Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Blind Rasputin posted:

What was that gesture?

Hard press the left side of the screen to bring up the app switcher. Same as double tapping the home button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

iajanus posted:

All I want for Christmas 11.1 is the battery drain to be lessened.

Is this battery drain issue just on older devices? On my shiny new 8 the battery life is ridiculously improved vs my old 6s. I used to come home from work with maybe 20% left, now I come home with 70%+.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

BGrifter posted:

Is this battery drain issue just on older devices? On my shiny new 8 the battery life is ridiculously improved vs my old 6s. I used to come home from work with maybe 20% left, now I come home with 70%+.

I'm not sure; it's affected everyone I know with an iPhone but only one of them has an 8 and might be exaggerating (or just wanting to be like us, the cool 7 crowd).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It hasn’t affected my 5S. The new iOS is rock solid and my battery is as good as ever which is surprising given how late in its lifetime my phone is.

This is a far cry from when early iOS used to make last year’s phone unuseable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't have any (new) battery problems with iOS 11 on a 6S but batteries are a tricky thing and can work fine for one phone and bad in another.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Do the Apple leather/silicon cases still have that monstrous lip around the screen they had for the 6 models? There is a lack of good angle photos to check before I spend $60 on one and no Apple store nearby to check.

There is a huge lack of plain black cases that aren't tacticlol bulky bullshit.

I just want to be able to hide my steel plate for my magnet mount and have a decent rubbery case to protect it from minor drops.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Laserface posted:

Do the Apple leather/silicon cases still have that monstrous lip around the screen they had for the 6 models? There is a lack of good angle photos to check before I spend $60 on one and no Apple store nearby to check.

I just want to be able to hide my steel plate for my magnet mount and have a decent rubbery case to protect it from minor drops.

The leather case is similar to the 6s cases, but with little metal buttons over the spots where the real buttons are. There is a slight lip around the screen, though it doesn't bother me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Laserface posted:

There's still a lip, but I wouldn't call it monstrous. From what I can recall, the leather cases have had the same lip since the 6, which is ever so slightly smaller than the lip on the silicone models (at least in the cases I've owned.) Maybe 1mm?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So they're bringing 3D Touch app switcher back in 11.1. So weird that they "couldn't get it working" for 11.0 so you have this situation where the 6s/7 shipped with it, then the 8 doesn't ship with it but gets it a month or so in and then the X... might have it???
Really bizarre.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

There's still a lip, but I wouldn't call it monstrous. From what I can recall, the leather cases have had the same lip since the 6, which is ever so slightly smaller than the lip on the silicone models (at least in the cases I've owned.) Maybe 1mm?

The lip allows me to lay the phone face down without worrying about scratching it up. All hail the lip.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

I just searched Amazon for "black iPhone case" and plenty of options that aren't tacticool crap came up.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
[quote="spongeworthy" post="477227854"]
I don't know about Windows, but on Mac they are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

I imagine the folder naming scheme is similar on Windows. Just copy those folders in Backup on to another storage device.

The folder naming scheme is fine. The problems is that my iPhone has the same amount of storage as my SSD so I need to make a link between the primary folder on the SSD and a secondary folder on my HDD. iTunes is loving dumb and won't let you change the location in which it stores the iPhone backup.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I just switched. I'm not proud, but I did. Went from an S8+ and android wear, to an iPhone 8 and a series 3 without LTE. Regardless of how many features get added and implemented into Android, (had a pixel before the s8+) they never just, work smoothly without intense loving around, and I got tired of it. So far, feels good man.

