Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My GF is getting my Tylt since I still have it and her phone (v30) has wireless charging now (and my pixel 2 doesn't). It won't be as fast, but it'll fully charge it overnight, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm doing the pixel trade in deal. I just got an email that my trade in kit had shipped, but the new phone won't get here for a few weeks. I didn't see anything on their site about "must be received by x date", so I hope they aren't planning on receiving it before the new one shows up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They have me a wireless charging cradle with my Droid Turbo 2, and I don't have to be precise.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Samsung ones come with the little round disc I think

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm doing the pixel trade in deal. I just got an email that my trade in kit had shipped, but the new phone won't get here for a few weeks. I didn't see anything on their site about "must be received by x date", so I hope they aren't planning on receiving it before the new one shows up.

Reddit was all over this. The kit contains language saying you have some days after your phone arrives, plenty of time for the pixel 30 day return period to get your pixel, send your old phone in, and get it returned if you rejected the offer and file a return for your new pixel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Google confirmed that the Pixel 2 can actually charge up to 27 watts... does anyone know if this 30 watt Anker charger will do the trick, or does it need to support some specific protocol?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y427WT7/

Edit: Nevermind, apparently Google went back and de-confirmed it: https://www.cnet.com/news/pixel-2-xl-27-watt-usb-c-power-delivery/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 10, 2017

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So I know the topic says get a Pixel, but I'm assuming that refers to the Pixel 2. I have a choice between the original Pixel and the S7 Edge both for free but I can only get one. Internet research indicates that the S7 is slightly better but it's pretty close. Does anyone have strong thoughts on the matter? I tried reading back a bit but this thread is loooong.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Flea Bargain posted:

So I know the topic says get a Pixel, but I'm assuming that refers to the Pixel 2. I have a choice between the original Pixel and the S7 Edge both for free but I can only get one. Internet research indicates that the S7 is slightly better but it's pretty close. Does anyone have strong thoughts on the matter? I tried reading back a bit but this thread is loooong.

Bad assumption

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Flea Bargain posted:

Pixel 1 is better than the s7 in every way, including longevity.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Flea Bargain posted:

highly recommend you do not get an S7 and get a pixel instead, its better in nearly every way

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

You won't get very many terribly vocal Samsung supporters in this thread, I don't think. The S7 is... fine for what it is, I guess, but I think for most of us the Pixel has advantages in the most important areas: software/ease of use, camera, and battery life.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have an S7 Edge and the Pixel blows it out of the water in every possible way. If you have those two as an option, get the Pixel without hesitation please.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The weird thing about having the original Pixel still around to recommend at $100 cheaper is being able to recommend it to people in this situation.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If I plug my pixel into my HP laptop's Type C charger will it explode?

Edit: this thing is so goddamn unpleasant to hold compared to the recent iPhone designs. It's not that much bigger, but the squared sides kind of suck.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 10, 2017

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
If the phone is in Do Not Disturb / Alarms Only mode, will official Emergency Alerts still make noises?

I'm in California, and they issued an Emergency Alerts to say that there were mandatory evacuations this afternoon, about 5 miles from me. The wildfires are burning less than 10 miles from me, and I'm concerned about going to sleep tonight without a way to make sure that I know if evacuations are ordered in the middle of the night.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mnemosyne posted:

If the phone is in Do Not Disturb / Alarms Only mode, will official Emergency Alerts still make noises?

I'm in California, and they issued an Emergency Alerts to say that there were mandatory evacuations this afternoon, about 5 miles from me. The wildfires are burning less than 10 miles from me, and I'm concerned about going to sleep tonight without a way to make sure that I know if evacuations are ordered in the middle of the night.

Or you could :frogout: now.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

dont be mean to me posted:

Or you could :frogout: now.

I could, but I don't really have anywhere to go (we moved a few years ago from the east coast, so all family/friends are ~3,000 miles away), and I have 2 small kids. And my husband thinks I'm ridiculous for even being concerned that they might evacuate us, so there's no chance he's going anywhere.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Or you could turn off DnD.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I went windows phone -> iOS a while ago and don’t love it. I’ve got a 128GB Pixel 2 XL on order but the glut of cheap Pixel XLs for roughly half the price has me reconsidering (as does the lack of the headphone jack).

Beyond maybe not getting Android Quacker Jack (or whatever the hell it’ll be called) any super compelling reason not to just get a Pixel XL to dip my toe in the water vs waiting for the Pixel 2?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Or you could turn off DnD.

Then my phone is going to make noises all night long and wake me up every few hours.

I guess I'll have to go through and disable everything temporarily.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Maneki Neko posted:

I went windows phone -> iOS a while ago and don’t love it. I’ve got a 128GB Pixel 2 XL on order but the glut of cheap Pixel XLs for roughly half the price has me reconsidering (as does the lack of the headphone jack).

Beyond maybe not getting Android Quacker Jack (or whatever the hell it’ll be called) any super compelling reason not to just get a Pixel XL to dip my toe in the water vs waiting for the Pixel 2?

I say go for the OG if you aren't totally sold on either the design, water resistance, or updated SoC on the new Pixels. The Pixel will still give you a very good feel of how an android phone should operate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It depends on what you want. The Pixel 2, especially in the XL variant, is a clearly superior phone. It has a notably better camera (even though the OG Pixel camera is still quite good). The chipset is much more power efficient. The IP67 is important to some people.

