Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That's not even the best song named February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDgOc3gMtFk

This is really good dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
December

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BRde7j6DFM

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Green Day rules

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon that all the stuff you get with racists or neo-Nazis or whatever probably would've happened anyway and would have been just as bad or even worse if either Clinton or Sanders had won.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Right, but in that case, the govt wouldn't be implicitly supporting them, so there's that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Destroying confederate monuments should get you a Presidential Medal of Freedom

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aramek posted:

Right, but in that case, the govt wouldn't be implicitly supporting them, so there's that.

Sure, I was reacting to stuff I was seeing on another forum where it was all people agreeing with each other about how if Clinton or Sanders had won none of this would have happened (on which note, this is why Trump will win again in 2020).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And Diane Feinstein is running again when she's 85 years old. Democrats need to clean house and bring in some new blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

And Diane Feinstein is running again when she's 85 years old. Democrats need to clean house and bring in some new blood.

Their three main prospects for 2020 are Sanders, Biden and Warren who will be 80, 76 and 74 respectively. Maybe Jerry Brown should throw his hat into the ring to make them look younger by comparison. :shrug:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Their three main prospects for 2020 are Sanders, Biden and Warren who will be 80, 76 and 74 respectively. Maybe Jerry Brown should throw his hat into the ring to make them look younger by comparison. :shrug:

Oh, that'll be fun, seeing the alt-right co-opt "California Uber Alles" over forty years after its release, like they did "Kill the Poor" back when it was new.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The way I see it, the only way you can beat a billionaire like Trump is with two billionaires. So what you need to do is nominate Oprah for president, and then get Michael Jordan to be vice-president, and you're all set.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Oh, that'll be fun, seeing the alt-right co-opt "California Uber Alles" over forty years after its release, like they did "Kill the Poor" back when it was new.

That was my first thought. Can't wait to see memes about the suede denim secret police.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Green Day rules

Go away, The Snoo.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Blue cheese is really good. Im not talking about blue cheese dressing either, just blue cheese itself. I like to eat it by itself and with crackers.

Many cheeses are actually quite good, if you give them a chance. Few know this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Blue cheese is really good. Im not talking about blue cheese dressing either, just blue cheese itself. I like to eat it by itself and with crackers.

Many cheeses are actually quite good, if you give them a chance. Few know this.

Have you tried it with a nice spicy gingerbread?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have you tried it with a nice spicy gingerbread?

No but it looks and sounds yummy!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000) is an insanely good and funny movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000) is an insanely good and funny movie.

It was OK. Another unpopular movie opinion from around that era: wild wild west owns and is will smith's best movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wild Wild West is the bad movie I most wanted to be good. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't agree that it's his best movie, but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. It's silly fun.

Related phuo: "good" and "entertaining" are different and unrelated qualities when it comes to movies.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Soto is better than pho.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wild Wild West is the bad movie I most wanted to be good. :(

The spider part was pretty stupid but it's kind of endearing considering the backstory of why they put it in the movie. Also the will smith song accompanying the movie is much better than the men in black ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The strangest thing about Wild Wild West is how the movie clearly wants to say something about Jim West being a black lawman patrolling the Deep South in the 1870s, but it also wants to have slapstick bits where he light-heartedly swaps insults with a former Confederate who mass murdered a bunch of freed slaves.

Fun facts about Wild Wild West: 1. It was originally going to be a Lethal Weapon reunion with Richard Donner directing, Mel Gibson playing Jim West and Shane Black writing the screenplay, which I think would have had better humour and better action; 2. Smith turned down playing Neo in The Matrix so he could make this movie.

Most underappreciated action movie from the 90s: toss-up between The Last Boy Scout and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Piper Perabo :swoon:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I watched the hell out of Rocky & Bullwinkle on Nickelodeon as a kid and really wanted to like the 2000 movie but it just didn't do much for me.

RIP June Foray :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wild Wild West is most notable because you get to see will smiths junk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't agree that it's his best movie, but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. It's silly fun.

Related phuo: "good" and "entertaining" are different and unrelated qualities when it comes to movies.

It's weird that so many people I know don't seem to agree with the second one.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The spider part was pretty stupid but it's kind of endearing considering the backstory of why they put it in the movie. Also the will smith song accompanying the movie is much better than the men in black ones.

