Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't believe I finally pulled the trigger on a Baneblade.

It feels like a waste to paint it in the Steel Legion colors, but super heavies don't get regimental buffs unless they're in a whole detachment anyway, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

moths posted:

It feels like a waste to paint it in the Steel Legion colors, but super heavies don't get regimental buffs unless they're in a whole detachment anyway, right?

Yeah but you can make a supreme command detachment with 3 HQs and the baneblade and get your regiment buff. Like even 3 primaris psykers plus a baneblade would be a legit steel legion detachment.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

moths posted:

Maybe dress it up with some Ork scrap like it just plowed through a Trukk or something.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
As far as releases goes the Space Marine and Adeptus Mechanicus got the short end of the stick. Space Marine stratagems in particular when compared to CSM or AM in their usefulness and power are vastly inferior.

Honestly, I am still holding out hope that the changes to the AM codex had been put down months before it was going to be clear that AM were so powerful, because many of the changes are clearly wrong-headed. The last thing the ShadowSword needed was a buff, it alone invalidates Knight lists, and makes bringing Land Raiders or any other large vehicle or creature pointless.

If chapter approved doesn't make some serious changes then I am not looking forward to 2018 in the competitive scene.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh I love the Armageddon scheme, I just mean their rules are a bit lackluster.

But trukk remains are a great idea, along with all those Ork skulls from the skulls box...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

As far as releases goes the Space Marine and Adeptus Mechanicus got the short end of the stick. Space Marine stratagems in particular when compared to CSM or AM in their usefulness and power are vastly inferior.

Honestly, I am still holding out hope that the changes to the AM codex had been put down months before it was going to be clear that AM were so powerful, because many of the changes are clearly wrong-headed. The last thing the ShadowSword needed was a buff, it alone invalidates Knight lists, and makes bringing Land Raiders or any other large vehicle or creature pointless.

If chapter approved doesn't make some serious changes then I am not looking forward to 2018 in the competitive scene.

Shadowsword does seem a bit OP at 3d3 shots. d6 meant it would still probably one-shot a land raider but there was a chance of survival, and a knight would have a chance to shoot back after the first hit cripples it. Now the shadowsword is 40 points cheaper and just deletes whatever you point it at from the opposite corner of the table. Which is what it does in the fluff definitely, but that's not super friendly to tabletop. Yeah you're still paying at least 450 points for it but it'll kill the biggest target on the other side each turn guaranteed. Kill two land raiders and it made more than its points back. Compared to a hellhammer or baneblade, which has a great gun but is pretty random in how much you're actually doing and on average will cripple but not kill a leman russ or other units of a similar toughness, needing more shots elsewhere to finish it off. It just doesn't feel good to have your best stuff deleted top of turn 1 by 1 weapon from 1 opposing model even if it rolls fairly poorly, and then do it again the next turn until you manage to kill it.

poo poo like shadowswords and deathstrikes never should've left apocalypse. Like the other day when my friend's pre-buff shadowsword one shotted Mortarian, it just doesn't feel good. That took an above-average roll to pull off, now it doesn't.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 10, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If the existence of Shadowswords keeps Knights from being on every single goddamn table (sometimes two or three at a time) then they're fine by me.

I am biased, because the biggest thing I ever use is a Riptide and even then only because I don't have enough smaller suits for my liking.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I dunno. Knights don't seem that scary to me really. Their weapons aren't anything scarier than what you see on a leman russ. Just shoot them and soften them up before they can hit melee with your stuff, since melee is where they actually threaten at. Shadowswords shoot 10 feet.

And yeah, biggest thing I use is a stormraven or a leman russ.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 10, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Knights aren't particularly scary I'm just annoyed at how Superheavies in general show up in every single minor skirmish. If the threat of Shadowswords being a hard-counter keeps most Lords of War off the field I'll be a happy person.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Strobe posted:

Knights aren't particularly scary I'm just annoyed at how Superheavies in general show up in every single minor skirmish. If the threat of Shadowswords being a hard-counter keeps most Lords of War off the field I'll be a happy person.

but... you'll see more Shadowswords on the table 🤔

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyway, with a knight's invulns it looks like it'll still *probably* survive a shadowsword shot but it'll be down to just a few wounds most likely. Forgot how much of a difference the invulns made, so knights aren't in as bad a spot as I thought. It'll probably kill another baneblade in one go though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

But Steel Legion is what your army is right? Seems silly to invest the time into painting a cool tank just for maximum power under rules that will change in time.

Have more pride!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Uroboros posted:

Honestly, I am still holding out hope that the changes to the AM codex had been put down months before it was going to be clear that AM were so powerful,

I think the errors that got replicated from the Admech index to the codex supports that theory

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

chutche2 posted:

Yeah but you can make a supreme command detachment with 3 HQs and the baneblade and get your regiment buff. Like even 3 primaris psykers plus a baneblade would be a legit steel legion detachment.
Just lol if you don't do the superheavy detachment with 3-5 LoWs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Have more pride!

I know that someday the radioactive clouds will part and it'll be our day in the Armageddon sun, but it's hard not to look at the Valhallans or Catachans and feel a twinge of jealousy.

That day will probably be sometime next month when they get FAQ cratered.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh man I sure hope all these big centerpiece models that people put a lot of time into making them look good are kept in check by this one really overpowered centerpiece unit becoming the flavor of the month :)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I really hate these superheavies as a Tyranids player. Mostly because they have basically no way to kill them.

I'm almost at the point where I only want to run characters with fewer than 10 wounds, and single wound models. Anything tougher than that just gets deleted effortlessly. With most tough things I can just assault with swarms and tie up, but superheavies don't care about that.

Also doesn't help that nids have pretty much zero shooting to deal with heavies. Exocrines and Tyrannofexes are okay, but usually fail to actually kill anything.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Strobe posted:

I hate Knights...

I use a Riptide

:rolleyes:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Master Twig posted:

I really hate these superheavies as a Tyranids player. Mostly because they have basically no way to kill them.

I'm almost at the point where I only want to run characters with fewer than 10 wounds, and single wound models. Anything tougher than that just gets deleted effortlessly. With most tough things I can just assault with swarms and tie up, but superheavies don't care about that.

Also doesn't help that nids have pretty much zero shooting to deal with heavies. Exocrines and Tyrannofexes are okay, but usually fail to actually kill anything.

I definitely feel you. Stonecrusher fexes are great at killing stuff like this but at least one a turn is going to be lost without poo poo you can do about it.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I play necrons and tank regiment Guard. Between quantum shielding apparently being bullshit/annoying, and guard tanks being crazy strong, 8th is making me feel guilty without having played a single game of it so far. :smith:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Yeah, quote the single word and not the part where I said I don't even like doing that.

I'm genuinely curious in what game they're even remotely similar except in points cost. It's sure as gently caress not capability because Riptides aren't even half as good (and that's probably a stretch). Did you get it mixed up with a Stormsurge, maybe?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

:goonsay:

Dude its supposed to be 40,000 years in the future, of COURSE the terms would become bastardized over time. They're not meant to be historical, go play other tabletop if you want historical. But instead of calling it a "Space Marine Diggerydoo" where you have to learn all these made up names, instead they pull from common lexicon, so "Space Marine Battalion" even though its not a fixed battalion. Same as using nicknames for weapons and technology instead of calling everything "gun mark 18-c" Get over it.

Uroboros posted:

Those complaining about the Imperial Guard unit sizes not matching up with their real world counterparts are really wasting their energy. That poo poo is explained in the fluff pretty quickly, there is no galaxy-wide standard, and it is really just up to the planet that raises them. Sure, the GW guys don't have real world military experience, but you'd be a fool to think that the current structures in numbers are the most optimized ways to run a military unit.

Sorry to keep on about this if it's really boring to people. I feel that I've miscommunicated my point a bit here. I don't want or expect the imaginary space army to be organised to a detailed, functional standard. I was trying to explain why it's silly to compare the imaginary space uses of real words like 'regiment' to their actual counterparts.