It is a worthwhile upgrade, but the Pixel is still going to be a great phone if you want to save money. A year on, and it doesn't really have any fatal flaws.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mnemosyne posted:

They should, yes. I might also suggest going into your emergency alert settings (under sound settings) and cranking up the alert sound duration if you're worried about it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Go for the OG pixel unless you have money to burn. It's still an absolutely fantastic device, and if the headphone jack is important to you (it's important to me too) you may be happier with the pixel 1 anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mnemosyne posted:

Then my phone is going to make noises all night long and wake me up every few hours.

I guess I'll have to go through and disable everything temporarily.

Oh the horrors you have to go through to avoid being burned alive.

JFC

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Oh the horrors you have to go through to avoid being burned alive.

JFC

All I can say is nobody around here seems very concerned, and they're acting like I'm nuts for thinking it's possible that it might be dangerous. My kid's school is 6 miles from the fire and they haven't even cancelled school for tomorrow.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting from the Fi thread, it looks like the Android One Moto X4 is being delayed by a week due to production issues.

People on Reddit are super pissed about it. One person complained to Project Fi's customer support and got a $19 account credit (which refunds their expedited shipping).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ola posted:

On my Firefox, if I hold an image it opens a dialog with two tabs, one for link (with copy/open in new tab), another for the image (share/save). Does yours not have the two tabs?

Used to, now after an update at some point it just selects the image and gives me the option to copy it and such along the top of the screen as if I'd selected a block of text. Also was there a Firefox app thread, I could have sworn there was one but I can't find it. Maybe I'm just thinking of the general Firefox thread in shsc.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
Looks like OnePlus is being naughty and has baked some nasty phone-home software into OxygenOS.

Bad, OnePlus, bad!

https://www.chrisdcmoore.co.uk/post/oneplus-analytics/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rickets posted:

Looks like OnePlus is being naughty and has baked some nasty phone-home software into OxygenOS.

Bad, OnePlus, bad!

lmao why would they even do this

like all they need to do is refresh a reddit tab and get the same data

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rickets posted:

Bad, OnePlus, bad!

something something never settle

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
From reddit concerning the Oxygen OS data collection:

quote:

[–]ADoggyDogWorld 249 points 8 hours ago
This poo poo is why I always nuke everything and flash a reputable 3rd party ROM (meaning not even the likes of XDA-tier remixes like "Resurrection" or "NitrogenOS").
The problem is even if I stick with the gold standard - LineageOS - there's still the stupid legacy of them having Google Analytics baked right into the phone settings app (I don't know if that's still the case now).
I just want a phone that does only what I want it to do, drat it. Why is getting this bit of general computing done right so hard?

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

lol

I had no idea RMS was a Redditor.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

cage-free egghead posted:

lol

Eh at least LineageOS is properly open sourced so anybody with the technical know-how can actually see who is doing what. Otherwise you have to hope some geek just happens to analyze his network traffic and notices some weird poo poo in there.

But I feel like this is not the place to talk about open source

FAUXTON posted:

lmao why would they even do this

like all they need to do is refresh a reddit tab and get the same data

If I were giving OnePlus the benefit of the doubt I would say some enterprising but bumbling engineer wanted some high level debugging information and did it the stupid way.... but this is pretty dumb.

Rickets fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2017

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
People will still line up to buy their phones because they think the price is right.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does anyone with a phone with smaller bezels have difficulty typing with the keyboard? Wondering if it feels much different compared to a phone with larger bezels.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mnemosyne posted:

All I can say is nobody around here seems very concerned, and they're acting like I'm nuts for thinking it's possible that it might be dangerous. My kid's school is 6 miles from the fire and they haven't even cancelled school for tomorrow.
You're however being pretty dramatic about the smartphone involvement in all of this. Back in the day, people didn't have personal alarm devices. And if you're so concerned, a bunch of stray notifications in the night can't be that ballbreaking.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, my Nexus 6P, which was subsidized through my carrier (Rogers) is going through that horrible battery issue, powering off at like 60% battery and poo poo like that. Not to mention it just feels slow as hell (compared to when it was new). My contract is up on Boxing day, but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

Money is a bit of an issue, so I would definitely want to subsidize again. It would cost just under $50 to get out of the contract now, as opposed to waiting.

I guess my question is.....I'm debating if I should wait until Black Friday deals next month or Boxing day deals to see what deals are available (looking at Pixel 2 (XL), LG V30, or the S8 (+)), or just go and get the 0$ down OG Pixel XL right now and pay the $50 to get out of my contract. The OG Pixel XL will last me another 2 years without much issues right? I'm so used to getting a "this year" phone when getting a new phone that my insides are screaming to just wait it out another month or 2. But dealing with this lovely battery problem and carrying a battery pack with me wherever I go is getting old real fast.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does anyone with a phone with smaller bezels have difficulty typing with the keyboard? Wondering if it feels much different compared to a phone with larger bezels.

No problems here, in fact I'd say it makes things easier given that my thumb doesn't need to travel as far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With so much focus on Samsung and LG, can't we all just agree that the real poo poo manufacturer at this point is Huawei?

All the bootloops with none of the battery life.