Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I wholly reject the concept of tolerance as a virtue.

Tolerance is what you do when you have to. When you lack the ability to change something right this minute.

But the application of it to social issues is loving stupid. No you shouldn't tolerate people of other races, or other sexualities, or other nationalities, you should not have to tolerate them, because you should see nothing wrong with them to begin with and not have a drive to change them. Promoting tolerance is conceding that it's fine to want to eliminate those things as long as you don't act on it. And gently caress no it isn't fine. And it certainly isn't virtuous to set out with the idiotic belief that not acting when you feel it is vital to act, is a good thing. To set out with the intent of going up to abhorrent people and saying "hey, I know you think that black people are inherently inferior but I'm sure we can have a conversation like polite upstanding adults"

That's loving stupidity and culpability, not virtue.

On a vaguely similar note I have been saying for years:

It's not OK to be gay because you were born gay; it's OK to be gay because it doesn't negatively impact anyone.

It's such a basic human rights issue. Framing it that way was necessary because religion is still strangling the poo poo out of us.

So we made progress on one issue but we (America) learned nothing and don't understand basics, thus which plant you inhale the crude combustibles of still determines if you can be evicted at any time or not. And we have to make personal attacks any time we can suss out who the atheist is when Religion Hurts People Again, Surprise- because atheism = communism = the Soviet Union = YOU ARE LITERALLY STALIN. tips fedora

Those things are "choices," and they're the wrong ones because they aren't mine.

I see very little real progress. Interesting point about the dangers of arbitrary virtues, I had not considered that angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

FantasticExtrusion posted:

it's OK to be gay because it doesn't negatively impact anyone.

Uh...

As member of Tribal Group Twelve, the raising of children in our culture is very important to us. It's literally life or death for our religious/cultural identity. Having fewer babies *is material harm* to TGT. So you see, there is a negative impact to us when other people go around acting as if it's okay to do things sexually (or otherwise) that don't pertain to their task of pumping out and indoctrinating happy new Twelvers.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The poo poo Mouthy Buddha is doing is loving disgusting. Uncritically present refined & rehearsed Nazi propaganda as one side to a "problem"/"question" invented entirely by that group and set the other side up with strawman arguments the other side is equipped with "reasonable" counters to. Claim you're just presenting "Both Sides." All your fellow neo-Nazis can come in and applaud you for representing Both Sides because that is the most important thing in discourse, to give equal validity to every viewpoint, even centuries old conspiracies used to justify the displacement and murder of tens of millions of people.

He spends well over a minute in a video just listing the names and companies of Jewish CEOs.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

I did go to school with people who, back when the god delusion came out, were super thrilled by it. Whereas I didn't see the point because I was already atheist so why would I want to read it?

I feel like there's some specific psychological difference that makes some people like that stuff and others dislike it even if they technically agree with it.

I mean yeah just lol if u weren't an athiest by age 7 sitting in a church service with the cub scouts thinking how the whole idea of god is just stupid

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Less talk more guys who vlog from their cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF26dllnVhI

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8zxo7bqjU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

goodbye youtube im moving to vidme

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I thought Mouthy Buddha was sincere in his response video to Hbomberguy.

loving... nope.

JQ'ers, oh my god why would you use that loving phrase

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Just JQ-ing off no big deal.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I did go to school with people who, back when the god delusion came out, were super thrilled by it. Whereas I didn't see the point because I was already atheist so why would I want to read it?

I feel like there's some specific psychological difference that makes some people like that stuff and others dislike it even if they technically agree with it.
Egh, I think it's just where you're at. For some people, there is a point in there lives where the realization that religion is bunk is a really mind blowing concept. Unfortunately, a subset get stuck fiending the superiority they feel with this realization (/r/atheists, etc). But yeah, from my personal experience I understand being on the inside of that mind shift. The trick is to then move on and get over yourself. Or start a skeptic youtube channel as a talking skull.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

I mean yeah just lol if u weren't an athiest by age 7 sitting in a church service with the cub scouts thinking how the whole idea of god is just stupid

I think my soul was truly damned when I drew a thanksgiving hand turkey on the inside cover of a hymnal. Why else would they leave pencils back there? There was nothing else to write on...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

it's fun to imagine that guy driving somewhere and having to pull over because the urge to say something racist is too strong

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

goodbye youtube im moving to vidme

this appears to have lasted roughly two weeks

selec
Sep 6, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The poo poo Mouthy Buddha is doing is loving disgusting. Uncritically present refined & rehearsed Nazi propaganda as one side to a "problem"/"question" invented entirely by that group and set the other side up with strawman arguments the other side is equipped with "reasonable" counters to. Claim you're just presenting "Both Sides." All your fellow neo-Nazis can come in and applaud you for representing Both Sides because that is the most important thing in discourse, to give equal validity to every viewpoint, even centuries old conspiracies used to justify the displacement and murder of tens of millions of people.

