Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the term for that thing where the dialogue plays one letter at a time and each letter gets a sound effect attached to it? Because I don't like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Read the dialogue out loud. Bonus if you do an impression of the character

Oh you bet your rear end I've done this before. But you're not always in the mood / have the energy.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

What's the term for that thing where the dialogue plays one letter at a time and each letter gets a sound effect attached to it? Because I don't like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9K4N328OI8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am watching Escape from New York for the first time. This movie seems pretty neat.

Also I think it's really cool that John Carpenter's producing partner wanted to sue Kojima for copyright infringement but Carpenter was like "Nah, that guy is cool"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's the only Carpenter movie I kind of like.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

:crossarms:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am watching Escape from New York for the first time. This movie seems pretty neat.

Also I think it's really cool that John Carpenter's producing partner wanted to sue Kojima for copyright infringement but Carpenter was like "Nah, that guy is cool"

https://twitter.com/thehorrormaster/status/382605068026904576

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Its great. But Escape from LA is a completely different sort of film.

Raxivace posted:

what

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much everything Carpenter did up until 1994 was gold.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh and my favorite bit of Escape from NY trivia

This "wireframe" digital computer scan of the city of NY was going to use up the entire film budget if they actually CG'd it back in the day.

So what did they do? They built a scale model of NY and then covered the corners of the buildings in reflective tape and filmed it in the dark.

It totally works!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just find a lot of his stuff boringly explicit. :shrug:

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh and my favorite bit of Escape from NY trivia
IIRC James Cameron was a huge part of the special effects team for this sequence (If that's from the part with the glider that I'm thinking of anyways).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh and this theme is mega-rad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1JYDmo19to :krad:

Raxivace posted:

IIRC James Cameron was a huge part of the special effects team for this sequence (If that's from the part with the glider that I'm thinking of anyways).

Yep that's the one.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The orc generator in Shadow of War is really great this time around, you get some fantastically rowdy boys out of it.

This guy had a hatred of bugs but then he died due to bugs so he embraced them and they live in him now apparently

These two large adult sons share a body and they have a fantastic little monologue

And this scrappy little rascal is just beautifully terrifying.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raxivace posted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Matte painting, the lost art. I would love to have someone paint the Indiana Jones warehouse on my glass door.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are a lot of insanely talented matte painters still working. It's often cheaper than extending the set that far in cg.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed Escape from New York. I earnestly love how slow and uncoordinated American action heroes were in this era, like there will be a ten second shot of them clumsily scaling a brick wall and then almost falling over.

And yeah, John Carpenter music is always rad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed Escape from New York. I earnestly love how slow and uncoordinated American action heroes were in this era, like there will be a ten second shot of them clumsily scaling a brick wall and then almost falling over.

And yeah, John Carpenter music is always rad

The alley fight in They Live is one of the best six minutes in cinematic history.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I LOVE The Thing.

Probably 6th favourite movie of all time!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Thing is really good and much like the ending to Blade Runner, it always annoys me when people try to figure out which of MacReady and Childs is human and/or the Thing. It's like man, the ambiguity is what makes that conversation interesting (it's better thematically if they're both human though).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

maybe you've wondered how to play ark: survival evolved. I got you covered fam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-_gxG1pQp8

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Evil Within, can I stealth kill the Ruvik clone in Chapter 13?

It seems like any time I try and sneak up on him he immediately turns around.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I loved escape from New York.
Tbf, at the time i was very biased because his name was Snake Pliskin and i had already played MGS1 and MGS2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

Which is chapter 13?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

No, Ruvik clones can't be stealth killed, I don't think they even have heads to stab under the hoods. You can knock them over and burn them just like any other enemy though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is chapter 13?

The first city chapter.

edit: Scratch that it's the second one, after the bus ride.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I messed around with it some more and it turns out you CAN stealth kill them (At least on whatever this game's Normal Mode is called, maybe its different on the harder difficulties you have to unlock), but there has to be literally nothing other than you crouching making noise and also you have to mash the assassinate button fuckin' fast.

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is chapter 13?
It's a part where it has me sneaking through an apartment building with a bunch of acid traps installed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, neat, I didn't think it was possible even with flash bolt stuns (which I think don't affect them at all??). Do you just stab the knife into the hood? There's straight up no face under there so I wonder what happens if you go for the jaw instead.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the knife just goes into his hood.

Honestly it's kind of a pain to set up- normally I would have just shot him but I wasted a bit too much ammo earlier and had to rely on the stealth here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
John Carpenter's The Thing is one of two horror movies that I can say I legitimately love (the other being Alien). That movie is so freaking cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Another great aspect about The Thing (1982) is that there's not a single unnecessary scene. Less than two hours long, same as the original Blade Runner. Somehow in the last 35 years Hollywood has completely forgotten how to make a well-paced movie that does not waste the audience's time. Anybody who makes a dumb comic book movie lasting over 120 minutes should be fired.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tfw you stay up all night to buy a house in a video game and don't get the one you want but still love the house you ended up with even though it's tiny and in the worst location in the game. yeah, that feel.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What do you do with a video game house

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagine that feel but it's real life

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

it's the spooky month so for now turn it into a haunted house. I started by hanging halloween wallpaper and buying a table that looks like a tonberry

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

homeless snail posted:

a table that looks like a tonberry

hmm. ah. rest in power

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

I put a juke box in mine with this song on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0P9jHV8dQ

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

cover all the walls with the captain's waifu
ear-ly in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Did any of the Fallout 4 DLC turn it into a game worth playing or should I just play New Vegas again

• Locked thread