Basically, I always find it futile when people start to examine how many men are in a 40k IG unit or construct an army to fit that idea. It's much better to just not think about it and imagine your model collection as just a snapshot of some guys fighting in a given place.

EDIT: more interesting stuff: new stratagems! I find the preliminary bombardment one very anaemic as people have already pointed out. Even more disappointed in 3cp to call 'broken arrow!' On a destroyed vox caster Squad for, again, a chance of a very few mortal wounds. Such a cool idea, but pants in game.

Better Ines are take cover, very useful (seems odd it's not limited to infantry, as with several things in the codex, and I played against death guard twice, the vengeance for Cadia stratagem is pretty sweet too!

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 10, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Strobe posted:

Yeah, quote the single word and not the part where I said I don't even like doing that.

I'm genuinely curious in what game they're even remotely similar except in points cost. It's sure as gently caress not capability because Riptides aren't even half as good (and that's probably a stretch). Did you get it mixed up with a Stormsurge, maybe?

Being sassy and thinking of Riptide Wing from last edition.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

Hey, Yarrick can order himself and other commissars with Voice of Command. He can give himself the fix bayonets order. Fix Bayonets put onto a company commander the turn after they heroic intervention into a fight has been amazing for me this edition.

Thanks for reminding me that doesn't work though because I was going to take that warlord trait on my lord commissar.

No he can't, as written. Officio Prefectus is not a Regiment. He can only order people with a matching regiment, and since he has none, he can order no one.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Genghis Cohen posted:

Sorry to keep on about this if it's really boring to people. I feel that I've miscommunicated my point a bit here. I don't want or expect the imaginary space army to be organised to a detailed, functional standard. I was trying to explain why it's silly to compare the imaginary space uses of real words like 'regiment' to their actual counterparts.

Basically, I always find it futile when people start to examine how many men are in a 40k IG unit or construct an army to fit that idea. It's much better to just not think about it and imagine your model collection as just a snapshot of some guys fighting in a given place.

It was more confusion that in the fluff regiments are treated like thousands of soldiers (like the 8k strong Cadian 8th) and the example they give is 300 dudes.

After reading more a regiment just means "An organization larger than a company" basically since a cadian regiment is between 2 and 30 companies.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Fortress of Arrogance. That is all.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Whatever happened to the Stormsword? The Plasma version of the Shadowsword. It's not an option in the plastic kit that builds every other version, and the FW version is gone too.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Strobe posted:

If the existence of Shadowswords keeps Knights from being on every single goddamn table (sometimes two or three at a time) then they're fine by me.

I am biased, because the biggest thing I ever use is a Riptide and even then only because I don't have enough smaller suits for my liking.

The Riptide is way too expensive for what it is. For 21 more points than a Riptide, you can park a Shadowsword in the back corner of a 6x4 and melt anything you want every turn with impunity. Even though you mentioned you aren't really worried about knights, I'd be more worried about guard tanks now.

I'm really interested in seeing what they have in store for the Tau considering the codex releases thus far.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

kinda the thing is I like when an army is strong but right now I'm just boggling over how to deal with 6+ Leman Russes with Basilisk support and incredibly cheap infantry screeners.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
We're in Leaf Blower 2.0 territory right?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Powerful guns with long range is a stupid design decision unless it is tempered with few shots or a ridiculous price.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
After several years of dealing with criminally overpowered Riptides and Wraith Knights, it's going to take me a little while to have any sympathy for Tau and Eldar players. Not really fair, but that's where my head's at.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

We're in Leaf Blower 2.0 territory right?

gently caress I didn't want to say it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Giant Isopod posted:

I think the errors that got replicated from the Admech index to the codex supports that theory

Yeah this came up on Dakka recently and I'm just going to c+p my post from there:

Corrode 741425 9637802 f3699d9cd9bb5e19f105de0609961777.jpg posted:

They've said multiple times that the Studio is working on stuff 2-3 years ahead, so their project planning is about that long in terms of the whole package - what models are being made, roughly when stuff is due to be released, etc.

Of course with that kind of timescale hitting an exact month is unlikely - more probably they have multiple projects at once all aiming for Q2 2020, which then settle into a spread from Q4 2019 to Q4 2020 as they get closer to the time and work out the finer details of exactly which releases slot in where.

In terms of the immediate run-up before a book is released, I'd expect a timescale more along the lines of:

T-90 days: Book is substantially complete, galley proofs are sent to the printer to give them an idea of set-up, layout etc.
T-60 days: Final revisions made, last-minute changes committed, etc. Test copies reviewed before first print run.
T-50 days: Printing begins, stock builds up in China, local logistics organised.
T-45 days: Ship loads and leaves port.
T-8 days: Books arrive in port, go out through local logistics.
T-3 days: Books arrive in store (typically our local gets theirs in on the Wednesday before a Saturday release).

So a 90 day timescale fits, probably up or down by 10 days depending on circumstances. Any more than that and they'd be sat on stock they couldn't sell, any less than that and you run the risk of disaster.

You can see this in the index + early codex releases. Errors picked up from the indexes were not corrected in any codex up to the Death Guard book, but Militarum has the "1 command squad per officer" change which was made in the FAQ and the Baneblade error corrected (the Baneblade didn't ignore moving for Heavy weapons but all other SHVs did). The Conscripts and Scions issues were obvious practically immediately so they had time to do something about them before the book went to print.

So imo Guard are the first book based on live experience of 8th ed, but only the first month or two. I suspect the buffing of SHVs and their points drops are very simply explained - no one was taking them because Scion and Conscript spam was so good. GW aren't smart enough to realise that, so as well as nerfing Scions and scripts they also buffed other stuff - Russes needed it, but the various Baneblade chassis things really didn't.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I was gonna say, Steel Legion lay claim to The Mother Of All Baneblades.

Yarrick loving rules.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I was gonna say, Steel Legion lay claim to The Mother Of All Baneblades.

Yarrick loving rules.

Fortress of Arrogance is probably the best name for a fuckoff'uge tank, too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The Riptide is way too expensive for what it is. For 21 more points than a Riptide, you can park a Shadowsword in the back corner of a 6x4 and melt anything you want every turn with impunity. Even though you mentioned you aren't really worried about knights, I'd be more worried about guard tanks now.

I'm really interested in seeing what they have in store for the Tau considering the codex releases thus far.

Short list:

Broadsides cheaper by a couple points
Heavy Rail Rifles cheaper by like 15-18 points easy
Crisis Suits cheaper by a couple points
Burst Cannons cheaper by 2 points
Gun/Shield/Markerlight Drones more expensive by 2 points each
Ion Rifle/Cyclic Ion Accelerator get an additional -1 AP (points stay similar)
Riptides get 30+ points cheaper
Commanders get 10-15 points more expensive

That's what I'd start off with, based on my experience playing them so far. Tau's internal balance is pretty hosed. Honestly that's just the stuff I've played with so far; I couldn't tell you much about what's wrong with Hammerheads, or flyers (which I have never actually seen used), etc.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've got the models to run a supreme command detachment of 3-5 phoenix lords

can't wait for the new craftworlds codex

general question: has anyone here fielded Shining Spears under the Index rules? They look good, are they good?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
While I am upset about the AM changes, it is still worth mentioning that most of the top spots are going to mixed Chaos armies, and I don't know if any of these AM changes will change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uroboros posted:

While I am upset about the AM changes, it is still worth mentioning that most of the top spots are going to mixed Chaos armies, and I don't know if any of these AM changes will change that.

They definitely will. Assuming Renegades don't get either an updated and good Doctrine but do get the good Russ rules (but not orders), the malefic lord spam will go away and the Imperial Soup armies will morph into an AM Brigade with a Imperium Supreme Command of Gulliman, Celestine, and a couple of Primaris Psykers.