He spends well over a minute in a video just listing the names and companies of Jewish CEOs.

It's easy to report him!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfEYr_hMunVaqHNXCpv9oQIpY4_ghKLeAxytXI8H0PqXPr6Zg/viewform

Make sure you use a timestamped youtube link in the evidence field, like 10:22 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74OokZdK7Hk

Shouldn't take very many reports to get this done y'all, it's obvious, unmitigated nazi propaganda.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Egh, I think it's just where you're at. For some people, there is a point in there lives where the realization that religion is bunk is a really mind blowing concept. Unfortunately, a subset get stuck fiending the superiority they feel with this realization (/r/atheists, etc). But yeah, from my personal experience I understand being on the inside of that mind shift. The trick is to then move on and get over yourself. Or start a skeptic youtube channel as a talking skull.

It seems like a generally applicable thing to a degree, like I mean even with this thread it's more a vile fascination with the subjects than anything, but the only videos I watch on the subject are Hbomb's because he's frankly funny and it saves me having to watch the originals myself.

But yeah the "rationals" seem to output this huge quantity of really low grade content that gets devoured by their fanbase which seems to primarily consist of the same poo poo repeated ad nauseum about how smart and pragmatic they are. That's what makes me think there A Thing in some people's heads that's wired differently so they can enjoy that. I can't think of any subject where I could just sit and be self congratulatory for that long.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Gotta say I was disappointed by TAE's Matt Dillahunty's view on thealt-right shitlords. I like him fine, but he seems to have taken to that academic, bloodless view of valuing terminology over meaning. "This guy hates and wishes death upon gays, communists and jews, but NOT gypsies. Therefore, I cannot in good conscience call him a nazi, and if you do, you are a moron and a liar, good sir!"

The fact that several of his fellows guests might have been moderating their discourse in a mixed event, compared to spewing straight bile when in their own echo chambers, also seems o have sailed right over his head. He could at least have given credit to, you know, people who actually -have- watched their material, which he admits he did not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SpaceViking posted:

It's a common enough origin story. I probably would have ended up the same way if I wasn't bigger on PZ Meyers than I was on Thunderf00t during the Elevatorgate debacle. Not that I don't also look back at my previous fondness of PZ and wonder why, but at least I ended up here.

Oh man, I haven't thought about PZ Meyers in years. Now that I think about it, though, Elevatorgate was around the time I realized that the "atheist community" on the internet wasn't what I thought it was, and tending to read PZ Meyers (while also being in grad school with a non-lovely group of friends) made it pretty easy to figure out where I stood on that one.

I do look back on the things I used to write during my "New Atheism is cool and I will now tell you all how stupid religion is" phase and cringe, though, even if I dodged being one of the extremely lovely ones.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
I'm probably really late to the party on this, but I found a video series that does a pretty good job of pinning down what makes a lot of the hate nerds tick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8XgGhXkTQ

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
a STEMlord who made his pug look like hitler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC7SeFWZYFmsm1tqWxfuOTPQ

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Funny tweet I needed to share. For context, Contra did another live stream rewatching and doing commentary on her older videos. This is from the Alpha Males video.

https://twitter.com/mewuron/status/917733149081325568

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think he looks like a human jojo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Specifically volume 1 manga Jojos.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

I think many/most people in general enjoy the feeling of being right about things, and arguments about religion are an area where 1. it's easy to find opponents and 2. the arguments are pretty straight-forward (at least if you're arguing against someone trying to prove god exists or denying evolution or something). This doesn't just apply to atheists; you see it a lot in political discussions as well, where many liberals/Democrats enjoy debating conservatives because they usually make easy opponents.

All this being said, I do think it reflects kind of poorly on a person if they continue to enjoy doing this for more than a couple years or into adulthood. I think most people in their teenage/college years can find this kind of thing appealing, but it gets kinda boring after a while.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I think many/most people in general enjoy the feeling of being right about things, and arguments about religion are an area where 1. it's easy to find opponents and 2. the arguments are pretty straight-forward (at least if you're arguing against someone trying to prove god exists or denying evolution or something). This doesn't just apply to atheists; you see it a lot in political discussions as well, where many liberals/Democrats enjoy debating conservatives because they usually make easy opponents.

All this being said, I do think it reflects kind of poorly on a person if they continue to enjoy doing this for more than a couple years or into adulthood. I think most people in their teenage/college years can find this kind of thing appealing, but it gets kinda boring after a while.