The main thing i'll miss is texting integration from windows computers.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 10, 2017

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Nerdrock posted:

I just switched. I'm not proud, but I did. Went from an S8+ and android wear, to an iPhone 8 and a series 3 without LTE. Regardless of how many features get added and implemented into Android, (had a pixel before the s8+) they never just, work smoothly without intense loving around, and I got tired of it. So far, feels good man.

poo poo like this, is what keeps me with Apple. Ugh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nerdrock posted:

If there's one thing the last dozen pages of this thread have shown is that iOS stuff just works.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I went to an Apple Store and looked at the 8 and the 8+. Apple prices the 8 to be a no-brainer if you're open to a 7 as well ($50 more for the 64gb 8 over the 128gb 7), but I'm wondering what peoples experiences has been with used iPhones. Worth the risk? Is there a better place to buy other than craigslist/eBay? Ideally, I'd get a used 128gb 7 and see what the X looks like in a year.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nerdrock posted:

No one should be buying iphones much less switching from android jesus christ

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

If there's one thing the last dozen pages of this thread have shown is that iOS stuff just works.

I mean, I know it doesn't always, but my success ratio so far has been better. That, and with the wife always having iOS devices, her amount of frustration for similar tasks has been far less than mine.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've heard of battery life getting worse for new iOS's, but my phone seems to lose charge while it's plugged in now. I unplugged it and replugged it and it went from 38% to 32%. It'll be dead forever soon.

I know it's probably just the OS forgetting what to do with a 5S's battery and it'll be fine with the next bug fix, but I still wanted to complain. Also I may be without a phone for a few days; thanks Apple.

Breaking News: Official iPad charger: bad. Monoprice iphone charger: good

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 10, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nerdrock posted:

I mean, I know it doesn't always, but my success ratio so far has been better. That, and with the wife always having iOS devices, her amount of frustration for similar tasks has been far less than mine.

Yeah, iOS could improve in a lot of areas, but it's light years better than the dumpster fire that is Android. Work kept trying to give me whatever Galaxy of The Month it was every so often. I'd try to use it for a month or two and then it would end up in a drawer after I forwarded the number. Now I just get work to reimburse my T-Mobile bill and use Outlook for my work emails and calendar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, no one should use Samsung Android devices.

I'm not actually trying to argue a stupid Android vs iOS thing here, I'm just saying that almost every time I see someone complaining about Android they go on to mention how they used some trash device. Basically, the title of the Android thread tells you what Android device to buy if you're going to buy an Android device.

Android isn't as good as iOS in a lot of ways, but it's leaps and bounds beyond where it was a couple years ago and does offer a lot that iOS doesn't.

A legitimate complaint about Android is the very fact that you can even buy trash devices, and, in fact, trash devices are the norm.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Oh yeah. The pixel was the smoothest android experience by a large margin, then I found myself seething with feature jealousy towards Samsung. Crawling back to iOS (my last iPhone was a 4s) is just my white flag. Plus, Android wear is a disaster (for me. It's OK for some people)

Edit : also : yeah, platform hate is tiresome. My response is always "use what you prefer. they're pretty much the same. nobody cares if you think one is better than the other".

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 10, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Battery life on my SE has gotten pretty good. At the end of a 12 hour day where I'm checking email and using Bluetooth headphones I still have 50%. That'd be 20 to 30% while still on the iOS 11 beta.

Android or iOS hate is weird. Odds are you love what you started with. I can't stand Android, but not so much because it's worse - but because it's different. Like I really hate the app icons or the fact you don't get that satisfying little bounce when you scroll to the bottom of a document. None of these things actually impact usage.

I think the point about mid-tier being poo poo is good. There are lots of brand new lovely Android devices, but no lovely iPhones. Buy a $300 Android and you've got a dumpster fire. But $300 to Apple gets you arguably the best iPhone ever made. That difference narrows to just personal preference when you're picking out flagship devices.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Schiavona posted:

I went to an Apple Store and looked at the 8 and the 8+. Apple prices the 8 to be a no-brainer if you're open to a 7 as well ($50 more for the 64gb 8 over the 128gb 7), but I'm wondering what peoples experiences has been with used iPhones. Worth the risk? Is there a better place to buy other than craigslist/eBay? Ideally, I'd get a used 128gb 7 and see what the X looks like in a year.

