Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Did any of the Fallout 4 DLC turn it into a game worth playing or should I just play New Vegas again

No, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Games being cheaper to make isn't going to even stop game companies trying to bleed you dry, so you might as well enjoy pretty graphics and good voice acting rather than hoping sending games back to the N64 era will fix the industry

yeah if game companies managed to raise prices to 75 or whatever without a bunch of riots they wouldn't stop doing lootboxes, they would just stick it to you both ways. In that sense im pro purely cosmetic lootboxes because its a way for whales to subsidize the cost of gaming. It seems like devs are moving away from purely cosmetics to gameplay stuff tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope more studios will have the initiative to follow the Ninja Theory route and just release a singular game at a fair price point without any super deluxe mega-hype editions to nickel and dime players at every possible stage of transaction. If Hellblade were ever released by a major publisher you'd have to pay $20 extra for extra zany insanity effects and viking plushie.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm in dilemma. I'm very excited to play The Evil Within 2, which comes out on Friday. I have a friend who watched me play through the first game and enjoys horror like I do. My problem: we can only get together on Mondays, and she has moved about 30 minutes away since we played TEW. My problem; do I play through The Evil Within 2 by myself so I can binge the experience and not tell her about the game, or do I invite her over so we can go through it together but far more slowly. Additional information: my baby has chosen the hours of 6pm through 12am to be inconsolable unless he is mainlining mother's milk, making the immersion into a game pretty challenging.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed Escape from New York. I earnestly love how slow and uncoordinated American action heroes were in this era, like there will be a ten second shot of them clumsily scaling a brick wall and then almost falling over.

And yeah, John Carpenter music is always rad

This is really apparent in the original Dawn of the Dead where everyone is constantly sweaty and out of breath as they're jostling extras and clambering over obstacles. There were a couple scenes that made me gasp as a zombie would fall off a mac truck and roll away just as the wheels were passing by.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm in dilemma. I'm very excited to play The Evil Within 2, which comes out on Friday. I have a friend who watched me play through the first game and enjoys horror like I do. My problem: we can only get together on Mondays, and she has moved about 30 minutes away since we played TEW. My problem; do I play through The Evil Within 2 by myself so I can binge the experience and not tell her about the game, or do I invite her over so we can go through it together but far more slowly. Additional information: my baby has chosen the hours of 6pm through 12am to be inconsolable unless he is mainlining mother's milk, making the immersion into a game pretty challenging.

I enjoyed TEW far more when I took it chapter by chapter and it's basically a horror game anthology so it worked out. No need to rush through it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

Stream + party chat?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

it's really too bad about FO4

I wanted it to be good so bad but probably only because FO:NV was so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah see if you can stream it somehow.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'll look into streaming it. Chapter by chapter was fine but this game seems like it has more hub areas and it sucks to play something for just a few hours a week when I really want the spook. But it's also how we played through Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame 2, TEW, RE4 and RE7, so there's certainly a precedent. Now that I have my PS4 wired to my internet maybe the system streaming won't be as shoddy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

Another great aspect about The Thing (1982) is that there's not a single unnecessary scene. Less than two hours long, same as the original Blade Runner. Somehow in the last 35 years Hollywood has completely forgotten how to make a well-paced movie that does not waste the audience's time. Anybody who makes a dumb comic book movie lasting over 120 minutes should be fired.

I was thinking the exact same thing, having seen Robocop and Terminator for the first time recently at the neighbourhood theatre. There's not a single wasted scene in those two movies, and everything in those scenes help convey the story and the characters forward.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games could learn a thing or two about editing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Video games could learn a thing or two about editing

Dang it! I try my best!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who's excited for the big Splatoon balance patch tonight

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

babypolis posted:

yeah if game companies managed to raise prices to 75 or whatever without a bunch of riots they wouldn't stop doing lootboxes, they would just stick it to you both ways. In that sense im pro purely cosmetic lootboxes because its a way for whales to subsidize the cost of gaming. It seems like devs are moving away from purely cosmetics to gameplay stuff tho

If you really thought it'd just stay cosmetic you're insane

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The Thing is really good and much like the ending to Blade Runner, it always annoys me when people try to figure out which of MacReady and Childs is human and/or the Thing. It's like man, the ambiguity is what makes that conversation interesting (it's better thematically if they're both human though).

On a general level I disagree with you, but after noticing it I also think the character's breathe is supposed to be a pretty big give away, just because of how noticeable it is on one character. Like my prefered interpretation is the more ambiguous ending but at this point I think Carpenter couldn't help putting a hint in there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Thing is one of my favorite movies ever and it's a huge tragedy that it was a critical and financial failure at release. It crushed Carpenter so much and it sucks that a masterpiece like that went unheeded for many years.