For the reactos in this thread it's definitely become an indispensable source of income. There's probably a steady stream of teens that come to and age out of their channels while they remain eternal teens, never growing and never learning because they don't know what else they can do.

It's a very stark contrast when you put it up against how much someone like Contrapoints has changed since starting out as Contrapoints, growing and experimenting and becoming something new. I don't even recognize Lindsay Ellis when I compare her with her Nostalgia Chick self.

The reactos are in hell, doomed to repeat the same steps forever.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I can't help but feel that it would be a bit rich for us to sit in a thread dedicated to mocking people with lovely regressive arguments and then turn around and suggest that people who enjoy reading a book dedicated to dispelling lovely regressive arguments are somehow psychologically different.

I think it's a shame though, that teenagers who have a materialist awakening end up on the channels of these twits, that transition them from rejecting one set of lovely regressive arguments straight into a different set of lovely regressive arguments. Imagine instead of Sargon and Thunderf00t being the poster manchildren of the internet rationalists, it was someone who followed up the anti-creationist stuff with "so next let's learn about the man who coined the phrase 'Religion is the opium of the people', Karl Marx".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I again feel like there's a bit of a difference between laughing at nazis on the internet and laughing at religious people.

Namely that you already know what religious people are like if you are in the market for the book laughing at them.

Whereas I admit this lot keep plumbing new depths of stupid and insane and that's most of why I read the thread.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Dog I didn't have "an awakening" - I was in Sunday school sitting on a carpet square, the entire time bored out of my mind. Someone said a man literally lived inside a living whale (for like quite some time), and I knew that wouldn't work because I had been swimming before.

The thousands of hours of boredom which followed only further strengthened my opinions.

No I am not going to find faith - unless you physically damage my brain. Which is pretty telling...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Oh good. For a second, I thought this was gonna be a vid from the Cinemasnob.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
TAA is a coward willing to change his opinions to satisfy his audience's likes and dislikes. I remember in a 2013, TAA rightfully called out Cult of Dusty for his sexist bullshit (it was in a 3 hour long QA video he did on "TJ Does Life" channel, so I'm not finding it myself). But a year and a half later when he gets the chance to have Dusty come on his Drunken Peasants show, suddenly they're good friends.

Similarly, he called out Atheism is Unstoppable for being racist. But after the outcry from his growing racist audience, TJ backtracked and even apologized to AIU.

What caused me to drop TJ altogether was his cowardice when criticized by a tiny blogger. Eventually, the blogger agreed to come to TJ in person to argue his point. TJ quickly backed out. I wouldn't have even known about the blogger's criticism if TJ hadn't made a whiny video about it on his main loving channel. But I'm glad he did, because it help me see what a stupid, yellow-bellied little gently caress-wit he really is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah I'll admit to having liked TAA way back when, when their primary stuff was still having fun in slapping down crappy people like venomfangx and all those kinda guys, but he smelled that e-bigot money and sure enough caved real quick when the gettin got good. Ever since then it's not surprising which path they went down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the Honest Trailers guy got fired from his job for sex abuse allegations

Christ what youtuber isn't turning out to be a sick gently caress these days?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So mouthybuddha and edgysphinx were kicked off YT before right? I guess the "community" wasn't ready for their naked Nazi agenda. But they are now. There are people like BuntyKing and Jeff Holdiay defending a literal Nazi propaganda video by MB. Frog in the pot etc...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I hope the CinemaSins guy is next.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Makes all the Honest Trailer "beeeewwbs" jokes 1000x more creepy than they already were.

Also

Regarde Aduck posted:

I hope the CinemaSins guy is next.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I imagine that a strong enough ego to try to run a youtube channel is a bit of a handicap when it comes to obeying laws & societal expectations that frustrate you.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the auralnauts guys are gonna turn out to be huge monsters too now, aren't they? :smith:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grouchio posted:

So the Honest Trailers guy got fired from his job for sex abuse allegations

Christ what youtuber isn't turning out to be a sick gently caress these days?

Look when you decide to make your livelyhood with internet videos only, the chances are good you're broken in some way or are on the verge of breaking.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Archer666 posted:

Look when you decide to make your livelyhood with internet videos only, the chances are good you're broken in some way or are on the verge of breaking.

gently caress you, HBomb is a goddamn saint

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Glazier posted:

gently caress you, HBomb is a goddamn saint

That's as maybe but he also thinks the Star Wars prequels are good films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archer666 posted:

People with production skills or who know about budgets seem exempt from this.

• Locked thread