Apple's own refurbs occasionally save you some money, but you can trust that you're basically getting a brand new phone for a used price as Apple's quality control for refurbs of anything they sell (laptops especially) is excellent. Anybody else, you are very likely throwing dice.

From Apple's refurb page:

quote:

Apple Certified Refurbished

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
All refurbished iPhone models also include a brand new battery, new outer shell and a new white box.

They sell you the item in a plain white box, probably to steer clear of consumer laws about original packaging..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Schiavona posted:

Apple refurbs are literally just as good as new. Enjoy a clear discount so long as the model you want it available.

Used/Refurbs from major retailers like Best Buy are still sketchy but getting better.

Avoid used phones from all other vendors.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Since when does Apple sell refurb iPhones? They're not even an option in the refurb store for me
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You can't get refurb iPhones in Canada, of course.

Pixel 2 would be a strong contender if they hadn't dropped the headphone jack.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

prom candy posted:

You can't get refurb iPhones in Canada, of course.

"Of course" ?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just updated to iOS 11 and the redesign for the podcast app is awful, just terrible to use now. Does anyone have alternatives they recommend? I drive 30k-35k miles a year for work so I listen to a bunch of podcasts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

B-Mac posted:

Just updated to iOS 11 and the redesign for the podcast app is awful, just terrible to use now. Does anyone have alternatives they recommend? I drive 30k-35k miles a year for work so I listen to a bunch of podcasts.

Overcast all day every day. Welcome to a good podcast app.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

B-Mac posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Overcast all day every day. Welcome to a good podcast app.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668654 is the iOS apps thread, where this was just discussed on the last page, but the two that always get compared to one-another are Overcast and Downcast. Both are very good, but with some minor differences--the biggest being that Overcast is iOS only with a web player that lacks most of the playback-enhancing features.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Since when does Apple sell refurb iPhones? They're not even an option in the refurb store for me

They sell the the 6S and 6S Plus as refurb in the US store. No 7 or 7plus however.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

Only in the US, I think. They only have 6S and 6S+ available right now.

E: Beaten

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just updated to iOS 11.1 public beta 2: 3D Touch multi tasking is back and works as expected.

Joy. Federighi is not a liar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Something hosed up is going on with my cellular data since iOS11. I didn't realize it until my billing period restarted (after getting throttled down on T-mobile for destroying my 6GB and data stash on some runaway usage) as I reset all the data in the settings app. I think I caught the biggest culprit of Google Photos suddenly deciding to upload 1,000 Live Photos (new feature? this why not uploaded before?) but I'm getting several hundred megs a day in rogue usage I can't quite pin down. In two days my 'Time and Location' system service has used 260mb. I went through and shut down nearly every location service off of Always. What's weird is that I've mostly been on WiFI this whole time. In my T-mobile app I show that at 3:30am this morning I used 85megs, while my phone was next to my bed charging on WiFi. Why would my phone circumvent wifi to use that much data?

Any ideas on how to narrow this down? WiFi assist is off. Background usage is off for most apps that make sense and those aren't showing up in data usage.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

B-Mac posted:

Overcast is very good, as is Pocket Casts.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I now finally have a phone that can do 3D Touch multitasking and I don't see what the fuss was about. It's substantially longer than double tapping the home button, unless you're all just talking about going to the most recent app and not the full app switcher.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Thanks for the podcast app recommendations everyone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"Just updated to iOS 11 and the redesign for the podcast app is awful, just terrible to use now." is not something that should ever be said because the Podcast app has been awful since it first came out.

Like, I have no idea what the podcast app even looks like now. Does it still have the reel to reel UI theme? Do I even care? No. Spotify probably has a better podcast interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It was serviceable in the past, now it's just unusable. iOS 11 is the best thing to happen to Marco Arment's bank account since he decided to give back all that Crystal money.