The only story I heard was Neil gaiman claiming that the producer was originally going to do a sandman movie and insisted in putting a giant mechanical spider. When he didn't get his way the producer backed out of the project and picked up wild wild West and forced it in there

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Ride The Gravitron posted:

The only story I heard was Neil gaiman claiming that the producer was originally going to do a sandman movie and insisted in putting a giant mechanical spider. When he didn't get his way the producer backed out of the project and picked up wild wild West and forced it in there

Actually it was Superman

quote:

In his Q&A/comedy DVD, An Evening With Kevin Smith, writer/director Kevin Smith related an anecdote about working for Peters when he was hired to write a script for a new Superman movie, then called Superman Reborn, and later renamed Superman Lives. According to Smith, Peters had expressed disdain for most of Superman's iconic characteristics by demanding that Superman was never to fly or appear in his trademark costume. He also suggested Sean Penn as being ideal for the role, based on his performance as a death row inmate in Dead Man Walking saying that Penn had the eyes of a "caged animal, a loving killer." Peters then demanded that the third act of the film include a fight between Superman and a giant spider, to be unveiled in an homage to King Kong. Peters later produced the 1999 steampunk western Wild Wild West, the finale of which features a giant mechanical spider.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like it's actually both. Dude really wanted a mechanical spider

quote:

d the other thing is Hollywood executives really love the smell of their own urine and what they really like doing is urinating on things. And then going, “Hmm, now this smells really good” and being really puzzled when the rest of the world goes “No, actually it smells like pee.” A gorgeous example of that, Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, who wrote “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Shrek” and some lovely movies, were brought in by Jon Peters to write the first draft of the Sandman movie. He hadn’t actually read any “Sandman” because he had people to do that kind of stuff for him, but he had figured out that what the movie needed to be successful was a giant mechanical spider. He wanted a giant mechanical spider because that would make any film a hit. Elliot and Rossio, who had read “Sandman,” who went in with their pitch and looking forward to it and going, “But there’s no room for a giant mechanical spider.”

“I know it, I’m Jon Peters, and I want my giant mechanical spider!”

I was thrilled on going to see “Wild Wild West” to see that he had finally put this giant mechanical spider that I’d been hearing about from Elliot and Rossio for five years into a film with no ideas of any kind. I really think a lot of it is [executives] are wedded to their giant mechanical spiders and they’re also convinced they know best, because obviously they’re Hollywood executives.

http://www.cbr.com/the-mirrormask-interviews-neil-gaiman-dave-mckean/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sandman would totally have been improved by a giant mechanical spider. Not as some climactic fight, but just stomping around dreamland and chilling with Matthew and Pumpkin Dude.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The giant spider story is the infamous one but I like the one where the same guy wanted Sean Penn to play Superman because he's seen him in a movie where he played a death row inmate and thought he had the eyes of "a loving killer".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Kevin Smith highly embellished that whole story. Also not cool for making GBS threads on the producer's previous job of being a hair dresser. Like that's any worse than what Smith was doing before.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wild Wild West is most notable because you get to see will smiths junk

How can his junk be real if Keurigs aren't real.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There's a documentary about the making of Superman Lives with an extensive interview with Peters (and others), and he confirms a lot of that stuff in it. Also claims he's a street fighter with over 200 victories, and other crazy stuff. Some of the crew talk about how he would demonstrate "jujitsu moves" on them for fun without asking permission. Real swell, grounded guy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2753778/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Kevin Smith highly embellished that whole story. Also not cool for making GBS threads on the producer's previous job of being a hair dresser. Like that's any worse than what Smith was doing before.

Smith also has a story about being on set for the first day of either Batman Forever or Batman and Robin and reacting with horror and disgust when Joel Schumacher announced, "Remember, everyone; this is basically a cartoon."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Kevin Smith highly embellished that whole story.

imho the only thing that's embellished is his actual telling of the story, the events are most likely factual but through selective language smith downplays (but doesn't eliminate, that's key to keeping it mostly factual) certain parts to make himself look more favorable and other parts to make peters look worse like weirdly mentioning peters' old job

peters is supposedly talented at noticing issues in scripts, such as pacing or weak characterization, but he is not talented at providing solutions and in smith's story you don't need to read between the lines to understand that smith was letting peters walk all over him without doing anything other than being an actual honest to goodness yes man to any dumb thing peters suggests, smith justifies it by saying he was just a nerd blown away by the chance of writing superman so he was less confrontational than usual even though he actually got the job by aggressively making GBS threads all over an alternate script with some execs- smith literally does not question to peters' face his dumb ideas about superman not flying or wearing the costume very much or including a random giant spider fight - smith just strokes his chin and says hmm interesting, i'll see if i can work that in as a thanagarian snare beast

when peters thinks there are points where the script has gone too long without some action and suggests that the villain kills some polar bears or something, smith just goes that's dumb but alright i guess and in the final draft braniac actually slaughters some polar bears

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kevin Smith sucks

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

Kevin Smith sucks

I remember liking Dogma a lot when I was younger but I rewatched it recently and all I could think is what the gently caress was I thinking back then? His movies are poo poo. That said, I did post ITT about liking wild wild west, so take my movie opinions with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only good thing Kevin Smith ever made was the original Clerks.