started building on it tells me that it's actually working as intended :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

C-Euro posted:

The Planeswalker decks in particular are designed to be low-powered but balanced against each other, up to and including the underpowered versions of the planeswalkers therein. They're meant for newer players and Wizards deliberately makes them kinda crummy so that they remain in good supply for new players to pick up. The fact that you got back into the game, bought a PW deck, played it and then started building on it tells me that it's actually working as intended :v:

Good point, and it was still fun for kitchen table magic with the kiddo even without tuning. :)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tainen posted:

Planeswalker Deck cards are considered part of the set. They have collectors numbers and everything. :goonsay:

You're right about the Welcome Decks though. Rabid Bite is still standard legal if you'd rather have that than Prey Upon or Pounce (or in addition to).

E: Also Raise Dead back from Ninth Edition wow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Good point, and it was still fun for kitchen table magic with the kiddo even without tuning. :)

In 2013(?) Wizards printed a cycle of Commander pre-cons where one of the new cards printed in only one of the five decks ended up being Legacy-playable. Guess which deck was impossible to find! Then they did it again the next time they printed Commander pre-cons, though I don't think the run on that one was quite as bad.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I wish the Sphinx from the welcome deck was playable because it does everything that is great in magic, 6/6, flying and for only 2U you get a +1/+1 counter AND draw a card!

What if he was the top end of a favorable winds deck...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

I wish the Sphinx from the welcome deck was playable because it does everything that is great in magic, 6/6, flying and for only 2U you get a +1/+1 counter AND draw a card!

What if he was the top end of a favorable winds deck...

it would still be a 6 mana creature that gives no value when it etbs or ltbs and dies to everything

if favorable winds is a good card, like any other Crusade, it'll be because it's surrounded by small, cheap fliers since it has a relatively large effect on them

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are some surprisingly decent reprints that got shown there. Time Warp is good, Shared Animosity has been creeping up in price because of casual/commander tribal decks, a couple other things over a dollar.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I vastly prefer this Blatant Thievery art.

Also cool, Threads of Disloyalty reprint.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

green stompy does not have disruption, combo decks lose to 1) decks that are faster than them and or 2) decks that can disrupt their combo

what would be a good example of disruption, by the way? Thalia?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I vastly prefer this Blatant Thievery art.

The flavor text isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Blatant Thievery: The perfect 7 mana sorcery for your low-to-the-ground aggro deck. :cripes: