Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
All main factions absolutely do have separate settlement lines for Norsca provinces. To be honest I've never colonized there so I wasn't sure which direction those settlements were implying to go, so I never modded them. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The tier 4 mod Mazza originally introduced for Dwarves is so good it gave me an idea.

For Dwarves their gimmick is that their minor settlements can build in tier 4 if it is in a mountain climate. They can also build another tier of their garrison building which gives a few additional elite units (like a slayer, gyrocopter, and hammerer unit on top of everything else). All this is expensive and time consuming to build but once established dwarves become extremely difficult to dislodge from mountain areas. In other favorable climates their minor settlements cap out at tier 3.

Trade buildings present can also upgrade up to tier 4 in these settlements and for Dwarves do much more:

Iron Mines: -0/1/2/3% upkeep on melee units faction wide
Stonecutters: -1/2/3/4% discount on constriction costs
Obsidian: +0/1/2/3% armor piercing for melee units
Salt: -2/4/6/8% attrition suffered in badland/desert regions

Then Masters of Steel and Stone could add another 1 bonus/discount, and the currently useless research for mining income can also improve the bonus by 1 for each tier of research as well. So all combined your units can eventually get a decent upkeep discount letting you afford to field lots of elite units.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Hearing Organ Guns described as being like the gattling guns of yore has me pretty pumped for the combined map. I'm hoping Dwarfs are at least Skaven tier for their artillery if not better.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
AFAIK there is no connection between the buildings of a region and climates, Norsca has separate trees for the port settlement superchains and the big names capitals are literally unique in the files in that they have their own entries for 1-5 everywhere.

Based on trying to merge unrelated things together before, working climates into building choices is going to be unlikely on the modded side of things, but I do plan to play around with it since I dislike building settlements in unsuitable areas, especially when they end up behind my lines like the copper desert.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 10, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
statwise, on honga they are looking ok

but the aoe explosion isn't listed there so who knows

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Norsca I think it would be really simple for them to let Norscans get normal full tier settlements/capitals if the territory was a port in suitable climate. Otherwise, have them get those crappy tier 2 staging areas they currently do. Let them always capture faction capitals with zero penalty, and have the rest of the settlements affect them climate wise like everybody else.

Port cities with unique buildings might not be accessible to Norsca if the climate is right, but on the flip side the tier 2 settlements in bad climates don't suffer the massive penalties other races would have. So its a tradeoff.
I like the idea of Norscan ports mitigating or negating climate penalties for Norsca, or possibly other races as necessary.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Hearing Organ Guns described as being like the gattling guns of yore has me pretty pumped for the combined map. I'm hoping Dwarfs are at least Skaven tier for their artillery if not better.
The Empire's Hellblaster Volley Guns are what happens when humans take Dwarf organ gun technology too far.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pendent posted:

Their much better then Skaven. I'd rank the Empire above Skaven as well

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Given how strong Skaven artillery is that is genuinely terrifying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do skaven fare against / cope with Empire and Dwarves then?

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Will have to see how they compare when the combined map comes out obviously, but I'd put money on the Skaven just due to the absurd range engineers give the cannons. Hellcannons seem to trade badly from what I've seen so far (although it's hard to tell, because the AI is really hopeless at using them).

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
If at first you don't succeed, apply more skavenslaves.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Panfilo posted:

Ammo will be the big limiting factor for factions vs Skaven. Sure the Sunmaker will be devastating but it will run out of ammo pretty fast.

They probably need to do a balance pass on empire research because even in the first game several skills and research were lousy (like bonus armor and charge on pistoliers). Only getting 10% more income on Port cities for example is way worse than the Wood Elves getting like 200% in comparison.

The thing is, in TWW1 when welves capture a port city, docks are literally the only thing they can build there. Empire can still build a dock into a big money generator with a tailor *and* also have walls to protect from incidental beastmen stacks, or build a barracks or Reiksguard building and also recruit locally from there. Welf ports make bonkers money because it's harder to defend and most of your other non-Athel-Loren territories only generate 50 income with a little bit more if you took the +2% income building or if you have a trade resource there.

To be fair though: Welves have bonkers +sack money modifiers and you can sack then seed and be up and running pretty quickly afterwards because they can get ridiculous replenishment rates if you invest a bit in the blue line.

My one hope for the Mortal Empires campaign is that they make the Legendary Lord item quests a bit less ridiculous. Volkmar starts have enough problems without having to march him over to Kislev at level 8 to punch Russians or waiting for Chaos to burn them all to the ground or dwarves and greenskins having to run agents all over creation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have to disagree: Warp Lightning Cannons having explosion damage (and stilts) is a game-changer and turns the generic cannon unit from a large/heavy unit sniper/suppressor into a Skaven army knife that can destroy both elite units and swarms of chaff with equal efficiency. If anything, I'd place the Dwarfs at third place because Organ Guns are probably the best and most distinctive piece they have compared to Empire and Skaven pieces, and I feel that Organ Guns fit in this weird place where they're better than Cannons only if the Cannons don't have veterancy and Master Engineer bonuses applying to them.

From the Empire pieces, I think only the Mortar and Helstorm Rocket Battery can compare, and in their case they go to poo poo fairly quickly against heavily-armored enemies. Of course, this is no problem for Warp Lightning Cannons. Add in the lack of Engineer skill boosts, and while Empire artillery pieces complement the rest of the army well, they can't quite reach the level of Warp Lightning Cannons essentially functioning as the core strength of the Skaven army.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Panfilo posted:

They probably need to do a balance pass on empire research because even in the first game several skills and research were lousy (like bonus armor and charge on pistoliers). Only getting 10% more income on Port cities for example is way worse than the Wood Elves getting like 200% in comparison.

The reason the wood elves gets 200% is because their ports are always stuck as lovely level 1 ports worth almost nothing unlike the empire that can build them up.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a soft eta for the mortal empires thing or are they just teasing the tip right now?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Don't think they've said anything beyond several weeks, I'd bet sometime nearer the end of October/very early November myself.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I'd thought that was the difference between "assassinate" and "wound" but I guess not, so what actually is the difference between the two? the effect of critical success?

"Assassinate" will wound an enemy hero unless it is a critical success, in which case they are killed.

You can't directly damage a Lord commanding an army, which is too bad. I think a way for agents to apply leadership penalties to an entire enemy army, as nearly every other TW game has allowed you to do, is sorely lacking. Having an assassin hero try to take out an enemy Lord during an actual battle, as anyone who has tried it will tell you, isn't really a viable plan.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

The Bramble posted:

"Assassinate" will wound an enemy hero unless it is a critical success, in which case they are killed.

You can't directly damage a Lord commanding an army, which is too bad. I think a way for agents to apply leadership penalties to an entire enemy army, as nearly every other TW game has allowed you to do, is sorely lacking. Having an assassin hero try to take out an enemy Lord during an actual battle, as anyone who has tried it will tell you, isn't really a viable plan.

The fully upgraded assault army command does a ridiculous amount of damage though. Assault garrison is even better. Assassins are way more valuable outside of combat already.

Morathi's agent action cost reduction is crazy good due to how it stacks with the agent cost reduction and success rate talent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thebardyspoon posted:

Don't think they've said anything beyond several weeks, I'd bet sometime nearer the end of October/very early November myself.

I wonder what this scheduling means for the presumed Tomb Kings DLC, and if it will be incorporated in both campaigns.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder what this scheduling means for the presumed Tomb Kings DLC, and if it will be incorporated in both campaigns.

This is all me guessing, I have no actual idea but I would bet on Tomb Kings being a little further out if they're the first faction, maybe just before Christmas or early January? Beastmen were the first new faction in Warhammer 1 and they were 2 months after release I think. With this one they have some amount of free stuff already laid out with the mortal empires stuff being worked on right now so Tomb Kings might be a bit longer.

I would assume they'd work in Mortal Empires and the Vortex map if that's what you mean, they'd have to be fully incorporated into the Vortex map for people who solely buy 2 and they'd want them to work in Mortal Empires since a huge selling point for the set of games + DLC content as a whole is that each piece of content you buy is added value for this eventual gargantuan map. Only reason new Norsca won't be in Mortal Empires straight away is that the 1 DLC team worked on that faction pack while the main team was working on 2.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

toasterwarrior posted:

I admit I was legitimately surprised when I found out that the High Elves have mediocre cavalry at best, considering their style seems to be "very good at everything while having small numbers". Hell, my Cold/Horned Ones tend to wreck a lot of Elven cavalry just because they have armour-piercing and the Elves don't.

The current multiplayer meta for the high elves is bringing 3-4 units of Dragon Princes and it performs extremely well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I concede the notion that HE cavalry is mediocre. Is there anything really particularly good about them though, or is it mainly because they're the only faction with the "classical" heavy cavalry unit in the form of Dragon Princes?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIWss-_5HGM

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Bramble posted:

Khainite Assassins have incredible combat ability and are more than capable of dunking on the vast majority of foot or horse lords with little effort on Very Hard battle stats due to having something like 75 melee attack out of the box and the ability to get poisoned attacks. Their little hand crossbow does a billion damage and is move and fire and continuously re-applies poison if the enemy tries to disengage, too. In 50 turns of a Morathi campaign I played back when I'm pretty sure her starting assassin killed every single enemy lord I ever fought.

They probably won't do well against monster mount lords but by that point you should have other options.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sSWwqd9erU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hahah, I may have unlocked the secret to Queek's start:

If you steamroll straight towards Tor Supindar and save your food for it, you can capture it at Turn IV and bump it all the way up to Level IV at the same time.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I made my first (small) mod. It simply removes the -100 diplomacy penalty to all factions after Vortex Victory, which I think was CA's attempt at making post-vortex domination victory more challenging. But it didn't really make sense to me.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165032859

Also if anyone figures out how to disable permanent war with the other factions post-victory, please let me know.

I'd also like to remove the Domination victory objectives that involve destroying the opposing major factions that share an alignment with you. In TWH1, you only had to destroy the opposing alignment factions usually.

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 11, 2017

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

They are going to want at least one big paid DLC out before the end of the year, so Tomb Kings in Nov/Early Dec is almost guaranteed.

If we use game one as a comparison, CA released the Blood DLC one month after release, and Beastmen another month later. (So two months from release.)

I expect we'll see basically the same pattern with Mortal Empires and Tomb Kings, and then next year the DLC train will be in full force.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright, I concede the notion that HE cavalry is mediocre. Is there anything really particularly good about them though, or is it mainly because they're the only faction with the "classical" heavy cavalry unit in the form of Dragon Princes?

Dragon Princes have excellent stats including top tier speed for a heavy cav unit and gigantic charge bonus. They also have 25% Physical Resist, 70% Fire Resist, and the upgraded form of Martial Prowess, giving them +8 MA/+12MD when over 50% HP.

I expect they'll lose out to stuff like Blood Dragons when mortal empires is released but they're legit one of the best overall heavy cav units in Warhammer.

Ellyrian Reaver archers are also very popular because they're pretty much the only missile cav in the game that's a legit melee threat, and the normal reavers are cost effective light cav with vanguard.

Silver Helms OTOH are pretty eh and fully deserve to be called mediocre.

madmac fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Truecon420 posted:

I made my first (small) mod. It simply removes the -100 diplomacy penalty to all factions, which I think was CA's attempt at making post vortex domination victory more challenging. But it didn't really make sense to me so;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165032859

Also if anyone figures out how to disable permanent war with the other factions post-victory, please let me know.
I'd also like to remove the Domination victory objectives that involve destroying the opposing major factions that share an alignment with you. In TWH1, you only had to destroy the opposing alignment factions usually.

Subscribed to this before you even posted here.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
As skaven, should I replace all my catapults with warp lightning artillery?

Hahah, I may have unlocked the secret to Queek's start:

I was having a rough time starting his. The lizardmen would just wipe me, Kroq'Gar would just be unstoppable. So I upgrade the first 3 towns to be purely unit production. I had a full stack of stormvermin, globers, and catapults. Then Kroq'Gar conquered the other rats, promptly left leaving all the lands he just took open, and let me just walk through and take them all with no challenge.

The computer is pretty random.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 11, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Tenzarin posted:

As skaven, should I replace all my catapults with warp lightning artillery?

No, the leadership penalties from catapults
are very useful

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's no harm in mixing in both. Plus, you should also consider the different firing arcs of each - catapults in particular are very useful during siege battles, offense or defense, because they can shoot over the walls.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Dragon Princes have excellent stats including top tier speed for a heavy cav unit and gigantic charge bonus. They also have 25% Physical Resist, 70% Fire Resist, and the upgraded form of Martial Prowess, giving them +8 MA/+12MD when over 50% HP.

I expect they'll lose out to stuff like Blood Dragons when mortal empires is released but they're legit one of the best overall heavy cav units in Warhammer.

Ellyrian Reaver archers are also very popular because they're pretty much the only missile cav in the game that's a legit melee threat, and the normal reavers are cost effective light cav with vanguard.

Especially fighting the Dark Elves in the campaign I found Silver Helms very underwhelming. Due to the AP arrow fire they weren't any more survivable than the ellyrian reavers, but they were slower and couldn't vanguard deploy to cut down the amount it time it took to get to the archers. I ended up running 2 units with spears and shields in most armies in even in the very late game to chase around archers and slaughter artillery.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

madmac posted:

I think the worst thing about them is they require their own building with the silver helms being the top unit. You can really easily skip over them. You could use the building slot for a more advanced unit. I feel its the same for the white lions/eagles also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 11, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tenzarin posted:

I think the worst thing about them is they require their own building with the silver helms being the top unit. You can really easily skip over them. You could use the building slot for a more advanced unit. I feel its the same for the white lions/eagles also.

I think all the baseline High Elf Militia type dudes(spearmen, archers, seaguard, silver helms) should be part of the basic barracks line and white lions/eagles/ellyrian reavers should have their own two step "ulthuan auxiliaries" building line.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
twice now I've seen Cult of Pleasure sail a Black Ark straight into the middle of a maelstrom and lose it :psyduck:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

HannibalBarca posted:

twice now I've seen Cult of Pleasure sail a Black Ark straight into the middle of a maelstrom and lose it :psyduck:

Masochism is a hell of a fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HannibalBarca posted:

What about any Chaos Worshipers suggested they were smart people.