Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I think I'm probably a Veteran by now. Reconing an island loaded with SAMs and getting almost blown out of the sky by a Chinese knockoff stinger has to be worth some decent XP, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Tapco should be a Veteran if he ever gets a Gripen and a Regular on anything else.

I have no idea where Tapco is with relation to getting his rear end back in the seat.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Pthighs is an ace. Pthighs Jr, should he ever be required, will be a novice.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CMANO just got a big update. I'm going to wait until it drops on Steam and thoroughly work through the scenario again and make sure there's nothing unexpected.

A few things that caught my eye :

• * Major performance boost on map pan/zoom on large scenarios
  • * Lofted AAW missiles (AMRAAM, SM-2, AIM-7F/M etc.) now adjust their loft ceiling depending on the distance to estimated intercept point. This prevents very sharp "rise up, dive down" trajectory profiles that can cause problems with endgame guidance.
  • * Various improvements to mission-planning AI.
  • * MAJOR NEW: All-new Lua Console v2 :swoon:
  • * New feature: Tactical chaff laying.
  • Chaff is most effective against older radar sets (Late 1960s tech and before). As signal processing improves, this technique becomes increasingly obsolete (AESAs in particular ignore chaff altogether).

Chaff :

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Grapeshot needs to be an Ace to survive attack missions on AA assets in fog in his Italian death trap piece of poo poo plane.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Also of note for procurment

quote:

- Modern AAW missiles with advanced fuzes get more effective "applied" damage (their nominal DP value is multiplied). This effect starts from the late 1970s and gradually increases for each successive tech generation. As an example, late-1980s weapons get a 15% improvement and early-2010s weapons get a 40% improvement over nominal. (So very modern weapons even with a miniscule warhead can still cause tremendous damage).

#11262 - DB3000: Add hypothetical UK F-117's

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Whoever purchased the Hayard Gunnes cup, please send me pictures when it arrives, I'm curious how it looks!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
There's been some discussion about AESA RADAR in the Airpower thread. From the sounds of things if we get the opportunity to upgrade our Gripens to the E/F standard or procure more, we really should go for it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Scenario is tested, bugs mostly worked out. I hope. I'm aiming for a Sunday run, earlier in the day rather than later. Not sure what that'll be just yet, but you get the idea.

And then comes Procurement. Yay! We all love procurement! What exactly is available will depend on both our ability to complete the mission objective and how much poo poo we have left.

Each of our three suppliers will present a core package and several add on packages. We can pick ONE core, and ONE add-on package from that core supplier.

To explain more : K&P might propose a core of Gripen's with an add-on being Super Etenards, and the other add-on being a Saab 2000 and a Norwegian ELINT ship. First we'll choose the supplier and then we go into "angry procurement discussion time" and you people get to bludgeon each other about why the ELINT ship is awesome.

Of particular interest in this operation is how many USN subs survive. This will directly impact a special procurement option from Admiral Halsey III.

Hmm, I wonder what the US Navy could offer that an air focused PMC might want?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Nimitz-class carrier.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just an FYI. The F-16XL is in the database...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16XL#/media/File:F-16XL_loaded_with_500lb_bombs.jpg

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/4194/

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I would gladly receive one or two wings of Super Hornets or a Growler from the USN for services rendered.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

A damned shame the Vigilante is only in the cold war DB (modern has a recon but that doesn't count). A further shame that they still won't just merge the two databases but I guess they tied their own hands by sharing the ID spaces instead of using GUIDs or something.

Or maybe it's just a flight of AV-8As or some other USMC aviation castoffs. Or the tanker-variant S-3s. The options are endless!

I of course want a Stingray.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Clearly the USN is preparing to offer us the finest captured I-400-class submarine they still have mothballed to strengthen both our naval and aviation components in one fell swoop.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yooper posted:

Hmm, I wonder what the US Navy could offer that an air focused PMC might want?

I swear to god if that fucker tries to sell us F-35s I'm doing to kick his rear end.

(It'll probably be good planes like Hornets though)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You're all thinking way too small. Halsey's gonna offer us a Nimitz to turn into our mobile corporate HQ.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dr. Snark posted:

I swear to god if that fucker tries to sell us F-35s I'm doing to kick his rear end.

F-35s in CMANO are some hilarious bullshit and if they ever showed up we should buy them immediately. F-22s are technically better in some regards, but the gap is really small excepting payload differences. Though I doubt Yooper's stance on not giving us stealth fighters has changed (Stingrays :() since that would wipe out almost all of the challenge.