I love this big rant Guillermo del Toro went on about how great Carpenter is https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/guillermo-del-toro-rants-and-raves-about-john-carpenter-on-twitter/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Evil Within is great when you play it stealthy because then you'll always have an rear end load of ammo for the random bosses/huge mobs of dudes. Also always kill the optional boss she doesn't take that much damage and drops 8k gel which can be a life saved if you get unlucky with the lockers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The puzzles in siren are some old school adventure game nonsense sometimes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been staring at this string tied to a ventilator for 20 minutes trying to figure out what my end goal is here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Siren 2 is a lot better in that regard, it's really great (though less scary and somewhat less well written)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

The best part is the hints for the second solution to each stage were printed in the manual and there's virtually no way of figuring out what the game wants without them.

And yeah Siren 2 is a lot better about telling you what you should be doing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow, what a coincidence, speaking of John Carpenter...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

John Carpenter is living the dream.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I had to pick one game to play for the rest of my life it probably wouldn't be Destiny 2

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

If you really thought it'd just stay cosmetic you're insane

hey maybe gamers will rally agaisnt it and push back and devs will go back to purely cosmetics

hahaha of course that wont happen ur right

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dear Current Games Mods,

Please change the title of the thread "Escape From Tarkov" to "Escape From Karnov". Thank you

Love,
Cowcaster

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The suits will never be stopped forever. Bethesda pulled their dumbshit paid mod system from steam the first time they tried it years ago after they got shouted out of the room, and here they are trying the same thing again except they somehow managed to make it even dumber.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Rename it "Escape from Karnak"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DLC Inc posted:

The Thing is one of my favorite movies ever and it's a huge tragedy that it was a critical and financial failure at release. It crushed Carpenter so much and it sucks that a masterpiece like that went unheeded for many years.

I love this big rant Guillermo del Toro went on about how great Carpenter is https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/guillermo-del-toro-rants-and-raves-about-john-carpenter-on-twitter/
I enjoyed how the Norwegians(?) spoiled parts of the movie if you knew the language. I still felt bad for those dogs who had to endure all those liquids being sprayed on them and seeing them react with discomfort. It was unintentionally funny.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Digirat posted:

The suits will never be stopped forever. Bethesda pulled their dumbshit paid mod system from steam the first time they tried it years ago after they got shouted out of the room, and here they are trying the same thing again except they somehow managed to make it even dumber.

I thought "in app currency" would stay with phone games but here we are.

Olive! posted:

Rename it "Escape from Karnak"

*bass drop*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX3ArbnXrmM&t=13s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The best part is the hints for the second solution to each stage were printed in the manual and there's virtually no way of figuring out what the game wants without them.

And yeah Siren 2 is a lot better about telling you what you should be doing.

Well when you beat a level and you go back to play it again it will show you the Mission 2 Objective but it's much vaguer and doesn't use the in game tips system. I've completed 2 loops and still have no clue what's going on or what the narrative is building towards but the game is fun in short chunks without getting frustrating. My understanding is that getting the true ending is really hard though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Digirat posted:

Everybody is willing to fall on their sword against predatory game industry practices in the abstract but everybody also has their favorite franchises that they'll throw mega-hype deluxe preorder dollars at for no good reason, and the cross-section of consumers is vast enough that nobody can possibly stop them all from needlessly spending money. If you're lukewarm on Shadow of War or TES then ofc it's easy to say no, but publishers (correctly) bet on franchise loyalty and lack of restraint in nerd culture to push whatever unsavory policies they want and with enough time and patience, they'll get you, too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They will never get me. If there's ever a mario game that has Loot boxes in it im retiring from gaming

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pay .99 USD to buy One (1) Mario Party Mini-Game Skip Item

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

They will never get me. If there's ever a mario game that has Loot boxes in it im retiring from gaming

What if they look like ? blocks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

What if they look like ? blocks

Well Mario Run does this but its a mobile game and theres no money involved. its just 5 bucks for a game that has bonuses in it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are lots of ways to buy a game while ensuring the publisher gets none of your money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THat's another issue I've been thinking about recently, and its with old systems, because I like to play on old hardware but there is 0 reason to pay for those games because theyre A) wildly inflated in value and B) only supporting the structures that wildly inflate those prices. If I could easily mod my PS2 i would (i think ill have to anyway because eventually the drive is gonna fail ugh) but for other systems I have no qualms using flashcarts, etc. I wish more companies would put emulated games up for sale at a pittance, Nintendo had a good library on 3DS/Wii U, Sony's PS2 initiative is DOA, and Microsoft is kinda killing it but I don't have an Xbox and also don't care about their library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-iD2qYVkk

gently caress yes. Two spooky games down so far.

Digirat posted:

What was Bethesda trying to do? All I remember is Steam giving the option and everyone flipping out but eh people should charge money for something they think is worth money and a lot of mods are beyond professional quality.

• Locked thread