Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So, with the disclaimer that I'm sure pre-season stats are much more awful than regular season, I saw that the Suns committed an astounding 32 turnovers tonight in a non-OT game. Three of their starters had 4 turnovers, and Josh Jackson had 7. This got me thinking: What's the most turnovers ever recorded by one team in a game without over time?

Answer: The 1989 Spurs played a game against GSW where they lost by a tad under 40, and also committed 40 turnovers.

The part that was slightly more interesting to me was that as I was looking at the BBR records for 30+ turnover games, almost all of them are from the 80's. That era played some garbage rear end sloppy basketball. There's 105 games that match that criteria, and 85 of them are from the 80's. If you restrict it to games from 2000 onwards, it's only happened 8 times, the last of which was in 2004. It's been a while. Also, in the 2000's, there hasn't been a single game with more than 31 TO's, whereas there were 38 such games in the 80's and 90's.

tldr: 80's basketball was fast and sloppy as gently caress, and the tonight the Suns played at a sloppiness level that really hasn't been seen since the 80's and 90's.

Obviously there's probably some other pre-season teams that have cleared that mark and making fun of teams for bad pre-season numbers is cherry picking, but I thought those numbers were kinda funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

attackmole posted:

So, with the disclaimer that I'm sure pre-season stats are much more awful than regular season, I saw that the Suns committed an astounding 32 turnovers tonight in a non-OT game. Three of their starters had 4 turnovers, and Josh Jackson had 7. This got me thinking: What's the most turnovers ever recorded by one team in a game without over time?

Answer: The 1989 Spurs played a game against GSW where they lost by a tad under 40, and also committed 40 turnovers.

The part that was slightly more interesting to me was that as I was looking at the BBR records for 30+ turnover games, almost all of them are from the 80's. That era played some garbage rear end sloppy basketball. There's 105 games that match that criteria, and 85 of them are from the 80's. If you restrict it to games from 2000 onwards, it's only happened 8 times, the last of which was in 2004. It's been a while. Also, in the 2000's, there hasn't been a single game with more than 31 TO's, whereas there were 38 such games in the 80's and 90's.

tldr: 80's basketball was fast and sloppy as gently caress, and the tonight the Suns played at a sloppiness level that really hasn't been seen since the 80's and 90's.

Obviously there's probably some other pre-season teams that have cleared that mark and making fun of teams for bad pre-season numbers is cherry picking, but I thought those numbers were kinda funny.

The other funny thing about 80s games is looking at the box score of a near 300 point game and there's two 3 pointers made.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

What do you mean by unguaranteed? Every team in the league carries three or four or five players with team options. Also at this time most teams are carrying 4 or five players whose contacts don't become fully guaranteed for the next week or two. Or are you only talking about contacts with performance bonuses? Because in that case, I think most of them are secret, bit there aren't many of them, probably one per team on average. (Totally guessing at that number.)

I always wonder how people get contract amounts for teams that don't publicly release the info. Like I know Woj has been just straight up wrong about contracts in the past but other sites usually had the correct information by the time the season starts.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
That Embiid contract feels like classic Colangelo, though it has a chance of working out. This is a guy who resigned Demar DeRozan to big money prior to becoming an above replacement level player as well as gave Bargnani a five year deal.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

euphronius posted:

Fair deal for both sides
I'm happy they got it done

lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

Yes, but no championship team had two of the best fifteen scorers in league history and the most versatile player ever in accumulating the big five stats. If a team has Julius Erving, Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley you don't give much credit to Paul Pressey.

A full list of teams that won with two of the best 15 scorers in league history
00,01,02 Lakers (Shaq/Kobe)
82/83 76ers (Moses Malone/Dr. J)
70-71 Bucks (Kareem/Oscar Robertson)

(including points from the ABA for that 76ers team.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 10, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Warriors '17 (Curry/KD)

Add in draymond for your "PF who gets all five counting stats" guy too

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like that david aldridge doesn't think the only team in the west last year that made the Warriors look momentarily mortal "isn't a title contender"
he's probably got pockets full of georgian gold

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is me every time I try to play ball irl

https://streamable.com/2qcul

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Apparently Fultz's right arm is really bothering him and that's why he changed his FT form: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/10/16452324/markelle-fultz-free-throw-shoulder

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fultz will sit out the year to continue the tradition

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I like that david aldridge doesn't think the only team in the west last year that made the Warriors look momentarily mortal "isn't a title contender"
he's probably got pockets full of georgian gold

he always writes them off

every year someone predicts they're going to fall and the never do. this year's squad is legit better than last years and they won 61 games last year

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Kibner posted:

Apparently Fultz's right arm is really bothering him and that's why he changed his FT form: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/10/16452324/markelle-fultz-free-throw-shoulder

Quote from Brett Brown in the article:

quote:

The Sixers front office is typically as transparent as a politician, but head coach Brett Brown is straightforward. At the start of Sixers training camp, when Fultz first showed off some wack shooting mechanics, he said he was just messing around, but Brown openly admitted he’d like to see Fultz get “back on track” by reverting to his old shooting form. Now, Brown has acknowledged the injury, too. “I think [his shoulder] is affecting him more than he lets on. You can tell with his free throw, trying to get that ball up. It’s far out from his body. He’s been working on trying to get that thing rehabilitated,” Brown said. “And the lack of the quantity of his 3-point shooting may be a sign that it’s hurting a little more than he’s letting on.”

I'm actually weirdly kinda relieved that it is an injury and he's not just really loving stupid to be switching his form to THAT

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/917762147580555264

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I have a soft spot for Rudy but boy do Spurs fans seem to gloss over that it's Rudy Gay and he tore his Achilles

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok I love Gil again. Exposing Mia Khalifa being thirsty in his DMs is pretty funny after her poo poo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Knicks are now sponsored by "Squarespace"!

The season is off to a tremendous start!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Bleh, whatever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Boosh! posted:

Bleh, whatever.

Lol, the knicks are a lovely podcast

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

makes sense considering most people will be skipping their games

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Madison Squarespace Garden

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
As far as I can tell that leaves Hornets, Wizards, Pacers, Bulls, Rockets, Mavericks, Blazers, Grizzlies, Spurs, Suns, Pelicans, and Clippers without sponsors. I think OKC is the only team that's outright stated they won't be doing them.

Not that surprising some of the smaller markets haven't found a sponsor yet, but L.A., Chicago, Houston and Phoenix being out there is a little weird.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

By next week they'll all have Blue Apron/MeUndies crests.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

I have a soft spot for Rudy but boy do Spurs fans seem to gloss over that it's Rudy Gay and he tore his Achilles

he's been playing fine in preseason and isn't even going to start. the spurs just need him to score a couple buckets when kawhi sits. there are some really nice opportunities to use him in a small ball lineup if he pans out. otherwise, he can shoot 3s and score with the 2nd unit which is great.

he's not the only reason the spurs are better this season than last

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I forget, are you able to buy jerseys without the sponsor patches?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

RCarr posted:

I forget, are you able to buy jerseys without the sponsor patches?

You can't buy them with them

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

You can't buy them with them

So what is this?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

RCarr posted:

So what is this?

Photo was apparently taken at a promo event, so it could just be for that.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I've heard that you can buy jerseys with ads on them but they're only available at the arena team shops

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol Knicks or whatever but that really doesn't look that bad

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

RCarr posted:

So what is this?

I assumed a promo thing because I kept hearing that they'd be sold without them but I could be wrong and it's just an option

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/917782609161277440

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's weird to find out that tall athletic rich and successful dudes are just as insecure as everyone else.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I could dunk a basketball I'm sure all of my psychological issues would instantly evaporate .

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Boosh! posted:

Bleh, whatever.

I dont mind this since I cant tell what it is

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zoux posted:

It's weird to find out that tall athletic rich and successful dudes are just as insecure as everyone else.

In Rose's case, it's because the Bulls try to actually kill their players and then blame it on them for being so "soft"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

If I could dunk a basketball I'm sure all of my psychological issues would instantly evaporate .

I think this as well but what if not?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
All humans have insecurities.

Now multiply it by having tons of money and people family and friends trying to use and exploit you. Not knowing who you can actually trust. Maybe trusting the wrong people.

Ask older players about how much their financial advisers stole and scammed a poo poo ton of money from them. Scottie got fuuucked by his.

Even before the tons of money...From the ages of 13+(or whenever you show any top level skill) These dudes have to learn and come to grips that you can't trust anyone how many uncles and cousins' AAU teams they get talked into playing for to make others money, while grinding themselves year round as a drat teenager.

Jokes aside I completely understand how players can be so goddamn insecure growing up inside of the insane bubble that is pro level potential athletics.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

Bleh, whatever.

At least its not blatantly ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Doltos posted:

At least its not blatantly ugly

They made it a color that's already on the jersey instead of throwing an extra color to draw attention to it like the red block on the Nets jersey.

I'm pretty sure that the disagreement about using the sponsor logo's normal color vs making it not look like poo poo is what's holding up the inevitable Spurs HEB patch.

Could Utah have gotten Hayward to stay if they had gotten the makers of League of Legends to sponsor the jersey?

• Locked thread