LO is some serious poo poo. Don't knock it just cause the procurement program has been a clown show of the highest order.

e: before someone yells at me about the F-35 totally being stealthier than an F-22 or whatever again: I only refer to the game's stats, I have no idea how they match up in reality and if my non-clearance-having rear end did that would be really really bad in its own way

power crystals fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 10, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Especially given that our typical tactics involve using our incredibly good AEW plane all the time and never emitting with our fighters, which is one of the few things that can easily give a stealth aircraft away. A few F-35s at the top end of our capabilities would be a great fit for us.

We're never getting them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe it'll be an AEGIS platform.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

A carrier would be cool

... They're gonna give us the USS Enterprise aren't they?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's not an F-35 or an F-22.

If anything I want to move us away from the huge gently caress off range stand off stuff. Sure it's cool to launch an AAM 300km, but unless all of your poo poo can do it then everything else feels gimped. It's really stark how incredible the difference is between just a decades worth of production. So if we enter into the realm of F-35's then most of our fleet becomes retardedly obsolete as the threats we need to face are demon spawn SAM's that eat everything and anything except Gen V fighters.

Speaking "In-Character" the nation states of the world are seeing a proliferation of PMC's and most are fine with it. It's making the aerospace suppliers happy and driving costs down for modern fighters. But the various nations are worried that these PMC's might challenge them. So instead of offering the Cadillac/Corvette/McClaren of fighter jets technology they are looking more at the Impala/Peugot/Land Rover style. Old(er) production lines are coming back on line and the modern fighters are seeing slightly reduced capabilities.

Big Nations want to make sure they have the utmost in reach and range to prevent one country from hiring a PMC to do it's dirty work. (Imagine that!) As such our availability of long range standoff missiles will become either reduced or in some cases outright eliminated.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I don't understand car analogies. I thought Land Rovers were considered very good--rugged and effective. And the other branch is racing cars? We're not doing airshows, we're shooting at other aircraft, though?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look guys I think we are getting 24 A-4K and you should make your peace with that

If it's good enough for Muldoon, it's good enough from GOONS.

He's the gooniest PM anyways, who else calls a snap election when drunk, that they lose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLDve40cxlk

slothrop fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 10, 2017

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

If anything I want to move us away from the huge gently caress off range stand off stuff. Sure it's cool to launch an AAM 300km, but unless all of your poo poo can do it then everything else feels gimped. It's really stark how incredible the difference is between just a decades worth of production. So if we enter into the realm of F-35's then most of our fleet becomes retardedly obsolete as the threats we need to face are demon spawn SAM's that eat everything and anything except Gen V fighters.

Speaking "In-Character" the nation states of the world are seeing a proliferation of PMC's and most are fine with it. It's making the aerospace suppliers happy and driving costs down for modern fighters. But the various nations are worried that these PMC's might challenge them. So instead of offering the Cadillac/Corvette/McClaren of fighter jets technology they are looking more at the Impala/Peugot/Land Rover style. Old(er) production lines are coming back on line and the modern fighters are seeing slightly reduced capabilities.

Big Nations want to make sure they have the utmost in reach and range to prevent one country from hiring a PMC to do it's dirty work. (Imagine that!) As such our availability of long range standoff missiles will become either reduced or in some cases outright eliminated.

B-b-but our Gripen backbone!

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't understand car analogies. I thought Land Rovers were considered very good--rugged and effective. And the other branch is racing cars? We're not doing airshows, we're shooting at other aircraft, though?

Basically, yes. In that analogy the higher end cars are the equivalent of Rafales and stealth fighters while the others are Gripens and F-16s.. Gripen = Land Rover is a good comparison.

Will theatre choices affect weapon availability? Meteors having a reasonably high availability in Europe but being subject to tolls or outright embargoes in South America for example.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 10, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It seems totally reasonable to offer us useful stuff that a major power is still sure it can kill just in case.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

PenguinSalsa posted:

Basically, yes. In that analogy the higher end cars are the equivalent of Rafales and stealth fighters while the others are Gripens and F-16s.. Gripen = Land Rover is a good comparison.

Will theatre choices affect weapon availability? Meteors having a reasonably high availability in Europe but being subject to tolls or outright embargoes in South America for example.

Gripens and F-16s are still awesome, so that's fine, then. Maybe some F-20s for flavor. MiG-29s for Russian flavor. Yeah, that's not too much of a change, really.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Superbugs have way better range than F-16's while also still being incredible knife-fighters right? And the USN is replacing a lot of those aging airframes around now, so!

Oh, what about a pair of F-117s snagged from the USAF? They aren't so used anymore with all of the other, less wobbly more stealthy airframes the US has now, and we would have to be very, very careful to understand that RADAR can still find them if they get too close, but the extra utility would be interesting.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 10, 2017

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dr. Snark posted:

... But F-35 are just so much better planes than hornets in basically every possible way...

But anyway, hornets would make sense at this point as the USN would be converting the last of it's squadrons to F-35.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Super Hornets and Gripen Es are probably the limit of what we'll be allowed to buy.

We could get some more utility/recon aircraft in addition to the obvious Hornets and Growlers:

- A Fire Scout or two could be useful.
- Ospreys are cool.
- A Hawkeye to replace or supplement the S100B.
- And, of course, Harriers. Because I like Harriers. :v:

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 10, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Yooper posted:

It's such a shame we can't edit the database for pimped out old Mirages and other things.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Superbugs have absoutely godawful range due to the canted pylons being the only way for it to safely use its munitions.

Also, if we're going older, EWAR Lansens :getin:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If only Super Tomcats were a thing in this world. Yes I know they're in the DB but aren't being implemented in the LP.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

F-15s would be nice, especially if I got me an SE to move that mud.

I doubt we'll be getting access to one of those All The Bombs Under The Sun Migs now that Russia is pissed off with us.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Comedy option, the F-17 finally enters production.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dance Officer posted:

It's such a shame we can't edit the database for pimped out old Mirages and other things.

One other thing I wanted to say on this point-

It's trivial to merge the Cold War and Modern DBs (I have a tool to do that that as one step in how I look up things like "what plane has the most bombs by weight" and then I am inevitably sad when I find stuff in the DB we can't use), and even easier to change numbers around. However, the game won't bother admitting the existence of new DBs nor will it load modified existing ones. I assume the dbinfo thing is just a dictionary of database to some kind of hash, but it's encrypted. But I remember reading somewhere that there's a more advanced license that does allow messing with this stuff. I just have no idea how you get it, it's sure as hell not on Steam. You probably have to be Important and fork over some absurd quantity of money for it. A man can dream, anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My great dream is still an endless stream of F-20 Tigersharks.

Just everyone blasted with tigersharks.

No end to them.

They're less expensive than the missiles killing them.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

One other thing I wanted to say on this point-

It's trivial to merge the Cold War and Modern DBs (I have a tool to do that that as one step in how I look up things like "what plane has the most bombs by weight" and then I am inevitably sad when I find stuff in the DB we can't use), and even easier to change numbers around. However, the game won't bother admitting the existence of new DBs nor will it load modified existing ones. I assume the dbinfo thing is just a dictionary of database to some kind of hash, but it's encrypted. But I remember reading somewhere that there's a more advanced license that does allow messing with this stuff. I just have no idea how you get it, it's sure as hell not on Steam. You probably have to be Important and fork over some absurd quantity of money for it. A man can dream, anyway.

We've looked into the pro version. But I'm going to stick with the commercial version. One, I don't want to go too far down the rabbit-hole of custom crazy stuff. Two, anyone can load up the stuff we're doing and test it out. I'm fairly certain if there is enough of a demand for a crazy world CMANO then we'll see it. But to most of the CMANO community this is a serious-business simulator for armchair admirals and the like.

I hope we'll see more stuff like this and the Saros / Rubric Marine / Bgreman Aurora LP's where people merge story / RPG / tactical simulation all into an awesome package. Then you can take crazy detailed rulesets and enjoy it without the tedium of a Phoenix Command / Palladium Rifts world pen and paper RPG.

A caveat, if someday CMANO offers a PlaneBuilder or BoatBuilder and we can do it in a manner that the community can use it, then I'm all for jumping on board. I'd love to see a "Design our Plane" phase. loving love it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Comedy military procurement phase where someone pretends to be a military defense contractor and spends X years to turn out something overbudget and under spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

I'd love to see a "Design our Plane" phase. loving love it.

Saint Celestine posted:

Comedy military procurement phase where someone pretends to be a military defense contractor and spends X years to turn out something overbudget and under spec.

Yeah, if we thought real world development programs were messy and convoluted, wait until we have a Goon version of 'Battle of the YFs', complete with actual cloak and dagger intrigue and Russian Circus Bears.